Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
US federal government plans to buy $2 billion worth of ventilators to distribute to states

The US Department of Health and Human Services is planning on buying $2 billion worth of ventilators for its strategic national stockpile and will distribute the needed medical equipment to states, a department spokesperson said on Friday.

[...]

HHS said this week it's planning on awarding more contracts like the GM and Philips deals for more ventilators. The HHS office that runs the stockpile has also encouraged state governments to use and to try to tap into their own supplies of ventilators.

"We have been pleased to see states like Oregon, California and Washington step up to do this," the HHS spokesperson said. "Ordering and supplying brand new ventilators takes time; states and hospitals should do what they can today to get resources where they are needed most."

Coronavirus live news and updates: Pandemic changes way of life - CNN

Defense secretary says another 300 military personnel will deploy to help NYC hospitals

f919aeb5-3fb9-4fef-9399-fdc1c2dd3456.jpg

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper speaks at a press conference at the Pentagon on March 5.

[...]

Appearing on CBS “This Morning” Esper said, "we've deployed to 11 New York City hospitals 350 doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists and today we will be deploying another 300 to help those local hospital workers who've been struggling mightily to keep on top of the (coronavirus) cases help them out provide them some additional relief from the Department of Defense".

[...]

The deployment of military medical personnel directly to hospitals represents a recent change in tactics for the Defense Department. At first the military wanted to transfer equipment to the civilians and stay largely out of the way. Then it agreed to do overflow and non-coronavirus patients, then coronavirus overflow and now hundreds of military doctors are surging on the frontlines in New York-area hospitals.

Coronavirus pandemic: Live updates - CNN

Military medical personnel hold a special place in my heart. Especially the Navy Corpsmen embedded with the Marines. My son was in a CAAT platoon stationed at a remote Mash type unit in Syria. It is amazing what the medical personnel could accomplish under those conditions and lacking supplies. The surgeons brought my son in to teach him life saving measures in case he and his boys ran into trouble. This group of surgeons were awarded Bronze Stars.

The service members deployed have absolutely got this.

God Bless Them.

The federal government may issue Americans certificates of immunity from the coronavirus at some point, Dr. Anthony Fauci said today on CNN.

"I mean, it's one of those things that we talk about when we want to make sure that we know who the vulnerable people are and not," said Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. "This is something that's being discussed. I think it might actually have some merit, under certain circumstances."
Fauci: US may issue coronavirus immunity cards

WATCH: Covid-19 measures to remain in place until 5 May

(Ireland)

The Taoiseach has announced that the Covid-19 restrictions will be extened for a further three weeks until Tuesday 5 May.

Leo Varadkar made the announcement this afternoon following a meeting of the National Public Health Emergency team today.

He thanked the Irish people for their forbearance and sacrifice, in the effort to stop the spread of Covid-19.

Mr Varadkar said that because the vast majority of people have heeded the advice, the spread of the virus has been disrupted.

He said the spread has been slowed but it has not been stopped, adding that too many people had died and that "many more will die and many more will get sick before this is over".

The Taoiseach said "people are wondering when live will get back to normal. We are working toward that, planning carefully, so we get there safely. No one knows for certain when that will be, or how are lives will be different. All we can do is take one day at a time".

He asked people to choose solidarity over self interest.
Another 3 weeks. Will have to look at Ireland's statistics.

Found this so far.

"Ireland Coronavirus: 6,574 Cases and 263 Deaths - Worldometer" Ireland Coronavirus: 6,574 Cases and 263 Deaths - Worldometer

"Coronavirus: Northern Ireland people given Dublin payout 'must give it back' - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk" Coronavirus: Northern Ireland people given Dublin payout 'must give it back'

Last edited:
Ammon Bundy vows to defy stay-at-home orders for Easter gathering - CNN
(CNN)Ammon Bundy, the rancher who led an armed occupation of a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon, said he plans on holding an Easter gathering despite stay-at-home orders implemented during the coronavirus pandemic.

Bundy told CNN he wants to gather several hundred people in Idaho at a yet-to-be-announced location. He said he believes it's his constitutional right to assemble, even as state and local officials urge people to socially distance to avoid spreading the virus further.
"Our goal is to get enough people together and secure our rights... we are not trying to provoke, we want people to be able to worship," Bundy said in a phone interview.

US federal government plans to buy $2 billion worth of ventilators to distribute to states

The US Department of Health and Human Services is planning on buying $2 billion worth of ventilators for its strategic national stockpile and will distribute the needed medical equipment to states, a department spokesperson said on Friday.

[...]

HHS said this week it's planning on awarding more contracts like the GM and Philips deals for more ventilators. The HHS office that runs the stockpile has also encouraged state governments to use and to try to tap into their own supplies of ventilators.

"We have been pleased to see states like Oregon, California and Washington step up to do this," the HHS spokesperson said. "Ordering and supplying brand new ventilators takes time; states and hospitals should do what they can today to get resources where they are needed most."

Coronavirus live news and updates: Pandemic changes way of life - CNN

This is good for adding new Ventilators whenever the manufacturers can supply them. They mention these will be added to their "stockpile". I would really love to know how many (if any) they already had in that "stockpile" and if those have already been distributed to the states or not.

I think its really good to have the government stockpile certain critical things like this. I know there is some sort of seed bank where seeds are kept in a mountain vault somewhere.

I hope there is some oversight of the HHS office that runs the stockpile. It makes me wonder how many other things that should have stockpiles and how much is really stockpiled or not.

A medical center in Maryland is using technology to help others cope with the grief and death of a loved one. During the pandemic, Medstar Montgomery Medical Center is providing an iPad or device in each unit so patients can contact their loved ones who can't be with them physically due to social distancing.

In El Paso, Texas, a woman created a Facebook group to adopt senior high school students who had their senior year shattered by the pandemic. A nurse in West Palm Beach, Florida, received lettersfrom the loved ones of her COVID-19 patients that 'fuel her fire' to make a difference.

Lynchburg couple elopes to Blue Ridge Parkway to marry during pandemic

CVS Health surprising customers with free Easter cards in prescriptions

Mental health services in high demand during coronavirus pandemic

Americans show kindness during the dark days of COVD-19

Just found out there are three cases of Covid in my grandfather's nursing home in Colorado. They started taking great precautions weeks and weeks ago so I feel like they are doing a good job. But dang this is worrisome.

It sure is. Sorry to hear that.

After what happened in Washington state, I just dont trust that the facilities can manage to keep it from spreading. The nature of the business where nurses and staff have to make their rounds to each room is a recipe for spreading.

I know there is not a lot of options for people and especially if funds are limited or if the elderly person needs specialized care, there just is not a lot of options.

Bringing a person home is not necessarily a good option either if there are others in the home that may be affected if the elderly person may already have the virus germs.

Its a sad situation with not a lot of options for people with relatives in nursing homes.

Only if someone was super rich, they may be able to remove the person to a single home health place where they could be isolated from other elderly and still get personalized care to come by to tend to them. Some elderly need 24 hour care. Its a really tough situation. :(

It sure is. Sorry to hear that.

After what happened in Washington state, I just dont trust that the facilities can manage to keep it from spreading. The nature of the business where nurses and staff have to make their rounds to each room is a recipe for spreading.

I know there is not a lot of options for people and especially if funds are limited or if the elderly person needs specialized care, there just is not a lot of options.

Bringing a person home is not necessarily a good option either if there are others in the home that may be affected if the elderly person may already have the virus germs.

Its a sad situation with not a lot of options for people with relatives in nursing homes.

Only if someone was super rich, they may be able to remove the person to a single home health place where they could be isolated from other elderly and still get personalized care to come by to tend to them. Some elderly need 24 hour care. Its a really tough situation. :(
It's very tough. My Grandpa is 97 and blind and in a wheelchair, but still sharp as a tack. I love him very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain