Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a picnic on my front porch with me, myself and I. I thought I would really miss eating out since that is basically how I got fed but I don't.

There is a bird nest on my porch and underneath the nest is a disaster. i need to motivate myself to clean up the mess.

I have been self isolating on my property since early February, except for one day's pandemic run that month to stores. I am in my front garden every day for 3-4 hours, and folks in the neighborhood walk by, often with their dogs. Last week, two of my favorite dogs (I watched them before when humans were on trips) were let off leash to play with me in the yard. I petted them, hugged them, laid in the grass with them. Since I live alone, I.NEEDED.THAT. TOUCH.CONNECTION. It was fabulous. And yeah, they could have the virus on them.... but I took the risk and said to myself it's so very insignificant ... and reward greatly outweighed the risk.

It's taking everything in me not to interact with dogs out on their walks. I definitely miss that.

Yes it's like defeating their own aims isn't it, if they cannot show social responsiblity for the distancing even. How can they then be trusted once businesses are open?
If they protested in an orderly well planned march and gathering, observing the rules, maybe they would be listened to?
By not wearing masks and not social distancing, they are spreading the virus amongst themselves, then to innocent others when they go home. Therefore they are actually begging for lockdown to continue, but are idiotic to figure that out.

Every one is different, and respect your opinion that sports are essential and your recognition that it would help people be able to focus on something that is enjoyable and would relieve stress .

Respectfully, I am more focused on this virus and deaths and tragedies for others and I'm getting more relief of stress donating my time and monies to those that are less fortunate than I. (What is that pyramid that we learned of in middle/elementary school??? as to concerns... need to revisit MOO)

My greatest angst is what is to come in the third world countries that don't even have such an option as their only struggle is to have basic necessities for living.

<modsnip>

The NFL:
Just donated 35 million dollars for Covid relief.
NFL family donates more than $35M for COVID-19 relief - NFL ...
www.nfl.com › news › story › article › nfl-family-dona...
Mar 26, 2020 - The National Football League announced today that in collaboration with the National Football League Players Association, clubs, owners and players, more than $35 million has been donated to date, including $3.4 million from the NFL Foundation as part of the COVID-19 relief efforts.

The NFL players are known for their hands on charitable works. They all have charitable foundations for needy youth and educational grants and scholarships and food banks, etc. etc.

Many have charities specifically for the countries you described. One of the most successful is a group that brings fresh water to needy African countries. WaterBoys, founded by Howie Long.

Our Mission - Waterboys

Named for one of the most overlooked but integral positions on any team, Waterboys unites NFL players from across the league in service. As Water Boys, players team up with fans in support of a single shared cause: providing clean, accessible drinking water to communities in need.

Thanks to the generosity of fans like you, in February 2018 we achieved our initial goal of funding 32 deep-bore wells to represent 32 NFL teams. To date, we’ve provided clean drinking water to more than 345,000 people.

But we’re not done yet. We’ve expanded our efforts and our impact, and recruited like-minded athletes from the NBA to join us in pursuing our new goal: providing access to clean drinking water for 1 million people worldwide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it still winter in Minnesota? What's the temperature today?

What's Minnesota's plan? Signing in to attend?

I guess the reasoning is so all people can be contacted if someone in the congregation gets the virus.

Today's temp was tolerable so there could have been an outdoor service. Keep in mind the planting season here is not until May 30. That says a lot. We had snow last year in May. The church service outdoor services assumption is it would be a long term idea, which would not work in many states.

Victorville gym reopens, defies CA's stay-at-home order: "It was a mistake to close gyms"

VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KABC) -- A gym in Victorville opened its doors to the public on Friday, despite California's orders to shut down all non-essential businesses due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Jacob Lewis, the owner of "The Gym," says that he opened the gym for businesses "against all my supervisors' instructions" as well as the state's stay-at-home order.

I know we are all desperate to hear good things so I’ll share how Mom’s visit went today. I stood back and videoed doggo as she realized “grandma” was here. She’s a big dog, but she’s somehow able to jump on mom and give her full body hugs without knocking her down. As soon as Mom opened the gate, the full body hug went into effect, was mutual as mom tried to kiss doggo’s head through her mask, and lasted longer than usual.

I had set out watermelon chunks for her to give the chickens and I set up a chair in the handicapped chicken’s yard. Mom sat there with her favorite chicken in her lap and the dog by her side for a good, long while, and we stayed a good distance away with masks on as well and chatted.

I actually got the greatest picture of those three together, content. The handicapped chicken and the dog are best friends, too, so everybody was happy.
@JaneEyre This is the most beautiful post I've ever read. My heart to you and yours.

Victorville gym reopens, defies CA's stay-at-home order: "It was a mistake to close gyms"

VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KABC) -- A gym in Victorville opened its doors to the public on Friday, despite California's orders to shut down all non-essential businesses due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Jacob Lewis, the owner of "The Gym," says that he opened the gym for businesses "against all my supervisors' instructions" as well as the state's stay-at-home order.
Good grief! Hope you will keep us posted on status of this gym business.

The beach is so wonderful and relaxing. I guess it is good that I don't live near one or else I would be out and about.
Yes. The lockdown in OC in SoCal has been very difficult. They opened the beaches one weekend only for Gov. Newsom to say it wasn't ok to do again. I know people that went to our beaches. The six ft distancing was being done quite well. There were loud speakers reminders every hour and safety patrol driving around constantly enforcing it. I don't know what memo he got, but it's not what I was told from people that were literally there.
So, then after he shut our beaches down again the protesters come out with no social distancing or masks! What the heck were they thinking? Protest while showing you have social awareness and responsibility!
From what I understand some of our beach stores are opening anyway and nothing is being done about it.
moo

"Look at national & subnational daily deaths side-by-side.
NY daily deaths descending, but US plateau continues.
Why?
US is compound of multiple peaks like NY. As one state’s daily toll falls, another rises, keeping daily deaths high at national level."

John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter

John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200503_161649.jpg
    IMG_20200503_161649.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200503_161655.jpg
    IMG_20200503_161655.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 11

That's taking on a lot of liability imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17