CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the impression from articles that he had 'tied up' his gf (after or before beating her) and set his house on fire, and that she had gotten away before the house was ablaze and hid in the woods. I'm not sure that GW even knew that his gf had escaped to safety before he died? He may have thought she perished in the fire?

Is your opinion that if Mr. X (insert any name here) had been walking a dog instead of just walking alone, he would've been spared?
It's really more a theory of what I think may have been going on, or part of what was motivating him. I'm not willing to say he would have left Mr. X unharmed, but I think that is a possibility.

Thank you for the sources, trying to piece together this in my own mind. One further question, he had a house at 200 Portapique Beach Road and also at 136 Orchard Beach. Which was his residence? I have seen sources suggest either.
The more I see the map it looks like he just went door to door looking for his g/f and killed anyone in his way.

When you consider the g/f got away, the wounded Portapique man, the couple who did not answer their door the next morning, and the RCMP officer who was wounded, it could easily have been 5 more. Who knows what would have happened if the stolen car had a full tank of gas as he headed back to Halifax.

I haven’t noticed LE provide specific details but it appears GW was only a part-time resident of Portapique and the community is described as a quasi-summer village, with population of about 100, increasing to 250 in the summer suggesting numerous vacant properties during the winter months. Perhaps GW rented out his properties in the summer to tourists. There is also a residence and garage attached to the Dartmouth Denture business, where the 3rd decommissioned police car was parked. This may have been considered his primary residence but I don’t know that for sure.

“Some Portapique residents who spoke with the the Canadian Press said they knew Wortman in passing as a part-time resident who owned properties locally.”
Who was Gabriel Wortman, the denturist behind the Nova Scotia mass shooting?

Thank you for the "food for thought" deugirtni, I had not even considered that he believed she was still in the house when it was burnt. He may well have thought she was going to die there and his shootings therefore might have been to remove any witnesses to their altercation earlier that night.
As in so many circumstances the RCMP press conference answered a lot, but created more questions too. I am not intentionally displaying "morbid curiosity", but rather, trying to arrange all these "facts" so I can understand. Sadly, no matter how much I understand, it cannot change what happened.

It's really more a theory of what I think may have been going on, or part of what was motivating him. I'm not willing to say he would have left Mr. X unharmed, but I think that is a possibility.

It becomes problematic when attempting to box-in the perpetrator’s motivation when, in order to further a theory and minimize exceptions it leans toward ie “if so-and-so wouldn’t have done this or that”. I know it’s not your intent but you might notice how this insinuates a type of victim blaming...”if they wouldn’t have done this or that they’d still be alive”. I assure you the loved ones of every single victim are going through 100s of “if only’s” at this time without requiring any added input from strangers on the internet but this is just my opinion.

Mods have already kindly requested once that we move along from this topic of discussion so I think we are obliged to do so. Family members of the victims may also be reading here as well and so we must be careful of making hurtful insinuations during this time of deep sorrow as well, although I know that’s not your intention. :)

Speaking of family and sensitivity....I have to admit the fiddle tribute to Emily was among the most moving things I've ever witnessed. I love fiddle music to begin with so perhaps I am biased, but when a famous fiddler plays "second fiddle" to someone still learning it was a moving performance. It truly was a dignified tribute.

I read that the replica vehicle had one extra digit (not that anyone in this situation would be looking at the number of digits?).
Not from what I can see of the real RCMP car it has 2 #s then a letter then 2#s again. The fake RCMP car's # was 28B11 same sequence of #'s letter #s order JMO Seen some other RCMP cars on the news to and they only have a # then a letter then a #. Including a pic...

Attachments

• RCMPcara.jpg
    RCMPcara.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 12
Thank you for the sources, trying to piece together this in my own mind. One further question, he had a house at 200 Portapique Beach Road and also at 136 Orchard Beach. Which was his residence? I have seen sources suggest either.
The more I see the map it looks like he just went door to door looking for his g/f and killed anyone in his way.

When you consider the g/f got away, the wounded Portapique man, the couple who did not answer their door the next morning, and the RCMP officer who was wounded, it could easily have been 5 more. Who knows what would have happened if the stolen car had a full tank of gas as he headed back to Halifax.

Based upon google earth and google maps and Nova Scotia civil address finder it appears that the property at 136 Orchard beach Dr. was the location of his large workshop. Although it is possible that there could be living quarters inside that building as well JMO

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Just to clarify: In Canada currently an Amber Alert is issued in the same manner as any other emergency alert. Interrupting television, radio and loud cell phone alarms. It’s a fairly new service here. Tornadoes usually happen in southwestern Ontario I think and I’m not sure how they notify those people.

I'm in Southwestern Ontario and I rely on twitter for weather events happening in the moment. It's the quickest for updates, which come from local fire/police/media outlets, and local citizens.

Or, he maybe left her alive while he went out and murdered her friends. Or, perhaps she escaped after he beat her, and he went to the homes of people where he thought she might have hidden looking for her, and those are the places were people were killed and there homes burned. The others, such as Lisa McCully and the brother, were people who came out of their homes when they saw houses burning and so on.

Did he beat her, tie her up, and then set their house on fire, expecting her to burn to death? She apparently escaped into the woods.

Yes any of those possibilities. She’s very fortunate he didn’t simply execute her like all the others and she’ll be able to provide additional background information to police about this cold-blooded killer which they wouldn’t have been able to obtain otherwise. However I suspect she’ll have a long road of mental health recovery ahead as I doubt he instantly turned into a monster overnight.

What if he purposely left her alive to suffer a torturous death in the fire, as punishment for whatever he thought she did to deserve it? It'll be a lifelong recovery for her.

Posts removed and bumping my earlier post for those who may have missed it:

Hey everyone,

Please stop the bickering over a theory of misogyny and move on from that discussion. While it is a member's theory, it is not based on known fact so there is no point in bickering over the unknown.

Thanks.

I'm in Southwestern Ontario and I rely on twitter for weather events happening in the moment. It's the quickest for updates, which come from local fire/police/media outlets, and local citizens.

Yah I’m also at our cabin <modsnip> near Espanola during much of the summer months but unfortunately our service is pretty much limited to texts. And limited data. Most of our information comes from the news and or texting.

Last edited by a moderator:

People driving, people working, people without data or wifi, or without Twitter, seniors and the list goes on and on are unable to check Twitter. I don’t think anyone is checking it multiple time’s a day. We had emergency broadcasting systems on tvs and radio for decades that could have also been used during Canada’s largest mass shooting.

People driving, people working, people without data or wifi, or without Twitter, seniors and the list goes on and on are unable to check Twitter. I don’t think anyone is checking it multiple time’s a day. We had emergency broadcasting systems on tvs and radio for decades that could have also been used during Canada’s largest mass shooting.

Aye, since I work from home, I don't even have a cell, so I don't get any of those alerts. They do need to come up with a system that can cover all these options.

Speaking of family and sensitivity....I have to admit the fiddle tribute to Emily was among the most moving things I've ever witnessed. I love fiddle music to begin with so perhaps I am biased, but when a famous fiddler plays "second fiddle" to someone still learning it was a moving performance. It truly was a dignified tribute.

I’ve noticed several tributes played to the song “Farewell to Nova Scotia”. Although I’ve very familiar with the song, I’ve never heard it played in a such a mournful, sad and somber way. This was played by church bells, very moving..

'We're here for you and we love you': Church bells ring out 'Farewell to Nova Scotia' in Banff

Based upon google earth and google maps and Nova Scotia civil address finder it appears that the property at 136 Orchard beach Dr. was the location of his large workshop. Although it is possible that there could be living quarters inside that building as well JMO

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Did we know he owned 3 properties at Portapique, I’ve lost track of what I remember and what I’ve forgot.

Many Nova Scotia shooting victims were killer's neighbours, records show

upload_2020-4-27_19-11-19.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members