Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Wahl home hair cutting kit and used it for the first time this afternoon. Not bad for the first try at cutting my own hair.

I planned on doing this when I retired to save money on hair cuts. That plan got green lighted early because of the current situation.

I was looking online for something to use on my husband's head--he's mostly bald on top and they normally use a #2 setting on what hair there is. I hear Wahl clippers are hard to find. Plenty of demand I guess.

I was looking online for something to use on my husband's head--he's mostly bald on top and they normally use a #2 setting on what hair there is. I hear Wahl clippers are hard to find. Plenty of demand I guess.
I ordered mine a month ago on Amazon.

When I first looked at buying a hair cutting kit there was plenty available.

By the time I got serious and wanted to order it got more difficult. My first choice that was on my wish list was not available so I had to keep looking until I found the one I bought.

This, and the factory my sister works at, are the types of places that need testing done. I'm ok going back to work with my 3 coworkers. But these people, where hundreds work closely together, need testing. I can't tell you how worried I am about my sister's situation where coworkers have tested positive.
We have a wind power factory in our city that produces wind turbine blades. 800 people work there. None them have been wearing PPE. A few days ago, they had a drive through testing of 400 of the employees. Approximately 122 tested positive for the virus. The plant is shut down for cleaning and all the employees have been ordered to stay home and self quarantine for 2 weeks. However, anyone who lives in the household where any of these employees are living, are not required to self quarantine. Does that make any sense?

At the beginning of last week, we had a total of 11 people test positive in our county so far. Now we have 133.

Next week they're going to test the other 400.

Just my own humble gardening opinion. Hey Teche, ya got Fontenot peppers?? Mine went in yesterday. Looove heirloom veg!!!
No Fontenot peppers but my husband grows Tabasco peppers. He makes chow chow. It’s his favorite pepper. His family had a pepper business for 2 generations. I’ll have to ask him about Fontenot peppers. There are a bunch of Fontenot (people) in my area. Good old Cajun name.

Broward county, yeah. It will all be cause of death, "Respiratory Issues". I know that we are not seeing the whole picture in the news.

The Villages is not in Broward County. Most of The Villages is in Sumter County, extending into Lake and Marion Counties. It is where I live, which some posters have no doubt guessed.

We are doing quite well. I believe we have fewer than 114 cases, with a population of @ 120,000. Our regional hospital leaves a lot to be desired. I would go to Ocala if I had a choice.

The overwhelming majority of peeps are taking this seriously.

We have a wind power factory in our city that produces wind turbine blades. 800 people work there. None them have been wearing PPE. A few days ago, they had a drive through testing of 400 of the employees. Approximately 122 tested positive for the virus. The plant is shut down for cleaning and all the employees have been ordered to stay home and self quarantine for 2 weeks. However, anyone who lives in the household where any of these employees are living, are not required to self quarantine. Does that make any sense?

At the beginning of last week, we had a total of 11 people test positive in our county so far. Now we have 133.

Next week they're going to test the other 400.
What city is this?

New Jersey:

Coronavirus updates: Positive cases over 85K; Firefighter dies after 'long and tough battle’ with COVID-19. What you need to know (April 19, 2020)

“Total cases of the coronavirus in New Jersey increased on Sunday to 85,301 while deaths climbed to 4,202, according to state officials.

The numbers reflect 132 new fatalities and 3,915 new positive tests. Officials released the data on the state Department of Health coronavirus dashboard.

Sadly, we’ve lost another 132 New Jerseyans,” Gov. Phil Murphy said in an afternoon tweet. “We’ve now lost a total of 4,202 souls to #COVID19.”

Long-term care facilities in the state have been hard hit by the virus, with 420 facilities with at least one coronavirus case. Fatalities tied to the centers increased on Sunday to 1,730.“

The Villages is not in Broward County. Most of The Villages is in Sumter County, extending into Lake and Marion Counties. It is where I live, which some posters have no doubt guessed.

We are doing quite well. I believe we have fewer than 114 cases, with a population of @ 120,000. Our regional hospital leaves a lot to be desired. I would go to Ocala if I had a choice.

The overwhelming majority of peeps are taking this seriously.

Maybe my post wasn't clear. I believe that Florida really hasn't even started yet. Not "The Villages" in Central Florida. And I believe that they will be finding dead seniors, who died alone, in their apartments in Broward county. They will just put whatever cause of death, and move on.

Just waiting for the ball to drop.

NEXTSTRAIN.....watch the video for info on this topic.

This week's #covideo focuses on the USA. We find that both nearby and distant states have closely related #COVID19 outbreaks, so decisions by individual states will likely impact the larger country.
Nextstrain Situation Report 2020-04-17
Thank you @OliviaPhamNow for producing this video.

Planning for a "soft" re-opening of our restaurant.
I have ordered hydrogen peroxide, plastic bottles with pumps, napkins, hundreds of gloves and masks.
We have a large patio, where we can space people out. Our formal dining room is small, so we will have to remove tables or put "reserved signs" on tables, to keep people spaced apart.
Keeping our servers spaced apart will be difficult.
They all gather at the pass station to pick up their plates of food.
In the warmer months, we generally have live music, such as a guitarist or sax player. I have an outside area where I can put them.
But, all of this will be difficult, and definitely reduce our income from previous times. I will need someone able to continue to do the curbside service.
I'm trying to prepare and get ready to train staff and micro manage the employees. Our employees are adults, not young kids, so, that should help.

This is what I was trying to explain to my husband.
I want to go buy baby chicks and raise them. They would not be able to lay eggs until probably November, but what if in November we realize we really should've bought baby chicks in April?
Honestly I don't think we are allowed to own any hens, as we live on less than 2 acres, but if we need eggs for food... and share with the neighbors.
Who is going to tell?
Hopefully things won't get to that point, but will they really tell me I can't keep the hens, if there is a food shortage?
Oh well. I don't think I will convince him this is something we should do.
It does worry me.
Moo

Chickens have been in our dream plan for a while but we are not doing them this year because we know we are not ready. I've researched raising chickens for many years and we have some neighbors that have them. I don't think there will be an egg shortage. Meat supply does concern me mildly but we decided we will hunt and fish if meat becomes really scarce in the stores. If you are truly concerned about the meat supply, and want to be self-sufficient, look into raising rabbits instead of chickens. Rabbits are less work/less investment up front, you can keep them in a rabbit hutch in a normal sized backyard and they breed like, well rabbits. And if everything turns out to be fine this year you can sell them as pets. Goats (for their milk) are also on my dream list but that's probably not feasible for anyone that has a small backyard. Another option is to raise fish in a backyard swimming pool or pond. Someone posted earlier that they noticed pools are almost sold out. The post was speculating about people buying them for their kids who will miss going to a public pool this summer but I think there may be a large subset of homesteaders who are buying pools to raise their own fish. Our first homestead investment is going to be honey bees because that goes well with having a large garden and we can't produce our own sugar.

MOO.

Last edited:
I don't think there will be a vaccine and that is how we have to think going forward. There will still be a risk of catching it and we still do not know if those who get over it or get it mildly will be immune either. Why isn't this known yet? That's what I don't understand.

Everyone is entitled to medical help, even prisoners, so why are you saying this?

You can buy a book on Amazon or Audible that traces the history of a vaccine (polio or small pox - both have several popular books about them). It's not something that can be explained on WS. It's complex.

There are two main kinds of vaccines, both with (serious/fatal) risks in the testing group. Many doctors are organizing around the web to be those testers (and lots of other academics, nurses and retired nurses, and medical students and many others). But the tests have to include infants, children, etc., eventually.

When the vaccine is tested among adults in consenting groups over 21...then some of those people (usually academics, scientists, doctors, nurses, again) will consent for their kids to try it - because they truly believe they have informed consent. Have you been in such a trial? I have. But I was not able, as a mother, to allow my daughters to be in any.

So, we go to other countries with different standards, where people get a pittance for taking the vaccine and some person who is Bill Gates-like tries to make it work ethically, and well, we test it in India. There are entire books written about just this part - this is the part that fascinates me (that plus all the computer-based models they have to create just to input and then study this data - PM me if you want a short documentary about some aspects of this science).

The vaccine may never be invented - to understand why, you need to learn about basic genetics, mutations and how viral proteins work. The last part is beyond me - and I can PM you an article that I'm struggling to read, f you want to see what the research is like and why it's mindbogglingly complicated.

Some major vaccine experts, geneticists and virologists are hopeful though. If not a vaccine, perhaps some other semi-lasting method of mitigating symptoms in the ones who get symptoms.

Otherwise, we go to herd immunity and to be frank, that's what's causing the argument/discussion over 'opening.'

Japan:

New wave of infections threatens to collapse Japan hospitals

“TOKYO (AP) — Hospitals in Japan are increasingly turning away sick people as the country struggles with surging coronavirus infections and its emergency medical system collapses.”

[...]

“The Japanese Association for Acute Medicine and the Japanese Society for Emergency Medicine say many hospital emergency rooms are refusing to treat people including those suffering strokes, heart attacks and external injuries.

Japan initially seemed to have controlled the outbreak by going after clusters of infections in specific places, usually enclosed spaces such as clubs, gyms and meeting venues. But the spread of virus outpaced this approach and most new cases are untraceable.”

—-

Some Japan hospitals overwhelmed as nation tops 10,000 coronavirus cases

“As of Sunday morning, Japan had over 10,400 confirmed coronavirus cases and more than 220 deaths, officials said.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow