UT - Tony & Katherine Butterfield, murdered at home, West Jordan, 18 Apr 2020

I wonder if Johnson was a gang member. I wonder if he is a Mormon/LDS. I know that some Mormon parents name their sons Enoch. If he is a Mormon, it could be possible he attended the same ward as the Butterfield's and could have felt that Mr. Butterfield should give him a job because they were "brothers". Obviously, big speculation on my part. Just trying to find a connection.

"The Gangs of Zion" article from Salt Lake Weekly 2007
The Gangs of Zion

MOO

I wonder if Johnson was a gang member. I wonder if he is a Mormon/LDS. I know that some Mormon parents name their sons Enoch. If he is a Mormon, it could be possible he attended the same ward as the Butterfield's and could have felt that Mr. Butterfield should give him a job because they were "brothers". Obviously, big speculation on my part. Just trying to find a connection.

"The Gangs of Zion" article from Salt Lake Weekly 2007
The Gangs of Zion

MOO
That's an excellent article, thanks for posting it. I knew nothing about the Polynesian - LDS connection, the family discipline culture, the backdrop that explains the attraction to a gang lifestyle.

“My kids, they are going to make their own decisions. In the islands, you hit them and they stop,” he says. “Here, they have more freedom. It’s out of my control."

Yes, I agree there is probably is more to the story about the job application than we know.

An update this morning. Mr Johnson is back in Utah. The article quotes statements concerning his motivation and why he shot them.

West Jordan double homicide suspect charged with aggravated murder

I can not access this article. Is there any news on an arraignment date? I have in my notes that he has/had an extradition hearing (in CA) on 5/18, so I'm assuming since he is back in Utah - he'll have an arraignment date now.

Anyone have access to the Salt Lake County court site? TIA! :)

I can not access this article. Is there any news on an arraignment date? I have in my notes that he has/had an extradition hearing (in CA) on 5/18, so I'm assuming since he is back in Utah - he'll have an arraignment date now.

Anyone have access to the Salt Lake County court site? TIA! :)
I'm sorry Niner. I didn't realize it would be a tricky bugger. Here:

The man accused of killing a West Jordan couple in their home last month before fleeing to California is back in Utah — and facing multiple murder charges.

Salt Lake County prosecutors announced Wednesday that they have filed aggravated murder charges against Albert Johnson, 31, in the shooting deaths of Tony and Katherine Butterfield. He also faces counts of aggravated robbery and aggravated kidnapping, in addition to aggravated burglary and other charges.

Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill said it was too early to say whether prosecutors will pursue the death penalty if Johnson is convicted, but he noted it is an option.

West Jordan double homicide suspect charged with aggravated murder

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, B.S. Right . . .

I'm sure that after kicking the door down, once inside he casually laid down his keys, so as to make himself more at home, and pulled off his mask -- which he was only wearing to make a fashion statement.

Then, upon second thought, once outside, he decided he'd kill them too -- may as well, as long as he was there again.

He lied about the amount of money he stole. He's lying about "forgetting" the mask and keys, too, to remove the "premeditation" aspect.

Suspect who allegedly killed West Jordan couple makes first court appearance

May 8, 2020

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News) – Albert Enoch Johnson, the man accused of killing a West Jordan couple during a robbery at their home made his first court appearance on Friday.

The 8 a.m. preliminary hearing with 3rd District Court was held via court teleconference from the Salt Lake County Jail. The hearing was to read Johnson his list of charges as well as assign a public defender to his case.
[.....]
Johnson’s faces 10 charges including two counts each of first-degree felony aggravated murder, aggravated kidnapping and aggravated robbery. His next court hearing is scheduled for May 29th at 11am.

Suspect who allegedly killed West Jordan couple makes first court appearance

May 8, 2020

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News) – Albert Enoch Johnson, the man accused of killing a West Jordan couple during a robbery at their home made his first court appearance on Friday.

The 8 a.m. preliminary hearing with 3rd District Court was held via court teleconference from the Salt Lake County Jail. The hearing was to read Johnson his list of charges as well as assign a public defender to his case.
[.....]
Johnson’s faces 10 charges including two counts each of first-degree felony aggravated murder, aggravated kidnapping and aggravated robbery. His next court hearing is scheduled for May 29th at 11am.

Thanks! From your link:
When he returned to the home, Tony Butterfield was standing inside of the door and was able to recognize him. Tony Butterfield allegedly stabbed Johnson to prevent him from going back inside the home. That’s when Johnson said he shot him and when the wife started screaming, he shot her too.

Anyone here - can you access Utah court cases? Was wondering when Sina Johnson will be in court?
TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-002.gif

Utah Couple Was Killed While Kids Slept, Allegedly by Suspect Who 'Believed They Had Money'
Security camera footage recovered from investigators from inside the home allegedly shows Albert Johnson entering the home, going upstairs to the couple's bedroom and forcing them out of bed as they slept in pajamas.
He allegedly is shown taking them downstairs and can be heard demanding money from the couple, say investigators.
Wow hope there is more footage showing exactly what happened. Unquestionable evidence like this could lead to sure and swift justice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedWriter
Back