Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking there's several mutations. A aged care worker had no symptoms whatsoever but managed to pass it on throughout the facility and now there's many aged people have come down with the virus. It's a worry as this facility is close to where my 94 yr old mother is being cared for.

A senior's home in Quebec had 31 deaths in a couple of weeks, there is an ongoing investigation, a morgue intended for 4 bodies had something like 14 stacked. They were overwhelmed, people quit, people died. We've heard stories like this from Spain as well.

3% of blood donors in The Netherlands have antibodies:

3% of Dutch blood donors have Covid-19 antibodies

This is important news. Obviously, only people who think they're healthy (typically) show up to give blood. So it's a test of a different sample than "people with symptoms."

One question is: should people with antibodies be donating plasma and would early plasma treatment be beneficial?

We're throwing so many treatments at patients at once that whether they live or die, we don't know what helped or hurt.

Anyway, NL is very much like some of our less densely populated states in terms of overall rates (despite being pretty crowded). It's an indicator of how many healthy adults may have antibodies.

This started in November. It's now April. After 5 months, China should be close to discovering the origin and figuring out the paperwork.

I am sure they are. Now they'll think about what to do next. They do looong plans and sloooow decisions.

Except when it comes to saying "NO," to something. That can always be rescinded, but is a good first response in a pandemic, I guess. It's not their first rodeo.

This is important news. Obviously, only people who think they're healthy (typically) show up to give blood. So it's a test of a different sample than "people with symptoms."

One question is: should people with antibodies be donating plasma and would early plasma treatment be beneficial?

We're throwing so many treatments at patients at once that whether they live or die, we don't know what helped or hurt.

Anyway, NL is very much like some of our less densely populated states in terms of overall rates (despite being pretty crowded). It's an indicator of how many healthy adults may have antibodies.

3% case fatality rate and 3% antibody rate.

your data already answered your question. Population, mass transit.
I can only speak for Southern California, as I've lived here for over 30 years.
Most people here, do not live in high rises. Most live in their own little tract home.
We use our cars, versus public transportation.
Southern California is as different as night and day to New York.
For the most part, we're secluded from our neighbors.
downtown Los Angeles is a different story.s
If you came to visit me in my part of San Diego, So. California, you'd be amazed, that we have horses, chickens and a 1950's type in downtown.
Huge producing strawberry, flower and tomato fields.
Many people here live on a acreage.
Bottom line, we don't mingle much, although millions live here. Moo

Here's some interesting info that I pulled from Worldmeters and Wikipedia:

California is our most populous state. They have a per capita death rate from Covid-19 of 24 per 1 million people.

Texas is our second most populous state. They have a per capita death rate from Covid-19 of 14 per 1 million people.

Florida is our third most populous state. They have a per capita death rate from Covid-19 of 31 per 1 million people.

New York is our fourth most populous state. They have a per capita death rate from Covid-19 of 821 per 1 million people.

New Jersey is our eleventh most populous state. They have a per capita death rate from Covid-19 of 396 per 1 million people.

These numbers make me wonder what the heck is going on in New York and New Jersey?

Only 3% antibody rate? Isn't that lower than expected ? How can they reopen with such low antibody rates?

Only 3% antibody rate? Isn't that lower than expected ? How can they reopen with such low antibody rates?

3.4% case fatality rate (China) and 3% antibody rate (NL) tell us that of those who are donating blood, 3% were sick. It's not known how long antibodies last, but it looks like antibody plasma transfusion helps the body fight the illness. I wondered whether Boris Johnson had Remsivir (sp?) and plasma treatment in hospital.

3.4% case fatality rate (China) and 3% antibody rate (NL) tell us that of those who are donating blood, 3% were sick. It's not known how long antibodies last, but it looks like antibody plasma transfusion helps the body fight the illness. I wondered whether Boris Johnson had Remsivir (sp?) and plasma treatment in hospital.
I'm guess they treated Boris with a little bit of everything, just to see what works.

I have used much of this time, sorting through boxes of stuff we brought with us when we downsized from our 4 bedroom house we lived in for 17 years.

When we had the empty nest we moved to a small cottage, and it has a very nice tool shed out back. We crammed a lot of boxes out there when we moved in and I haven't really gone through them....:oops:

So I am doing a few a day, realising I won't need any of it anymore. And I don't want to saddle the kids with it all. Anything really wonderful, I send a pic to them and see if they want it. So far, most things are dispensable.

I have a lot of glassware and dish sets and all that stuff...and it is not necessary anymore.

Also, way too many old family photos, etc. I gave all the good ones to the kids already. But I have a million old pics of relatives they never knew and they have no interest in or space to keep them all. I dont even know who half of them are. lol

Zillions of old CDs, and old gadgets and electronics. I did find my son's ancient gameboy and he was thrilled that it still works.
I’m fortunate enough to be working from home, but workload is down so I have more free time. Unfortunately some of this is eaten up by needing extra sleep due to cancer treatment, but since I have to move at the end of July since my (bleep) landlord won’t extend my lease, I’ve been sorting through things and packing some, and readying some for Goodwill once I can donate again.

I figure the more I get rid of, the less I have to move, and since I live in a college town I am likely to have anywhere from 3-7 days where we are homeless because the landlords here like to end leases before July 31 and not start them until Aug 3 thru 6. So the less I have, maybe the easier it will be to get it loaded on my brother and cousin’s trailers and find somewhere to park it for a few nights and not have to rent a storage unit.

It’s no big deal for the college students to move because they don’t usually want to move in until the first weekend in August anyway since school doesn’t start until mid-month. But for us locals it’s really a pain!

your data already answered your question. Population, mass transit.
I can only speak for Southern California, as I've lived here for over 30 years.
Most people here, do not live in high rises. Most live in their own little tract home.
We use our cars, versus public transportation.
Southern California is as different as night and day to New York.
For the most part, we're secluded from our neighbors.
downtown Los Angeles is a different story.s
If you came to visit me in my part of San Diego, So. California, you'd be amazed, that we have horses, chickens and a 1950's type in downtown.
Huge producing strawberry, flower and tomato fields.
Many people here live on a acreage.
Bottom line, we don't mingle much, although millions live here. Moo

Someone upthread posted that California rates were probably similar to the Netherlands, so I pulled a screen shot from each (earlier today). What's interesting is that both are West Coast, NL has just over 1/3 population, same numbers.

NL Population : 17 million
California Population : 39 million

Netherlands Cases, deaths, etc

upload_2020-4-16_21-37-58.png

California cases, deaths, etc

upload_2020-4-16_21-38-16.png

Wash the frozen food package with water and soap, put the food in your container, get rid of the original package, wash your hands. Cook. Eat.
Think of the number of deaths so far. How many of them handled food from the store and put it in the freezer not knowing they had COVID? Another family member finds it months later not realizing it has the virus on it. That's my concern. What if a grandkid finds ice cream?

I’m fortunate enough to be working from home, but workload is down so I have more free time. Unfortunately some of this is eaten up by needing extra sleep due to cancer treatment, but since I have to move at the end of July since my (bleep) landlord won’t extend my lease, I’ve been sorting through things and packing some, and readying some for Goodwill once I can donate again.

I figure the more I get rid of, the less I have to move, and since I live in a college town I am likely to have anywhere from 3-7 days where we are homeless because the landlords here like to end leases before July 31 and not start them until Aug 3 thru 6. So the less I have, maybe the easier it will be to get it loaded on my brother and cousin’s trailers and find somewhere to park it for a few nights and not have to rent a storage unit.

It’s no big deal for the college students to move because they don’t usually want to move in until the first weekend in August anyway since school doesn’t start until mid-month. But for us locals it’s really a pain!

Purging is healthy, curb-side donate. You have somewhere lined up to live after a few nights in the trailer?

Think of the number of deaths so far. How many of them handled food from the store and put it in the freezer not knowing they had COVID? Another family member finds it months later not realizing it has the virus on it. That's my concern. What if a grandkid finds ice cream?

CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) just started telling stories of the people who died, not just who they were as a nameless old person in a senior's home, but a blind physiotherapist from England who settled in Canada in the 1960s, later treated elite athletes. He died from the virus.

Teach the children that no one but you serves food in your kitchen.
New times, new rules.

Since Chinese milk formula was found with Melomide, the Chinese have been buying babies formula and selling it to China for big dollars. It's such a big business that Australian mothers can't buy formula for their babies here so there has been a restriction of two containers.
Now the same that has been happening with toilet paper, women's hygene products and disposable diapers being sold online back to China. We haven't been hoarding these items, the Chinese have been going to the supermarkets by the bus load and wiping out these products for sale overseas.
Before we were aware of the dangers of this virus the toilet paper was being purchased on mass, we didn't have any idea why, in fact we were laughing at the stupidity. Now inhindsight, IMO the Chinese knew very well what we were all in for. It just makes you wonder.

Toilet paper is very expensive in China, as are all paper products. When we go to China, we bring a lot of toilet paper. It is light and so doesn't add significantly to the weight of your luggage.

I’ve literally done almost everyone of those things and it’s a non issue. The only people that can fine or arrest are state troopers and they have to stay on the highway. Don’t live in fear. Fake rules.
I must say, that this pandemic has exposed the utter stupidity of many of our elected officials.just
I'm not going to name, names. So not political.
Here are just a few new laws that can get you arrested and or fined, or, are forbidden throughout the U.S.A.
Watching the sunset while in your car.
Fishing.
Using your boat, going to your boat.
Surfing.
Going to the beach
Planting Vegetables
Buying liquor
Visiting a loved one in an institutional setting
Taking a drive in your car.
Sitting on a bench.
Driving without a face mask on.
Driving period (except for groceries or medicine, or, because you are essential)
Wearing an N-95 mask
Riding a bycicle
Taking a walk without a mask
Going to your second home
Entering Any business without a mask

I must say, that this pandemic has exposed the utter stupidity of many of our elected officials.just
I'm not going to name, names. So not political.
Here are just a few new laws that can get you arrested and or fined, or, are forbidden throughout the U.S.A.
Watching the sunset while in your car.
Fishing.
Using your boat, going to your boat.
Surfing.
Going to the beach
Planting Vegetables
Buying liquor
Visiting a loved one in an institutional setting
Taking a drive in your car.
Sitting on a bench.
Driving without a face mask on.
Driving period (except for groceries or medicine, or, because you are essential)
Wearing an N-95 mask
Riding a bycicle
Taking a walk without a mask
Going to your second home
Entering Any business without a mask

Buying liquor? I thought liquor stores were deemed essential businesses.

Anyone else starting to forget what life was like "before"

Here is the beloved WaPo satirist Alexandra Petri taking on life “before” as only she can.

So, in this fantasy, what are you wearing?

I am wearing clothes because I expect to see and be seen by other people. I have recently washed my body, and I slept a normal amount — neither too little nor too much — and all my dreams were just, like, normal dreams. I am wearing a shirt, but also, I am wearing pants, because I am going to go out and be seen by people in a place where they will know whether I am wearing pants or not.

Where are you going?

I am going to meet people in a public place. I am going to stand near those people.

How big is the distance between you and those people going to be?

It is going to be so small.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/16/youre-wearing-pants-tell-me-more/

Last edited:
I'm no doctor but that makes me think of the Chicken Pox virus that will hide within the body and come out later as shingles.

I thought all viruses did that, though? At least in the dim mists of my memory, I remember somebody telling me that's why people seem to get sick with the same symptoms over and over again - once you get any virus, you're stuck with a little seed kernel of it, just awaiting to be reawakened from dormancy.

Also not a doctor; but I did feel like I was continually sick with the same thing over and over again through minimum high school and college. (Since then I've had allergy treatments; so might be a little muddier.)

ETA: Farmers are chartering planes to beat the coronavirus lockdown and save their crops - CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member