Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time that someone makes a video as if they’re speaking to the person who is clearly the victim of some type of crime or even bad accident, I feel like I know right away that the person speaking knows that the victim is never going to see the video. They can’t see the video either because they have been kidnapped or, they are dead.

It makes zero sense to speak to the person who can do nothing about their own situation. If Suzanne was making her own decisions she wouldn’t be missing. She is not sitting around somewhere holding onto a cell phone that has a still functioning battery and watching Facebook or the news. Those are just all my opinions.

Hi, all--newbie here. I grew up in this county and I go back all the time. Maysville is about 11 miles outside Salida, which in the last census was about 5200 full-time residents. Maysville isn't really a "town" per se -- it used to be but currently it's a "census-designated place" in Chaffee County and has about 135 residents, all spread out. Historically, Maysville had around 1000 residents in the 1880s; it has a mining history. But throughout the 20th century, population dwindled. It's now mostly residences like SM's house and a few historic buildings.

It's on the way up Monarch Pass, and it gets pretty mountainous pretty fast on Highway 50, which is mostly standard 2-lane. This is a rural area with a lot of trails for hiking and biking; standard protocol for those of us who grow up in areas like this is that if you're going on a trail ride/hike or you plan to go for a long road ride (or camping or river-running or whatever), you let somebody know that you're going to be doing that and what trail or road/part of the river you're planning to be on. Because SM's house is a remote location, it's true that her neighbors may not have a direct sight-line to her house, but chances are they pay attention to who's coming and going in the subdivision.

I agree that the neighbors may not have been keeping tabs on SM, but it's possible that they all have each other's phone numbers (in rural areas like this, you make sure you know who your neighbors are because you never know when somebody might need some help or if there's an emergency).

That said, there are so many weirdnesses to this awful situation, and my questions are similar to all of yours.

I don't find it completely strange that a neighbor would file a report, because in rural areas we do tend to notice things, but I need way more info.

• It seems to me that if you're going to tell anyone that you're headed out for a bike ride, it's going to be your family members, even if they're not currently at home. You'll text or call them, and when they don't hear from you for a while, they're the ones who will notify neighbors to check and notify authorities.
  • OR it's possible that SM didn't think anything of a quick bike ride and didn't notify her family and just decided to do a quick ride around the area, something maybe she had done many times in the past, so she didn't notify her family, thinking "it's just a quick ride."
  • Perhaps riding along toward the highway and the trailhead that's located near it she saw a neighbor out walking or riding or something and they stopped to chat. At that point, SM could have mentioned where she was headed.
  • Or maybe she had plans with a neighbor later in the day and when she didn't show up, the neighbor got concerned. If so, that neighbor may have known about SM's ride because maybe they checked in beforehand to finalize plans for later.
  • BUT if that neighbor had SM's phone number, why wouldn't they have her husband's, too? Why wouldn't they contact him with their concerns?
BUT again, all speculation on my part, thinking about what you do when you live in areas like this and you want to do your outdoor recreation. Regardless, my friends and I from the area have been talking about this for days, and we're all just waiting for any new information. So awful for her friends and family.

Thanks, everyone, for the discussions here.

Welcome to WS! Great post, nice to have a local’s perspective.

I was doing some searching last night and it appears that both the other residences on Puma Path are Airbnbs, and both owners live out of state. Surely LE has looked into whether any of those were rented at the time she went missing. I found the pics on Airbnb and then confirmed them on the Chaffee County Assessor.

<modsnip: no link to images>

Last edited by a moderator:
I was doing some searching last night and it appears that both the other residences on Puma Path are Airbnbs, and both owners live out of state. Surely LE has looked into whether any of those were rented at the time she went missing. I found the pics on Airbnb and then confirmed them on the Chaffee County Assessor.

So I wonder how close by the nieghbor was to her home...maybe they were at their own rental, or they were farther away. I only remember seeing three or four homes in that area.

New Press Release from Chafee County Sheriff Department -- asks residents to preserve video from May 8 through May 12. Go to link below to see the referenced photos.

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 17, 2020

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.

Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.

On Sunday, May 17, members of the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Rescue Team searched water sites in the area. (Please see attached pictures.)

As the investigation into the Suzanne Morphew’s missing person case moves forward, Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th.

Citizens are only being asked to preserve the video at this time. Please do not send these videos to the sheriff’s office or call the sheriff’s office. As search areas are identified, investigators will contact residents in those locations to collect any camera footage within that May 8-12 window.

PLEASE DO NOT CALL CHAFFEE COUNTY DISPATCH WITH QUESTIONS.

“One of the most helpful ways the community can aid in the search of Suzanne Morphew is by preserving these recordings,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “We are aware that some systems override video after several days, and we want to ensure video remains available if needed.”

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office asks the public to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****
May 17 Search Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

Wouldn't this be amazing if this was done with most cases. I hope in the future more LE folks do this at the VERY BEGINNING of most cases we follow in very strong terms (telling folks to preserve videos if they can)

FC2CC6E0-67B4-4FDF-AD5F-BA6BFD646333.jpeg EC7C29AC-9121-4A27-B67F-D9BCB55E12B2.jpeg

I misspoke. One residence is along Puma Path and one is along 225 before it curves to Puma Path. The Morphew’s property is in the bottom right.

bbm
I believe you're correct.

It would have been helpful if the husband had a presser with LE and taken questions earlier.
The sadly deceased Gannon Stauch and Kelsey Berreth both had family members who had pressers with LE.

And LE are not treating this as an abduction so unless they clarify....
No last description of Suzanne and no 'be on the lookout for'.
Again as other posters have put it --watch what LE DO; not just what they say.
I'm trying to recall if family members have taken questions at pressers before. I remember Mollie's dad and Jamie's aunts standing near the sheriffs as they were speaking. I think that's something that sends a positive message. Who knows why no family has opted to do that.

I wouldn't expect any family member to be exposed to a grilling from the press though. JMO

Last edited:
Long-time 'guest lurker' and I've had a membership for a while but never actually posted. But I'm going to jump in here. And forgive me if I say something that's already been said or I'm way off base. I tend to have an overactive imagination, plus I'm in NJ, so I've been in COVID lockdown for 2-months and counting, gives me lots of time to think.

That said...I hope Suzanne is found alive and well. But the one thing that stands out to me about this case, is the lack of information that is being put out. And yes, I know LE does that from time to time for specific reasons, but everything is so vague. And though I may not have read every single detail or been to the FB pages to see what is being posted there, the fact the timeline on when she was actually last seen, is changing, that just makes this more confusing.

I was starting to wonder if she didn't leave on her own accord. I know suicide/self-harm has been discussed and pretty much debunked but there have been cases where people do just leave. Not speculating on her motives for doing so, but if her husband and daughters were all away that weekend would have been the perfect opportunity to just take-off. And finding the bike could just be a red herring. Someone could have picked her up. Maybe that's why too LE wants the video footage from the area.

Of course, that could just be wishful thinking of having her alive and choosing to walk away, and me grasping for a somewhat happy outcome.

So glad you posted! I think this is a distinct possibility, and could explain the lack of information. You may be on to something.

IMHO

The only issue I have with the possibility of her leaving voluntarily is that the sheriff used the phrase "criminal investigation" and it seems unlikely that the FBI and other agencies would be called in so quickly for someone who just did a runner.

The date (if accurate) of leaving on Mother's Day did make me question this possibly being voluntary or a case of despondency (don't know if her own mother is still alive or not, it can be a day that triggers sorrow). We have not heard, as best I can tell, very much about Suzanne. However, I would hope that her family knows her well and most times (of course every missing person is unique) a family plea would emphasize things like "we love you, we miss you, please come home" - if they believed their loved one had left in a poor mental state.

The video that was released seemed to speak to a 'captor' of some sort which is unusual. I can only wonder if people of a certain wealth just have other concerns that seem odd (to me). If I thought my loved one was abducted - I would have very little hope that they were being kept alive for ransom :( (I have followed way too many cases on here).

This shows when I look at Airbnb’s in that area.

COVID-19 travel restrictions
This property is in a country or area that currently has travel restrictions, including preclusions on lodging, due to COVID-19. Check travel advisories from health officials and local orders.

Long-time 'guest lurker' and I've had a membership for a while but never actually posted. But I'm going to jump in here. And forgive me if I say something that's already been said or I'm way off base. I tend to have an overactive imagination, plus I'm in NJ, so I've been in COVID lockdown for 2-months and counting, gives me lots of time to think.

That said...I hope Suzanne is found alive and well. But the one thing that stands out to me about this case, is the lack of information that is being put out. And yes, I know LE does that from time to time for specific reasons, but everything is so vague. And though I may not have read every single detail or been to the FB pages to see what is being posted there, the fact the timeline on when she was actually last seen, is changing, that just makes this more confusing.

I was starting to wonder if she didn't leave on her own accord. I know suicide/self-harm has been discussed and pretty much debunked but there have been cases where people do just leave. Not speculating on her motives for doing so, but if her husband and daughters were all away that weekend would have been the perfect opportunity to just take-off. And finding the bike could just be a red herring. Someone could have picked her up. Maybe that's why too LE wants the video footage from the area.

Of course, that could just be wishful thinking of having her alive and choosing to walk away, and me grasping for a somewhat happy outcome.
Welcome @Zengirl1215. I'm a NJ resident myself. Hope you are well.

Your post states the optimism we would all wish for Suzanne...and her family. Whatever her reasons for doing such a thing is something they could deal with later, but at least she'd be alive and well. Everything on the table until it isn't. IMO

A question about how people use Facebook.

So many people collect friends on FB. Why would someone like Suzanne, with the numerous family, friends and contacts the Morphew family has, have no ‘friends’ on her profile?

Why would someone use it solely to post photos of herself, husband and girls on vacation?

Thanks - I’m not a FB user, just an interested observer.

Historically, Maysville had around 1000 residents in the 1880s; it has a mining history. But throughout the 20th century, population dwindled. It's now mostly residences like SM's house and a few historic buildings.

Does this mean there likely are abandoned mine shafts around this area? Either abandoned and clearly noticeable, or abandoned and hidden quite well?

PRESS RELEASE

May 13, 2020

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.
Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

This is straight from the investigators. Suzanne went for a bike ride on May 10th.

So many people collect friends on FB. Why would someone like Suzanne, with the numerous family, friends and contacts the Morphew family has, have no ‘friends’ on her profile?

Why would someone use it solely to post photos of herself, husband and girls on vacation?

you can exclude your friends list from your public profile - I haven't looked at her FB but this could be a reason?

This just means she has it set to private and you aren’t allowed to see her friends publicly, but some of her photos are still public. While those are public, her posts aren’t. So we have no idea if she posted last in 2019 or if she had posted on FB the day she went missing. Only her FB friends would know that.

Do we know the condition of her bike when found? Does it look like it was hit by a car?

Fantastic sleuthing right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads