NH NH - Laureen Rahn, 14, Manchester, 27 April 1980

Interesting that one of Rasmussen's aliases included the name Kimball, if I recall correctly. The street they are searching.
:eek:
I can’t believe I missed that! I’ve been keeping my eyes open specifically for connections to his aliases (and other made up details). I am of the belief that they all have some significance. Not in that they were well thought out by any stretch of the imagine but that he came up with the majority of them using names/places he was familiar with.

o_Overy interesting indeed! (IMO) nice catch!

*ETA - Considering this article was from 2018, maybe authorities are thinking along the same lines. It doesn’t say they were acting in response to a new lead or whatnot...

A couple of thoughts

Who unscrewed the lightbulbs in the hallway of the apartment buidling. Was it a prank,perhaps by Rahn and her friends and was it predator in relation to her going missing?

What did the friend(s) knew. A lot suggest they knew more perhaps without knowing it themselves. The male friend took his ownlife 5 years after this. For what reason? depression? guilt? It seems like the only possible clues could come from these people and they were dismissed early in the investigation.

There's also some rumours about a second boy being present. But to this day it's unknown wether it happened or not.

Alot suggest that Rahn left on her own according, possibly to meet someone or to buy something. Could it be related to one of these boys?I think that's possible.

Serial killer Rasmussed lived 2 blocks away. If she left to buy something it could have been a crime of opportunity. Maybe she even knew about him, it's not a very big town. It's possible that she encountered Rasmussen and was met with foul play.

All those calls to her mother and aunt connected to a *advertiser censored* ring and a doctor Z are odd. Perhaps it had nothing to do with anything and they were just prank calls. It's possible. If it was Laureen calling why didn't she say anything? I wouldn't rule out that she was lured to CA with bad intentions, afterall she wanted to be an actress and she was just 14 but it's quite unlikely based on the circumstances that night. If this happened it was somebody that either seized to opportunity when she went out or somone she knew that took her. It's possible but a bit unlikely.

Sadly I think, that there are 2 more likely options. Either one oft hese boys were involved somehow or she encountered the wrong person when she stepped out. I think she died the same night. I think LE should re-question people again, Somebody knews more then they are telling.

@Moonwalker9 I have the same questions... which are too many IMO. Somebody knows something they aren't telling or there was an opportunity (by law enforcement) missed along the way.

The only thing I question about Rasmussen is, has he been tied to a crime of opportunity? It would be so convenient in Laureen's case but it seems to me that he's in it for the long haul. I have no doubt that he has many other victims than we've been made aware of...

It's frightening to think of him spontaneously murdering people in every place that he lived... although I do not put it past him!

I think it's a very good podcast. It's kind and compassionate, making things sound more logic. I'm so happy to know now that her mother Judith did a lot of things to find her and still does. After hearing the whole podcast...the sentence "She was the light of her live" rings in my ear and comforts me some how. This story has a lot of twists and turns, especially the "aftermath" what for her mother is a never ending,unfinished, hell.

@Moonwalker9 I have the same questions... which are too many IMO. Somebody knows something they aren't telling or there was an opportunity (by law enforcement) missed along the way.

The only thing I question about Rasmussen is, has he been tied to a crime of opportunity? It would be so convenient in Laureen's case but it seems to me that he's in it for the long haul. I have no doubt that he has many other victims than we've been made aware of...

It's frightening to think of him spontaneously murdering people in every place that he lived... although I do not put it past him!

A random victim or opportunity doesn't seem to fit Rasmussen's pattern of targeting women and children he knew, however, I have often wondered if maybe Laureen or the other missing/murdered Manchester young women (i.e: Denise Daneault & Elizabeth Lamotte) knew Rasmussen or knew his victims. Perhaps they had been babysitters for Rasmussen's child victims OR perhaps they had met Marlyse Honeychurch in the neighborhood? Rasmussen's pattern was to sponge off of single mothers who had jobs or some means of income. The children would have needed childcare while the mothers worked. Yet we don't know of anyone who recalled taking care of Marlyse's children or recalled meeting or employing Marlyse in NH. If the babysitters or someone who worked with Marlyse were able to identify the Bearbrook victims OR if they noticed they were suddenly gone and asked Rasmussen questions, then Rasmussen would have a motive to get rid of that person. Marlyse also knew Rasmussen's real name but he went by "Bob Evans" while living in Manchester. We don't know exactly when or why he adopted the name Bob Evans in relation to the Bearbrook murders-- was it after he had murdered Marlyse, her children and his bio daughter? Did Laureen possibly meet him as Terry Rasmussen and babysit for his bio daughter or for Marlyse's girls once or twice? That could be a reason for Rasmussen to get rid of her before he set up shop as Bob Evans. He used the Bob Evan alias to work at the mill and to date Denise Beaudin who would disappear along with her daughter in 1981. It seems too big of a coincidence to me that Laureen and Denise Daneault both lived in the same neighborhood as Rasmussen in 1980 and disappeared while he was living there.

MOO.

Occam’s Razor. Half the ‘evidence’ in this case is hearsay. Local newspaper details have never been confirmed by the Manchester police. The lightbulbs in the hallway were out, but Mom managed to get up a few flights of stairs with no problem. They lived in a three decker dump in downtown Manchester, common sense tells you the kid was killed the night she left by one of the older boys they hung out with,but the police can’t pin it on anyone because back then all teenagers ‘ran away’.

Occam’s Razor. Half the ‘evidence’ in this case is hearsay. Local newspaper details have never been confirmed by the Manchester police. The lightbulbs in the hallway were out, but Mom managed to get up a few flights of stairs with no problem. They lived in a three decker dump in downtown Manchester, common sense tells you the kid was killed the night she left by one of the older boys they hung out with,but the police can’t pin it on anyone because back then all teenagers ‘ran away’.
Yes. Did the two guys get questioned? Lie detectors? One of them committed suicide later, is that correct? I also find it very strange that mom changed her number although she believes Lauren is alive and was receiving “silent” phone calls around holidays. Then moves to Florida. Rasmussen is still a possibility but I think the answer is with the older boys she left with. MOO

A random victim or opportunity doesn't seem to fit Rasmussen's pattern of targeting women and children he knew, however, I have often wondered if maybe Laureen or the other missing/murdered Manchester young women (i.e: Denise Daneault & Elizabeth Lamotte) knew Rasmussen or knew his victims. Perhaps they had been babysitters for Rasmussen's child victims OR perhaps they had met Marlyse Honeychurch in the neighborhood? Rasmussen's pattern was to sponge off of single mothers who had jobs or some means of income. The children would have needed childcare while the mothers worked. Yet we don't know of anyone who recalled taking care of Marlyse's children or recalled meeting or employing Marlyse in NH. If the babysitters or someone who worked with Marlyse were able to identify the Bearbrook victims OR if they noticed they were suddenly gone and asked Rasmussen questions, then Rasmussen would have a motive to get rid of that person. Marlyse also knew Rasmussen's real name but he went by "Bob Evans" while living in Manchester. We don't know exactly when or why he adopted the name Bob Evans in relation to the Bearbrook murders-- was it after he had murdered Marlyse, her children and his bio daughter? Did Laureen possibly meet him as Terry Rasmussen and babysit for his bio daughter or for Marlyse's girls once or twice? That could be a reason for Rasmussen to get rid of her before he set up shop as Bob Evans. He used the Bob Evan alias to work at the mill and to date Denise Beaudin who would disappear along with her daughter in 1981. It seems too big of a coincidence to me that Laureen and Denise Daneault both lived in the same neighborhood as Rasmussen in 1980 and disappeared while he was living there.

MOO.

These possibilities have been rolling around in my mind as well .... is it possible they knew them ... Denise D boys were close in age to Marlyse's children and Laureen a possible babysitter I could see that as possible.... could one of the children let out their real names many reasons to give TPR a motive.

That’s a good point @Gardener1850. I hadn’t thought about childcare. I can’t imagine he or they never once had assistance from someone when it came to the children. And it doesn’t seem like a family member would have been an option if it were up to him. So it is possible they were familiar with him in that way.

It’s actually chilling to think about all the people he likely killed along the way. The thought of him being in so many places, in the United States alone, and the vile and barbaric acts we know he’s capable of... I literally shudder to think.

This poor innocent young soul. :( The truth will come out one day.

Something that's been bugging me about Laureen Rahn's case in relation to Terry Rasmussen: Investigators in NH and CA are confident that Terry had no help with his murders. Why are NH investigators then presuming Laureen Rahn may be a victim of his? During this time, Terry was working at Waumbec Mill, correct? Wouldn't moving a kidnapped girl to California from New Hampshire while having a day job be a bit of a stretch for one person?

Something that's been bugging me about Laureen Rahn's case in relation to Terry Rasmussen: Investigators in NH and CA are confident that Terry had no help with his murders. Why are NH investigators then presuming Laureen Rahn may be a victim of his? During this time, Terry was working at Waumbec Mill, correct? Wouldn't moving a kidnapped girl to California from New Hampshire while having a day job be a bit of a stretch for one person?

I don’t know anything about Terry Rasmussen so I can’t speak to that aspect, but there’s no solid evidence that Laureen was ever in CA. I know about the calls, the doctor, and Annie Sprinkle, but I don’t think Laureen was ever in CA. Do you know more about the possibility of her being in CA?

...there’s no solid evidence that Laureen was ever in CA. I know about the calls, the doctor, and Annie Sprinkle, but I don’t think Laureen was ever in CA. Do you know more about the possibility of her being in CA?

I don’t. I’ve only just started re-rereading about her. What makes you think she wasnt in California?

I do know that her and Denise Denault may be linked to Terry given they disappeared 6 weeks apart, disappeared near each other, and were in close proximity to the 925 Hayward St address where he lived until at least Thanksgiving of 1981. When he moved to that address is not known. Where he lived prior to that in New Hampshire is also unknown.

I’ve found some things in researching him that make me ask about Laureen. There are a lot of odd unanswered questions, but the one i’m interested in is why NH police believe he may be involved with her disappearance and are investigating that possible connection. If Laureen is presumed to have ended up in metro Los Angeles, California, this doesnt make sense to me. Terry Rasmussen knew that area very well and returned there several times in his life. But all investigators statements i’ve found in CA and NH seem confident he had no help committing his crimes. He operated alone. They are also confident he worked at Waumbec Mill. It’s not known exactly when it closed but he was working there in 1980. I dont see how they are stating he had no help if they suspect him of being involved in this.

I don’t. I’ve only just started re-rereading about her. What makes you think she wasnt in California?

I do know that her and Denise Denault may be linked to Terry given they disappeared 6 weeks apart, disappeared near each other, and were in close proximity to the 925 Hayward St address where he lived until at least Thanksgiving of 1981. When he moved to that address is not known. Where he lived prior to that in New Hampshire is also unknown.

I’ve found some things in researching him that make me ask about Laureen. There are a lot of odd unanswered questions, but the one i’m interested in is why NH police believe he may be involved with her disappearance and are investigating that possible connection. If Laureen is presumed to have ended up in metro Los Angeles, California, this doesnt make sense to me. Terry Rasmussen knew that area very well and returned there several times in his life. But all investigators statements i’ve found in CA and NH seem confident he had no help committing his crimes. He operated alone. They are also confident he worked at Waumbec Mill. It’s not known exactly when it closed but he was working there in 1980. I dont see how they are stating he had no help if they suspect him of being involved in this.

I think the authorities wonder if Terry could be involved because he was a serial killer living in close proximity to Laureen. If authorities think it’s possible that Laureen did end up in CA, Terry had nothing to do with that; two separate issues. That’s what I gather from the articles I have read.

I don’t think Laureen ended up in CA because it just doesn’t make much sense to me. The phone calls? Coincidence, hoaxes, or just ways to try to keep her daughter’s case in the spotlight by the mom. Probably not the last one, but who knows? I wouldn’t change my number if I thought my daughter might be the one calling. Could also be that the number change happened because mom moved to FL and had nothing to do with the calls. Sensationalized reporting perhaps?

I just feel like I have followed so many cases over the years and the reality of someone choosing to leave at such a young age or being trafficked is so low. I don’t have statistics, but to use the phrase “statistically speaking”, it’s more likely Laureen died the same night she disappeared by someone she knew and her body is close to home. Next most likely is being killed by an unknown person, probably for sexual reasons.

All just my opinion and I appreciate and ponder all viewpoints.

I know speculation isn't very helpful and often clutters these forums, but given this is a pretty inactive post...

If Laureen ended up in Los Angeles, California shortly after living nearby Terry Rasmussen, it'd be a hell of a coincidence imo; he'd just come from that part of California in La Puente after 1978 and some time later arrived in New Hampshire.

I do know that trafficking cases seem very difficult to prove and there is precious little solid data I've been able to find, but it does seem to happen more than people tend to think-- just as "runaways" happened a lot less frequently than people used to think. Anything happening across state borders would either be a coordinated mess between local jurisdictions and state police or given to federal investigators and would routinely not be discussed publicly.

I'm still familiarizing myself with this so I don't have a strong opinion one way or another. There seems to be nothing to rule out with so little info to go on. I don't think spoofing phone calls from California motels linked to child *advertiser censored* would be plausible for a waitress in New Hampshire. Is that a coincidence? This seems like something that could be verified or debunked with a few FOIA requests and some patience.

Waumbec in a newspaper article from August 1980 said that they should be out of the mill building in 2 months so 10/1980.

Attachments

• colsedCROP-aug05-3-1980.png
    colsedCROP-aug05-3-1980.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 21
I know speculation isn't very helpful and often clutters these forums, but given this is a pretty inactive post...

If Laureen ended up in Los Angeles, California shortly after living nearby Terry Rasmussen, it'd be a hell of a coincidence imo; he'd just come from that part of California in La Puente after 1978 and some time later arrived in New Hampshire.

I do know that trafficking cases seem very difficult to prove and there is precious little solid data I've been able to find, but it does seem to happen more than people tend to think-- just as "runaways" happened a lot less frequently than people used to think. Anything happening across state borders would either be a coordinated mess between local jurisdictions and state police or given to federal investigators and would routinely not be discussed publicly.

I'm still familiarizing myself with this so I don't have a strong opinion one way or another. There seems to be nothing to rule out with so little info to go on. I don't think spoofing phone calls from California motels linked to child *advertiser censored* would be plausible for a waitress in New Hampshire. Is that a coincidence? This seems like something that could be verified or debunked with a few FOIA requests and some patience.

Just, possibly rather than spoofing maybe stolen identity, maybe someone that stole that information or knew that information was a friend of the family, Lauren's or Judith's possibly.

This is interesting b/c it was stated that all of the lightbulbs in the three floor apartment building had been unscrewed that night. Also, it’s said that the reason the guy dipped out the back door was b/c they thought they heard voices in the hallway.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back