CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle and uniform, 23 killed - Portapique, NS *suspect dead*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know where he was in between changing into the vest and the scene where he murdered Constable Stevenson, where he was not wearing the vest?
I'm working on trying to find the location of the surveillance footage of him putting the vest on. at 10:55 to see how far it is from the location of the crash on hwy 2 in Shubencadie.

"The person who posted the video said it was taken from a surveillance camera outside their father’s business in Millbrook First Nation, just eight kilometres north of Brookfield."

Video appears to show Nova Scotia shooting suspect stop, change clothes amid killing spree

خرائط ‪Google

upload_2020-4-23_16-3-11.png
‬‏‏

Appears to be about 30km and 24min away

Last edited:
I found the video again (not the one admin took down due to graphic content). At 2:51 in two RCMP vehicles can be seen sitting charred out against a guardrail. I assumed one to be the killer's mock RCMP cruiser, but, considering that witnesses' statement, perhaps both cruisers are legit RCMP vehicles, one being Constable Stevenson's, and the other back up?

If that's the case, did he ram her vehicle with the silver SUV and keep going? Or did he ram her vehicle with his mock cruiser then take the silver tracker?

More than one source has reported she rammed him in an attempt to stop him. I believe she rammed his fake cruiser with hers, and then stole the Tracker belonging to the young father Joe, out buying furnace oil.

They also included RCMP Constable Heidi Stevenson, a 23-year veteran of Canada’s famed police force, who at one point rammed her cruiser into Wortman’s vehicle to try to stop him, sources told the Sun.

Wortman, 51, then “shot her in the chest with a bunch of rounds,’’ a source said.

Then he “pulled her out of the car and executed her point-blank . . . took her gun and [ammo], burned his own car and took her car,’’ the source said.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/20/nova-scotia-shooting-details-emerge-in-gabriel-wortmans-rampage/

_____

An officer said Stevenson rammed her killer’s vehicle on a highway and he shot her multiple times, finally pulling her out of the car, shooting her again, then he “took her gun and mags, burned his own car and took her car.
JOE WARMINGTON: Nova Scotia mass murder was evil and calculated | The Chronicle Herald
Perhaps Joe's vehicle was low on fuel, or the fact there were witnesses who saw him take it lead him to kill Gina (I think the name is) for her Mazda, that being the car he was fueling when apprehended and killed.

The more I read, the more I'm a bit dumbfounded. They don't know whether they caught the shooter at 11:21PM April 18? Are RCMP not talking to each other as they swarm the area?

"Do we know if they've caught the assailant?" a first responder asked dispatch at 11:21 p.m.

"No, not for sure," was the response. "They don't know if they've caught him."

In fact, it wasn't until early Sunday — sometime between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. according to Leather — that investigators finally came to understand that their suspect, Gabriel Wortman, was likely wearing an RCMP uniform and driving a replica police cruiser.

That information wasn't shared with the public until 10:17 a.m., in a tweet."​

https://www.cbc.ca/news/nova-scotia-shooting-manhunt-details-1.5542025

I have to agree with victims who have spoken out regarding the absence of notification. At the same time, I can understand police thinking that if they send an alert via phone the shooter will know that they're looking for him. He knew anyway - a bit of confused thinking about how to keep people safe without using phone alerts.

I think we only have the radio chatter from the local police, the RCMP radio dialogue has not been released.

CBC:
"Do we know if they've caught the assailant?" a first responder asked dispatch at 11:21 p.m.

"No, not for sure," was the response. "They don't know if they've caught him."
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5542025?__twitter_impression=true

The first responder above asking the question may have been a paramedic, IMO.

The police couldn’t clear firefighters to respond to the fires because there was an active shooter, so the same would be true of paramedics.

IMO it may have been a paramedic looking for an update as they knew there were victims down.

(Part of the radio exchange I heard was a speaker reporting locations of ‘patients’ down.)

NP timeline:

I'm working on trying to find the location of the surveillance footage of him putting the vest on. at 10:55 to see how far it is from the location of the crash on hwy 2 in Shubencadie.

"The person who posted the video said it was taken from a surveillance camera outside their father’s business in Millbrook First Nation, just eight kilometres north of Brookfield."

Video appears to show Nova Scotia shooting suspect stop, change clothes amid killing spree

This may have already been posted, but Gina Goulet had a denture clinic in Brookfield.

Corridor Denture Clinic

The location of the CCTV with the the changing into the vest is on Willow Street (technically still Truro), aka Highway 2 near Marshalls Ln. It's 500-600 meters south of the Millbrook RCMP Detatchment. (The actual business was published in MSM, but I won't name it here, I'm sure they're fielding a lot of media calls.) It's about 50 kms from the CCTV to the Irving Big Stop in Enfield (via Shubenacadie where the car fires were) on secondary roads.

The time stamp says 10:55 am, but I think in order for the timeline to work down the road to Shubenacadie, car crash, switch cars twice, and then to Enfield for an 11:26 capture that clock must be about 10 minutes fast. MOO again

Last edited:
At this time, we don't know that his ex-girlfriend and her boyfriend were murdered. That is a rumour. He shot many neighbours, so I think it's fair to say that he was holding grudges against a lot of people. There's no other way to explain all the murdered people that knew him.

He's shameless in terms of pulling the rug out from under people who trusted him.
I agree with this. People who are in the habit of resentment and vengeance will stoke their rage at anyone who they perceive to unfairly "have it better" than them. I think of killers like Elliot Rodgers and the GSK/EAR/ONS. If they perceive someone to have what they do not--happiness, love, respect, a relationship--they believe they are entitled to punish that person. It's terribly sick, but it defines so many of these mass killers.

It may be that all some of GW's neighbors "did to" him was to appear to have a happy life. No matter how many material possessions he collected, that was something he could never have, because he was such an angry, unpleasant, controlling person. Love and happiness cannot be bought or stolen, only earned. They cannot understand that, and they HATE normal people for their ability to have good lives and love.

Welcome to Ws jaxb, thanks for the link!..
''Investigators believe Wortman and his girlfriend were at a party at a nearby home in the Portapique area when Wortman began arguing with her. They left the party and sources believe Wortman escalated the argument back at his cottage — assaulting her and tying her up. She escaped and hid in the woods.

Wortman left his cottage after the assault and investigators believe that’s when the shootings started. He returned to the house where the party was being held and killed several people there, sources said.''

I believe 198 Highway 224 is the final crime scene before the capture at the Irving Big Stop in Enfield @ 11:26 am.

I would normally do a detailed map with possible routes, but I'm uncomfortable pinpointing even approximate locations where so many lives were senselessly taken.

A new version of events, not that it’s factual either as the source is unnamed. It somewhat resembles another recount by a neighbour that occurred in iirc 2002 when GW was treating his girlfriend poorly at a party so I’m a little sceptical. No other source has mentioned a party in Portapique that night, that I recall. My biggest question would be why would he only tie her up, then go on to viciously and cold-heartedly murder so many other people?

“The killings that began Saturday night in the rural Nova Scotia community of Portapique and ended the next morning with the death of the gunman at a gas station started with domestic violence when Gabriel Wortman attacked his girlfriend, sources tell Global News.

Investigators believe Wortman and his girlfriend were at a party at a nearby home in the Portapique area when Wortman began arguing with her. They left the party and sources believe Wortman escalated the argument back at his cottage — assaulting her and tying her up. She escaped and hid in the woods.

Wortman left his cottage after the assault and investigators believe that’s when the shootings started. He returned to the house where the party was being held and killed several people there, sources said...”

Nova Scotia shootings began after gunman attacked his girlfriend, sources say

Last edited:
A new version of events, not that it’s factual either as the source is unnamed. It somewhat resembles another recount by a neighbour that occurred in iirc 2002 when GW was treating his girlfriend poorly at a party so I’m a little sceptical. No other source has mentioned a party in Portapique that night, that I recall.

“The killings that began Saturday night in the rural Nova Scotia community of Portapique and ended the next morning with the death of the gunman at a gas station started with domestic violence when Gabriel Wortman attacked his girlfriend, sources tell Global News.

Investigators believe Wortman and his girlfriend were at a party at a nearby home in the Portapique area when Wortman began arguing with her. They left the party and sources believe Wortman escalated the argument back at his cottage — assaulting her and tying her up. She escaped and hid in the woods.

Wortman left his cottage after the assault and investigators believe that’s when the shootings started. He returned to the house where the party was being held and killed several people there, sources said...”

Nova Scotia shootings began after gunman attacked his girlfriend, sources say

I find the bolded above credible. It finally makes sense of the reports of arriving police finding a number of people dead inside and outside of a single residence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member