Fred Willard, master comedian, dead at 86: 'This Is Spinal Tap,' 'Waiting for Guffman,' more

madfrank

ASBO-rrific
Reaction score
Fred Willard, master comic who starred in ‘Waiting for Guffman,’ has died at 86 (Los Angeles Times)

Fred Willard —the improv comedy master whose star shone brightest in the satire of writer-director Christopher Guest, playing a goofball so straight it wasn’t always clear he was in on the joke — died Friday evening in Los Angeles of natural causes, his agent Mike Eisenstadt said. The actor was 86.

His daughter, Hope Willard, said on Twitter that the comedian died “peacefully,” adding, “He kept moving, working and making us happy until the very end.”

In “Waiting for Guffman,” the 1996 film that launched him into the mainstream, Willard was a small-town amateur actor opposite Catherine O’Hara. With utter sincerity, the duo auditioned in matching tracksuits with a Taster’s Choice commercial performed to the 1973 hit song “Midnight at the Oasis.” It killed.
more

Last edited:
@madfrank thanks for your tributes! Spinal Tap, Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman are among the best "doco-parodies" of the 1990's IMO.

Brilliant on all fronts and Fred Willard, along with Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara portrayed comedy at its best!

RIP Fred.
You're welcome! Fred Willard was so good, consistently -- what talent, and, truly, what talented cohorts. How lucky we were.

Fred Willard effortlessly made every character he portrayed look like a real person, even while maintaining the most ridiculous scenarios. I know I’ve seen Mr. Willard in countless works, but my two favorite television roles were Scott (Leon’s husband) on Roseanne, and Hank MacDougall (Amy’s Dad) on Everybody Love’s Raymond. RIP to a wonderful and gifted actor.

Rest in Peace Fred Willard , Prayers for comfort and peace for family and friends.
Thank you for sharing so much of yourself with us !! What a natural talent, he made you laugh to tears !
First time I saw him was Fernwood Tonight he absolutely stole the scene . He will definitely be missed by many

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back