Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our local news just featured a story where people drove dozens of cars through the hospital parking lot to wave at the healthcare professionals to show their appreciation.

The hospital employees, dozens of them, were standing side by side, waving back. Not one of them was wearing a mask. They were all wearing scrubs but no masks.

Were the employees inside or outside?

ETA around here they have to turn their masks in.

IMO this is a wonderful respite for both plants and animals, not so much for humans. Maybe we should take this time and be thankful for all the other "life" around us, the "life" we were charged with the care of by God. We were supposed to tend God's garden, not destroy it.

Just a thought.
A lot of councils have already cut back on this in prior years (excuse the pun) and only do it once a year after July. Or they just cut a small piece about 18 inches back from the road. People often still insist on cutting their bits in front of their properties though.
Crew members who are debarking the vessel have been cleared to fly by our medical team, the airline transporting them, and by immigration authorities," according to the cruise line's statement provided by Gulliksen. "They will be taken from the Carnival Valor directly to the airport via chartered busses which will be thoroughly cleaned after each use."
Coronavirus: Carnival Valor lets crew off ship, Ruby Princess raided

More from your link -

"As of Saturday, there were 52,000 crew members remaining aboard 73 cruise ships either docked or anchored in or near U.S. ports, the U.S. Coast Guard said in a statement. Another 41,000 crew members were aboard 41 cruise ships underway close to American shores.

And that doesn't count the thousands of others aboard ships frequented by Americans scattered across the Caribbean and oceans around the world.

The Coast Guard added: "The cruise industry has an ongoing obligation for the care, safety and welfare of their seafarers."

Some crew aren't getting paid anymore, but aren't allowed off the ships. Without the nonstop party atmosphere, life aboard what came billed as floating pleasure palaces has become humdrum for those who once cooked, served or entertained. The fun has disappeared, replaced by a mix of boredom and concern."

Coronavirus: Police shut down 494 house parties in four days in Greater Manchester
People are being reminded they must stay at home after police saw DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles at some parties.

Police in Greater Manchester say they were called to 494 house parties in four days as people continue to flout the coronavirus lockdown.

The force has released maps showing the 1,132 incidents they were called to from 25 March to 7 April.

The Manchester Evening News reported that DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles were found by police.

During the Plague of Justinian and other years during the 1300s, people partied, danced, drank. Maybe it was a way of releasing tension, a middle finger to the virus/plague/authority, who knows. Maybe it was a last dance with MJ. There is nothing new under the sun.

Coronavirus 'could wipe out Brazil's indigenous people'
"There is an incredible risk of the virus spreading across the native communities and wiping them out," says Dr Sofia Mendonça, a researcher at the Federal University of São Paulo (Unifesp).

Dr Mendonça is the co-ordinator of a university-led health project among indigenous peoples in the Xingu river basin in the Amazon rainforest.

She fears the coronavirus could have a similar impact to previous major outbreaks of highly contagious respiratory diseases such as measles.

In the 1960s, a measles outbreak among members of the Yanomami community living near the border with Venezuela killed 9% of those infected.
--------------------------
"While many governors and mayors have ordered restrictions to reduce infections, the president has compared the coronavirus to a "a little flu" and advocated reopening schools and shopping centres.

In the face of government inaction, several indigenous organisations have asked their communities to suspend trips to cities and prevent visitors from entering their territory.

"Whoever is a true friend understands our fragility. Let's keep the coronavirus away from the villages," said a banner posted on a road in Mato Grosso state by members of the Karajá indigenous people."
-----------------------------------------

“This new drug not only has high potential for treating COVID-19 patients, but also appears effective for the treatment of other serious coronavirus infections,” said study senior author Professor Ralph Baric, a virologist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

In addition to ease of treatment, this offers a potential advantage for treating less-ill patients or for prophylaxis — for example, in a nursing home where many people have been exposed but are not yet sick.

“We are amazed at the ability of EIDD-1931 and EIDD-2801 to inhibit all tested coronaviruses and the potential for oral treatment of COVID-19,” said study co-author Dr. Andrea Pruijssers, an antiviral scientist at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Experimental Drug Has Broad Spectrum Antiviral Activity against Multiple Coronaviruses | Medicine | Sci-News.com

An orally bioavailable broad-spectrum antiviral inhibits SARS-CoV-2 in human airway epithelial cell cultures and multiple coronaviruses in mice | Science Translational Medicine

Were the employees inside or outside?

ETA around here they have to turn their masks in.
Outside, standing in front of the hospital. I hadn’t thought about them having to turn their masks in. Even so, I would think they would have been standing 6 ft apart instead of the whole group of them together, side-by-side.

Peru, Panama Limit Movement By Gender In Bid To Slow The Coronavirus

Across the world, officials have been desperately adopting sweeping measures in a bid to keep people separated and the coronavirus at bay. But even among the wide range tried so far, one attempted solution in Peru and Panama has proven unusual: Officials in both countries have begun to limit their residents' movement by gender — with men only allowed to leave the home on some days and women on others.

"We have to get fewer people on the streets every day," Peruvian President Martín Vizcarra explained in comments to his Cabinet ministers Thursday."
--------------------
Vizcarra added that police officers have been instructed to respect trans and nonbinary residents' gender identities, and "not to have homophobic attitudes."

Meanwhile, in Panama, which has seen roughly the same number of confirmed cases and a slightly lower death toll, officials adopted the same measures — albeit with the days reversed — in an announcement of its own earlier this week.

WARNING: HUMOR (A friend sent this to us; I hope no one is offended by it.)

• Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.
• I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.
• I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.
• Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or TheBedroom
• PSA: every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.
• Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.
• I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone
• This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.
• So, after this quarantine.....will the producers of My 600 Pound Life just find me or do I find them?
• Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.
• My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.
• Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.
• I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?
• I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda. I'm getting tired of Los Livingroom.
• Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.
• Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year".... I'm offended.
• Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under
Not to take away the severity of the virus, but haha, love this!

I couldn't sleep, so I decided to watch tv. "12 Monkeys" with Bruce Willis. Bad idea.

I had to google, it’s been so long since that movie came out:

“Traveling back in time isn't simple, as James Cole (Bruce Willis) learns the hard way. Imprisoned in the 2030s, James is recruited for a mission that will send him back to the 1990s. Once there, he's supposed to gather information about a nascent plague that's about to exterminate the vast majority of the world's population. But, aside from the manic Jeffrey (Brad Pitt), he gets little in the way of cooperation, not least from medical gatekeepers like Dr. Kathryn Railly (Madeleine Stowe).
Release date: December 27, 1995 (USA)”
—-
12 Monkeys (1995) - IMDb

The Disney Wonder cruise arrived in San Diego on March 19 and now we've learned that several crew members and passengers have tested positive for COVID. My niece was on that cruise, and now is deathly ill with pneumonia and is presumed COVID positive. She has multiple health challenges and required an organ transplant last year.

From what I understand, the company is offering these passengers a cruise next year for half price. (!)

San Diego ends cruise ship deliveries after Disney Wonder passenger, crew member test positive

Oh no, musicaljoke...I am so sorry to hear this! All the best for your niece and your family that she recovers from this! Please keep us updated.

US evacuees sprayed with unknown chemicals by Peruvian authorities during coronavirus quarantine

BBM Authorities in Peru sprayed down a group of American tourists and other foreigners trying to leave the country with an unknown chemical after imposing a mandatory coronavirus quarantine on their hostel, according to video footage and accounts from several of the evacuees.

The substance discoloured the Americans' clothing and smelled like bleach, but authorities would not tell them what it was, said the evacuees, who shared photos of their stained garments.

“We were shocked,” said Daniel Voznyarskiy, a student at the University of Washington who returned to the United States last week after an involuntary two-week quarantine in southern Peru. “We had no warning whatsoever. They made us do a 360, sprayed us with bleach and sprayed our bags. I closed my eyes and plugged my nose.”
-------------------------------------------------------
The dousing marked a low point for Mr Voznyarskiy and dozens of other tourists who were quarantined at the Pariwana hostel in Cusco for two weeks after the government identified two hostel guests as carriers of the coronavirus and prevented anyone from leaving.

Instead of removing the guests who tested positive for the virus, local authorities ordered a mandatory quarantine of at least 28 days for all of the guests, telling some they may have to stay several months."
-------------------------------------------
The more than 120 hostel guests, including several Americans, struggled to practice social distancing in cramped quarters with bunk beds. Many of the guests kept in communication through a group-messaging service, which lit up on the night of 29 March when guests began alerting one another that they were being lined up outside and sprayed with a mystery chemical.

“We were all pretty scared in the group chat,” said Patrick Beach, an Orlando resident who travelled to Cusco on vacation with his girlfriend. “You hear chlorine or bleach, and you know you're not supposed to touch it. So the idea of being sprayed with it is very scary.”
----------------------------------------
The Americans were told by authorities that they could be shot on sight if they left the hostel, even if they had documentation showing that they had a repatriation flight arranged by the US government, Ms Beach said.

Eventually, the Peruvian government, which had suspended international flights last month with 24 hours notice, approved chartered flights by the US government and allowed the Americans to leave the hostel.

“I went to Peru to see Machu Picchu,” Mr Voznyarskiy said. “I didn't expect to be bleached.”

“This new drug not only has high potential for treating COVID-19 patients, but also appears effective for the treatment of other serious coronavirus infections,” said study senior author Professor Ralph Baric, a virologist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

In addition to ease of treatment, this offers a potential advantage for treating less-ill patients or for prophylaxis — for example, in a nursing home where many people have been exposed but are not yet sick.

“We are amazed at the ability of EIDD-1931 and EIDD-2801 to inhibit all tested coronaviruses and the potential for oral treatment of COVID-19,” said study co-author Dr. Andrea Pruijssers, an antiviral scientist at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Experimental Drug Has Broad Spectrum Antiviral Activity against Multiple Coronaviruses | Medicine | Sci-News.com

An orally bioavailable broad-spectrum antiviral inhibits SARS-CoV-2 in human airway epithelial cell cultures and multiple coronaviruses in mice | Science Translational Medicine

This is exciting! I hope clinical trials have good results.

IMF warns of Great Depression-level impact, restrictions set to be extended: Today's Covid-19 main points

(Ireland)

THE NUMBER OF confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Ireland now sits at 6,074 while the number of people who have died from coronavirus-related illnesses has reached 235.

The figures were released by the Department of Health last evening.

The Government, on the advice of the National Public Health Emergency Team, is expected to extend the existing restrictions on movement for a number of weeks over the coming days.

Meanwhile, gardaí have established fixed checkpoints across the country to discourage members of the public from travelling to their holiday homes for the Easter weekend.

Here are today’s Covid-19 main points:

• There are now 224 people in ICU with the Covid-19 disease, and the median age of the 25 additional people who died in the past 24 hours was 80.
  • Ireland’s Covid-19 welfare supports could cost the government nearly €5 billion in three months, according to a new report from the Economic & Social Research Institute (ESRI).
  • Minister for Health Simon Harris has said that the Covid-19 restrictions are set to be extended for at least a “few more weeks”.
  • Debenhams is closing all of its Irish stores and will go into liquidation.
  • Dublin, Galway and Waterford councils have reported an increase in reports of illegal dumping during the current health crisis.
  • It will cost €50,000 each day the Dáil sits at Dublin’s Convention Centre and a once-off €110,000 expense to install microphones in the venue, due to the inability for all TDs to social distance at Leinster House.
  • Trinity College Dublin and AIB are set to establish a research hub on campus to accelerate an immunology project aimed at tackling the Covid-19 coronavirus.
  • The Airports Council International has said passenger travel during the month of March fell by 60% and that restoring air transport will be a ‘cornerstone’ of economic recovery when the world emerges from the Covid-19 emergency.
  • A new ‘My Heroes’ campaign has launched today allowing members of the public post messages of support about frontline workers in healthcare, defence and other sectors.
  • Transparency International Ireland has published guidance on whistleblowing for workers and guidance for employers in relation to wrongdoing, ethical misconduct or health and safety risks in the workplaceduring the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Staff of the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital gathered this morning to applaud the Irish public for staying at home and helping to slow the spread of Covid-19.
  • The Government has added 850 new beds to direct provision centres over the past two weeks to alleviate issues around the ability to adhere to social distancing rules as well as setting up a dedicated phone line for Direct Provision centre staff to help implement self-isolation measures.

Also in the article-

• The IMF is warning that we could be heading towards a major recession. Today, IMF chief Kristalina Georgieva warned that coronavirus is causing an economic crisis unlike any in the past century. “We anticipate the worst economic fallout since the Great Depression,” she said.

Coronavirus: Teacher walks five miles a day to deliver free school meals to children

Coronavirus: Teacher walks five miles a day to deliver free school meals to children
Grimsby assistant headteacher Zane Powles delivers 78 packed lunches to children who qualify for free school meals every morning.

A Grimsby primary school teacher has been hailed a local hero for walking five miles every day to make sure disadvantaged children get a decent lunch during the coronavirus lockdown.

Every morning, Zane Powles delivers 78 packed lunches to children who qualify for free school meals, each containing a sandwich, a packet of crisps, a biscuit and an apple.

The assistant headteacher at Western Primary School says the discomfort of carrying heavy food around the empty streets in his rucksack is nothing compared with the ordeal faced by families forced to stay at home.

The school's executive head, Kim Leach, delivers lunches in her car to children who live further away, in what she describes as a vital service.

My daughter is involved in a similar program to feed the children. I asked why? She told me these people are so poor there isn't enough food to feed them.

Okay, we live in a somewhat isolated backwoods area, but . . . don't these parents, who are so poor, collect food stamps?

When I lived in PA, a Philly suburb, parents were selling their food stamps, some for durg/alcohol money, some for fake nails/whatever. Isn't the food stamp program supposed to be used to feed the children/poor families? What's happening here? Are the kiddies being fed and the food stamps going for whatever?

48 hours is nothing wrt incubation last I heard...it can be up to 14 days....I’m so confused.

@margarita25

I will try to find a link- from what I know in Croatia, and also in our neighboring countries, the epidemiologists are also asking for your contacts in last 48 hours, only contacts that lasted 15 minutes or more.

They were explaining it few days ago on national TV and the epidemiologist said that the infected person is highly contagious 48 hours before showing symptoms.
Also, the duration of the contact matters- I guess it has something to do with the viral load.

If/ when I find a link, I will upload it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong