Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little brain fart fyi- I had to take Dad out for his errands today. The only place I had to actually go inside was w-mart. I put on a fresh paper mask. I remembered, that when I worked healthcare at the nursing homes, as a CMA, we dated the newly applied bandages and pain patches. With our initials of course.
Anyway, I decided to date my paper mask, when I wear it. I leave them inside the car with the gloves and wipes, but those aren't dated.
Anyway.... to those who might want to do the same. At least I know the latest date it was worn, and if enough time allowed between wearings for the virus to die.
I thought some posters have said it can stay on masks for 7 days. Do we know for sure how long to leave it to be safe?

Thank you for the link.

Could it perhaps be because obesity leads to other serious medical conditions like heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes, etc? Or makes those conditions worse?

I'm in the elderly group along with my hubby, but neither of us are overweight.

In fact in my recent hospital stay I lost over 12 pounds in less than 4 days.

I'm trying to gain a little weight or at least back up to 117 pounds which has been around my average weight for decades now. Between 117 to 122.

Due to my back condition leaving me unsteady at times I fear losing my balance making me fall. I know it could easily shatter my hip especially at the weight I'm at now.

Its strange though for most in our area that has been hit hard by the virus more who have died have been much younger from 32 to 59. Many could have been obese though. As of yesterday we were up to 72 deaths at our local hospital. I'm sure we have lost more patients today. :(

Imoo
I lost 100 pounds a few years ago. Carrying that extra weight drug me down big time. Just getting in and out of bed was major exercise. The biggest problem was being short of breath.

I thought some posters have said it can stay on masks for 7 days. Do we know for sure how long to leave it to be safe?

Several ...a few...posters had mentioned leaving the mask in a car setting in the sun. Reducing the time maybe, needed to kill the virus.
Also, I will just get a new fresh mask if the previous one needs to sit longer. I have plenty of ziplock baggies too. Too many.

They're saying that 140F is enough to kill it (for an hour). The Stanford study said an N95 could be sanitized in a kitchen oven at 158F for 30 minutes, and in fact, that was the only method their 13 method study recommended (they replicated an older study which found the same thing). No detriment to the mask.

So personally, I think a hot and dry 140F stay for an hour in the car is fine. An entire day would be better. I don't use my mask every day at this point. I really really want to go for a walk today, but we're at peak of transmission where I live, and while we have few cases in my city, I will wear a mask if I do go out.

I put mine in a loose bag, not a ziplock, because I don't want the humidity from the mask staying inside the bag - that keeps the virus alive longer.

I feel bad for the people who have to make the un-lockdown decisions. And then maybe have to lockdown again in a few months...

I worry that the articles about the economy overshadow the horrors of what's happening even *with* lockdowns and make people lose sight of what it would have been like without the social distancing, lockdowns, calls for extra hospital staff, building temporary hospitals, temporary morgues, etc.

I don't know what the source of it was, but I did see a graphic that said that deaths due to Covid-19 had become the leading cause of death in the USA.

We need people to have their jobs and money to pay for their needs, we need manufacturing and services running. But I really hope that it can be done in such a way that the reopening is gentle and done at the same time as increasing testing, rolling out the quicker tests, and going back to contact tracing, which can work in small, localized outbreaks. It still wouldn't be easy, as those who'd been close to a confirmed case would have to be isolated for 14 days or so, and with some reopening of businesses and transport, that could be a lot of people who work at the same business or traveled on the same bus who have to go into isolation all at the same time, so there'd still be disruption but not on the same scale.

I think we'll have to keep some social distancing in place in many areas for quite some time, even after starting to reopen businesses. Then the rolling out of the contact apps can help with the contact tracing as well.

And, eventually there will be working antibody tests as well, so that could be run at the same time as a rapid test, and anyone with antibodies wouldn't have to stay quarantined waiting to see if they come down with it. I don't know if it's a stupid thing to say, but smaybe medical staff with immunity can then work in the 'hot zones' in hospitals without as much PPE and without worrying about transference? Because if cases are ongoing and more waves could be coming, we still need high levels of everything we've needed for 'this' wave that's been in short supply. We can't just go back to the old normal where there wasn't a pandemic.

I have hope that while we might have to continue with a lot of the social distancing measures that we can try to get the case levels down really, really low, gradually reopen, and avoid more waves, even if that means that some more localised areas may have to go into lockdown again if they have local outbreaks. How you keep outbreaks localised with modern/normal travel and movement happening, I don't know. You can keep in place country-to-country bans, but intra-country travel is awkward to shut down in the way China shut it down around Wuhan and Hubei, and yet that seems to be the kind of action necessary to limit local outbreaks and prevent future 'waves' of this virus?

"Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing | The White House" Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing | The White House

Here is a link to the transcript of yesterday's WH briefing.

This bit is interesting.

"The United States has now conducted nearly 3 million tests for the virus. Three million — the most of any nation. We are performing approximately 150,000 tests every single day and our rate of testing is especially high in areas hardest hit by the virus, if you look. And that’s really — and it has hit some areas — the virus — very, very hard. For example, per capita testing in New York is higher than the rest of the world.

The NIH, CDC, and FDA are also currently validating several antibody tests that will allow us to determine whether someone has already had the virus and potentially become immune to infection. We’re looking at that. The antibody tests are going to be very interesting, over the next short while. A lot of things are being developed, as we speak.

In the race to develop effective treatments, the drug company Gilead announced that its drug, remdesivir, has shown promising results — very promising — in compassionate use settings. In addition, the FDA has just granted emergency use authorization for a device that removes certain proteins from the bloodstream, possibly preventing a patient’s immune system from overreacting to the virus and damaging vital organs, which is a big problem.

Furthermore, over the last seven days, my administration has deployed roughly 28 million doses of hydroxychloroquine from our National Stockpile. We have millions of doses that we bought and many people are using it all over the country. And just recently, a friend of mine told me he got better because of the use of that — that drug. So, who knows? And you combine it with Z-Pak, you combine it with Zinc — depending on your doctor’s recommendation. And it’s having some very good results, I’ll tell you.

I think if anybody recommended it other than me, it would be used all over the place, to be honest with you. I think the fact that I recommended it, I probably set it back a lot. But it’s a lot of good things that are happening with it. A lot of good tests.

Scientists are also pursuing a blood therapy known as convalescent plasma. Convalescent plasma. This therapy uses antibodies from the blood of recovered patients to treat those who are sick. And this is something that actually is a very old procedure, but it’s done in a very modern way."

There is also info in there about the stimulus payments. I have C/P it below as posters have been asking.

"SECRETARY MNUCHIN: Thank you, Mr. President and Mr. Vice President. As you announced, we are very pleased that we are ahead of schedule on delivering the economic impact payments. These are what was known as the checks in the mail that we want to deliver in direct — direct deposit.

This is ahead of schedule. We started processing those last Friday. We expect that over 80 million hardworking Americans will get the direct deposit by this Wednesday. And we know how important that is to all of those hardworking Americans, many of which are at home, not working at the moment.

If you do not receive them by Wednesday — on Wednesday, we will be launching at IRS.gov. Click on IRS.gov, go to “Get Your Payment.” If you filed a tax return in 2018 and ’19 — or ’19 — have that information available. You’ll be able to ID yourself, you’ll be able to put in your direct deposit information, and within several days, we will automatically deposit the money into your account. We want to do as much of this electronically as we can. It’s very important in this day and age. It’s more secure, and you don’t have to go to the bank.

If you’re a Social Security beneficiary, you do not need to do anything. You will get a direct deposit. If you have not filed and did not need to file a 2018 and ‘19 return, you can go to IRS.gov now and enter your information and authenticate yourself. So again, we are very pleased that that is ahead of schedule.

I’d also like to announce the progress we’re making on the new SBA program, the PPP. Let me just remind everybody: This is a brand-new program that is now one week old.

We have distributed and confirmed $230 billion of loans to over 4,600 lenders participating. That is multiples and multiples of anything that the SBA has ever done in — in one year, before. And I especially want to thank the broad-based community banks that are participating. Again, over 4,600 banks.

If you haven’t had your loan processed, you will get it processed this week. As the President said, we’ve gone back to Congress and asked them for more money to make sure that every business has access to this.

Let me also comment for the states. We are distributing out half the money, this week, to the states. That’s a week ahead of time. And we’ll deliver the other half of the money to the states next week.

And then let me just finally comment, we’ve been very — working very closely with the Federal Reserve. Last week, we announced expanded facilities and new facilities that total $2.3 trillion of liquidity. And in particular, I’d just like to highlight a Main Street lending facility that will be for companies between one worker and 10,000 people — so mid-sized businesses — and also, a municipal facility for states and local governments to be able to access funds given the shortages that they have.

So with that, I’m happy to answer any questions."

Last edited:
I decided to date them ..the masks.. because Dad thought he would chew me out for tossing the last one in the trash last week. I had already worn it 4x, then the last trip out, he insisted on getting his taxes done. At a private residence. No 6' distance observed by the people who lived there either.
4 people had walked through the room while we were there. SO....imo ...I determined the masks were contaminated.
Dad is 95 and decided the virus will do as he says.

With the coronavirus keeping millions of New Jerseyans off the roads and inside their homes, environmentalists and scientists are observing a unique phenomenon — what happens when millions of cars and industries are idle.

In the Northeast significant drops in air pollution have already been detected, officials said. There's even a notion, held by some looking past COVID-19's devastation, the U.S. could be spurred to make some lasting, pro-environmental fixes.

NASA scientists reported last week that levels of nitrogen dioxide, a chemical produced through burning fossil fuels, were about 30% lower over the Interstate 95 corridor between Washington, D.C., and Boston compared with March a year ago.

Air particulate matter "is a least a third to 50% better" over New Jersey, said Mazurek, who directs the Environment and Energy Program at Rutgers' Center for Advanced Infrastructure and Transportation.

"It’s going to be a big asterisk in the record of fine particulate pollution," she said.

Across the world, scientists say air pollution around major cities is at its lowest level in years. For example, people living in northern Punjab, India, can see the Himalayan mountains for the first time in years, according to CNN.

China, too, has seen decreases in air pollution around its major cities.

Coronavirus NJ: Staying home shrinks carbon footprint; how much will stay shrunk?

Maybe this has been discussed, but here is some interesting data. Sweden is letting it rip.

No significant measures against COVID-19 in an effort to minimize economic damage and induce herd immunity in the population. Here is Sweden's curve for hospital resources from IHME, indicative of the onset and end of their national exposure.

upload_2020-4-14_15-48-20.png

IHME predicts 18,000 deaths in Sweden from COVID-19. This is one out of every 555 people.

For contrast, the U.S. with preventative measures is predicted to lose 68,000 people or one out of every 4700 people. Scaling Sweden's numbers for population suggests that if the U.S. were to have avoided preventative measures, the U.S. would have had around 600,000 deaths in a short period of time, and probably considerably more since the health care system would have been overrun.

Sweden's peak is due in 3.5 weeks. It is worth watching closely, but could get very ugly.

Maybe this has been discussed, but here is some interesting data. Sweden is letting it rip.

No significant measures against COVID-19 in an effort to minimize economic damage and induce herd immunity in the population. Here is Sweden's curve for hospital resources from IHME, indicative of the onset and end of their national exposure.

View attachment 243048

IHME predicts 18,000 deaths in Sweden from COVID-19. This is one out of every 555 people.

For contrast, the U.S. with preventative measures is predicted to lose 68,000 people or one out of every 4700 people. Scaling Sweden's numbers for population suggests that if the U.S. were to have avoided preventative measures, the U.S. would have had around 600,000 deaths in a short period of time, and probably considerably more since the health care system would have been overrun.

Sweden's peak is due in 3.5 weeks. It is worth watching closely, but could get very ugly.

I can't believe they are doing this. It just seems evil to me because I can't think of any reason for this behavior except they are trying to "cull the herd".

Oh I bet Rocky Mountain National Park is the same way! I had big plans to go there this summer...the best laid plans eh?

ETA: Wait, I commented about this with the bears actually earlier. Remember when the rats reclaimed Bourbon street, and something else happened so I said, “what’s next, bears coming out?” I’m glad they’re reclaiming their habitat! They must be really enjoying the masses of visitors not being there. :) (ETA less food scraps though)

@JerseyGirl - you posted some other animals coming out, oh yeah ducks in Venice and coyotes in San Fran lol.

Thanks for posting this, looking forward to reading.

—-

Lions and Tigers and Bears oh my!!!

Hey levity break, looking for Wizard of Oz post with Lion speech, must watch!

Last edited:
World faces worst recession since Great Depression

The International Monetary Fund on Tuesday warned that the world faces its worst recession since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

In its new World Economic Outlook, the IMF now forecasts the global economy to shrink by 3% this year -- rather than expand by 3.3%, as previously projected in January -- as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. The cumulative loss to global GDP over 2020 and 2021 from the crisis could be around $9 trillion.

"It is very likely that this year the global economy will experience its worst recession since the Great Depression, surpassing that seen during the global financial crisis a decade ago," IMF chief economist Gita Gopinath said at a press conference Tuesday. "The Great Lockdown, as one might call it, is projected to shrink global growth dramatically."

The IMF, an organization of 189 countries, projects global growth in 2021 to partially recover to 5.8%, but Gopinath cautioned that "the level of GDP will remain below the pre-virus trend, with considerable uncertainty about the strength of the rebound."

"Much worse growth outcomes are possible," she said, "and maybe even likely."

Death toll over 12,000 in UK

Positive cases top 15,000 in Africa

France extends nationwide lockdown till May 11

India extends nationwide lockdown through May 3

Austria and Italy reopen some shops while slowly easing lockdowns

Coronavirus economic updates: Worst recession since the Great Depression predicted

That was GREAT news about GM building up the ventilator production. But the overall article is such gloom. You know.... hopefully, by now, we realize we cannot continue to be like "deer in the headlights". As I read this article.... I am so depressed, but it is where we are going...

NOW is the time for us to learn and try to figure out how to live in a recession. How can we "prepare". We need to prepare.

This IMF qoute really struck hard:
There is extreme uncertainty around the global growth forecast but we know the global economy will be in recession in 2020, with markdowns on the projections expected across regions and countries.

U.S. Meat Supply Is 'Perilously Close' To A Shortage, CEO Warns
April 13, 2020

“One of the country's largest pork-producing plants closed indefinitely after nearly 300 of its employees tested positive for COVID-19. And the company's CEO warned that the coronavirus pandemic is pushing the nation's meat supply "perilously close" to the edge.

"It is impossible to keep our grocery stores stocked if our plants are not running," Smithfield Foods CEO Kenneth Sullivan said in a statement.”

[...]

“Sullivan warned that the growing shutdowns are hurting the nation's meat supply in a way that is reaching throughout the U.S. economy.

"These facility closures will also have severe, perhaps disastrous, repercussions for many in the supply chain, first and foremost our nation's livestock farmers. These farmers have nowhere to send their animals," he wrote.

Because meat is perishable it must be kept in cold storage, making it difficult for stores to carry large amounts of inventory, says Krista Foster, who teaches supply chain management at the University of Notre Dame's Mendoza College of Business.

"Once the existing inventory is used up, consumers can expect to see smaller quantities of pork products in stores due to processing plant closures," Foster says.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member