Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon made the announcement in a blog post, adding that they are "increasing capacity each week and will invite new customers to shop every week." The company says it is prioritizing existing customers during the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Amazon says it has expanded Whole Foods Market grocery pickup from about 80 stores to more than 150 and plans to expand the service even more in the coming week. Hours at some Whole Foods locations are being adjusted to allow employees to focus on fulfilling online grocery orders.

Delivery windows have been hard to secure since the COVID-19 pandemic began to spread across the U.S. but Amazon says it is developing a system to make it easier to get groceries. They plan to introduce a new feature that will allow customers to book a time to shop. "This feature will give delivery customers a virtual 'place in line' and will allow us to distribute the delivery windows on a first come, first served basis," Amazon said in a blog post.

In a separate blog post, Amazon announced it has hired the 100,000 workers it promised last month to meet demand and claims it will hire an additional 75,000 people in the coming weeks.
Coronavirus: Amazon stops accepting Amazon Fresh, Whole Foods delivery customers

Bloomberg reported recently that Wing, Alphabet’s drone delivery service, is seeing a big uptick in orders in the Christiansburg, Virginia, pilot program that it’s been running since the fall. Wing works with FedEx and Walgreens to deliver household essentials and has also added a local bakery and coffee shop to expand offerings during the pandemic. The delivery service claims that the volume of deliveries has doubled amid the crisis, and Christiansburg’s Mockingbird Cafe and Bakery reports that it’s sold 50 percent more pastries thanks to the deliveries. The drones can complete deliveries within minutes, though they’re limited in how much they can carry per order.
Can You Get Food and Groceries Delivered by Drone Yet?

I like Aldis. I buy their Winking Owl Pinot Grigio now & then.

Aldi shopper here from waaay back... *Before* they had...
* "regular" lighting (stores used to be rather dimly lit, to save $$$)
* bags -- whether paper, plastic, or for frozen goods ("vintage" Aldi shoppers you'll recognize right away: We're the ones using the boxes. :))
* bar codes on the products ("back in the day" every Aldi cashier had to memorize the prices for *everything*...oh, yeah...)
* restrooms available for shoppers to use (now Aldi restrooms are a mini "showcase" of certain Aldi products...)
* deli foods & weekly "Special Deals"

FWIW, one Aldi cashier at "my" Aldi told me a few weeks ago that, for those wanting to purchase toilet paper, they should arrive *before* their store opens, and will nearly always (a few rare exceptions) find it in stock -- but... has to be "first thing in the morning" when they open. Another one of the cashiers I know told me that most(?) Aldi stores get at least *one* truck every day, thus, Aldi generally is *not* sold out of meat (like some larger square-footage grocery chains are).

Aldi "rocks"! (And nope -- I get noo "commission" for mentioning them, btw. And their prices are *nothing* close to that of Trader Joe's, either -- but this is all JMOO... someone who's been a loyal Aldi shopper for "decades" now [can't believe I can actually say that ;)].)

I made the cream cheese based fettuccine Alfredo tonight and it was pretty good. Since cream cheese has a long shelf life it might be worth checking out as an option for long term meal. I used some of my UHT milk, butter, cream cheese, Parmesan, pepper and nutmeg.

No, You Don't Need To Disinfect Your Groceries. But Here's How To Shop Safely
April 12, 20207:00 AM ET

Many shoppers are now following elaborate routines to disinfect their groceries, thanks to a viral video put out by a Michigan family doctor. But all of the experts we spoke with say that disinfecting and hand-washing every last item in your grocery haul is really not necessary. You might find it comforting to know that none of these experts are doing this themselves.

Rasmussen explains that the probability of getting infected from a contaminated surface is not zero, but it is fairly low. That's because respiratory droplets would have to have landed on the exact spot on, say, a box of cereal that you are touching. And even then, you'd have to get enough residual virus on your hand to start an infection — and you'd have to transfer that virus to your face. Bottom line: If you follow good hand-hygiene practices — washing your hands after unpacking your groceries, before cooking and before eating — then, she says, your risk is probably "very, very low."

As Aronoff notes, "Time is really on your side here." That's because as soon as the virus lands on a surface, it starts to lose infectiousness. "After 24 hours, the vast majority of virus is no longer infectious," he says. And after 72 hours, he notes that research has found the virus is trace or undetectable on most surfaces. So if you know that you're not going to use a can of soup for two or three days, he says, just put it away, wash your hands and go about your day. And one more thing: Make sure to wipe down your countertops after you unpack.

If you're still worried and it's a food that doesn't need to be refrigerated, Graham says just leave it out for 24 hours.

Amazon stops accepting new online grocery customers amid surging demand

Amazon also plans to shorten some Whole Foods stores’ hours for the public so its employees can more quickly fulfill online grocery orders, the company said.

Amazon will begin to put new grocery delivery customers on a wait list and curtail shopping hours at some Whole Foods stores to prioritize orders from existing customers buying food online during the coronavirus outbreak, the company said on Sunday.

Many shoppers recently seeking to purchase groceries from the Seattle-based e-commerce company found they could not place orders due to a lack of available delivery slots. Amazon said it would have to relegate all new online grocery customers to a wait list starting Monday while working on adding capacity each week...

Wiped out of toilet paper? Here’s why

What does toilet paper have to do with a global pandemic?

Nothing.

Yet millions of people have been panicking about their household supply. Stores shelves have been emptied. Amazon is often out of stock. And social media is bursting with jokes and pleas for a roll or two.

The good news: Things are calming down, at least in the U.S., after a buying spree in mid-March. But it’s not yet clear when – if ever – buying habits will get back to normal...

I made the cream cheese based fettuccine Alfredo tonight and it was pretty good. Since cream cheese has a long shelf life it might be worth checking out as an option for long term meal. I used some of my UHT milk, butter, cream cheese, Parmesan, pepper and nutmeg.

That sounds delicious. Would you mind sharing your recipe in the recipe thread? Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine

I hope I can get some Parmesan next time I go shopping. I have to buy the type without any wood pulp in it (due to an allergy) and those brands have not been available the last 2 times I shopped. I'm not sure why, but I wondered if it might be because the main brand I buy is made in Brooklyn, NY: Home - 4C Foods Simply the finest It's currently selling for $43 on Amazon. :eek: Regular store price is around $3. Unbelievable.

My kid found TP, finally. She said a lot of regular things were restocked yesterday. SWFL area.

That's great! I hope I can find some TP when I go out next. We only have 2 rolls left-- one in each bathroom. Fortunately we have plenty of alternative paper products (Paper towel, napkins and Kleenex tissues) and will put it in a lined trash can instead of flushing them. But I really don't want to have to start using those if we don't have to. I've done that before living in a country where we couldn't flush any toilet paper at all and the bathrooms always smelled like a sewer system no matter how often we changed out the trash can liners. o_O

On the main thread there was discussion about plants being closed and how this may affect our future food supply - I managed to get another 5lbs of flour and yeast so I can make bread, rolls, pasta etc. But I have to start my hurricane prep soon. I guess I just combine the two?? we are still being limited to 2 canned goods of each type - two beans, two tomatoes, etc. and no paper products unless you get lucky. I've only gone to the store 4 times (always alone) but I may make another trip tomorrow morning based on this latest news.
JMO

On the main thread there was discussion about plants being closed and how this may affect our future food supply - I managed to get another 5lbs of flour and yeast so I can make bread, rolls, pasta etc. But I have to start my hurricane prep soon. I guess I just combine the two?? we are still being limited to 2 canned goods of each type - two beans, two tomatoes, etc. and no paper products unless you get lucky. I've only gone to the store 4 times (always alone) but I may make another trip tomorrow morning based on this latest news.
JMO
I actually just ordered 2 tarps trying to get my hurricane prep a little at a time. All my kids furniture is stored in the garage now. I figure we need to lift it up on blocks and wrap it. I have food in my little chest freezer which is normally what I use for my hurricane ice storage. I use clean milk jugs to freeze water. If we lose power, I stand them in my fridge and when they thaw, we have water.

I actually just ordered 2 tarps trying to get my hurricane prep a little at a time. All my kids furniture is stored in the garage now. I figure we need to lift it up on blocks and wrap it. I have food in my little chest freezer which is normally what I use for my hurricane ice storage. I use clean milk jugs to freeze water. If we lose power, I stand them in my fridge and when they thaw, we have water.
Last couple years I froze water in the wine bags my Aldi box wine comes in - it is only used for handwashing and ice so I don't care if the bag isn't clean. it worked great but did take some time to fill up since I had to push the dispenser in to allow water to flow into the plastic pouch. I also started filling empty vinegar jugs, soda bottles etc - when we were without power for weeks - we could still wash our hands with soap and water which is especially important now. Tarps are a great idea I will get on that this week. I also need to get the trees trimmed - my neighbor's - their branches are inches from my roof.

That sounds delicious. Would you mind sharing your recipe in the recipe thread? Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine

I hope I can get some Parmesan next time I go shopping. I have to buy the type without any wood pulp in it (due to an allergy) and those brands have not been available the last 2 times I shopped. I'm not sure why, but I wondered if it might be because the main brand I buy is made in Brooklyn, NY: Home - 4C Foods Simply the finest It's currently selling for $43 on Amazon. :eek: Regular store price is around $3. Unbelievable.

Wood pulp in Parmesan?! Had to run to the fridge and check. Sure enough, cellulose powder. Wood pulp. Who knew??

April 12, 20207:00 AM ET

Many shoppers are now following elaborate routines to disinfect their groceries, thanks to a viral video put out by a Michigan family doctor. But all of the experts we spoke with say that disinfecting and hand-washing every last item in your grocery haul is really not necessary. You might find it comforting to know that none of these experts are doing this themselves.

Rasmussen explains that the probability of getting infected from a contaminated surface is not zero, but it is fairly low. That's because respiratory droplets would have to have landed on the exact spot on, say, a box of cereal that you are touching. And even then, you'd have to get enough residual virus on your hand to start an infection — and you'd have to transfer that virus to your face. Bottom line: If you follow good hand-hygiene practices — washing your hands after unpacking your groceries, before cooking and before eating — then, she says, your risk is probably "very, very low."

As Aronoff notes, "Time is really on your side here." That's because as soon as the virus lands on a surface, it starts to lose infectiousness. "After 24 hours, the vast majority of virus is no longer infectious," he says. And after 72 hours, he notes that research has found the virus is trace or undetectable on most surfaces. So if you know that you're not going to use a can of soup for two or three days, he says, just put it away, wash your hands and go about your day. And one more thing: Make sure to wipe down your countertops after you unpack.

If you're still worried and it's a food that doesn't need to be refrigerated, Graham says just leave it out for 24 hours.

Good post. That sounds like common sense to me.

JMO
My daughter has been doing most of our shopping for fresh fruit/veggies and milk, etc.

But yesterday she called and said she was only allowed to buy one or 2 of these items at a time. So she is waiting a day or two and will get ours another time. I really hate for her to make extra trips. :(

Kroger store in my area had flour, yeast, toilet paper, eggs, milk, and other items available to order yesterday. Situation appears to be improving.

DH went to the store today. No one was in line in front of him; he went right in. Lots of produce and meat, butter, eggs and milk.

Toilet paper was gone, two boxes of Kleenex left and no paper towel. No. 2 coffee filters were gone, and no flour, no sugar, or brown sugar.

When I read about meat plants closing due to COVID-19, I worried. But, as I posted above, the store had plenty of meat.

Fingers crossed, and definitely praying this situation improves very soon.

JMVHO.

That's great! I hope I can find some TP when I go out next. We only have 2 rolls left-- one in each bathroom. Fortunately we have plenty of alternative paper products (Paper towel, napkins and Kleenex tissues) and will put it in a lined trash can instead of flushing them. But I really don't want to have to start using those if we don't have to. I've done that before living in a country where we couldn't flush any toilet paper at all and the bathrooms always smelled like a sewer system no matter how often we changed out the trash can liners. o_O

Keep your weekly flyers, they tear up real nice! Any newsprint at all can be used for TP. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member