Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would assume there are definitely some with this lifestyle in CO. Especially in this area...seems very rural, no cell phone service, town of 135, etc. Would not surprise me if there are wanderers in this area. This brings the stalker theory back into play, with all the windows on the house, it brings SM into plain view for anyone in the wilderness to see several times a day, I would assume. However, I would think they would have found more personal items, or dogs would have tracked her scent, unless this so called wanderer has a vehicle. JMO

There's the campground and RV resort less than half a mile from their house on the same secluded road. If I was LE, I'd want to know everyone who came and went from there in the last couple of months.

If someone abducted her it would be really easy to drive to their house, grab her, take her to an RV in that campground or even just along the road, and hit Highway 50, off to parts unknown.

If I lived in either the neighbor's house along PP road or their house, I would sure have a security camera that faced PP road and pinged me when a car came by. I would also have a metal gate across that driveway. No need to allow people with questionable intent to drive right up to your front door and be completely unseen by anyone

Last edited:
Has it been established as to whether there was any work being done on the house or grounds by outside crews. Driveway paving, painting etc. that would bring strangers around the home for a couple of days?
To be honest we’ve gotten very little MSM info about anything related to this matter IMO
We really don’t even have a last seen date - just that the neighbor/friend called 911 to report her missing Sunday - her media thread is full of the same information over and over - and it’s very little IMO

Only news I can find states that family members reported that her husband was out of town. Nothing about the daughters, though it seems that no one was home to notice Suzanne was missing. Unless - possible the youngest was at home and she called the neighbor when her mom didn't come back from her ride..then neighbor maybe searched a bit and called it in? Without MSM, who's to know what actually occurred with the sequence of events that day. JMO

Husband offers $100,000 reward as search continues for missing Colorado mom, Suzanne Morphew, who mysteriously vanished after going on Mother's Day bike ride

"According to a family member, Suzanne Morphew’s husband was out of town on a trip to Denver at the time the Colorado mom was reported missing."

If the scene was staged, bike being found, then other items being found away from it, ...what would that convey? Would that make you think it was a more personal crime or a professional, random attack? jmo

Good question. A staged scene seems far more personal to me.
Either staged by the suspect who is known to her, or staged by herself.
I have no reason to think she staged her own disappearance, but it's definitely happened.
Crimes of opportunity don't usually include staged evidence, it's just tossed wherever.

jmo

I suppose this has been mentioned, but there is the Monarch Spur RV park less than 1/2 mile from the house (blue). I would suspect anyone staying there would check out the Fooses Dam and trail area (right side of image) near Suzanne's house. It appears that the RV park was open when she went missing.

Area Attractions & Information - Monarch Spur RV Park and Campground

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 11.03.57 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 11.03.57 AM.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 103
Well if that is the case, perhaps LE needs to reign him in. I am sure LE did not appreciate him leaking information about the investigation. And setting up a go fund me account without his uncle's blessing is disrespectful. LE is conducting the investigation and searches. Did he state what he was using the money for?
I don't know if that's been stated specifically or not. I hope and think it's for the rescue efforts.

Just some random thoughts this morning:

- For those who are rubbed the wrong way with Go F*nd Me accounts, (especially in this case, where reward $ is so high), the *** is described as a fund designed to feed, shelter and assist family and volunteers in whatever ways they need while the search goes on. Entirely legit. Folks need to eat & have a place to stay while assisting. The 200k reward meanwhile, is for the safe return of SM. Two completely different purposes and allocation of funds, and both legit as far as I can see. JMO, but I don't think it matters at all, the dollar amount attached to real estate connected to the family. My house is "worth" nearly half a million, but I'm stuggling to make ends meet right now, so house value = cash flow isn't a reality for many people, especially right now with the 'Rona pandemic disrupting literally everything.

- Someone asked if TN was speaking on behalf of the family or just doing his own thing. I'm not sure it's been clearly stated either way, but he did set up both the FB Find page, and the *** accounts, so, there's that. Hard to really know for sure why he called his uncle "the husband". That did seem odd.

Really hoping they find her today.
Does it sound to you like TN and the husband do not get along? I'm thinking they are business partners or he invested in his landscape business and they have issues.

When you mentioned the area is being developed...it makes me wonder if there are any houses being built currently. To me it seems as if a worker could have been able to stalk her from his work site. For example, noting what time she went out on a bike ride most days, or something of the sort. While I do believe the answer is much closer to home, I think this is a viable scenario. JMO
I see reviews for handyman services and landscaping on her FB, but they are in Indiana. It is possible that services like this were used to help them settle into a new house, etc. Always a possibility if considering a random attack or a stalker...someone familiar with area and when she would be out biking etc. Not so sure anyone would be working on a Sunday though. Just another "add-to-the-list" thought. JMO

Only news I can find states that family members reported that her husband was out of town. Nothing about the daughters, though it seems that no one was home to notice Suzanne was missing. Unless - possible the youngest was at home and she called the neighbor when her mom didn't come back from her ride..then neighbor maybe searched a bit and called it in? Without MSM, who's to know what actually occurred with the sequence of events that day. JMO

Husband offers $100,000 reward as search continues for missing Colorado mom, Suzanne Morphew, who mysteriously vanished after going on Mother's Day bike ride

"According to a family member, Suzanne Morphew’s husband was out of town on a trip to Denver at the time the Colorado mom was reported missing."
I think if that were the case (daughter was home) we would have solid confirmation from Spezze that Sunday was in fact the day she went missing. What we’ve been told is they THINK that’s the day she disappeared, but don’t seem certain. I believe she was alone at home...

Does it sound to you like TN and the husband do not get along? I'm thinking they are business partners or he invested in his landscape business and they have issues.
I can't read anything into it, other than to say it sounded odd that he called SM his aunt, but called BM "the husband".
It's inconsistent so it stands out to me.
I have no idea if they're in business together or not, or if they are, how it would have any bearing on SM being missing.

jmo

I found the presser to be quite telling, and firmly believe they have a good working theory. Here are my big areas of consideration, for now:
  • So much that is not said is important, as well as body language. When asked if if they thought Suzanne was alive, while shaking his head no, Spezze said (which we expect) that they hope she is alive etc. That may be me overreaching but I found it interesting as it’s not an uncommon giveaway, for someone to shake their head no while affirming in the positive when they don’t believe something is true.
  • Regarding a stranger attack - unless an abduction occurred and the UNSUB had reason to keep SM alive, IF this was a stranger abduction I’d expect to find her body near the abduction site. When someone disappears, it’s often because either the UNSUB has reason to keep them alive (whether that be to take them elsewhere to continue the assault or other nefarious reasons), or because it’s not in fact an act committed by a stranger at all. Remember, transporting someone and holding them hostage or killing them later and disposing of them takes a lot more work/risk/effort than leaving them in the location. And if you are not known to the victim, well no need to make them disappear as LE will not immediately (or ever) tie you to them.
  • I’d love to know when the last known sighting of Suzanne was, and who saw her. We don’t know for sure she disappeared on Sunday, per quotes from Spezze. That’s concerning.
  • We (the public) have not been asked to look for a woman wearing xyz, no description of possible clothing or other items. That’s concerning.
  • The family has not spoken out publicly pleading for her return. If she had been abducted by a stranger, and with the FBI/CBI assisting in particular, I’d expect LE to encourage the family to make some statements humanizing/personalizing Suzanne, as we know sometimes that’s the only way to reach an abductor. Make the victim a person, do not allow them to be depersonalized.
There’s more that troubles me but this post is already far too long. I for one fear Suzanne is already deceased, and they’re looking for her body. The FBI’s ERT (evidence recovery team) is who they chose to bring into this case, likely for good reason.

Great post, well thought out!! I want to add a few things to your notes.

I've seen a few comments that family has not spoken out publicly. Her immediate family has not spoken, but her Nephew TN has spoke to the media and is actively searching for Suzanne.

Two things from the press conference.
  • Sheriff Spezze's answer to a reporters question: Is the husband cooperating?
  • Answer: Yes, he cooperating and I hope he continues to do so.
  • NO mention of the reward from LE. Not in any of their updates on Facebook, or in the press conference (wish a reporter would have asked).

I think if that were the case (daughter was home) we would have solid confirmation from Spezze that Sunday was in fact the day she went missing. What we’ve been told is they THINK that’s the day she disappeared, but don’t seem certain. I believe she was alone at home...

Yup good point

In fact I have a suspicion that nobody actually saw or even communicated with SM on the day she was reported missing.

I think that's a big key to the puzzle when was the last known verifiable contact with SM?

Gene's is like any other seasonal rootbeer stand in a small city. The town loves it, but it's not 'rolling in the dough'.
This has been bothering me. People insinuating crazy wealth from family sources, but I don’t think we’re looking at “old money” here w/trust funds from grandpa and family business where the children are just technically involved and bringing in tons of cash just from being a family member. Typically you don’t see a family who does “pretty well” for themselves funding their children’s lavish lifestyles (at least while they’re still living.) I don’t see that here at all. JMO

Judging from the freshness of the streets on the 225 road across the river, it looks to me like that area has multiple lots and is also being developed for homes. Some are large, like the one on the river. Others appear to be more modest, more cabin-like. It would be a terrific place to visit for a couple of weeks - that little lake, the river, the bike trails. I can see that place really taking off for people out of Denver and Colorado Springs.

I'd actually love to visit there. It must be freaking gorgeous in the fall when the aspen leaves turn.

No -- I believe it's quite the opposite!

From nephew's initial interview imploring the public to ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike, I believed he was baiting for information not disclosed to the husband or family. It would make no sense for him to want the public to ask about the bike condition if he already had this information. MOO

Great post, well thought out!! I want to add a few things to your notes.

I've seen a few comments that family has not spoken out publicly. Her immediate family has not spoken, but her Nephew TN has spoke to the media and is actively searching for Suzanne.

Two things from the press conference.
  • Sheriff Spezze's answer to a reporters question: Is the husband cooperating?
  • Answer: Yes, he cooperating and I hope he continues to do so.
  • NO mention of the reward from LE. Not in any of their updates on Facebook, or in the press conference (wish a reporter would have asked).
Good points, @Knox ! I should have been more clear/specific. No direct pleading from husband/children or family at the press conference. Yes, TN seems to be the only vocal one right now.

Personal. IMO.

I say personal because generally speaking, the only reason that someone would stage a crime scene or disappearance would be if it would easily be linked back to them. If this is a random attack, no need for staging.
Well, a random attacker might stage something to be creepy.

We had a murder in my area where items were left in a deliberate way....and it was spooky. Crime remains unsolved, but all things point to random spooky attacker. :(

Of course, I don't know if that is the case with the bike and/or other items found. We don't know much at all. Sometimes I think it was staged, other times I don't.

jmo

Well, a random attacker might stage something to be creepy.

We had a murder in my area where items were left in a deliberate way....and it was spooky. Crime remains unsolved, but all things point to random spooky attacker. :(

Of course, I don't know if that is the case with the bike and/or other items found. We don't know much at all. Sometimes I think it was staged, other times I don't.

jmo
Yes, a creep with a fetish/signature might stage things in a specific way, but that generally isn’t the same as staging a scene to look like the person was abducted, right?

I totally know what you mean, we have seen plenty of murders staged for the satisfaction of the perpetrator, but that gets...weird...not tossing a bike and a pair of headphones or whatever they’ve found.

Last edited:
No -- I believe it's quite the opposite!

From nephew's initial interview imploring the public to ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike, I believed he was baiting for information not disclosed to the husband or family. It would make no sense for him to want the public to ask about the bike condition if he already had this information. MOO
Yes and from this one could infer that LE is not sharing a whole lot of info with anyone
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members