Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the Americans are now sitting at home, not going to work. So they are using much more toilet paper at home than usual, since before they used toilet paper their workplace provided while they were working, and now they can't do that. Since people spend 8 hours at work, that's third of toilet paper they are no longer able to use.
Some may even have pinched the odd roll or two from work if they were low at home.

The first wave of Americans will receive stimulus payouts starting today, according to an internal plan circulated by IRS Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, The Washington Post reports.
First round of coronavirus stimulus checks on the way

animated-cheerleader-image-0028.gif

Let's hope that EIDD-2801 works then.
Nets Hype Experimental Virus Treatments, Bash Drug Boosted By Trump

Tonight I feel I'm being held captive watching heart touching clips then horrible predictions. There's so much going on in the news, lots of hopes vs lots of sad news and it's making me feel bipolar.

Last night I posted about my own experience taking Plaquenil with no side effects. I see in the article there's concern for a few people having a heart reaction; however, there's some claiming it helped get them on the road to recovery. I'm just shocked at the controversy all over the news about it. It has done wonders for many people with RA and Lupus, and has been around a long time.

It's done wonders, but the only trouble is we can't get our Rx Refills now.

But... I understand that there hasn't been enough formal trials testing it on Covid patients. Announcements were made to the public, Dr. Oz and Trump were very hyped up about it and voiced high hopes for the anti malarial drug, perhaps too often and too soon. Unfortunately, it has created big controversy and a shortage of the drug for patients depending on it.

I take it for RA. I heard on my local news I'm not the only one who only got 14 days worth. A little girl with Lupus, which affects her kidneys and organs, takes hydroxychloroquine and that little girl only got only 14 days! They want us to keep going back to the pharmacy when we're suppose to stay home? I have no problem being shorted, but they better make sure that little girl doesn't have kidney failure. What a mess with all these shortages and viewpoints.

I try to keep my mind on something else other than the virus, but our governor takes up the morning shows, then in the afternoons the city health officials talk and they all want a turn, and then later the mayor, oh and the President, of course. I've heard it all. Thankfully, we have great streaming capabilities to ease the boredom of Pandemic Isolation. Whew, :oops: I guess I needed to get that off my mind.

Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) Shortage Causing Concern | Arthritis Foundation

Lupus, arthritis patients fear potential hydroxychloroquine shortages after Trump's statements
I do have some friends with RA and or Lupus--they are really worried about the shortage. But I do think that they have put on a super acceleration to get more and more.. So I personally believe that before "too" long, patients on it, as well as doctors who want to prescribe it for covid will both be ok. My bigger concern is if we don't get the full Fed battle cry for antibodies, vaccines and other more targeted treatments.... then the due dilligence that should be taking place, and managed by doctors and scientists will not come to the forefront soon enough.
I've only seen the self uploaded/non-peer reviewed/non published article that was posted on this thread https://chemrxiv.org/articles/COVID...ding_to_Porphyrin/11938173/files/21961434.pdf . Can you share others that you have followed which butresses this as I have been searching Google Scholar and found none, and my alerts are coming up with nothing also on this. I would like to read as ARDs seems to be primary from what I've seen, vs heme issue. TIA

i am going to be trying to do some heavier research... The first article I had seen before it was mentioned on MSM, was this one. I just feel this Hemoglobin issue breaking down before the severe lung fluids building up is so signficant. It sort of --anecdotally of course--explains when people start to feel better but then crash. moo moo. Anyway this article is mostly about the EIDD.... As stated, I am going to continue to research the connection to the Hemoglobin.
A new antiviral drug heading into clinical trials offers hope for COVID-19 treatment — in part because it can be taken as a pill | Emory University | Atlanta, GA

In these uncertain times, women “have to lock down their uterus,” Abebe Shibru, Zimbabwe country director for Marie Stopes International, told The Associated Press. “But there is no way in a rural area.”
Coronavirus lockdowns mean millions of women can’t access birth control
Has it been discussed on here about women getting the abortion pill to use at home? The morning after pill is it ? This is current UK regulations AFAIK although it flip flopped a few times I believe.

"Coronavirus: Home abortions approved during outbreak - BBC News" Home abortions allowed during coronavirus outbreak

Amazing how easy they can make it if they want to. Some of these changes may even stay in place like this one and the doctor's phone interviews.

Last edited:
Stay home over Easter to stop virus, public told

People should follow the government's coronavirus rules and stay home over the Easter weekend, as warmer weather is forecast across parts of the UK.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said the UK was "just beginning to see this strategy starting to work" and people needed to "stick with it".

Temperatures are forecast to reach 25C (77F) in some parts of the country, according to the Met Office.

Some police forces have warned of a crackdown on people flouting the rules.

It comes as Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab - who is deputising for the prime minister while he continues his treatment in intensive care - chairs a virtual meeting of the emergency Cobra committee to discuss the lockdown measures.

The rules, which were brought in on 23 March, are due to be officially reviewed next week.

Clear your cookies and you get 3 free NYT articles, same with WaPo. Also if you have several browsers, try switching browsers to let you read.
hmmm. i usually run out of "free" ones. I have a subscription to WashPo, but not NYT... I will try the cookies clearing..well I will try to figure out how to remove cookies... thanks for the help

Coronavirus updates: Dominic Raab to give latest UK briefing - BBC News

Summary
  1. Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab to lead the UK briefing with Boris Johnson absent
  2. The PM remains in intensive care but condition "improving"
  3. Confirmed coronavirus cases around the world pass 1.5 million, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University
  4. Almost 90,000 people have died with the virus
  5. A further 6.6 million people file for unemployment benefits in the US
  6. The virus could push half a billion people into poverty, Oxfam warns
  7. Spain close to passing the worst of the coronavirus outbreak, government says
  8. Some European countries cautiously start to ease lockdown measures

hmmm. i usually run out of "free" ones. I have a subscription to WashPo, but not NYT... I will try the cookies clearing..well I will try to figure out how to remove cookies... thanks for the help
Firefox-three horizontal lines at right-options-privacy & security-cookies & site data; pretty much the same in Brave. Actually NYT has free entry now, but you have to sign up with your email.

Be careful, clearing cookies on my computer signed me out of all of my accounts with "saved" passwords. I had to reset a lot of them because I forgot them. FYI

There has been an article in the medical journal TheLancet on a similar theme - the cytokine storm.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanrhe/article/PIIS2665-9913(20)30092-8/fulltext
I do have some friends with RA and or Lupus--they are really worried about the shortage. But I do think that they have put on a super acceleration to get more and more.. So I personally believe that before "too" long, patients on it, as well as doctors who want to prescribe it for covid will both be ok. My bigger concern is if we don't get the full Fed battle cry for antibodies, vaccines and other more targeted treatments.... then the due dilligence that should be taking place, and managed by doctors and scientists will not come to the forefront soon enough.

i am going to be trying to do some heavier research... The first article I had seen before it was mentioned on MSM, was this one. I just feel this Hemoglobin issue breaking down before the severe lung fluids building up is so signficant. It sort of --anecdotally of course--explains when people start to feel better but then crash. moo moo. Anyway this article is mostly about the EIDD.... As stated, I am going to continue to research the connection to the Hemoglobin.
A new antiviral drug heading into clinical trials offers hope for COVID-19 treatment — in part because it can be taken as a pill | Emory University | Atlanta, GA
The link I posted to the Lancet article (see my post above) has a section at the bottom where you can access many other published CV19 articles. There might be some info in there.

My mother is in a nursing home and has dementia. I am very concerned about her. I cannot take care of her for multiple reasons even though I would like to take care of her. I have not seen her for a month and it is very worrisome. The Nursing home tells me that she is fine, talking and comfortable - if true, I am grateful for that. I do have a worker at the Nursing home that gives me updates several times during the week.
I'm sorry that you are going through this, and understand that many people are unable to care for family members at home. It must be upsetting to not be able to see her, but I am glad to hear that you are getting some information from a worker at the nursing home. I take some comfort in the fact, that my mom doesn't have any idea what's going on in regards to the virus. My mom calls me "mom" now. Hugs to you

Be careful, clearing cookies on my computer signed me out of all of my accounts with "saved" passwords. I had to reset a lot of them because I forgot them. FYI
There is usually an option to leave passwords alone.

In Firefox, under the "cookies and site data" there is another section called "logins and passwords" ie which to save.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that you are going through this, and understand that many people are unable to care for family members at home. It must be upsetting to not be able to see her, but I am glad to hear that you are getting some information from a worker at the nursing home. I take some comfort in the fact, that my mom doesn't have any idea what's going on in regards to the virus. My mom calls me "mom" now. Hugs to you
Can the nurses set up Facetime for you .... if she "saw" you it might be helpful...

That's true. If living farther apart reduced transmission, our rates would be lower, but if you stopped all transportation and inter-city travel, that could lower the rates. What is interesting is that the more out of control the outbreak, the sooner the peak, the more people sick and the more deaths, according to our projections.

At the same time, your peak is 2-3 weeks and ours is 4-6 weeks.

Well, yes.

I guess the reason may be in the fact that Croatia has stopped all public transport between cities and also forbade car transport- if you want to drive 10 km to a nearby village, you have to have a license from government to do so.

They did this radically to prevent virus from spreading from bigger towns, and it was right thing to do.

But, as we have had massive earthquake in our capital, lots of people lost their homes and fled to the families all over the country and the police (they are all over the major roads) did not stop them- the people were just told to self- isolate for 2 weeks.

Some of them listened, some of them did not.

Also, we have a virus spread in two nursing homes, few hundred people in each of them plus workers... so, we will see.

All this projections were made in the beginning of the pandemic, with models of input that had rather changed in all of the countries, depending mostly on the population´s behavior.

Mostly, the people take this measures seriously, but some of them are not.

You know, it is kind of depressing to think that people of my generation (1971.) and older have fought war here, not so long ago, and the generation of our kids can´t endure few weeks at home, with running water, heating, electricity, food- and, not to mention, play station and Netflix.:confused:

I just defrosted our frozen milk last night. I am still unsure of how well it worked...

We used it in coffee this morning--when you pour it, it flows out kind of lumpy.... And it seems kind of watery and tasteless. o_O

I haven't tried it on cereal or used it for cooking yet.
Did you blend it before using it? They had a guest on a show I watched yesterday, whom said it should be blended well before use. I haven't tried freezing it yet. MOO

Peru, Panama Limit Movement By Gender In Bid To Slow The Coronavirus

Across the world, officials have been desperately adopting sweeping measures in a bid to keep people separated and the coronavirus at bay. But even among the wide range tried so far, one attempted solution in Peru and Panama has proven unusual: Officials in both countries have begun to limit their residents' movement by gender — with men only allowed to leave the home on some days and women on others.

"We have to get fewer people on the streets every day," Peruvian President Martín Vizcarra explained in comments to his Cabinet ministers Thursday."
--------------------
Vizcarra added that police officers have been instructed to respect trans and nonbinary residents' gender identities, and "not to have homophobic attitudes."

Meanwhile, in Panama, which has seen roughly the same number of confirmed cases and a slightly lower death toll, officials adopted the same measures — albeit with the days reversed — in an announcement of its own earlier this week.
That's a good idea. I can't help thinking of the Monty Python stoning sketch though in the Life of Brian.

Last edited:
With a political battle underway over the use of a malaria drug to treat coronavirus, Rutgers Cancer Institute has launched a clinical trial that could yield results as soon as next month, officials said Wednesday.

Dr. Steven Libutti, the institute's director, said researchers will study the response of 160 COVID-19 patients to hydroxychloroquine, a drug that previously has been used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

"We feel the pressure to accrue (data) as quickly as we can," Libutti said.

The trial is starting as New Jersey remains a hotspot for the coronavirus. The state as of Wednesday reported more than 47,000 cases and 1,500 deaths, trailing only New York.

George Lowe, 65, of Sayreville, and the radiology administrator at Mount Sinai Queens, came down with COVID-19 two weeks ago. He suspects he got the disease at the hospital, where his department performed X-rays and other imaging tests on coronavirus patients.

His doctor prescribed him a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, an antibiotic. But it took 16 days before he began to think his fever had broken. While on hydroxychloroquine, Lowe said his fever was a roller coaster, up and down, and he began to hallucinate. But did it do the job?

"You want to tell everyone what you think they want to hear," Lowe said. "Everyone is depending on you to kind of help them feel better about you. I don’t know what helped. Sometimes I thought it helped. Sometimes my chest hurt."

Hydroxychloroquine: Can malaria drug defend coronavirus? Rutgers researchers to find out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine