Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully, BBM ^^^

I live in a major metro area in the NE, and IMO sex offenders are a little bit different (No, very different) from other offenders.

Some years ago, I found myself having to move to an area that had just begun undergoing gentrification. Though the gentrifiers did Not use the neighborhood - they shopped outside the neighborhood, frequented establishments outside the immediate neighborhood, etc.,

I did not. I lived in and used my neighborhood.

I felt safe as the locals soon acknowledged me, and I can definitely say, they looked out for me and my children as well!

But among the locals was an older male in his sixties who would stop by as I sat on the stoop drinking my early morning coffee before I woke my children for school. Eventually, I'd "bump" into him at the laundromat, on my way to the subway, and many other places in the neighborhood.

I don't want to give the impression that his age disarmed me - it did not, but I cut him some slack that I would not have some younger males. Soon enough, he began attempting to greet me with physical embraces and hugs! Very polite, verbal, respectful, etc.

Thinking I was crazy, one evening for the first time ever I went on my local neighborhood sex offenders site, to see whether I was indeed nuts. He only had told me his first name, and there he was - I went through my zip code photo by photo, and there he was plain as day - double rape w/ a weapon! He had served over 20+ years in prison.

It didn't matter to him when I told him one day when I saw him approaching me with outstretched arms - Don't come near me - I have the flu (He said, he had it, too), he still reached to embrace me upon greeting.

Sex offenders are often (Not always) of a different breed, but that's just moo and anecdotal experience with them.

Scary stuff @epiphany. You were so smart to trust your instincts and do research. I always recommend “The Gift of Fear” by Gavin deBecker. He strongly encourages listening to your gut/intuition when it warns you.

You are right about sex offenders. Just because someone is a senior citizen doesn’t mean they cannot be an offender...toward children or adults.
JMO

DOJ: 'Expect action' on government regulation of religious services amid COVID-19 outbreak

Freedom of religion is the first of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,” its text begins.

Attorneys with the Alliance Defending Freedom have filed a lawsuit challenging that order on behalf of the Temple Baptist Church in Greenville.

Kelly Shackelford, president of the First Liberty Institute, argued in an appearance on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” on Friday that the city’s order “is just massively unconstitutional.”

“It targets churches in a way that it targets no other group,” he said. “Cars in parking lots are fine. It’s only a crime if the cars in the parking lot are at the church parking lot.”

Anybody here from Texas? The case counts there seem to be increasing (www.worldometers.info) but I hear the governor wants stores to be open. I'd be curious to hear local opinions.
Yes, I know, it's a big state.
Houston area. Open/Closed won’t affect how I’m responding to it. I won’t go shopping, I’ll do curb side pick up for groceries, work and then home. If others want to go out and socialize we can’t really stop them ( they gather at people’s houses, grocery stores are still family outings). The few places I’ve gone I’m in the minority wearing a mask, as in the only one.

DOJ: 'Expect action' on government regulation of religious services amid COVID-19 outbreak

Freedom of religion is the first of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,” its text begins.

Attorneys with the Alliance Defending Freedom have filed a lawsuit challenging that order on behalf of the Temple Baptist Church in Greenville.

Kelly Shackelford, president of the First Liberty Institute, argued in an appearance on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” on Friday that the city’s order “is just massively unconstitutional.”

“It targets churches in a way that it targets no other group,” he said. “Cars in parking lots are fine. It’s only a crime if the cars in the parking lot are at the church parking lot.”

Was gonna say, the resulting constitutional challenges will be epic.

If you like history and also reading about viruses, epidemics, etc...our local newspaper put out a fascinating series in 14 chapters about the yellow fever epidemic...entitled The Fever, you can read it for free here. I felt it was one of the most interesting and well done series I've ever read...The Fever | Portsmouth, VA

Interesting. So states get funds based on how many corona virus cases they report. What could possibly go wrong lol
-----------

States such as Minnesota, Nebraska and Montana, which the pandemic has touched relatively lightly, are getting more than $300,000 per reported COVID-19 case in the $30 billion, according to a Kaiser Health News analysis.

On the other hand, New York, the worst-hit state, would receive only $12,000 per case. Florida is getting $132,000 per case. KHN relied on an analysis by staff on the House Ways and Means Committee along with COVID-19 cases tabulated by The New York Times.

Furor Erupts: Billions Going To Hospitals Based On Medicare Billings, Not COVID-19

Interesting. So states get funds based on how many corona virus cases they report. What could possibly go wrong lol
-----------

States such as Minnesota, Nebraska and Montana, which the pandemic has touched relatively lightly, are getting more than $300,000 per reported COVID-19 case in the $30 billion, according to a Kaiser Health News analysis.

On the other hand, New York, the worst-hit state, would receive only $12,000 per case. Florida is getting $132,000 per case. KHN relied on an analysis by staff on the House Ways and Means Committee along with COVID-19 cases tabulated by The New York Times.

Furor Erupts: Billions Going To Hospitals Based On Medicare Billings, Not COVID-19

That's some funny math!

Scary stuff @epiphany. You were so smart to trust your instincts and do research. I always recommend “The Gift of Fear” by Gavin deBecker. He strongly encourages listening to your gut/intuition when it warns you.

You are right about sex offenders. Just because someone is a senior citizen doesn’t mean they cannot be an offender...toward children or adults.
JMO
I am reading it right now(!) and I had the very same thought when I read @epiphany's post. A woman's intuition is usually spot on. :)

Idiots in Kentucky are also trying to sue Beshear. But most of these orders are about mass gatherings, period. It just so happens that a few churches are the ones defying the order, and so are getting the press. (Drive-in services are allowed in KY.)

Oh, well, they can waste their money. I have no patience with people who are trying to circumvent the stay at home orders.

Wow. Here in So. California, you would be shunned and get a verbal take down for no mask or gloves.
like "seriously" ! !!

Houston area. Open/Closed won’t affect how I’m responding to it. I won’t go shopping, I’ll do curb side pick up for groceries, work and then home. If others want to go out and socialize we can’t really stop them ( they gather at people’s houses, grocery stores are still family outings). The few places I’ve gone I’m in the minority wearing a mask, as in the only one.

Last edited:
No thank you. This entire pandemic has made me think about what is "essential" and what is "not essential". And how much time and money I spent on "non essential" items.

Plus, here in Montana, Bozeman did not shut down salons. And they are currently the leader in COVID19 cases in Montana.

The salons in Bozeman, Montana are closed now.

Yeah, was going to say I don't think salons are going to all come back from this. Very sad.

It's the church board that makes the decision whether or not to cancel the physical Sunday services. The pastor, as a paid employee of a registered charity, is an exofficio on the board. He doesn't get a vote.

I really don't care about their by-laws or who employs whom. That has little or nothing to do with who committed a crime.

And, I'm sure the pastor, as an employee, can still be sued in a civil case. A jury will decide whether he wins or loses. He can counter-sue. He can sue them first if he wants.

But I don't see a criminal case against the BoT of the church, which was my point.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-19-global-health-pandemic-46.516942/page-21
These essential workers could get $25,000 in hazard pay under 'Hero Fund' plan
Democrats in Congress want to give essential workers a raise for staying on the job in the face of coronavirus.

Senate Democrats are proposing nurses and doctors, but also grocery clerks and transit workers, get as much as $25,000 in hazard pay from the federal government.

These essential workers could get $25,000 in hazard pay under 'Hero Fund' plan

I don't think the writer's of the constitution of the United States were considering a world wide pandemic.
This is a game changer at the moment.
Life and death situations, that could change (life as we know it) should not depend on a document written by people in 1777. We are in 2020 and facing a humanitarian crisis.
To stop it, we need to stay home. Let's stop this virus, and deal with our freedoms when it has passed. Imo.

Is Beijing covering up a real death toll of tens of thousands?

Incredibly, Beijing claims only 3,336 people have been killed by Covid-19 in China - just over a third of Britain's current total and one 30th of the global toll.

Chinese officials now report almost zero new infections. Even more astonishingly, China says only 119 people have died in its 25 provinces outside Hubei - many of them the size of European countries - while simultaneously killing more than 102,000 people outside China.

Is China covering up a death toll of tens of thousands? Video shows police beating fleeing residents | Daily Mail Online
Things were handled very differently in China. Cities were locked down fast, roads were piled with dirt to prevent people from leaving or entering, people were locked in their homes, people who tested positive were rounded up and put in facilities for infected people. Did that make a difference in reducing the spread?

Edit - just listening to the news, hearing that the US is speculating that since they knew something was happening in China in November, the numbers we received starting in Jan/Feb may be only a fraction of the true number of cases and deaths in China.

I personally have no doubt that China is concealing the true facts and figures. They made Dr. Li Wenliang apologize for and retract his message about a new SARS-like virus that was circulating around a wet market in Wuhan. Had the government done the opposite, not only might Dr. Li have lived, but the pandemic would have instead been a localized problem. It probably could have been kept under control through contact tracing and a perimeter quarantine, with treatment for those first few victims.

It reminds me of the old Soviet regime. Anything that was bad for public relations was lied about and/or swept under the rug. North Korea and Cuba, as well. In a Communist or dictatorship regime, the image is far more important than the truth. Citizens who don't play along don't fare very well (to understate it).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members