Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breathing in preparations for asthma sufferers is normal so it is not so ridiculous. Nebulisers producing steam. Putting a towel over your head above a bowl of hot water with mint, eucalyptus or tee tree oil. My father had goose grease spread on his chest for his childhood bronchitis.

Goose grease in the ear for ear aches, lol.

Yes! Many more needles in the haystack... they all better get a fair share of funding to test, manufacture and use...........

I really love this guy..There are so many important drugs that are in trials, and he provides his own speculative judgment, and the ones that he think have the best chance/merit of working better for covid patients. Each time I watch him..a little bit more sinks in.

I am not yet convinced that it would have been 'better' to totally shut down sooner. I do think there is still a 'herd' immunity that is a necessary factor at some point. We do need a certain amount of the population to have been exposed and to begin building up their antibodies. Maybe I understand it wrong, but I thought that was a necessity at some point.

If we had shut down the nation completely, when there had only been 11 deaths, then what? How long before we begin to slowly re-open, with an entirely unexposed, virgin population? There would still have been deaths at some point. JMO

It's very tricky as it's a brand new virus in humans. I would say that closing down sooner, and then reopening would have the same considerations that we are faced with now...that we need testing, contact tracing, and isolation/quarantine of the infected and exposed, and we don't want to overwhelm the healthcare systems. If you had all those things in place earlier on, and you had all transport into a country zeroed, then you might have a chance of nipping community spread in the bud and preventing what has happened in many countries, like the UK, Italy, USA, etc.

Doing it earlier would have meant less expenditure in the health services for all those ventilators and PPE and staff overtime, etc as the peak would have been far smaller. And you'd have less 'mopping up' of cases to do during and after lockdown.

So I would say, yes it could and would have saved lives and could have cost less money to governments....though ultimately how much the expenditure on health systems is compared to the cost to individuals and businesses probably doesn't make the financial savings all that great.

And if you can get the cases really, really, low, and get straight into those community outbreaks when they do occur, then you need less social distancing costs for the longer term, as long as you keep up with the same measures, and adapt them as new things come out, like the fast-result tests and contact tracing apps.

I feel, in response to my own question, that fewer people are looking at all of this in terms of epidemiological models and more in terms of the things they're hearing in government pressers and what they're reading in the media, where I think it can sometimes seem conflicting. It wasn't that long ago that the UK government were saying that football matches didn't have to be cancelled as there was a low chance of spreading/contracting the virus in an outdoor setting like that....fast forward a few weeks and a hundred people in a green space with 2 metres between individuals and families are castigated like they are serial killers.

So there are some things where I'm not surprised there's confusion. There are other things that I really want to understand how different people are thinking and what's leading to those thoughts and questions that they have. But sometimes it's hard to understand those things when I can only hear the 'noise' of people saying "the lockdown has been too much", or "I don't know if the lockdown has had much effect or really been necessary?" And that's what really led to my question in response to Firebird's post.

We have book exchanges in our neighborhood - places on corners or in parks where people can leave/take books. Almost every residential building has something like that too, usually in the laundry room. I've noticed a lively turnover of books lately. I have some I can take down....will do that today, to add a fresh mix to the collection.

I suppose there is concern about germ spread. I haven't picked up any books not because of the virus but because I have enough (way more than enough) already in my to-read pile. I wonder if people are wiping the books down? Could leave them out in the sunshine - that is something I've done when an old book gets a musty smell.

jmo
Noticed today all the benches around my town have red and white tape all across them so nobody can use them now. Banks and post offices closing at 1 and 2 p.m. daily. Really depressing. Usually booming this time of year with holidaymakers and shoppers. Weather has been stunning for virtually the whole of the lockdown. Virtually no April showers.

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
I received this letter from a farmer in northeast Kansas. His wife is ill and he is aging. He sent me 1 of 5 N95 masks he has from farming to pass on to a doctor or nurse in New York. This is humanity at its best. I share his letter as inspiration.
EWYkTtYXQAI4L9Y.jpg

12:57 PM - 24 Apr 2020

t4515.gif

Ty PM.
That was lovely to read.

So you think he meant by 'a disinfectant', he was talking about injecting bleach? He couldn't have meant a 'disinfectant' that was able to be injected in medicine form? Or taken by IV?

To me it sounded more like brain storming, where someone speaks theoretically, not literally. JMO

From what I could see, the train of thought came from surface disinfection effectiveness. As bleach can be used as a surface disinfectant....

Yes, I believe he was talking literally about those substances after seeing how effective they were on the chart that was displayed on the stage/screen.

No, I don't think he was suggesting people at home try injecting with Lysol to cure themselves of the virus. I do think he thought it might be possible to irrigate the lungs with bleach and kill the virus that way to cure the disease in the patient, and he suggested that this be tested in medical studies.

At the end of the day it's been said and done, and all you can do is tell people who might not realise the damage that it do that they should not rinse their mouth or nose with Dettol or similar, that they should not make a steam inhalation for it to attempt to kill the virus in their lungs, or anything like that.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Isn't that what x ray machines do? Irradiate the insides of us. It is not so ridiculous. Aren't lasers used to break up kidney and gall stones? And what about keyhole micro surgery and inserting stints into arteries ? Thinking about this, even asthma drugs get inhaled directly into the lungs so if an effective drug or product against the virus in the lungs could be inhaled it isn't so preposterous. I mean look at us ex smokers who have inhaled goodness knows what over the years. Tar, Nicotine, etc. He has got the whole world talking and thinking about it. Yes it was a daft comment of course.

Noticed today all the benches around my town have red and white tape all across them so nobody can use them now. Banks and post offices closing at 1 and 2 p.m. daily. Really depressing. Usually booming this time of year with holidaymakers and shoppers. Weather has been stunning for virtually the whole of the lockdown. Virtually no April showers.
I hear ya. I get depressed walking around the neighborhood and seeing so many closed businesses. Will they be back? I live in a lively, active neighborhood and it's depressing that streets and sidewalks are empty.

We have had April showers (including today!) and the spring blooms are the prettiest I remember in years, maybe just because I'm paying more attention to them. I think the cherry trees in the neighborhood have saved many of us during these gloomy days - they are bright and cheerful.

I get down and I worry. I feel guilty because compared to others who are suffering, I am fine. I feel pained when I see political divide, truly pained.

These are hard times.

jmo

I hear ya. I get depressed walking around the neighborhood and seeing so many closed businesses. Will they be back? I live in a lively, active neighborhood and it's depressing that streets and sidewalks are empty.

We have had April showers (including today!) and the spring blooms are the prettiest I remember in years, maybe just because I'm paying more attention to them. I think the cherry trees in the neighborhood have saved many of us during these gloomy days - they are bright and cheerful.

I get down and I worry. I feel guilty because compared to others who are suffering, I am fine. I feel pained when I see political divide, truly pained.

These are hard times.

jmo
Agree the primroses, wild garlic, snowdrops and bluebells seem to be lasting that much longer this year. Hedgerows are now getting the campion, daisies and the honeysuckle too. Hope the down curve continues.

He and his wife plan for 7 billion people to take his upcoming vaccine. Nice timing I suppose.

Gates Foundation calls for global cooperation on vaccine for 7 billion people

It's not 'his' vaccine. There are dozens of companies in countries around the globe that are working on vaccines.

The only point he seems to have been making there is that if every single person had to be vaccinated (obviously some individuals can't tolerate vaccines so they wouldn't take it) that we would need a total of 7 billion vaccine doses to cover every person on the planet and totally nix this virus so that it doesn't come back again next year, and we don't have to ban people from France or Australia from visiting our country as they still have cases while we vaccinated our entire population and zeroed cases where we live.

When vaccination does become available, there won't be enough doses of any one vaccine to vaccinate the entire global population. That raises a lot of questions. And that's what he's talking about.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

There is killing the virus and killing the symptoms of the virus. At present it is the symptoms they are trying to kill, i.e what the body does in response to the virus is what is actually killing people, as I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member