GUILTY NM - Sasha Marie Krause, 27, murdered, Farmington, 18 Jan 2020 *arrests*

The arrest affidavit lists his address as a home in Gleason, WI. If you google that address the owner has the same last name as him.

ETA: This article has the affidavit Luke Air Force Base airman arrested in New Mexico woman's murder

Thank you for drawing attention to the arrest affidavit!!!

Article also states that they are not ruling out that multiple people may have been involved. Firearm also involved. Felony-Murder. Doesn't mean she was shot. But I hope not.

That bag of empty bag of beer bottles has more significance now. If he was off base for the weekend, he could have just been sitting around on the steps with some friends drinking beer and killing time. A crime of opportunity.

Is there a link for this?

These are the kind of breadcrumbs that lead somewhere. ;)

This case really isn’t a huge “mystery” IMO it’s just so much of it was a 1950s style investigation (to steal Sheriff Ferrari’s words) that the majority of information that ties it all up can’t be posted on Websleuths for lack of links.

Hopefully more will be coming out now that there’s been an arrest.

Do you have a link to what the Sheriff said?

This wasn’t a random opportunity IMO.
Mark Gooch grew up Mennonite according to church directories and print news articles in the community.

Mark Gooch once listed Grandview TX as an address according to online searches. Grandview Mennonite church is where Sashas father is minister.

Could be coincidence but there are more connections (that can’t be discussed here) that IMO say it’s not. I think it’s entirely possible that someone at Sashas church knew his family, they went to Bible school together or someone at Farmington knew Mark Gooch. Or maybe all three?

IMO the fact that he had her underwear and head covering is very significant. I don’t believe for a moment that he drove from AZ to Farmington to commit an opportunistic crime.
This was fantastic sleuthing. Where did you find this information? You can talk here about connections what are supported, i.e. in directories, property records, public employment records etc. not just MSM. If you think it violates TOS, can you point us in the right direction?

There is an older MG with an address at an airforce base in New Mexico six hours from Farmington. Don't know if MG is related to the older MG. Same middle name though, per the arrest warrant.

The mis ilitary connection interesting - Mennonite's usually have conscience objector status. This is an old "statement of faith" but from what I can tell it is still applicable. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge can opine.
Statement of Our Position on Military Service (Mennonite Church, 1917) - Anabaptistwiki
"This position has been uniformly held by our forefathers from Reformation times and their loyalty and devotion to their faith is attested by their suffering, even to the extent of martyrdom and banishment by those governments enjoining military service upon their citizens"

It's interesting that at the beginning of the thread, there was a lot of speculation that there was silence about the crime because it was another person in the Mennonite community. Then opinion switched. And it has come back full circle - which makes so much more sense.
Hopefully more will be coming out now that there’s been an arrest.
Yes. At the very least we will see more at the preliminary hearing. I'm not sure of AZ rules of procedure (I think AZ is prosecuting) so it could be a short time, or a while.

Last edited:
This was fantastic sleuthing. Where did you find this information? You can talk here about connections what are supported, i.e. in directories, property records, public employment records etc. not just MSM. If you think it violates TOS, can you point us in the right direction?

I’ve followed this case extremely closely and have connections to the Nationwide ultra conservative Mennonite community.

I would start looking at the connections Mark had. He grew up Mennonite in WI. However, he’s in the Air Force which would be a huge “no no” in an ultra conservative group. So he likely didn’t want to be Mennonite. Whether he was ex-communicated or left or never accepted the faith I’m not sure but I am sure that military service wouldn’t have been a positive supported choice or situation.

It’s extremely common in these ultra conservative groups for people to go from one church in the fellowship to another and especially so if they are labeled “troubled” as young people (which in some cases simply means they aren’t adhering to church standards). To seek “church counseling” or remove them from people they aren’t getting along with.

I want to be careful and clear because there’s a wide array of “Mennonite” beliefs and the way they operate is very different.

Nationwide church’s are among the most conservative and strict. I’m not saying all Mennonites are this or that but I’m honestly surprised something like this hasn’t occurred long before now within the ultra conservative churches. However, it could have and the world may never know. They typically do not involve law enforcement until it absolutely cannot be avoided. They typically don’t do autopsies, don’t believe in psychological counseling. The environment is rich for potential abuse.

Just the horror of the RSO at Farmington and knowing the story of how he harmed many children & women (14 charges!) and when released from prison was given a job at the Farmington church around single women (including Sasha) should shed some light as to what’s going on there.

For those who aren't familiar with head coverings ; the fact that the murderer took and had Sasha's head covering is *very* significant.

Conservative anti-basptists put a lot of weight into the prescribed and mandated female head coverings. They're a sign of submission to both God and men. They are a symbol of simplicity, modesty and humility.

But more importantly, conservative groups believe that women can only speak to God and be heard when covered. They believe that the covering is protection from evil (and are often specifically taught it will protect them from rape). It's a woman's salvation and the greatest indicator of whether she will go to hell or not.

Gooch took that covering to send a very specific message to someone, IMO and he knew the significance of it.

This wasn’t a random opportunity IMO.
Mark Gooch grew up Mennonite according to church directories and print news articles in the community.

Mark Gooch once listed Grandview TX as an address according to online searches. Grandview Mennonite church is where Sashas father is minister.

Could be coincidence but there are more connections (that can’t be discussed here) that IMO say it’s not. I think it’s entirely possible that someone at Sashas church knew his family, they went to Bible school together or someone at Farmington knew Mark Gooch. Or maybe all three?

IMO the fact that he had her underwear and head covering is very significant. I don’t believe for a moment that he drove from AZ to Farmington to commit an opportunistic crime.

great information. As I said before I live locally, and there have been murmurings that MG has a brother who lives at the Farmington compound. The Sheriff has not verified that yet, but said more would be made available to the public soon.

I’ve followed this case extremely closely and have connections to the Nationwide ultra conservative Mennonite community.

I would start looking at the connections Mark had. He grew up Mennonite in WI. However, he’s in the Air Force which would be a huge “no no” in an ultra conservative group. So he likely didn’t want to be Mennonite. Whether he was ex-communicated or left or never accepted the faith I’m not sure but I am sure that military service wouldn’t have been a positive supported choice or situation.

It’s extremely common in these ultra conservative groups for people to go from one church in the fellowship to another and especially so if they are labeled “troubled” as young people (which in some cases simply means they aren’t adhering to church standards). To seek “church counseling” or remove them from people they aren’t getting along with.

I want to be careful and clear because there’s a wide array of “Mennonite” beliefs and the way they operate is very different.

Nationwide church’s are among the most conservative and strict. I’m not saying all Mennonites are this or that but I’m honestly surprised something like this hasn’t occurred long before now within the ultra conservative churches. However, it could have and the world may never know. They typically do not involve law enforcement until it absolutely cannot be avoided. They typically don’t do autopsies, don’t believe in psychological counseling. The environment is rich for potential abuse.

Just the horror of the RSO at Farmington and knowing the story of how he harmed many children & women (14 charges!) and when released from prison was given a job at the Farmington church around single women (including Sasha) should shed some light as to what’s going on there.

This is all great information. Completely agree with everything. This Farmington group is very conservative and I believe MG was absolutely non-practicing and labeled troubled at some point in his youth. It makes me wonder also, could SK have been labeled troubled as well, and shipped out to NM from TX? I am certainly not victim-shaming here. Just wondering could these 2 have been “star-crossed lovers?” Both originally some TX (speculation) and now by fate only 6 hours away? Just a thought.

I have never heard of the RSO. Is there a link? Or more information on that?

This is all great information. Completely agree with everything. This Farmington group is very conservative and I believe MG was absolutely non-practicing and labeled troubled at some point in his youth. It makes me wonder also, could SK have been labeled troubled as well, and shipped out to NM from TX? I am certainly not victim-shaming here. Just wondering could these 2 have been “star-crossed lovers?” Both originally some TX (speculation) and now by fate only 6 hours away? Just a thought.

I have never heard of the RSO. Is there a link? Or more information on that?

I’m not sure if this link is allowed but know WS will block it if not. His name is listed in this article as some (not myself) suspected him early on. I’m not sure that I can just post his name or record here since he isn’t a suspect. But his RSO registration shows he worked with Sasha.

Sasha Krause missing from Mennonite community FOUND

I’m not sure if this link is allowed but know WS will block it if not. His name is listed in this article as some (not myself) suspected him early on. I’m not sure that I can just post his name or record here since he isn’t a suspect. But his RSO registration shows he worked with Sasha.

Sasha Krause missing from Mennonite community FOUND
Your research is extremely interesting and gives some very evocative insight into the Mormon community. It's extremely, extremely interesting that a registered sex offender from that community was allowed to return to the community but I can't find any mainstream news reports naming him as a person of interest yet so even though it's easy to speculate on a very dramatic connection relating to Gooch's motive we can't sleuth that person. Likely the victims from back then are unnamed anyway. Your general information about the church alone provides very valuable framing information too.

Your research is extremely interesting and gives some very evocative insight into the Mormon community. It's extremely, extremely interesting that a registered sex offender from that community was allowed to return to the community but I can't find any mainstream news reports naming him as a person of interest yet so even though it's easy to speculate on a very dramatic connection relating to Gooch's motive we can't sleuth that person. Likely the victims from back then are unnamed anyway. Your general information about the church alone provides very valuable framing information too.

Sasha was from the Mennonite community, not the Mormon community.

Here are some logistical questions I have that are bothering me:
1. MG is referred to as an "airman." Can any military peeps give us some background on that? Is everyone in the Air Force referred to as an "Airman?"
2. The gun - Again, asking for some military peeps input on this. Is it possible that MG was issued a gun as part of his equipment or is that unlikely? Second part of my question - are active military allowed to have their own personal gun registered in their name? The reason I ask this is because if it was an "military issued" gun the FBI would likely be able to trace (if shell casings or other gun debris found). Has the gun been found? Was it part of the search warrant?
3. Search Warrant - It is my understanding that the search warrant was served on Luke Air Force Base or was it served to MG residence on Luke Air Force Base? What is the exact time and date the search warrant was issued? What was the exact date and time MG was arrested? Was he arrested at his residence or at Luke? How much time elapsed between the search warrant and his arrest? Has anyone on this thread started a timeline? My apologies if this has already been discussed.
4. SO MANY of the MSM printed news articles have the WRONG DATES!!!! How could this happen? They were asking the public for suspicious sightings on February 17,18, meanwhile the crime took place on January 17,18. What a major error.
5. Obituary - SK obit states Date of Death as January 18th. Assuming the abduction happened around roughly 8:00pm on January 18th, does that mean that they know for certain her date of death or is that customary in a missing person case to list the date of death as the date the individual went missing?
6. Her roommates - they did not notice her missing or report her missing until the middle of the night? That does not seem right?
7. Forest Road 545 in Flagstaff - I am somewhat familiar with this area. I am interested in hearing from campers...Is this Forest Road blocked from entry after sunset? Is there a kiosk or guard gate along this Forest Road? Did he actually enter Sunset Crater Park? Wouldn't he need to buy a permit to access the area? If MG started driving back to Flagstaff after the 8:00pm abduction in New Mexico, it would be the middle of the night before he arrived in Flagstaff. He would have to be very familiar with these roads to navigate his way around. Also, something to keep in mind - the National Parks waived entrance fees on January 20 in honor of MLK day. Is it possible he did not go to this location until January 20th ? Just thinking out loud.
8. Police were asking the public if they saw anything suspicious around "Four Corners" I wonder if he (or they) were sighted around Four Corners. I can tell you....I drive that route a lot and there is nothing in the area. It is possible he pulled into the road leading to Four Corners but there is a guard gate there and you need to pay a fee. The drive from San Juan County to Coconino County is desolate (and in many areas breathtaking). There are many dirt turn-offs and roads to lead to who knows where. Why did he pick Sunset Crater?
Moderator - please let me know if I need to provide sources for any of this info.

Last edited:
Here are some logistical questions I have that are bothering me:
1. MG is referred to as an "airman." His Linkedn profile states that he is a Program Manager. Can any military peeps give us some background on that? Was he in training to be a pilot or was his job more in the strategic planning aspect? Is everyone in the Air Force referred to as an "Airman?" Not sure why that bothers me. I just feel like MSM is putting their own spin on it.
2. The gun - Again, asking for some military peeps input on this. Is it possible that MG was issued a gun as part of his equipment or is that unlikely? Second part of my question - are active military allowed to have their own personal gun registered in their name? The reason I ask this is because if it was an "military issued" gun the FBI would likely be able to trace (if shell casings or other gun debris found). Has the gun been found? Was it part of the search warrant?
3. Search Warrant - It is my understanding that the search warrant was served on Luke Air Force Base or was it served to MG residence on Luke Air Force Base? What is the exact time and date the search warrant was issued? What was the exact date and time MG was arrested? Was he arrested at his residence or at Luke? How much time elapsed between the search warrant and his arrest? Has anyone on this thread started a timeline? My apologies if this has already been discussed.
4. SO MANY of the MSM printed news articles have the WRONG DATES!!!! How could this happen? They were asking the public for suspicious sightings on February 17,18, meanwhile the crime took place on January 17,18. What a major error.
5. Obituary - SK obit states Date of Death as January 18th. Assuming the abduction happened around roughly 8:00pm on January 18th, does that mean that they know for certain her date of death or is that customary in a missing person case to list the date of death as the date the individual went missing?
6. Her roommates - they did not notice her missing or report her missing until the middle of the night? That does not seem right?
7. Forest Road 545 in Flagstaff - I am somewhat familiar with this area. I am interested in hearing from campers...Is this Forest Road blocked from entry after sunset? Is there a kiosk or guard gate along this Forest Road? Did he actually enter Sunset Crater Park? Wouldn't he need to buy a permit to access the area? If MG started driving back to Flagstaff after the 8:00pm abduction in New Mexico, it would be the middle of the night before he arrived in Flagstaff. He would have to be very familiar with these roads to navigate his way around. Also, something to keep in mind - the National Parks waived entrance fees on January 20 in honor of MLK day. Is it possible he did not go to this location until January 20th ? Just thinking out loud.
8. Police were asking the public if they saw anything suspicious around "Four Corners" I wonder if he (or they) were sighted around Four Corners. I can tell you....I drive that route a lot and there is nothing in the area. It is possible he pulled into the road leading to Four Corners but there is a guard gate there and you need to pay a fee. The drive from San Juan County to Coconino County is desolate (and in many areas breathtaking). There are many dirt turn-offs and roads to lead to who knows where. Why did he pick Sunset Crater?
Moderator - please let me know if I need to provide sources for any of this info.
There are two Mark Gooches in the air force. The LinkedIn profile says 12 years experience. Unlikely for a guy in his early 20s. It's unlikely an Airman serving on base would be issued a service weapon. Search warrants are usually not public record until cases come to trial as it could compromise the investigation. The Farmington sheriff accidentally posted February instead of January in a Facebook post asking for public help in the investigation and that mistake filtered down through the media. The death date was likely approximated by the medical examiner and accepted by her (church?) family in writing the obituary. The official death certificate will likely not have a precise date of death. It seems that the abduction happened fairly late in the evening and her community likely attempted to handle it internally for a certain amount of time. All my opinion only.

I wasn’t speculating on any connection to him. Just for clarity. I also don’t think that man (RSO) is involved and suspect LE was quick to clear him due to his status and access to Sasha.

It does however show that there is a lack awareness and the seriousness of the crimes he committed which is concerning IMO.

Public Access Case Lookup

You have to search his name at that link but charges are listed there. Including a sex related charge. Expected but always sucks to have it confirmed.
Looks like they have a lump felony kidnapping charge when the intent/result is death, injury, sexual assault and/or assisting in a felony. Him keeping her underwear suggests pretty strongly there was a sexual component though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back