Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am absolutely disgusted with the Daily Mail website for showing photos and video of the mass graves in Hart Island New York. People have enough distress and anxiety without having to see that. The media has no sense of dignity and decency for the poor people who have lost their lives. It is utterly shameful publishing these extremely distressing images and video to generate clicks for advertising.

I understand, but the same amounts should be needed at home or outside of the home and I assume this is why we have shortages at grocery stores. They need to work out how to get those products to us via the grocery.

An awful lot of people bought out shelf stable almond milk where I live. The only time some kids have cow's milk is at school. t

I wonder if parents continue to pour milk at home when they see that their kids won't drink it (and will wait for juice or lemonade...or water).

I just love how fast every single thing is changing in the United States. Things that would have been absolutely unprecedented, is now, "Sure, they sent official government documents thru email" just approve it.

Stuff I am approving now at work, would have got me fired a month ago.

It was, "No one wear a mask". Now, "mask wearing is mandatory". It is actually just hilarious. Sorry, my sense of humor is just sort of odd lately.

Ditto here. What last month would have meant waiting a week and then driving into the village for a 1/2 hr in-person appointment at the bank, was today just an over-the-phone chat today that took less than 10 minutes.

I've also read 20% can have intestinal problems with nausea, and throwing up along with diarrhea.

I hadn't been in the hospital since 1987 when I had a hysterectomy.

I dont even have colds or the flu even though my hubby does, and when I'm his caregiver I still didnt catch the flu or colds. I dont get viruses either.

However in February 29, 2020 I woke up at 2am feeling very nauseated. Then began the worst experience I've ever had. I didn't have diarrhea, but the throwing up continued all that Saturday only getting worse. My hubby was begging me to go to the hospital, but I told him I had probably just picked up a virus, and it would go away. It didn't. At 3:00am Sunday morning he gave me no choice. They immediately admitted me. I couldnt eat, or drink anything. I guess I had thrown up so much it made the top part of my stomach raw, and inflamed. It literally felt like someone was ripping me open in the area in the middle right below my breasts. That pain continued for 6 days so I had nothing to drink or eat simply because it was too painful when it hit that specific area.

I have a high toleration pain level. I know this having to live with constant spinal pain.

But at one point I told my hubby I just wanted to die because I couldnt tolerate the pain anymore. To say the least that caused many tears to be shed by him, and our children too, but at the time, I meant it.

They gave me all sorts of meds in my IV ports. I had three ports at one time being used. One was potassium because it was critically low when admitted from all of the vomiting. I continued to have it thru that Friday until the doctor changed it to powdered potassium mixed with apple juice which I was finally able to swallow although still extremely painful.

On that Thursday I received three more flower arrangements. Then all of a sudden I began to sneeze, cough uncontrollably, gag, and it was hard to breathe. I don't have allergies, but to be safe my hubby took all flowersout of my room, and brought them home. It wasnt the flowers for it continued, and even when I came home it continued for over 2 weeks.

Then on Friday the night nurse insisted I take more liquid potassium even though I told her it had been changed to powder. It burned when taking it thru the IV.
I told her three times i wanted it by mouth. She ignored me so the port blewout. So I wound up with my hand swelling 10 times it's normal size. I thought my skin was literally going to explode before she came to take the port out. It was hurting so badly I thought I was going to pass out. Even now over a month later it's still swollen, and a knot is still on the top of my hand.

I had many tests ran during my stay. One was an endoscopy which I wound up going into Afib once the given propofol, and lidocaine. I was then rushed to the cardiologist floor resulting in several heart tests being run after then. All of those came out great.

I had never had any heart problems before in my entire life. In fact all of my vitals were perfect. The nurses even commented on how my vitals would usually be seen in someone who is in their 20s. Other tests I was to have done were also aborted three times due to the ineptness of the hospital staff.

Finally I had had enough of the unnecessary emotional, and physical trauma, and my family members were also beyond being enraged.

So we all demanded I be released so I could get out of that hell hole, and go home.

I still dont know what in the heck happened to me though on February 29th, but I never ever want to go thru it again.

This is the same hospital that virus patients must go to for care. Our area is the hotspot for my state. I'm saddened anyone has to depend on this hospital, nurses, and doctors. While there are still good nurses, and doctors there, many are not.

This is why it has a notoriously bad reputation way before this deadly virus struck our area.

God help all who wind up there for care.

Jmho

Propofol is a great drug, isn't it? I woke up after one surgery thinking "Hey, you know, Michael Jackson may have had a point." I take really well to anesthesia, though, which may not be everyone's experience, and wake up raring to eat a full meal at the nearest diner. Glad you are better. Over the weekend my sciatica took my right leg basically out of commission and I'm still getting back up to speed from it, and I hate pain. (Oddly enough, I apparently don't hate pain enough to start doing "core strengthening" on my own; and I can't lose weight while quarantining to save my life).

I also had problems presenting in the opposite side of my calf a few months ago (every step I took was searing pain; and living in NYC I walk everywhere and keep up a good pace doing it, so you can imagine how alarming it is to feel like it's not flexible enough); only that time I got out of it by dint of much flexing, stretching, and twisting; to the point where I thought "Geez, have parts of my calf somehow mysteriously atrophied even though I walk everywhere; and although I had been averaging 40 minutes' hearty treadmilling at the gym for the month pre-quarantine?"

I hope nobody ever has to go to that hospital again, cringe.

What's it like in most of these other countries? I have to admit I find it odd that everyone in the US acts like you must keep a cat locked inside full time.

I have a two-YO neutered male tuxedo. He is kept indoors, but we have a large screened area he has access to unless it is very hot or cold. He is a Florida cat; if you open the doors when it is cold he runs away. You can't make me!!

The county I am in is also quite rural. The Humane society has a special program for barn cats. You do have to have a building for shelter, and promise to feed the cats, and give them medical care. I do like the program, because some ferals just will not thrive indoors.

The fact is they don't know yet if Hydroxychloroquine and a combo mix can help in CV-19. Hence, the studies now being conducted.

I will say this after being on the drug for years. I started taking it for RA in the 90's and then again started back on it several years ago. I do not remember any doctor being concerned about my heart or heart rhythms, nor did any doctor warn me of that. The main concern was for eye sight. I have had absolutely no side effects, and it has helped me so much. Now, perhaps, doctors could tell from looking at my chart that I have low blood pressure, or a strong heart, but I never heard any concerns regarding heart. I'd like to see data showing how many people have taken the drug and had no problems, tons of people take it, compared to the few that did have problems. I would think a doctor would know which patient should avoid that drug.

Please know, I'm not sticking up for anyone politically, but maybe some of this criticism about even trying the drug for CV-19 is political.
You and I have been on doses for RA. But we don’t know what the protocol is for this usage. It could be much more, which could cause other issues. The other thing is that if it’s being used in conjunction with a second medication that can also cause heart issues(and it is), it’s more likely to cause a significant medical event.

I wore a mask for the first time about a month ago. I'm in NYC and have emphysema. I live in a 23-story building, and ran into a good friend in the elevator. He was teasing me about the mask, but I told him that I had to go to the supermarket and since I'm 62 with COPD, I couldn't take the chance. I had worn the mask for approximately one minute at the time, and pulled it down to talk to him. But truthfully, I felt kind of stupid and also found it uncomfortable and difficult to breathe. He told me that his wife (my friend for 30+ years) was begging him to wear a mask, because she is homebound and has severe asthma. Then he told me that he just will not wear a mask (very few in my neighborhood were wearing it then). He works with an optician, has to deal with customers and has to do all the running around because his wife is homebound. It was too inconvenient and silly.
Yesterday, his wife died. She was also 62. He is a good guy who has taken care of his wife for years, and took care of his son when he was young, too. He is pierced to the marrow in case he brought something home to her. It hasn't been determined yet if she had Covid. She only spent two days in the hospital and he doesn't appear to be ill. She wasn't a well person to begin with, so it may be something else that killed her. But every time I think about how maybe it would be different had he worn a mask....
Please, everyone, don't give up on the precautions. One never knows.

You and I have been on doses for RA. But we don’t know what the protocol is for this usage. It could be much more, which could cause other issues. The other thing is that if it’s being used in conjunction with a second medication that can also cause heart issues(and it is), it’s more likely to cause a significant medical event.

I respect the points you brought up.
I hope you don't think I'm being argumentative when I bring up my thoughts in regards to Hydroxychloroquine.
(1) I've seen what dosage some doctors are saying was CV-19 successful, and it's not anymore mg than I've taken before. I've taken 400 mg for years in the 90's , instead of just ten days like a CV-patient might. (2) True, if the patient is taking other medication or has some underlying condition that the doctor feels would create heart issues then it would definitely be up to the doctor to not authorize that drug for that patient.

This virus moves in so fast and kills so fast. Yes, side-effects to the heart are of consideration, but also, so is, stopping this virus from killing the patient. Ventilators kill some patients too. So, all this criticism about one drug, that's been around awhile with much success in other conditions, mystifies me.

BTW, when there's talk of the USPS stopping service, I can't believe I got this bulky envelope in the mail from my health care provider containing an annual colon stool test at a time like this! They just shorted me on my Rx refill counting it as a full refill, and didn't care at all, but they're worried about my colon at a time like this. They keep sending me emails that they are there for me, but all I needed was my refill, so I wish they'd get it together.

Some farmers in UK have machines and sell raw milk straight to customers. It's very popular. Or they could make it into cheese or ice cream. Also, don't the dairies have contracts and have to buy the milk?

Back in the 70's and 80's there was a government program that purchased milk, to keep the prices up for dairy farmers. They made this government cheese, and gave it away to older people, people with disabilities, low income, on the rez. It was a huge 5 lb. block of American cheese.

The fact is they don't know yet if Hydroxychloroquine and a combo mix can help in CV-19. Hence, the studies now being conducted.

I will say this after being on the drug for years. I started taking it for RA in the 90's and then again started back on it several years ago. I do not remember any doctor being concerned about my heart or heart rhythms, nor did any doctor warn me of that. The main concern was for eye sight. I have had absolutely no side effects, and it has helped me so much. Now, perhaps, doctors could tell from looking at my chart that I have low blood pressure, or a strong heart, but I never heard any concerns regarding heart. I'd like to see data showing how many people have taken the drug and had no problems, tons of people take it, compared to the few that did have problems. I would think a doctor would know which patient should avoid that drug.

Please know, I'm not sticking up for anyone politically, but maybe some of this criticism about even trying the drug for CV-19 is political.

Yet, as someone with a congenital heart arrhythmia, it might not be the drug for me.

And yes, doctors would certainly ask a person to fill out a family history before prescribing. But what if the patient is already on a ventilator and there is no family history available?

That's just one of the many problems of a pandemic. People are found unconscious or with such acute breathing problems that they cannot give a family history and do not have one written out. Doesn't hurt to have it written out, along with any advanced directive.

I respect the points you brought up.
I hope you don't think I'm being argumentative when I bring up my thoughts in regards to Hydroxychloroquine.
(1) I've seen what dosage some doctors are saying was CV-19 successful, and it's not anymore mg than I've taken before. I've taken 400 mg for years in the 90's , instead of just ten days like a CV-patient might. (2) True, if the patient is taking other medication or has some underlying condition that the doctor feels would create heart issues then it would definitely be up to the doctor to not authorize that drug for that patient.

This virus moves in so fast and kills so fast. Yes, side-effects to the heart are of consideration, but also, so is, stopping this virus from killing the patient. Ventilators kill some patients too. So, all this criticism about one drug that's been around awhile with much success in other conditions mystifies me.

BTW, when there's talk of the USPS stopping service, I can't believe I got this bulky envelope in the mail from my health care provider containing an annual colon stool test at a time like this! They just shorted me on my Rx refill counting it as a full refill, and didn't care at all, but they're worried about my colon at a time like this. They keep sending me emails that they are there for me, but all I needed was my refill, so I wish they'd get it together.

I'd prefer not to be killed by a drug that would only complicate underlying heart conditions I have. So there can be no blanket use. Doctors are using it - but it's not for everyone.

It's no panacea.

Our governor closed PA schools for the rest of the year today because the number of positive cases continues to grow. All school will happen virtually or with paper packets sent home weekly. My husband and I are both teachers with our own own school age kids at home. <modsnip:>

I’m SO VERY GRATEFUL for all the people on the frontlines doing their jobs and equally thankful for all the people staying home!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member