Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Locals: Is Fosses Lake next to the highway?

Not local but have been looking at the Google map of the site.

Foose's Lake is about 0.5 mile as the crow flies from Highway 50. Maybe 2/3 mile drive.

There are several small dams across the Southern Arkansas River in that area that have small ponds behind them and could look as if they were close to the Highway, one of which is about 1.2 miles west the house, the other of which is about 1.6 miles east of the house, just next to Monarch Spur RV Resort & campground.

The more I think about it, the more I agree that perhaps the neighbor was never contacted by a family member re: Suzanne and called 911 of their own volition. Perhaps they set out to run an errand earlier in the day, and en route, come across her bike along the road without her nearby. Perhaps they think that's a bit odd but maybe she stepped into the woods to use the RR, take a photo, had bike trouble and walked/ran home, etc. Then later, when they return home, that bike is still there with no Suzanne around. They might go to her house to check in on her and/or call her to no avail. Perhaps even call her husband or daughters if they have their numbers, and they say they haven't heard from her in X amount of time. So the neighbor decides to call 911 and all they know is that her bike was on a road without her on it, so they say "I think she went on a bike ride."

This is all MOO and just a hypothetical situation I think could make sense. Now IF she was actually on a ride is of course to be seen.

I don’t understand why the official Find SM Facebook page isn’t reposting the press releases from the Sheriff. You’d think that if the Sheriff wanted people to preserve video evidence, the people running the official FB page would too. Unless this really is some ransom situation, which I highly doubt.

I remember the Joe Keller case, also in Colorado, from a few years ago. Fit guy went for a jog in rural, national park-ish wild area and disappears. Couple years later they find his remains out there. Turns out he wandered off his jogging path to check something out and fell.

Or the case of Amy Ahonen, also in Colorado, who's car was found on the side of the road. Nobody believed that she would have gone into the river (that was raging at the time) but her bones were discovered in separate places down stream in the past few years.

For me, the most likely situation is that SM was somehow drawn off the road/trail and somehow succumbed to the harsh wilderness. I'm not suspecting foul play yet. I'm sortof in the same spot with Barbara Thomas who is lost in the Mojave.

I don’t understand why the official Find SM Facebook page isn’t reposting the press releases from the Sheriff. You’d think that if the Sheriff wanted people to preserve video evidence, the people running the official FB page would too. Unless this really is some ransom situation, which I highly doubt.
It seems like LE and the family aren’t working together at all. Very odd.

MOO don't think anyone would delegate calling 911 about their mother or wife to a neighbor.
I think I might if I was out of town. The person, (he or she) who asked the neighbor to call may have asked first if the neighbor had seen Susan or to check the house. He then may have asked them to call the police when Susan couldn’t be located. It could have been something like, “I’m really worried. Can you call the police? I’m going to start back.”

I think I might if I was out of town. The person, (he or she) who asked the neighbor to call may have asked first if the neighbor had seen Susan or to check the house. He then may have asked them to call the police when Susan couldn’t be located. It could have been something like, “I’m really worried. Can you call the police? I’m going to start back.”
Also 911 is often connected to the right location based on your cell phone. So if you are in Denver, you would be connected to Denver 911, which doesn't help as fast as having someone locally make the call.

Foose's Lake is about 0.5 mile as the crow flies from Highway 50. Maybe 2/3 mile drive.

There are several small dams across the Southern Arkansas River in that area that have small ponds behind them and could look as if they were close to the Highway, one of which is about 1.2 miles west the house, the other of which is about 1.6 miles east of the house, just next to Monarch Spur RV Resort & campground.
Been quietly following all these great posts for the last few days. Reluctant to get sucked into another case yet here I am.
I read that LE found something that was 2000 feet from her house. I have no savvy figuring that out on a map. Has anyone done that?
TIA.

The more I think about it, the more I agree that perhaps the neighbor was never contacted by a family member re: Suzanne and called 911 of their own volition. Perhaps they set out to run an errand earlier in the day, and en route, come across her bike along the road without her nearby. Perhaps they think that's a bit odd but maybe she stepped into the woods to use the RR, take a photo, had bike trouble and walked/ran home, etc. Then later, when they return home, that bike is still there with no Suzanne around. They might go to her house to check in on her and/or call her to no avail. Perhaps even call her husband or daughters if they have their numbers, and they say they haven't heard from her in X amount of time. So the neighbor decides to call 911 and all they know is that her bike was on a road without her on it, so they say "I think she went on a bike ride."

This is all MOO and just a hypothetical situation I think could make sense. Now IF she was actually on a ride is of course to be seen.
Her nearest neighbor doesn't share an access road with her. If another neighbor spotted a bike, how would they know whose bike it was?

Been quietly following all these great posts for the last few days. Reluctant to get sucked into another case yet here I am.
I read that LE found something that was 2000 feet from her house. I have no savvy figuring that out on a map. Has anyone done that?
TIA.
Could have sworn I saw a map with it marked.. but someone pointed out it equates to about .3 miles, which is not far at all.

TIA.
I don't think there's been any confirmation on the location, distance from the house, or content of the personal item LE located during the search. Also, not seen anything in MSM or Sheriff updates.

If true, please link.

The images LE might be looking for aren't necessarily something that looks out of sorts. For example, they might want to see if the perp's car was driving down Main Street at 3pm on a certain date - they can then ask for people on Main Street for their videos so LE can look for that specific car.

That's one reason I'm thinking LE isn't asking people to actually view their video but simply preserve them in case they are asked for them.

jmo

They might be thinking ahead to a possible trial, where the defense says that LE had tunnel vision and didn’t even bother to ask neighbors for video.

Also 911 is often connected to the right location based on your cell phone. So if you are in Denver, you would be connected to Denver 911, which doesn't help as fast as having someone locally make the call.

True, good point about the 911 call only going to local area 911.
I still would want to talk to them myself.
Which might have happened with a call back from the sheriff to the husband or a daughter.

Her nearest neighbor doesn't share an access road with her. If another neighbor spotted a bike, how would they know whose bike it was?
Was the "personal item(s)" found near the bike? I realize they said the personal item(s) was found on Wednesday and the bike was found the day she went missing, but at this point I'm left to try to figure this out without the "help" of LE. Unless the neighbor was asked by SM or a family member, I don't see how anyone would have seen her leave for the ride.

Thanks, yeah, it's hard to tell exactly how close things are from Googlemaps. I'm wondering about Fooses Lake in particular. The map makes it look like the highway is right beside the water and I'm wondering whether if somebody driveng fast hit a bicyclist right there, would the person be flipped into the water?

I don't think there's been any confirmation on the location, distance from the house, or content of the personal item LE located during the search. Also, not seen anything in MSM or Sheriff updates.

Just the El Paso SO dive searchers assisting sunday 5/17.
MOO a dive search is very Specific target, and use of resources.

Thoughts I have considered:
  • New to the area and likely she hasn't met a lot of new friends yet (two years isn't a long time)
  • Lives in an isolated area, so not a lot of neighbors to visit or make friends with.
  • Virus lock downs in place, so there isn't a lot of places to go and see just to get out of the house.
  • Husband is not home and its Mother's Day.
  • Children are not home and its Mother's Day.
  • No one around, all alone, could lead to an unhealthy state of mind.
  • Personal item found? Could it be that she tossed something that was valuable that she was upset about what it represented?
Just thoughts, Hopefully she will be found safe and alive.

TIA.
Foose's Lake is just over 2000 ft from the house. And if you swing a 2000 ft arc from the house, it ends up at the Route 225 turnoff from Highway 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88