Found Deceased IL - Semaj Crosby, 16 mos, Joliet Township, 25 April 2017

Staffing and budget issues still haunt DCFS, union officials say

Mar 8, 2019

"SPRINGFIELD — Labor officials who represent workers in the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services say staff shortages in that agency have been making it difficult for case workers to keep up with a large volume of reports about abuse and neglect.

But they also say the situation has been getting better in recent months, and they hope state lawmakers will provide additional funding in next year’s budget to address the problem further.

“This is a very long-running problem,” said Anders Lindall, a spokesman for the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Council 31, which represents DCFS workers....

...the issue of staffing in the state’s child welfare agency has a much longer history, dating back to the 1980s, when lawyers with the American Civil Liberties Union filed a class action lawsuit against Illinois over staffing issues. They argued understaffing problems were forcing social workers to handle unmanageable caseloads, in turn endangering the welfare of children.

That lawsuit led to a settlement in 1991, known as the “B.H.” consent decree that requires DCFS to maintain adequate staffing levels — enough for each worker to handle roughly 12-13 new cases per month, or about 153 per year.

News reports about Semaj Crosby’s death, however, revealed that DCFS under then-Gov. Bruce Rauner’s administration was not adhering to the B.H. consent decree requirements. ACLU attorneys went back to federal court to force the Republican governor’s administration to comply...."

Staffing and budget issues still haunt DCFS, union officials say

Sadly, I think those same issues of budget problems, too many cases, not enuff staff, etc., are seen in many counties and states. It hurts my heart to think about this part of our society -- people recognize this problem, but the budgets are still not enuff, not enuff. And in some circumstances, the abuse at home just somehow does not get reported until it's too late.

Boy, 5, found covered in bruises in same apartment 2-year-old died from child abuse (with clip)

MARCH 20, 2019

"CHICAGO — After a 2-year-old boy died at a Washington Park apartment on Monday, another child was found in the same apartment covered in bruises.

The Chicago Tribune said the 5-year-old boy was taken to Comer Children's Hospital, where his condition was stabilized.

Charges are still pending for two people taken into custody Tuesday in connection to the death of 2-year-old Ja'hir Gibbons. Ja’hir died Monday evening in the 6000 block of South Prairie Avenue in the Washington Park neighborhood. The medical examiner’s office said he died of multiple injuries stemming from child abuse and deemed his death a homicide....

His death is once again shinning the spotlight on the Department of Child and Family Services and the challenges it faces when it comes to protecting children under its care. Neighbors said DCFS was at the building Saturday to investigate a complaint of abuse....

“This problem of children dying when DCFS has involvement in the home has really skyrocketed in the last three or four years,” Charles Golbert, acting Cook County Public Guardian, said.

Golbert is the acting cook county public guardian. He pointed out DCFS’s own inspector general found between July of 2017 and June of last year there were 98 deaths of children in DCFS care. Eighteen were homicides, 26 were undetermined. Of the 98 deaths, 34 were under the age of three. Among them was 17-month-old Semaj Crosby, the Joliet Township toddler who was found dead under a couch in an overcrowded, filthy, insect-infested home...."

Boy, 5, found covered in bruises in same apartment 2-year-old died from child abuse

The headline caught me for a second. I thought the child died in the same apartment that Semaj died in - which couldn't be since it was a house and it burned down the day after she was found.

So I guess nothing has changed at DCFS. What a surprise... not.

I think that this was a accidental death. The baby was hiding under the couch during a game of hide n seek.

They are quick to CYA, if they could charge and get a conviction I really believe that they would have.

RIP Semaj

I think that this was a accidental death. The baby was hiding under the couch during a game of hide n seek.

They are quick to CYA, if they could charge and get a conviction I really believe that they would have.

RIP Semaj

Per this article:

DCFS' failure to protect children is a travesty

Semaj Crosby, a 17-month old toddler, was the subject of a massive search before her body was discovered under a legless couch in a Joliet Township home in 2017.

Considering it is a legless couch I can't see Semaj picking up a part of that couch to hide under....

No, I believe some one - adult - put her there after an "accident". :( "who" is a good question....

Per this article:

DCFS' failure to protect children is a travesty

Semaj Crosby, a 17-month old toddler, was the subject of a massive search before her body was discovered under a legless couch in a Joliet Township home in 2017.

Considering it is a legless couch I can't see Semaj picking up a part of that couch to hide under....

No, I believe some one - adult - put her there after an "accident". :( "who" is a good question....
She could have climbed in to the couch. I don't know I just feel like if there were a case, especially with the country wide attention and the media outcry, someone would have been charged, if not every adult.

She could have climbed in to the couch. I don't know I just feel like if there were a case, especially with the country wide attention and the media outcry, someone would have been charged, if not every adult.
The reason little Semaj's manner of death was declared to be homicide is because the couch had a clearance of a couple of inches, too small for a toddler to crawl under. Unless Semaj somehow lifted the couch it's highly unlikely she crawled under it.

She wasn't found in the couch, she was found under it which rules out her crawling into it under the cushions for example. There was no evidence that she burrowed into it from above.

IMO the reason charges haven't been filed is because of a lack of an eyewitness combined with too many possible suspects. LE feels at least one of the persons of interest is responsible but the DA can't charge them all and hope one sticks. They need more information and probable cause to bring charges.

Persons of Interest:

Semaj's mother
Semaj's paternal grandmother
Semaj's aunt
A family friend
An unnamed minor

If I had to make a bet I'd say the minor is directly involved and the others are covering it up. I believe we will see charges - it may take some time, especially since the crime scene burned to the ground via arson.

I also believe LE is tracking the case, which is why I continue to monitor Semaj's case. There are other cases, like Jesse Wilson, where LE has strong suspicions but not enough proof - yet. As we've seen elsewhere, charges can come at any time.

But my main point is that I don't believe Semaj, at 16 months, was physically able to lift the couch but I do believe it's possible another child put her there - not to kill her but rather as a prank or to help her hide in a game - and the adults are protecting them. All MOO.

One year ago Semaj Crosby's death sparked outcry, prompted change — but remains unsolved

Who killed Semaj Crosby? Still no answers two years after toddler’s death

04/25/2019

"The investigation into the death of Semaj Crosby is older than the child ever lived to be....

In the two years since her death, there have been no arrests. However, investigators in Will County have repeatedly said the toddler’s mother, Sheri Gordon, and other relatives — who were living in the 864-square-foot home in violation of Gordon’s public housing voucher — are considered suspects....

“This isn’t the case of the boogeyman,” said Dan Jungles, deputy chief of the Will County Sheriff’s Office. “This isn’t the case of a stranger. This is the case of someone who was supposed to love this child that is ultimately responsible for her death.”

The home burned down less than two weeks after Semaj was found, and authorities believe the fire was set intentionally...."

Who killed Semaj Crosby? Still no answers two years after toddler's death

semaj-crosby-05-e1556230199459.jpg

Waiting for Justice: New details in the Semaj Crosby murder case

CHICAGO (WLS) -- The I-Team goes inside the investigation of an unsolved tragedy. It has been two years and there is still no justice for Semaj Crosby who was found dead inside her south suburban home in the early hours of April 27, 2017. Will County Sheriff's detectives are pleading with the public to come forward with information.
[.....]
According to Dan Jungles, Will County Sheriff Deputy Chief of Investigations, the people of interest are Sheri Gordon, Semaj's mother; Darlene Crosby, Semaj's paternal grandmother; Lakerisha Crosby, Semaj's aunt; Tamika Sims, who is a family friend; and a minor who has not been named.

Sema'j Crosby Person Of Interest Jailed On Gun Charges

JOLIET, IL — A 39-year-old Joliet woman who police say has refused to cooperate with a homicide investigation has been arrested on unrelated felony gun charges. Tamika Robinson-Sims faces two counts of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and one charge of possessing a gun without a valid Firearm Owners Identification (FOID), court files show. Police have called her a "person of interest" in the 2017 death of 18-month-old Sema'j Crosby.

Sema'j Crosby Person Of Interest Jailed On Gun Charges

JOLIET, IL — A 39-year-old Joliet woman who police say has refused to cooperate with a homicide investigation has been arrested on unrelated felony gun charges. Tamika Robinson-Sims faces two counts of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and one charge of possessing a gun without a valid Firearm Owners Identification (FOID), court files show. Police have called her a "person of interest" in the 2017 death of 18-month-old Sema'j Crosby.
Yes! Slam her *advertiser censored* in jail and maybe LE will get some information. And if not, oh well, nothing lost. I wonder how the arrest came about.

Sema'j Crosby Slaying 3 Years Later: More FBI Help Underway

Apr 27, 2020

"...The Will County Sheriff's Chief Deputy of Investigations Dan Jungles told Joliet Patch that the homicide investigation remains active. His agency has enlisted help from the FBI on two recent fronts.

In recent months, the Will County Sheriff's Office sent its entire Sema'j Crosby case file to the FBI's behavioral analysis unit. Will County is also working with an FBI forensic pathologist who specializes in child deaths...."

Sema'j Crosby Slaying 3 Years Later: More FBI Help Underway

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho