Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought of something.....

Will the wearing of face masks be banned in court and other government buildings?

I can see why they would be.
Good question. Snips:
Anti-mask or anti-masking laws are legislative or penal initiatives prohibiting the wearing of facial concealment in public places. Mask laws vary based on jurisdictions as well as varying with regard to intent, scope, and penalties, from place to place.
During the 1918 influenza pandemic in San Francisco, California, a group of citizens that included doctors and several city supervisors formed an "Anti-Mask League" after becoming frustrated with mandated mask-wearing.[11]
Anti-mask law - Wikipedia

ETA:
Alabama authorities urge people to ignore KKK-era anti-masking law

Gov. Kemp suspends Georgia's anti-mask law amid pandemic

Last edited:
I've counted about 30 people out walking, walking their dogs, bicycling past my house this afternoon.

No social isolation being practiced. No masks at all.

This is what it's like near every California beach - or on the beach, if people can get there. The beaches cannot be fully closed, but parking is closed - so people park a few blocks away and walk down in droves. Walking outside is allowed. LA has a mask rule, but Santa Barbara (as an example) does not. So tourists from all over, walking on the sidewalk near the beautiful beach and out on the pier (closed businesses, closed parking but lots of scenery seekers). Absolutely no social distancing.

AND, SB consequently has more cases of CoVid than other Central California counties - still low, as I do believe outdoor transmission is less virulent, but still.

It's really too bad we didn't have a blanket federal policy and be done with it. We'd be so much closer to the end, if we had. As we're seeing this weekend, we have new hot spots.

Face shield is not to replace the mask, it's an addition to the mask. If you look at health workers wearing face shields, they also wear a mask. Face shield offers splash protection, but it doesn't seal your face like N95 mask does.
IMO the health workers need both as they are working indoors in close contact with known infected patients. The general public in an outdoor environment are much less likely to be infected. In an indoor environment maybe yes, as Germany have required. Have any US states mandated masks to be worn either indoors or outside?

(ETA just seen the Massachusets mask rule posted by weeping angel )

Last edited:
"Among the findings of their research paper, which the team plans to submit to a major journal: If 80% of a closed population were to don a mask, COVID-19 infection rates would statistically drop to approximately one twelfth the number of infections—compared to a live-virus population in which no one wore masks."

If 80% of Americans Wore Masks, COVID-19 Infections Would Plummet, New Study Says
I guess that explains Hong Kong success where 97% wear masks.

ETA all my adds are now featuring masks and scarves as face coverings LOL.

I just thought of something.....

Will the wearing of face masks be banned in court and other government buildings?

I can see why they would be.

The opposite is happening so far in the court cases I'm following-- In Idaho, for example, no audience is allowed and they are requiring masks for everyone in court. Here's an example hearing that went on for 2.5 hours with masks:

It was quite painful to watch and difficult to follow what the defense was saying with his face covered. The judge had to call a recess midway through so everyone could go outside for fresh air. By the end of the hearing the judge had removed her mask because she said she was having trouble breathing and defense counsel did likewise after that. I think courts need to install acrylic barriers around the judge's bench, witness stand, defense and prosecutor tables, etc so that trials can happen with minimal masks. I don't know how they will be able to seat a jury under these conditions...

MOO.

Last edited:
I live on the 8th floor of an 11 story building. We have 2 elevators and only 2 people are allowed on the elevator at a time. We all wear masks and are very careful. Some of us are in the vulnerable age group. A man on my floor passed away and we cannot find out what he died from. He was elderly and not found right away. Needlessly to say, it is a very stressful situation here. He had not seemed sick a week or so before. Neither our Association or building management have told us anything.

I am in Louisiana and our parish has been hard hit. Our first case of Covid-19 actually came into our parish from another one. Then it just seemed to snowball. We are still on lockdown here and do not know when that will be lifted. I've only been out once and that was to go to the grocery to pick up groceries that I'd ordered online.

Family is spread over different states and we are all over 60, but fortunately none of us have gotten sick with this virus.

I live alone and it is just like groundhog day! If I didn't have my phone and my computer I would be stark raving crazy by now. How are others living alone coping?

I appreciate all posting about how it is in your area. I would have never thought we would be going through something like this!

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese authorities reported on Sunday what could be the beginning of a new wave of coronavirus cases in northeast China, with one city in Jilin province being reclassified as high-risk, the top of a three-tier zoning system.

Jilin officials raised the risk level of the city of Shulan to high from medium, having hoisted it to medium from low just the day before after one woman tested positive on May 7.

Eleven new cases in Shulan were confirmed on May 9, all of them members of her family or people who came into contact with her or family members.

The new Wuhan case, the first reported in the epicentre of China's outbreak since April 3, was previously asymptomatic, according to the Hubei provincial health commission.

The 89-year-old man had not left his residential compound in Dongxihu district since the Lunar New Year in late January. His wife also tested positive, though she showed no symptoms, the Wuhan municipal health commission said.

The residential compound has had 20 confirmed cases, and experts say the new infection was mainly due to previous community infections.

After the case was confirmed, medical officials have carried out nucleic acid tests on residents of the compound and found five asymptomatic infections.

The infections highlight the continued potential for new clusters of infections due to carriers who do not look ill or have a fever.

On Sunday, the risk level of Dongxihu district was raised to medium from low.

Northeast China hit by coronavirus infections, Wuhan reports new case
So can someone previously asymptomatic become contagious and what makes that happen?

ETA I want to say chicken dinners but will refrain from that. :)

I live on the 8th floor of an 11 story building. We have 2 elevators and only 2 people are allowed on the elevator at a time. We all wear masks and are very careful. Some of us are in the vulnerable age group. A man on my floor passed away and we cannot find out what he died from. He was elderly and not found right away. Needlessly to say, it is a very stressful situation here. He had not seemed sick a week or so before. Neither our Association or building management have told us anything.

I am in Louisiana and our parish has been hard hit. Our first case of Covid-19 actually came into our parish from another one. Then it just seemed to snowball. We are still on lockdown here and do not know when that will be lifted. I've only been out once and that was to go to the grocery to pick up groceries that I'd ordered online.

Family is spread over different states and we are all over 60, but fortunately none of us have gotten sick with this virus.

I live alone and it is just like groundhog day! If I didn't have my phone and my computer I would be stark raving crazy by now. How are others living alone coping?

I appreciate all posting about how it is in your area. I would have never thought we would be going through something like this!

I suspect we're all on the verge of being stark raving mad, we just don't know it because we don't interact with others who would signal that we're completely nuts or off kilter.

I guess that explains Hong Kong success where 97% wear masks.

I think that the government was negligent in not advising people to wear masks when the infection was discovered initially in the United States. So people didn't think it was a big deal not to wear one. Then they tell us to wear a mask. We know why they told us not to wear masks (cause they didn't want people to take away masks from hospital workers), but that was clearly the wrong advice and in some ways is unforgivable.

Cuomo touts New York's decline in hospitalizations, effectively reverses mandate linked to nursing-home deaths
Cuomo also issued a new directive stating that hospitals cannot send patients back to nursing homes in the state unless they tested negative for the virus. The move appeared to largely invalidate his March 25 state directive that required nursing homes to take on new patients infected with COVID-19.

The previous directive stated that "[nursing homes] are prohibited from requiring a hospitalized resident who is determined medically stable to be tested for COVID-19 prior to admission or readmission."

The policy, similar to one in neighboring New Jersey, was intended to help free up hospital beds for the sickest patients as cases surged.

Now, "we're just not going to send a person who is positive to a nursing home after a hospital visit," Cuomo said Sunday. He said such patients would be accommodated elsewhere, such as sites originally set up as temporary hospitals.

Me: Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members