GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former PD and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all speculate, we all try to figure out the legal arguments that will be made from either side. I appreciate when people state clearly: I think. I suspect. I wonder. It does make it easier to discern what is being stated as fact or well grey matter meandering. It is kind of what we do here to some degree. Nobody wants to come and chat about just the facts nothing but the facts. how boring. We are here to discuss. Sometimes those conversations get heated. how could they not? Being clear on MOO or I suspect etc. helps a great deal.

I do think legally, watching this trial will be uber interesting. JMO

Post #299
I did qualify that it was my opinion only "MOO" that TM leveled the shotgun as he went to the front of the truck.

I was referring to the post quoted at #321, but it's likely there are at least a few here that think the shotgun was pointed at the victim.

Hmmm. And, before the "exact" moment above occurred, one would see that an armed white man has already moved himself in front of that truck to confront an unarmed black man. I more suspect that an unarmed Arbery was moving to grab that weapon that he found pointed needlessly at him when he got to the front of the truck. It was actually he who was under threat of life. If the weapon were pointed at me, I'd sure as hell grab it to swing it away from me too.

It's purely speculation that anyone ever pointed a gun at AA.
List of 96 'racist deaths' issued. (In the UK).

Such or similar things happen everywhere, including in the UK. When it comes to civilian on civilian violent deaths, what does make the US unique is the sheer, staggering volume of death/murder by gun.

I don't think it's unique at all. Handguns are banned in the UK.

Shotguns can only hold 3 shells and you have to have a special licence.

Rifles are only allowed in .22 rimfire cartridge.

Britain has about 6.5 guns per 100 people while the U.S. has about 101 guns per 100.

They have very strict gun laws. So no, not unique at all.

Gun violence rare in U.K. compared to U.S.

Last edited:

It's purely speculation that Arbery "attacked" McM. McM was already in front of the truck when Arbery ran in front of it. Unless that poster can see through trucks, any "attack" is just speculation. It has absolutely no more weight than a young black man feeling threatened when boxed in by armed white men in Georgia probably feeling like he was at risk to life. It's a gun for crying out loud. And that young black man also had the right to stand his ground in that case and to protect his own life.

If I have the correct post, the OP said "I more suspect.....". That's not a statement of fact.

Lots of posters have posted things as fact, I'm pretty sure 11 miles away was posted as fact and not backed up by any source.

Thank you. Yep; I more suspect - exactly as I posted.

And, unless any of the other posters are able to see through the truck, my suspicion is just as valid as the stated "fact" by one of them that McM "was attacked" by Arbery.

Thank you. Yep; I more suspect - exactly as I posted.

And, unless any of the other posters are able to see through the truck, my suspicion is just as valid as the stated "fact" by one of them that McM "was attacked" by Arbery

Thanks for clarifying. I read your post as a statement of fact that a gun was pointed at AA.

Britain has about 6.5 guns per 100 people while the U.S. has about 101 guns per 100.

The number of deaths/murder by gun in the US absolutely IS unique in the world, precisely because of our near limitless access to guns.

As far as whether or not TM was actually pointing his shotgun at AA, or "just" holding his shotgun, fingers on the trigger, standing first in the middle of the road as AA approached then moving towards AA as he rounded the truck, was most likely a splitting of hairs distinction to the fleeing man in fear for his life. JMO.

It's also rare in Switzerland where most everyone is armed and they have national shooting contests that 13 year olds can enter.
If you are on a train you might be sitting next to a military service man or woman with his/he rifle propped against the seat. Or they are walking down the wine aisle in the grocery store with their rifle slung over their back.
Maybe you go for a walk in the countryside...and pass an underground bunker.
That country is "neutral" with very low crime/murder rates and armed to the teeth.
So, I'll have to disagree.

Agreed, the area is not one I would refer to as wealthy. Working or upper middle class, with owned (or encumbered by mortgage) single family residences.
Only because I live in the area and a friend lives in that neighborhood .... not to contradict you at all: it is white and blue collar middle class. Brunswick used to not have the crime it does now. Major retail development has brought many new residents, not all upright citizens

Also, 60% of gun related deaths are from suicide. 37% murder..

That's a horrible comparison since the United States is 238 times larger than Switzerland.
About 1/3 the state of South Carolina.

"Armed to the teeth"? Compared to the U.S, I'm not quite sure of that.
You compared UK to the US...according to your argument that works.

The point of this thread is Ahmaud, not gun ownership.

You compared UK to the US...according to your argument that works.

The point of this thread is Ahmaud, not gun ownership.

I didn't bring up the subject, I responded to it.
Although I think the punctuation is in error.

I agree. This thread is about Ahmaud, so let's move on past the gun issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200517-233557.png
    Screenshot_20200517-233557.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 3
I think it is obvious that AA felt that he was facing a fight or flight decision for his life. If he was a white jogger being followed and hemmed in by white males in a truck, there wouldn't be the fear AA felt in stopping when they demanded it. We can't put ourselves in a young black man's mind. We haven't experienced his reality of life.

He knew he had stopped and trespassed at the house under construction and that was likely why they were hunting him down right afterward. He didn't steal anything, he didn't have stolen property with him, he was unarmed, but he felt that he had to grab the nozzle of Travis's shotgun because he feared for his life...there is no other reason for him to do this desperate act. Why didn't he just stop when the McMichaels demanded it? Maybe there is some history between them that caused AA to react the way he did. Hopefully we learn all the facts relevant to this case. jmo

Ahmaud Arbery Shooting Spurs Calls to Disband Police Force

*****I'm not sure this is allowed as it's not good info on the police department there. Also, if this has been posted already, sorry.

"The fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery in southeastern Georgia is fueling calls to disband the Glynn County Police Department, an agency that has been embroiled in controversy for years.

A grand jury last year faulted the department for a culture of coverup and abuse of power, prompting efforts to overhaul the agency that were gathering momentum when Mr. Arbery, a 25-year-old black man, was killed on Feb. 23. Four days after his death, another grand jury indicted Police Chief John Powell and three other current and former officers over alleged wrongdoing in a narcotics unit."

If I were jogging in a neighborhood and a truck started following me, I would not be stopping. I would try to go somewhere else.
If two trucks started following me, I would definitely try to lose them, and I would be afraid.
If two trucks of armed men were to follow me I would run for my life.
If after all of that, they were to block me in I would fight for my life.
To me, that's what Ahmaud did, but he lost.

TA pulled that trigger at least 3 times. That's not an accident.
It does not matter if he stole anything or not. He was unarmed, chased by two vehicles with armed men in them, prevented from leaving, and he was killed.

Did they think he was going to attack them with his T-shirt?

The number of deaths/murder by gun in the US absolutely IS unique in the world, precisely because of our near limitless access to guns.

As far as whether or not TM was actually pointing his shotgun at AA, or "just" holding his shotgun, fingers on the trigger, standing first in the middle of the road as AA approached then moving towards AA as he rounded the truck, was most likely a splitting of hairs distinction to the fleeing man in fear for his life. JMO.[/QUOT

TM stopped his truck blocking the road, the truck driver got out with shot gun, AA was then trapped between the truck and WB the man who previously tried to block him on Burford.

O.C.G.A. 16-5-41 (2010)
16-5-41. False imprisonment

(a) A person commits the offense of false imprisonment when, in violation of the personal liberty of another, he arrests, confines, or detains such person without legal authority.
2010 Georgia Code :: TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES :: CHAPTER 5 - CRIMES AGAINST THE PERSON :: ARTICLE 3 - KIDNAPPING, FALSE IMPRISONMENT, AND RELATED OFFENSES :: § 16-5-41 - False imprisonment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans