Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often does the FBI join a missing persons investigation so soon or without suspecting something more?

I can’t recall if they helped with Gannon Stauch?

I've never heard of the FBI getting involved on a MP case that didn't have some concern of foul play. The DA's office is also already involved, and that doesn't happen in cases where they think the person may just be lost or injured. And yes, the FBI was called in to assist with the Stauch case within days.

Monarch Pass closed as crews search for missing Chaffee County woman
ETA:
Angela Case
8 mins ago
“CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — Highway 50 over Monarch Pass will be temporarily closed for part of Friday as crews search for a Chaffee County woman who has been missing since Sunday.

[SBM]

The sheriff’s office said Friday morning that investigators have found ‘what’s believed to be a personal item’ belonging to Morphew.

The sheriff’s office said Friday’s search is targeted to ‘a specific area just west of County Road 225 and Highway 50.’ That’s just outside of Maysville, which is where Morphew lives.

[SBM]

According to CDOT, the closure began around 7:20 a.m. Friday.“ (BBM)

ETA 1:
078C5A78-A7C4-4192-994A-BEFCFEB5B34A.jpeg 1024859B-B4A1-49FF-B541-BACBD4D4D7B3.jpeg

Last edited:
How often does the FBI join a missing persons investigation so soon or without suspecting something more?

I can’t recall if they helped with Gannon Stauch?

I've never heard of the FBI getting involved on a MP case that didn't have some concern of foul play. The DA's office is also already involved, and that doesn't happen in cases where they think the person may just be lost or injured. And yes, the FBI was called in to assist with the Stauch case within days.

my first thought was cell phone ( but I’m not caught up so not sure if that’s been accounted for yet)
Not known if she even took a phone with her. Could be though, or Apple watch maybe, or Fitbit. Also could be something she wears while riding. There is some way that LE knows it's hers though, some identifying factor. JMO

We know that adults can walk out of their lives at any time. Leaving their families and friends, if they choose. IMO, LE does not believe this to be the case. I do believe it's a criminal investigation but at this time, I don't suspect her husband or anyone else in her family of foul play. I do believe she left her home on her own accord the day she went missing.

I also think it's possible, as an example, she texted her husband or one of the girls her intention to head out for a bike ride. Perhaps it's unusual for her not to respond to texts or phone calls after a period of time and that was alarming to her family, who then asked the neighbor to check in on her.

Again, I believe LE suspects foul play, has some sort of evidence of it and they certainly don't want untrained volunteer searchers trampling over a crime scene. The family, with the exception of the nephew, who is probably not "in the know" is being tight lipped because that's the STRONG recommendation they got from LE. I don't however believe that her husband or children know any details of the investigation either.

I'm thinking either the condition of the bike and/or the location of the bike make it seem urgent that LE be contacted.

jmo

eta: To clarify, it's my hunch that the neighbor found the bike and then called LE. jmopinion
i can't recall if the 911 calls are released in CO? I'm thinking no?
IMO

I’d be surprised if this is a random abduction, as LE is being so tight-lipped.

When Sherry Arnold was abducted in 2012, LE communicated a lot, such as requesting the public for sightings, announcing a shoe was found and the dogs found no scent after the shoe, and asking people about suspicious activity.

LE is not doing this at all, even though it’s 2020 and we now commonly have dash cams, house cams, and personal phones. If the bike was found off Hwy 50 or a county road, you’d think LE would ask people to check their dash cams or come forward with a sighting of Suzanne or something suspicious.

Yet LE has not. I think LE knows what happened and thus the lack of appeals to the public.

I have a feeling we will hear some bad news in the press conference later today.
me too - we've monitored so many searches lately where we are all online when the body is found - brings back all those memories for me. We've also had a couple miracles - but this one just doesn't feel hopeful to me ... at all...sign...
JMO

I definitely think it's a possibility. I doubt she wandered away and got lost out there.

It's a small town of only 135 people, but I don't know how many pass through that area or whether or not it's a busy road.

Imo

Highway 50 gets a lot of traffic. It's the only other main route across the mountains aside from I-70. Lots of tourist/recreationists passing through, quite a bit of commercial traffic.

Chaffee County Search and Rescue began searching for Morphew in the area around County Road 225 and West Highway 50 – where Morphew said she was headed (pictured).

Not sure if this has been posted but here is the area where she was biking. You can see Rt. 50 and 225 on the map. There is a bike-able trail, the "Colorado Trail" that goes up the valley towards the upper right of the image. Remote area.

Obviously where they found the bike, as well as it's condition is a big key to figuring out what happened.

Colorado mom, 49, vanishes after setting out on a Mother's Day bike ride

Bringing this forward. This article says why they searched that area.

Here is a good article explaining why the first 72 hrs is most critical in any missing persons case.

Its from 2018 but it has a good bit of information about how these investigations normally work.

Why the first 72 hours in a missing persons investigation are the most critical, according to criminology experts

"And it isn't just the person's family who investigators are looking to speak to. Law enforcement will often seek information from the public, including people who may have happened to be going on with their daily lives but witnessed a crucial moment in the subject's disappearance, said former FBI Special Agent in Charge and ABC News contributor Steve Gomez.

"People usually see something, so that period of time is absolutely vital in order to find the person right away," he said.

In addition, it's important to generate as much awareness and as many leads as possible, Gomez said, adding that they tend to slow down after the 72-hour mark.

"That's why it's just so important to try and move the investigation along and to get the public's help," he said."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member