CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle and uniform, 23 killed - Portapique, NS *suspect dead*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give your SIL a virtual hug from me. I have the upmost respect for all LE involved. I cant begin to imagine what this was like for them. I can understand Victims Family having anger. It's going to be part of their process. For me, directing anger at LE gives killer exactly what he wants and power that lives on.

Yah I agree and for me its not about anger towards LE but I do believe the victims families and the public in general do deserve transparency on why things were done the way that they were.

And I can definitely understand the frustration and anger from victims families and it's definitely not my position to tell them how they should or shouldn't feel.

Hopefully they will get those answers in due time and LE will learn some things that they may do different in the future.

This was definitely a very rapidly changing and hectic situation for all involved

Last edited:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

I suspect there are a lot of things we don’t fully understand at this point. Hopefully LE will be transparent about the sequence of events and if something like this should ever happen again, LE across the country will issue an emergency alert sooner rather than later. Despite the fact they weren’t aware till early Sunday morning that he was driving a vehicle that looked like an RCMP cruiser and wearing a RCMP uniform, they did know by late Saturday night that a VERY dangerous individual was on the loose and a “tweet” just doesn’t cut it. Yesterday, while “Zooming” with some friends, 5 of us to be exact, it was interesting that only 2 of us had a twitter account and we rarely pay any attention to it. Seeing they can send out an Emergency Alert to “stay at home” for Covid 19, at midnight no less, which had been on the news for days already, I think this system would have been far better utilized to warn the people of Nova Scotia that a lunatic with a gun who had already killed a few people and is burning down homes, was on the loose. JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder whether GW may have on some level identified the Route 2 in Nova Scotia with Route 2 in Massachusetts. As has been pointed out, there were lots of murders/disappearances near this road in the 70s and even early 80s. I had been thinking the reference if there was one in those MA cases mostly had to do with the former Fitchburg Railroad that mostly runs along Route 2 (and maybe I mostly still think that). Perhaps GW was too intimate as a child with very bad people (maybe way too intimate) and didn't have enough moral virtue to avoid emulating some of the worst tendencies of those abusers as an adult.

Ab01, Thank you for expressing that. It was a very confusing, scary time for the officers involved, we have never had a situation such as this in our small province. My son-in-law was on the scenes and he is angry, tired and heartbroken. The amount of devastation he has seen in the last few days will stay with him and the others forever. They did their best with what they knew at the time, no one can prepare for the carnage this killer has left us with. Please do not criticize the RCMP during this time, they are also grieving and trying to help the families put their loved ones to rest..

I can't imagine what the first-responders were experiencing. The area must have been pitch black, without street lights, and very chaotic with multiple huge fires, people trapped in them, fuel cans exploding on private property, people hiding, bodies inside and outside, not knowing if there was a sniper. Having whoever was doing this simply vanish must have made it very confusing. With things continuing to happen, and only one way into the area, it's no wonder they thought they had him contained, and he was in one of the houses, or in the bushes. One would never suspect the guy had simply driven away in a cruiser. The fact a cruiser at the fire hall was shot on testifies to how confusing, urgent, and chaotic the situation was for the responders.

I think it is also important to remember that most RCMP detachments are short-staffed, and the detachment closest to Portapipue would be small with perhaps only a couple of officers / cruisers on duty overnight. It would take time to realize the significance of the situation, call for others, and for those to arrive. It's not difficult to understand that they didn't imagine the devastation could be so widespread until the next morning when he became active again. I think it is an accomplishment that they tracked him down when they did.

In the briefing yesterday they said that a witness came forward and was the one who informed them of the uniform and car. It didn't sound like a random eyewitness, but someone who knew him. I wouldn't be surprised if it was her.

Edit - I think that is what you are saying. A witness provided the picture of the car. The RCMP were pretty evasive on discussing this further

I would really like to hear more from the man on his hit list who refused to sell him am ex LE vehicle. I'm willing to bet he shed some real insight on the killer.

I suppose it's kind of pointless / unhelpful speculation, but I do wonder why he chose to burn everything?

Was he trying to cover his tracks while thinking he could somehow escape? Trying to cause as much damage as possible?

I just can't help but think of these poor families who lost loved ones who also lost family homes / heirlooms / inheritance items etc... Just makes it that much worse.

This guy was a real piece of garbage

In the briefing yesterday they said that a witness came forward and was the one who informed them of the uniform and car. It didn't sound like a random eyewitness, but someone who knew him. I wouldn't be surprised if it was her.

Edit - I think that is what you are saying. A witness provided the picture of the car. The RCMP were pretty evasive on discussing this further

I would really like to hear more from the man on his hit list who refused to sell him am ex LE vehicle. I'm willing to bet he shed some real insight on the killer.
I'm curious how the silver Chev tracker comes into play. Was that the vehicle that he carjacked in order to leave the crash scene in from shubencadie?

All the images and videos I have seen show him being apprehended at the Irving Big stop in a dark color Mazda3

I have never seen an image of the supposed silver Chev tracker

I think its possible that he switched vehicles leaving the silver tracker at his final victims residence or however he encountered her along the way btwn the crash site in shubencadie and Enfield Irving Big Stop gas station. Possibly mazda 3 belonged to victim GG JMO
upload_2020-4-22_21-22-51-png.244054

upload_2020-4-22_21-23-35-png.244055

crime scene map: NS Rampage - خرائطي على Google

source https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/04/21/death-toll-could-rise-in-nova-scotia-as-investigation-into-mass-killing-continues.html

I've been wondering that as well. I'm kind of stuck from here;

Video shows him putting on reflective vest and driving mock RCMP vehicle.

After this he is witnessed murdering Constable Heidi Stevenson while NOT wearing the vest. Has it been reported what kind of vehicle he rammed Constable Stevenson's vehicle with? Was it his mock RCMP car or the silver SUV?

If it was the mock RCMP car, it's assumed he obtained the silver Tracker after he murdered Stevenson.

If the vehicle he rammed hers with is the Tracker, he would have likely obtained the Tracker around the time he removed the reflective vest.

I'll have to find the video again but it looked as though he rammed Stevenson's vehicle with the mock RCMP cruiser.

ADMIN NOTE:

Please STOP posting and discussing rumors. Rumor posts and all responses stemming from them will be removed.

Websleuths as fact based. Members must have MSM articles or LE sources to support what they are stating as fact and you must provide a link to that source. You can't just say you read it somewhere and you cannot post what you "heard" or what someone else told you or what you read on social media (unless that social media belongs to LE or an MSM source).

Posting rumors can result in a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges. Please post responsibly and in accordance with TOS (aka The Rules) linked in my signature.

Thanks.

I've been wondering that as well. I'm kind of stuck from here;

Video shows him putting on reflective vest and driving mock RCMP vehicle.

After this he is witnessed murdering Constable Heidi Stevenson while NOT wearing the vest. Has it been reported what kind of vehicle he rammed Constable Stevenson's vehicle with? Was it his mock RCMP car or the silver SUV?

If it was the mock RCMP car, it's assumed he obtained the silver Tracker after he murdered Stevenson.

If the vehicle he rammed hers with is the Tracker, he would have likely obtained the Tracker around the time he removed the reflective vest.

I'll have to find the video again but it looked as though he rammed Stevenson's vehicle with the mock RCMP cruiser.

Good question and this may answer that question if the witness is accurate in her depiction.

"While driving near Highway 102 — one of the province's main arteries — on Sunday morning, Shubenacadie resident Darcy Sack said she and her friend saw two police vehicles on fire by the silver suspect vehicle. She saw an officer run toward one of the burning vehicles as shots rang out, before seeing the shooter — dressed like a police officer — in the silver car again being chased by police. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/mass-killings-what-we-know-what-we-don-t-1.5537918

I suppose it's kind of pointless / unhelpful speculation, but I do wonder why he chose to burn everything?

Was he trying to cover his tracks while thinking he could somehow escape? Trying to cause as much damage as possible?

I just can't help but think of these poor families who lost loved ones who also lost family homes / heirlooms / inheritance items etc... Just makes it that much worse.

Not sure if a paywall will prevent some from being able to access this article, so I'll quote, but the connection to another "structure fire" is interesting. I will be following whether investigators ever link GW to other crimes that previously went undetected or unsolved.

From ‘He didn’t hide this vehicle’: Nova Scotia killer’s fixation with police was on full display:

Wortman performed carpentry work like a “master,” said the neighbour, who declined to be identified given the notoriety of the crime.

He said Wortman would invite him over to see his latest stone work, concrete work or carpentry work. One time, it was to show off a dazzling kitchen transformation that the neighbour said looked like it was out of a magazine.

It was clear he was a perfectionist. He had a garage with every conceivable tool.

“I was always so impressed by it. I never met a guy who could do so many things,” said the neighbour.

Many years ago, when there was a structure fire next door, the neighbour said Wortman acquired the property and turned it into a parking lot.

Wortman was also meticulous about the upkeep of the property. There’s a bus stop outside the clinic and the neighbour said he could always be seen picking up trash on the sidewalk.

The neighbour said he never saw the RCMP replica vehicle Wortman drove this weekend (Walker said it was stored at Wortman’s property in Portapique), but confirmed that Wortman kept a couple of stripped down Ford police vehicles in his driveway.

Media took pictures of one of the vehicles in the driveway Monday. By Tuesday, authorities had removed it.

When the neighbour asked Wortman why he liked that type of vehicle, Wortman replied it was for the “power.”

Good question and this may answer that question if the witness is accurate in her depiction.

"While driving near Highway 102 — one of the province's main arteries — on Sunday morning, Shubenacadie resident Darcy Sack said she and her friend saw two police vehicles on fire by the silver suspect vehicle. She saw an officer run toward one of the burning vehicles as shots rang out, before seeing the shooter — dressed like a police officer — in the silver car again being chased by police. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/mass-killings-what-we-know-what-we-don-t-1.5537918

I found the video again (not the one admin took down due to graphic content). At 2:51 in two RCMP vehicles can be seen sitting charred out against a guardrail. I assumed one to be the killer's mock RCMP cruiser, but, considering that witnesses' statement, perhaps both cruisers are legit RCMP vehicles, one being Constable Stevenson's, and the other back up?

If that's the case, did he ram her vehicle with the silver SUV and keep going? Or did he ram her vehicle with his mock cruiser then take the silver tracker?

Not sure if a paywall will prevent some from being able to access this article, so I'll quote, but the connection to another "structure fire" is interesting. I will be following whether investigators ever link GW to other crimes that previously went undetected or unsolved.

From ‘He didn’t hide this vehicle’: Nova Scotia killer’s fixation with police was on full display:

Wortman performed carpentry work like a “master,” said the neighbour, who declined to be identified given the notoriety of the crime.

He said Wortman would invite him over to see his latest stone work, concrete work or carpentry work. One time, it was to show off a dazzling kitchen transformation that the neighbour said looked like it was out of a magazine.

It was clear he was a perfectionist. He had a garage with every conceivable tool.

“I was always so impressed by it. I never met a guy who could do so many things,” said the neighbour.

Many years ago, when there was a structure fire next door, the neighbour said Wortman acquired the property and turned it into a parking lot.

Wortman was also meticulous about the upkeep of the property. There’s a bus stop outside the clinic and the neighbour said he could always be seen picking up trash on the sidewalk.

The neighbour said he never saw the RCMP replica vehicle Wortman drove this weekend (Walker said it was stored at Wortman’s property in Portapique), but confirmed that Wortman kept a couple of stripped down Ford police vehicles in his driveway.

Media took pictures of one of the vehicles in the driveway Monday. By Tuesday, authorities had removed it.

When the neighbour asked Wortman why he liked that type of vehicle, Wortman replied it was for the “power.”

You can see what appears to be one of those vehicles parked in the back of his denture office here.
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
upload_2020-4-23_15-3-15.png

upload_2020-4-23_15-4-52.png

Folks, I've removed Joe Warmington's "white man bias" article from this discussion. It is an opinion piece and at this time is not known to be a factor in this tragic case.

Please stick to discussing MSM news or LE news and known facts related to the case.

I found the video again (not the one admin took down due to graphic content). At 2:51 in two RCMP vehicles can be seen sitting charred out against a guardrail. I assumed one to be the killer's mock RCMP cruiser, but, considering that witnesses' statement, perhaps both cruisers are legit RCMP vehicles, one being Constable Stevenson's, and the other back up?

If that's the case, did he ram her vehicle with the silver SUV and keep going? Or did he ram her vehicle with his mock cruiser then take the silver tracker?

From A trail of chaos, victims and anguished questions — Nova Scotia gunman’s rampage stuns nation:

Eric Fisher, a resident of the small farming community of Shubenacadie, N.S., was on Facebook Sunday morning between 10:30 and 11 a.m. reading about a gunman on the loose, when he heard the pop-pop-pop of gunfire outside. He glanced out his kitchen window, which overlooks a highway roundabout, and saw what appeared to be two police cruisers that had collided on the ramp.

At the time, he thought it was an officer — wearing dark trousers and a lighter shirt — who ran over to the side of one of the vehicles and fired several more rounds into it.

“Apparently it wasn’t a police officer,” he said later. “It was the man on the loose.”

And the target, he would later learn, was Const. Heidi Stevenson, a veteran member of the RCMP.

As he turned away to dial 911, Fisher said he saw what looked like a civilian vehicle approach the two cars that had collided. The driver got out, presumably to provide assistance. When Fisher turned back, the third vehicle was gone. A fire had broken out by the first two cars, quickly engulfing them. Police later confirmed that after the gunman’s own vehicle — the replica RCMP cruiser — became undrivable, he used other civilian vehicles to escape police.

From A trail of chaos, victims and anguished questions — Nova Scotia gunman’s rampage stuns nation:

Eric Fisher, a resident of the small farming community of Shubenacadie, N.S., was on Facebook Sunday morning between 10:30 and 11 a.m. reading about a gunman on the loose, when he heard the pop-pop-pop of gunfire outside. He glanced out his kitchen window, which overlooks a highway roundabout, and saw what appeared to be two police cruisers that had collided on the ramp.

At the time, he thought it was an officer — wearing dark trousers and a lighter shirt — who ran over to the side of one of the vehicles and fired several more rounds into it.

“Apparently it wasn’t a police officer,” he said later. “It was the man on the loose.”

And the target, he would later learn, was Const. Heidi Stevenson, a veteran member of the RCMP.

As he turned away to dial 911, Fisher said he saw what looked like a civilian vehicle approach the two cars that had collided. The driver got out, presumably to provide assistance. When Fisher turned back, the third vehicle was gone. A fire had broken out by the first two cars, quickly engulfing them. Police later confirmed that after the gunman’s own vehicle — the replica RCMP cruiser — became undrivable, he used other civilian vehicles to escape police.

Thank you for posting that. So, one of those was in fact his mock cruiser and it's there he stole the SUV.

Snipped

Good questions about the arson. He not only killed, but destroyed property and things of monetary value. He was bent on destruction beyond killing. What caused this rage? And then to destroy innocent people at random just for the sake of it?

When did this time bomb start? Did anyone notice it building?

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member