CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read it on an article with Global news I think? It was discussed by a few people on this thread though with a link to the article. It wasn’t on the podcast though. Someone on here figured out the distance to the nearest gas station which I think was a couple of hours.

The source appears to be National Post Apr 24th report although it may not be correct, no source is given. I don’t recall the RCMP stating this in either of the PCs.

“The gunman’s girlfriend emerges from hiding at daybreak and calls 911 from a gas station just after 6 a.m.“
RCMP offer details about timeline for mass killing in Nova Scotia

It differs from other MSM reports -
6:30 a.m. — Police say Wortman's girlfriend emerges from hiding in the woods in Portapique after calling 911. As a key witness, she tells police he has an authentic RCMP uniform, fully marked replica RCMP vehicle, and multiple firearms including pistols and long guns.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...ing-unfolded-in-central-nova-scotia-1.5547747

Pure guesswork here but...... I would guess his preferred escape was not driving across a field. Given the arrival time of the police and his escape time, he fled in the face of authority. Debert might not have been his original plan but became his destination as he was familiar with it and the welding shop area. By morning he must have known he would be the subject of a manhunt, and I have wondered if his time at the Jenkins/McLeod home was to use their internet/tv news for updates. His eventual "escape" path was back toward Halifax in a stolen car so was the Wentworth activity an attempt to tie up police resources well away from his escape direction? More murders, more fires would slow up pursuit. Which leads me to another question.....if heading back to Halifax he could not have gone home.......where was he going?
All speculation of course.

To your point about using internet/tv at Hunter road- he most likely new at this point they had figured out it was him- but there was no knowledge that he was in the replica car. From his actions on the video from the convenience store - he appears calm and in no rush even though he had killed multiple known and unknown people at this point.

Was this video not taken just before the police released the information on the replica cruiser?

It's shortly after this video when he targets Cnst. Morrison/Cnst. Stevens. Didn't police say he had come close to police members and there was no interactions prior to this?

Perhaps he went to Hunter Road because they had a piece of equipment he needed- like a police radio/scanner?

Regardless what the judge rules on May 11th, I’m willing to bet the decision will be appealed by the losing party.
Yes, and in fact, they seemed to hint they wouldn't be ready to address it but the judge said she'd hear it on Monday anyway.

This is bizarre!

'FBI: Most Wanted' episode days before N.S. shooting rampage features eerie similarities
In the episode, a man named Gabriel goes on a murderous spree while wearing his police uniform. Whether it influenced Gabriel Wortman may be unknowable
Brian Platt April 23, 2020 9:05 PM EDT Last Updated April 24, 2020 9:42 AM EDT

A man named Gabriel goes on a murderous spree while wearing his police uniform. Starting off in a small town, he shoots multiple people, including police officers. He appears obsessed with the woman he calls his girlfriend. As a manhunt closes in on him, he sets a house on fire.

This is not a recap of the awful events in Nova Scotia over the weekend. It is instead a recap of a scripted TV drama that aired in prime time in Nova Scotia just four days before Gabriel Wortman donned a police uniform and went on his rampage that left at least 23 people dead, the worst mass shooting in Canadian history.

‘FBI: Most Wanted’ episode days before N.S. shooting rampage features eerie similarities

Pure guesswork here but...... I would guess his preferred escape was not driving across a field. Given the arrival time of the police and his escape time, he fled in the face of authority. Debert might not have been his original plan but became his destination as he was familiar with it and the welding shop area. By morning he must have known he would be the subject of a manhunt, and I have wondered if his time at the Jenkins/McLeod home was to use their internet/tv news for updates. His eventual "escape" path was back toward Halifax in a stolen car so was the Wentworth activity an attempt to tie up police resources well away from his escape direction? More murders, more fires would slow up pursuit. Which leads me to another question.....if heading back to Halifax he could not have gone home.......where was he going?
All speculation of course.

I think there’s a lot more to Debert than we know about. There’s old military airport, shooting ranges, bunkers, back roads, storage lockers ect back there he could have been up to anything. I’m sure he was on his way to his next victims house after stewiacke, there were probably a lot more in the Dartmouth area and hrm that were on his hit list as well.

A very interesting read.....but no question period followed! I'm sure that was intentional. Of immediate interest to me was that one of the guns was "traced" to Canada. An interesting way of phrasing it. I wonder what they were looking for underground on his property? It states nothing of interest or relevance to the investigation was found, but not that a pure "nothing" was found. Again, am I reading too much into this?

A very interesting read.....but no question period followed! I'm sure that was intentional. Of immediate interest to me was that one of the guns was "traced" to Canada. An interesting way of phrasing it. I wonder what they were looking for underground on his property? It states nothing of interest or relevance to the investigation was found, but not that a pure "nothing" was found. Again, am I reading too much into this?

The really bad part in all of this regarding the decals- is that the government releases the logo specs during procurement. He could have accessed this Information at anytime. Hopefully an investigation regarding the decals will cause things like this to stop.

Last edited:
An awful thought occurred to me.....was the underground search looking for bodies? Were they trying to link him to other crimes?

This certainly addresses possible concerns about the ability of RCMP in NS to competently manage the investigation.

“Operation H-Strong is being led by the RCMP Major Crimes Unit (MCU) with the assistance of specialized resources from across the country, including crime analysts, digital forensic services, federal policing officers, forensic anthropologist, forensic identification and laboratory services, forensic pathologists, legal application supports, national weapons and enforcement support, special tactical operations, victim services, among many others.”
Update on investigation into the incidents on April 18 and 19 | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

This certainly addresses possible concerns about the ability of RCMP in NS to competently manage the investigation.

“Operation H-Strong is being led by the RCMP Major Crimes Unit (MCU) with the assistance of specialized resources from across the country, including crime analysts, digital forensic services, federal policing officers, forensic anthropologist, forensic identification and laboratory services, forensic pathologists, legal application supports, national weapons and enforcement support, special tactical operations, victim services, among many others.”
Update on investigation into the incidents on April 18 and 19 | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

This big of an event would require any city to require assistance because these specialized supports/departments are in the bigger cities. I know Ottawa is likely one of them amongst others.

An awful thought occurred to me.....was the underground search looking for bodies? Were they trying to link him to other crimes?

Often times police actions are based on tips as well.....“we saw so-and-so digging, etc”. Then rumours and speculation can flourish from one thing to another, so it’s prudent for the RCMP to determine if there’s anything to be found even if it’s something like explosives which would be dangerous to others. The comment in the PC may serve to set some minds at ease.

As far as investigating if GW could be linked to prior crimes, I’d think his entire life is under the scope extending back to his youth. Given he was capable of such atrocities at age 51, who could immediately rule out there’s nothing more to be found. It was already published in MSM that fires occurred on two neighbouring lots in the past. I think not only missing person cases or unsolved murder files are being reviewed, but unsolved arson files too. JMO

This big of an event would require any city to require assistance because these specialized supports/departments are in the bigger cities. I know Ottawa is likely one of them amongst others.

Yes, the RCMP are a national police force centred in Ottawa. An investigation to this magnitude definitely wouldn’t be led by officers from local Nova Scotia RCMP detachments.

I was just thinking about the gasoline used in the fires that were set. Guessing molotovs might have been used, as the fires seem to have been set in the Portapique area in rapid succession. Easy to throw through a window of a house or car. Wonder if he assembled these ahead of time and had them ready to go, or he poured them on the fly.

Nova Scotia RCMP identify supplier of police decals used on gunman's car

In a news release Monday morning, RCMP said investigators have identified the supplier of the RCMP decals on the gunman's car during his shooting rampage that claimed 22 innocent people's lives.

"The decals were created without permission of the business owner," RCMP said, adding the business owner and person who made the decals are both co-operating with police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer