Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a serious question: since there is a large part of our population that appears not to understand the ramifications of a pandemic -- so they are romping on the beach- gathering to protest- and doing other activities that are guaranteed to spread the virus-- could there come a point where the government could/would/should institute Martial Law? I mean can we really tolerate 1-2 million deaths in this county?
Should we institute Martial Law? I certainly hope not.

Indiana closed for the year awhile back. I'm kinda shocked NY wasnt already closed. :eek:
Several Indiana school districts near where I live announced they were closing for the remainder of the school year on March 20th. The students have been doing e-learning assignments instead of attending class but the school buildings have been closed since March.

Last edited:
really! full-service gas stations are next to impossible to find around here (Ontario, Canada)

New Jersey and Oregon are the only two states in the U.S. that ban self-service gas stations. Oregon allows them in counties with under 40,000 population. However, Oregon has lifted the ban throughout the state during the pandemic (until May 9 unless extended again) if stations want to have self-service to protect their employees from contact with customers. Our favorite station is still pumping gas thankfully. We’ve gotten spoiled after living here 36 years! :D

Oregon State Police : Self-Service Rules Change FAQs : Office of the State Fire Marshal : State of Oregon

I’m venting on a couple in my extended family...
Im irritated as heck having to hear the pissing and moaning about having her beauty shop closed, (husband works as prison guard), having to be home with two young children, having to cook (they’re used to going out every night to eat) and how this is so UNFAIR to them!

Chaps my *ss!

Great news for us today, finally got into IRS website, they're mailing our $1200. Checks today, AND... when I checked our business checking account there was an $8,000.00 deposit from the small business administration!!!!!
Yay!!!
I immediately contacted our landlord and let them know we are sending them rent money.
Now I need to file a reopening plan with the county. I will do that today because lord only knows how long before they approve that.

I’m venting on a couple in my extended family...
Im irritated as heck having to hear the pissing and moaning about having her beauty shop closed, (husband works as prison guard), having to be home with two young children, having to cook (they’re used to going out every night to eat) and how this is so UNFAIR to them!

Chaps my *ss!

When this was still a China epidemic, people commented here that the measures taken in China to protect society from an infection that can cause permanent health issues (ARDS) would never work in the USA. We all knew it. Today, we see what that looks like.

Other countries have taken a more conservative approach, with a combination of closures, "stay at home" requests and need-specific financial aid. Canada is slowly opening all provinces with provincially determined, phased regulations. If any one phase raises numbers, things could be scaled back or maintained until the numbers are managed and controlled.

Not every province has the same timeline. Similarly, not all states have the same timeline. Do individual states at least have a plan?

Any sightings of Justin Bieber LadyL? He and his new Wife are quarantining in their Ontario Canada home. He has been doing some volunteering with Tim Horton's. Food/coffee drop offs.

I just realized how that post read but too late to edit - I'm not in Stratford but it's close-by. I didn't know he was volunteering - good for him!

Emirates is the first airline to conduct on-site rapid COVID-19 tests for passengers. Passengers on today's flight to Tunisia were all tested for COVID-19 before departing from Dubai. Emirates in coordination with Dubai Health Authority (DHA) will be introducing additional precautions.

video 44 seconds

From the link:

During the hearing, which was conducted via teleconference, Dana Point staff received a request from the state to participate in a call to develop a plan for reopening the beaches, according to a Dana Point council spokesperson.

"As a result of that call, a plan to reopen beaches has been developed and will be submitted to the state over the weekend," Dana Point officials said in a statement. "The city is hopeful the plan will satisfy the state, making further court action unnecessary."

Eta: The state wants to "deal" and doesn't want these cases to go forward because they know they're on constitutional law quicksand. jmo

Last edited:
I cant say enough about Premier Doug Ford's Leadership thru this here in Ontario Canada. Stellar job. Ontario is 2nd in case numbers with Quebec being 1st. His guidance has been sensible IMO based on what has occurred here.

Coronavirus Updates: Trump Blocks Fauci From Testifying to Congress; FDA OKs Gilead's Remdesivir

The Trump administration has barred Anthony Fauci, the scientist who’s leading the U.S. response to the coronavirus pandemic, from testifying before a congressional hearing next Wednesday. Fauci had been sought as a witness for a House Appropriations Committee subcommittee that was looking into the U.S. response to the pandemic, according to Evan Hollander, a committee spokesman. “We have been informed by an administration official that the White House has blocked Dr. Fauci from testifying,” Hollander said on Friday afternoon. The White House later confirmed that Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, would not be appearing.

Gilead Sciences Inc.’s antiviral drug remdesivir was cleared by U.S. regulators for emergency use in Covid-19 patients, becoming the first medication backed by early clinical data to be made available to fight the novel coronavirus. Remdesivir reduced the time it took hospitalized Covid-19 patients to recover in an interim analysis of an ongoing study. The Food and Drug Administration granted an emergency-use authorization, President Donald Trump said on Friday, a step by which the agency can allow products to be used without full data on their safety and efficacy.

Gilead shares closed down 4.8% on Friday at $79.95 in New York. The company has faced questions from investors about how it plans to make money on the drug, but its stock is still up 23% this year, at a time when the rest of the market has cratered. “This was lighting speed in terms of getting something approved,” said FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, speaking with Trump. “From clinical trial to getting it authorized, it was 90 days.”

I don't see anything in this video about this news

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members