Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
If by "they" you mean Trump, then yes.
"But then Trump even went further, connecting the household bleaching agents in most surface disinfectants to a possible internal treatment for humans, which would be toxic and possibly fatal. “Then I see the disinfectant, one minute. Is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it’d be interesting to check that so that you’ll have to use medical doctors with. But it sounds interesting to me. So we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, where it goes in one minute. That’s pretty powerful.”"
Trump Suggests Injecting Disinfectant to Kill Coronavirus

I'm truly considering a vacation from all media. While I think I'm of service to my students by knowing what's going on publicly, I'm not sure I can keep this up. It's very stressful to read that.

Is the goal here to bring it to 10% of us die? It's true that would solve some social problems. Spend Social Security on something else. Don't have to refit nursing homes. Don't have to piss off the military by downsizing it. More for everyone else, right?

If this is true why does every hospital in NYC have the temperature set to 80 degrees Fahrenheit? That’s the temperature that stops the virus from spreading so easily.
Why this doesn’t get more coverage I have no idea except the fake news media is trying to scare people.

I take every article with a grain of salt. I have no idea what’s true or not. I let you guys figure that out. :D

ETA: I think the bottom line is that there are infinite studies going on in real time. Everybody is learning as we speak, or trying to learn.

Last edited:
I know. UV doesn't kill the virus, malaria drugs don't cure the virus, and everyone should not return to work. However, the messaging is opposite.

Otto, you are so dear to me. You probably have no idea. Keep that border closed.

The interference of non-experts in the managing of this is going to make the entire course much more deadly.

<modsnip: unnecessary>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm truly considering a vacation from all media. While I think I'm of service to my students by knowing what's going on publicly, I'm not sure I can keep this up. It's very stressful to read that.

Is the goal here to bring it to 10% of us die? It's true that would solve some social problems. Spend Social Security on something else. Don't have to refit nursing homes. Don't have to piss off the military by downsizing it. More for everyone else, right?
You aren't just of service to your students. We rely on you to "translate" some of the science stuff for us. At least I do.

Temperatures used to be lower in hospitals. Bacteria slow down when it's cool.

Since we know that CV19 doesn't like heat, they raise the temperatures. However, no heating system is designed to produce 140F which many studies show will kill or very much reduce the number of virion outside of hosts.

So 70F would be better than 60F and 80F would be better than 70F. But humans begin to have bacterial problems instead. And staff find it very unpleasant, need more water breaks, have to watch electrolytes at 88-90F.

If you think your roommate is interacting with CV people, put the thermostat as high it will go and see how that works (your roommate will probably go ballistic - by which I mean, we're seeing people get mad and spit at each other over such issues).

Social Security and Medicare funds were already at risk. The virus crisis will deplete them faster

Even if employment rebounds by the end of this year and payroll taxes return to near-normal levels, the shock from the pandemic shutdown could accelerate the depletion of the Social Security trust fund by about six months, officials told reporters.

If a recession extends into next year, it could mean that a depletion would come a full year earlier. The consequences may be worse for the Medicare program, which in this report is estimated to deplete its reserves in 2026.

Social Security and Medicare funds were already at risk. The virus crisis will deplete them faster

So, here’s a question for you guys, so why was the first known case of SARS Nov. 18 and the first known case of Covid Nov. 17? Anything about this time of year, November specifically, as related to zoonotic and other environmental factors, that may play a role in the emergence of this disease around this time? Is it just a coincidence?

ETA: I’m curious now what time of year MERS poked its head.

You aren't just of service to your students. We rely on you to "translate" some of the science stuff for us. At least I do.

Thank you so much. Today has been frustrating, as I've seen 3 people ask a variant of "If 95% of us don't die, is it really so bad?"

That's the hardest part for me. I usually am involved with health education about much less deadly diseases. We make a big deal out of suicide prevention or treating schizophrenia or bipolar (those are my fields of study). Yet only 1% of people get schizophrenia. It's a terrible disease, and so is CoVId. Getting CoVid means lifelong consequences/ill health for people, much like atypical dysenteries and..schizophrenia. Bipolar strikes slightly less than 3%, but is associated with higher mortality and shorter lifespans than the rest of us.

I care about all these people. I can't believe that anyone would say "I'm fine with 5% of the world's population dying," (let's just do nothing).

I'll go for a walk and try to hang in here.

Otto, you are so dear to me. You probably have no idea. Keep that border closed.

The interference of non-experts in the managing of this is going to make the entire course much more deadly.

<modsnip: unnecessary>

Things are changing in Canada. The province of Saskatchewan was fortunate to shut things down early and minimize transmission. Because of their success, they are planning to open things up starting May 4, with eye doctor, dentist and doctor offices opening first. In Alberta, the Calgary Stampede in July has been cancelled for the first time since 1923. We have a mismatch happening in Canada where side-by-side provinces are now making very different decisions.

All eyes will be on Saskatchewan as it unrolls the 5 phase plan to open up the economy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/province-pandemic-reopen-plan-1.5542461

Last edited by a moderator:
So, here’s a question for you guys, so why was the first known case of SARS Nov. 18 and the first known case of Covid Nov. 17? Anything about this time of year, November specifically, as related to zoonotic and other environmental factors, that may play a role in the emergence of this disease around this time? Is it just a coincidence?

ETA: I’m curious now what time of year MERS pokes its head.

I asked that question on a medical board where I'm a member (they accepted me because I could prove I have a background in medical anthropology - I don't ask many questions, that was my one question).

Apparently, coronaviruses are never completely seasonal, but may prefer warm and humid, followed by warm and dry, with them dislike cold and dry.

People stay inside more in cool/cold weather. Sports seasons start and people stay inside on weekends to watch, in the fall. Holiday celebrations start in many nations. Religious holidays, etc. School is in session (unlike summer).

The bottom line from scientists and doctors on that forum is that we don't know all the variables, but those are the ones they think are in play.

Other factors seem to be holiday shopping, everyone touching escalators, employees absent due to the flu (so less cleaning), more people in elevators, everyone trying to pack in essential tasks between Nov 1 and Dec 15, resulting in higher viral transmission.

In some parts of the world, this is the time when animals are brought into barns (or even into houses). While few transmit serious viruses to humans, some of their viral transmission does lower immunity temporarily.

I know many of you can probably think of more reasons - but that's what I got so far.

Things are changing in Canada. The province of Saskatchewan was fortunate to shut things down early and minimize transmission. Because of their success, they are planning to open things up starting May 4, with eye doctor, dentist and doctor offices opening first. In Alberta, the Calgary Stampede in July has been cancelled for the first time since 1923. We have a mismatch happening in Canada where side-by-side provinces are now making very different decisions.

All eyes will be on Saskatchewan as it unrolls the 5 phase plan to open up the economy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/province-pandemic-reopen-plan-1.5542461

That sounds very sensible, really. Better than opening up sports events in indoor venues. Like basketball.

I know. UV doesn't kill the virus, malaria drugs don't cure the virus, and everyone should not return to work. However, the messaging is opposite.
Special UV lights are being used to disinfect surfaces. The article below shows how the technology is being used to disinfect the interior of a bus in China. Nobody has said the malaria drugs "cure" the virus, have they?
JMO

Can you kill coronavirus with UV light?

Toasters repurposed for PPE in fight against COVID-19

Ultraviolet LEDs prove effective in eliminating coronavirus from surfaces and, potentially, air and water

1225 Americans died of CoVid in the last 48 hours. We are now on the plateau. We get a score of C- minus in my opinion, for quarantining and social distancing. We get a score of D- on contact tracing. We're at a D+ in terms of testing. As to nationwide social messaging, either an F+ or a D-.

So, I think it's going to stay at 1000 a day unless warmer weather really does help. Since most people have some immunity to various flus and NO IMMUNITY FOR COVID19, we can't expect this to go like flu season. At all.

1000-1100 per day for a month is 30,000 more deaths. 15,000 will likely be 75 and over. 5000 will be 60-74.

10,000 will be 20-59, with most of those in essential occupations.

My inner flag is at half staff permanently.

If it's really going to be 1200 people per day, that's 36,000 dead by May 23. Reopening will probably cancel out May's weather benefits (if any) so June may be the same. IMHE is revising its estimates, because it was too hopeful about the quarantine thing.

If it's another 20,000 from May 23-June 23, that'll be about 50,000 in addition to the 47,000 known dead already (and many experts say it's more like 60,000 already).

15,498 people died of homicide (any type) in 2018.

You can see that our LE had already plateaued and was declining in 2017 (it's declined a tiny bit further since then, with 2019 being statistically the same as 2018 and almost the same as 2017):

How does U.S. life expectancy compare to other countries? - Peterson-Kaiser Health System Tracker

We won't know the increased cancer and cardiac deaths until a year from now, but the inability of people to get needed surgeries that are not strictly emergencies (from accidents) will take its toll.

The mental health surge is still yet to be seen. I predict homicide and suicide will go up for 2020. But car accidents will be down a little, so maybe a wash? I just know that mental health clinics are beyond capacity, it's impossible to get an appointment and face-to-face interactions have a known and quantifiable benefit for the depressed, anxious and for many other mental health issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong