CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
More unknowns........quoting the article linked above
Wortman allegedly left the party after getting into an argument with his girlfriend. He then allegedly tied her up in his house and beat her before returning to the party.

Do we know when the idiot left the party? Did she leave with him or on her own? Which house was she confined in? What was said when he returned to the party without her? Or did he return in his cop disguise? It would be interesting to know how long after he initially left was it before the 911 call at 10:01.
I have read the police were there in 12 minutes, which is at odds with a 10:26 arrival time from a 10:01 dispatch call.
I bet he returned to the party in his cop costume. His girlfriend probably saw him changing, otherwise she wouldn't have known and been able to report that to LE when she came out of hiding in the woods.

He did, apparently, enter a home seemingly to look for the children and then left (Blair's, I think).

Emily and her family lived in a pretty small space. I would think that if this guy came banging on the door, all of them would have come to see what was happening.

Also, Emily wasn't like the other children. She was a young adult, really, apparently with a big, spunky, outspoken personality. (The mother of her boyfriend spoke about her at length in one of the podcasts I listened to. She seems to have known Emily (and Lisa McCully) well.

I think Emily would have been well known to the killer because of her father's relationship with him, and because of her interests. She would have been more likely than the other children to have interacted with him because she was older, and because she was learning carpentry and welding. Additionally, there seems to have been some knowledge among friends regarding negative aspects of his relationship with his common-law. Emily sounds like the kind of young woman who could have had strong opinions about such things, if she was aware of those problems.

Edit to add: I think this was the podcast: Dark Poutine – True Crime & Dark History – A podcast about notorious Canadian crimes, dark history and other creepy topics as told by real-live Canadians

It’s heartbreaking that she was
Murdered just as her life was beginning.

Are you referring to the title? The podcast titled, "122 – Connections: Nova Scotian Heartbreak (NS)", is very good.

Yes - sorry! Just the name of the podcast. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but look forward to it later.

Good Day Everyone! I live 3 hours away from Portapique, NB. I went to high school with one of the victims and all the kids in my community know her Dad (He goes into local elementary schools to read to the kids). I have a daughter close in age to Emily Tuck so her murder has been especially difficult for me.

I’ve been following this rampage closely and have a few random thoughts.

1. I do believe this was a targeted attack at women. I know that men also died but both people he pulled over and killed were women and it all began with violence towards his partner. The men that were killed were with women or were trying to help.

2. I wonder why he killed Emily and not the other children.

3. I think there were red flags about this individual and I believe they were ignored because he was a successful, white guy. We need to do better as a society.

4. I don’t believe this was his first violent crime. There are several unsolved murders of women / sex workers in the Halifax area. Would not surprise me in the least if DNA evidence ends up pointing to gw.
Just noting these women missing /murdered from NS. possibly too long ago, but this still missing young woman, Kimberley M was the daughter of RCMP..
CANADA - Canada - Kimberley McAndrews, 19, Halifax, NS, 12 Aug 1989

CANADA - Canada - Leslie Katnick, 26, Halifax, NS, 1 Nov 1991

CANADA - Christine Majorie McLean, 27, Halifax, N.S., 4 April 1998

Last edited:
4. I don’t believe this was his first violent crime. There are several unsolved murders of women / sex workers in the Halifax area. Would not surprise me in the least if DNA evidence ends up pointing to gw.

As I have said elsewhere, this guy is mass murderer. There are differences between mass murderers and serial killers. It think it is very unlikely he is both. I don't know if there has ever been anyone who is both. Imagining he might be responsible of old murders is probably not a good thing to do because it could divert attention from identifying other murderers.

Here's an article on mass murderer vrs. serial killer: Serial Murder Versus Mass Murder

As I have said elsewhere, this guy is mass murderer. There are differences between mass murderers and serial killers. It think it is very unlikely he is both. I don't know if there has ever been anyone who is both. Imagining he might be responsible of old murders is probably not a good thing to do because it could divert attention from identifying other murderers.

Here's an article on mass murderer vrs. serial killer: Serial Murder Versus Mass Murder

Yes, but this mass murder wasn’t typical in that it happened in a number of locations over a considerable period of time. One could argue that he was a serial killer in that he went to different locations to kill people. One could also argue that he had a ‘cooling off’ period while he hid in Debert. He also killed people in a variety of ways (fire, shooting, pulling some people over).

He was not a typical mass murderer and, imo, he could have killed before.

Last edited:
Yes, but this mass murder wasn’t typical in that it happened in a number of locations over a considerable period of time. One could argue that he was a serial killer in that he went to different locations to kill people. He also killed people in a variety of ways (fire, shooting, pulling some people over). He was not a typical mass murderer.
He kept going until he was killed. That's what happens to most mass killers. They go until they kill themselves or are killed. He took a break because he was tired, needed to re-think, now that he had started this what to do next, or waiting for an opportunity to find his common-law and deprived of that ... Who knows? But it isn't a break in the sense of serial killers, and it isn't over multiple locations in the same sense either. Serial killers have a different agenda.

If this guy has killed before and gone undetected, especially multiple times, he would be very unusual, if not unique, among mass murderers and serial killers. He's a malignant narcissist, borderline personality, OCD, alcoholic, control freak, raging abuser. That's very different than a serial killer who are also a some of those things, but they are psychopathic. They are not killing for the reasons he was. They are temporarily satisfied by what they do, and the break, or cooling off is not just a few hours.

<Admin Note: ^^ Please make it clear when stating your opinion so it is not interpreted as fact>

Last edited by a moderator:

He took the time to burn the evidence behind him even on the hwy , Didnt seem like he was on a suicide mission or planning to get caught.

I doubt his plan was to flee the scene driving across a field, so whatever was evil was going thru his mind was probably sidetracked as events unfolded. After the killing of McCloud/Jenkins, he went to another house who, thankfully, did not open the door. Did this anger him to the point he did the roadside murders? How much was planned, how much was reaction and anger? I have wondered if he was heading back to the Halifax area, where was he actually going? His properties would be watched by this point.

I don't think he was that concerned about evidence, I think he was just enjoying the havoc and destruction of the fires. Even his own house..I think he knew he was likely going down in a shootout and was more concerned then if he wasn't gonna be around to enjoy his home..neither was anyone else.

He took the time to burn the evidence behind him even on the hwy , Didnt seem like he was on a suicide mission or planning to get caught.

I don’t believe he was planning to get caught either. IMO he thought he outsmarted police and was invincible. He swapped the stolen Tracker for the Mazda3, changed into civilian clothes and if he could fake a police car no doubt he was capable of obtaining fake ID. Those aren’t the actions of someone expecting to get caught. By the time he gassed up at Ensfield I think he thought he was home free and was ready to execute his escape plan. Did he own a boat I wonder?

regarding the comment left- so I couldn’t believe this to be true....but it is. 28b11 is an antibody they are testing for covid.

Recombinant Mouse Anti-IL17F Antibody (28B11) - Creative Biolabs

That is very surprising. However, I think it is a coincidence. I'm not sure how he could have known this for one thing. However, there is a photo of a real car in the area which is 28B1. The RCMP police cars' middle letter refers to whether it is assigned in town / hwy duty / general duty:

A (alpha) = General Duty / Rural (marked and unmarked);
B (bravo) = Municipal Duty (marked and unmarked);
C (charlie) = Freeway Patrol, Highway Patrol, Integrated Traffic Safety Unit or Traffic Services (generally NOT part of a Municipal contract) (marked and unmarked);
D (delta) = plain-clothes operational unit (General Investigation, Major Crimes, etc - unmarked);
E (echo) = Operational Support (Dog, IDENT - usually unmarked; Provost - usually marked; Radio and computer techs - unmarked);
F (foxtrot) = Administrative Support (Staff Relations, Professional Standards, CPIC, Commissioned Officers - unmarked)

RCMP Car Numbers - Blue Line Forums

I'm thinking the first two numbers have to do with the station to which the car is assigned and the last number(s) is the identity of the car. His choice of 28B11 was a pretty good disguise given the 28 (area) B (municipal duty) and 11 call number.

It's a bizarre coincidence, but I think that's what it is.

I don’t believe he was planning to get caught either. IMO he thought he outsmarted police and was invincible. He swapped the stolen Tracker for the Mazda3, changed into civilian clothes and if he could fake a police car no doubt he was capable of obtaining fake ID. Those aren’t the actions of someone expecting to get caught. By the time he gassed up at Ensfield I think he thought he was home free and was ready to execute his escape plan. Did he own a boat I wonder?

A neighbor in Dartmouth spoke about the killer buying a search-and-rescue zodiac at a government auction. He said it was the type that law enforcement or military have.

Nova Scotia shooter’s profile an ‘outlier’ to the police impersonator archetype

Nova Scotia is being hit with another tragedy today as the HMCS Fredericton, home port of Halifax, has had one of her Cyclones crash into the sea while participating on Op REASSURANCE. We are a small military community, and Nova Scotians have always been proud of their RCN and huge supporters of her Fleet.

6 Crew aboard; 1 confirmed to be found deceased; 5 still missing. I'm tracking those numbers through work. Will post a link s soon as I can find one/one is published. The SAR Mission continues. May her remaining 5 crew be recovered safely.

Edit to add: here we go:
One person reportedly dead after Canadian military helicopter crashed into Mediterranean Sea

Again, Nova Scotia, you are in my prayers tonight. As are my friends aboard the Freddy and my fellow Canadian sailors, airmen, airwomen and soldiers.
A young relative survived the sinking of the tall ship Bounty during Hurricane Sandy. For my siblings and I, unraveling the realities that put a dockside attraction in the eye of a hurricane from the misinformation/ misrepresentations coming from the owner and defenders of the captain was how we coped until the Coast Guard hearings 5 months later. We will never forget the interest and kindnesses from Nova Scotians. The hearings got little coverage in the US beyond places with direct connections. But Chronicle-Herald reporter Beverley Ware attended the hearings, live-tweeted, and reported on them. Oftentimes my siblings from Annapolis, Maryland to New England, could watch the livestream from WAVY while we had a group chat open and Beverley Ware's twitter feed. But the livestream camera was only on the person testifying or those conducting the hearing. Beverley Ware's tweets helped us feel that we were in the room to support our girl. When livestream ended and the hearings ran late or there were technical difficulties, she was our lifeline. It meant so much to us that readers in Nova Scotia took such an interest in the sinking and the young crew members who went through hell. I have followed news of maritime disasters since them in real time and read the investigations as they came out cover to cover with that Nova Scotia spirit in the front of my mind.

All in a very long way of saying, my thoughts are with Nova Scotians and all Canadians as we wait for news of those on board the Royal Canadian Navy helicopter. My condolences on the loss of Sub.-Lt. Abbigail Cowbrough. She sounds like a person who would make any family and every country proud. Hoping for the rescue of the 5 still missing.

Last edited:
RSBM
All in a very long way of saying, my thoughts are with Nova Scotians and all Canadians as we wait for news of those on board the Royal Canadian Navy helicopter. My condolences on the loss of Sub.-Lt. Abbigail Cowbrough. She sounds like a person who would make any family and every country proud. Hoping for the rescue of the 5 still missing.

Thank you for this; I'm so glad that your young relative survived. 29 October.

If one thing can be said for Nova Scotians in times of tragedy, and this event certainly qualifies, it is that they pull together as a family and that despite their own personal grief will all do their utmost to ensure survivors and victims are supported and comforted. Beverley Ware is certainly amongst them. being in the military and having been posted all over this great nation, her journalism has been a source of reality of "What's Up" down home over the years.

Bluenosers have certainly experienced a disproportionate share of heart-wrenching tragedy from the Springhill Bump, the Westray Mine explosion, to the Sidney McDonald's massacre, the Swiss Air Flight 111 crash off Peggy's Cove and now this. I've no doubt their hardy Maritime spirit and their resilience will help them pull through this, but the support of the world they have also been shown is simply amazing for these amazing people. They inspire me.

Nova Scotia, Canada's Ocean Playground. May she long remain true to that spirit and be spared future tragedies. They've wrestled with enough of them already.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Nova Scotia. My grandfather was born in Antigonish, and as a child living outside Boston, I came to realize the special relationship between Boston and Nova Scotia. A train from Boston carrying supplies and medical personnel was the first to reach Halifax following the Halifax explosion of 1917. In thanks, N.S. donated a Christmas tree to the city that year. They delivered another tree in 1971, and that annual gift of thanks has continued to the present.

That is very strange. Closest Gas Station (per Google) is about 9.5km, in Great Village. Perhaps she hitched a ride with someone who did not have a phone?
That's why way back when I had questioned about why the gf wouldn't have come out of hiding if she was in the woods and heard all the sirens and seeing police lights out on the road somehow. She must have known help would arrive at some point in the night. So she ended up calling from a gas station somewhere early the next morn. ? JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo