Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think LE knows exactly what happened and are dotting their Ps & Qs. Thus, the lack of pressers and media questions.

But if there WAS a presser and if I was a media person, besides asking the last time anyone saw SM, if the house/cars had cameras, what was the physical evidence and electronic data obtained......

........I’d ask about drone searches. Specifically what kind of drones. And what were the results. Did LE use thermal drones Sunday night, Monday morning?

Since 2014 and living in a few remote places, I’ve grown just stunned at the drone technology being used by county and fed search-and-rescue.

Don’t know if Chaffee County launched fancy nighttime thermal-imaging drones on Sunday or early Monday, so that’s a question to be asked.

“Is Monarch Pass dangerous? The pass is generally open year-round; however, 7% grades exist, and the area is prone to heavy winter snowfall, often resulting in temporary closures during severe winter storms. The west grade is the more dangerous because of no shoulder and fatal drop offs.”

Monarch Pass, a high and notable road in Colorado
It is a very popular route for cyclists, especially those training for racing.

First time posting on this site - I appreciate the way things are done on this site. Just a couple of observations:

I'm certainly an amateur - I've watched a lot of Dateline, but that's about it. But wondering if possibly there could have been a threat to SM prior was brushed off at the time - deemed not credible to her and/or BM - but left just enough doubt in her to notify a neighbor when going for a ride..... that type of situation might fit a lot of what we know about this case (neighbor calling it in - and in very short time, BM seeming to imply both in his video and the post re: the reward that he believes she was abducted, LE not appearing to treat this case like there might be a predator on the loose). Certainly speculation, but it's all anyone seems to have at this point.
Welcome to WS!

First time posting on this site - I appreciate the way things are done on this site. Just a couple of observations:

I'm certainly an amateur - I've watched a lot of Dateline, but that's about it. But wondering if possibly there could have been a threat to SM prior was brushed off at the time - deemed not credible to her and/or BM - but left just enough doubt in her to notify a neighbor when going for a ride..... that type of situation might fit a lot of what we know about this case (neighbor calling it in - and in very short time, BM seeming to imply both in his video and the post re: the reward that he believes she was abducted, LE not appearing to treat this case like there might be a predator on the loose). Certainly speculation, but it's all anyone seems to have at this point.

Welcome to WS! This theory has crossed my mind a LOT based on the behavior of LE and the plea BM made to potential captors. Perhaps there was a stalker, or a creepy handyman, friend, etc...who wasn’t taken seriously until it was too late.

I haven’t seen any public records indicating any protective orders, or requests for protection etc...related to SM, so I had dismissed this theory from my mind. I also dismissed stranger abduction for the reasons you mentioned, no plea to the public by LE to look for her or for her bike, no BOLO for suspicious people or vehicles, etc...However, the idea of a potential threat that wasn’t taken seriously before now makes it a real possibility. It reminds me of the case of Elizabeth “Betsy” Wiesenfeld, who was allegedly killed by her handyman (he is now charged with her murder), and her body was recently found. So sad for her family to suffer without knowing where she was for so long, I hope the same doesn’t happen with SM. MOO IMO

It is a very popular route for cyclists, especially those training for racing.

Yeah one time I went up to Mount Evans. It is the highest paved road in North America and has no guard rails in some spots. There were bicyclists going uphill at that elevation and I was like “woah!! That’s some serious fitness!!”

Mount Evans is a “14er” (over 14,000 feet).

Well, she is classified as a missing person, so...LE seems not to be able to get a hold of her. The neighbor calls 911 and reports her missing, so presumably as some reason to do so (and it turned out the neighbor was apparently right - if Suzanne isn't missing, then she has found a way to make her family and LE think she is).

Which reminds me: I can't find Suzanne in NAMUS. What's Colorado's protocol for this? Is there a statewide MP database? Can anyone else find her in NAMUS?

Anyway, right now, no one can get a hold of her. And LE seems to want to know more about what was happening from May 8-12, by asking strangers to review video. There are implications in that.

Right, I just read the post as that someone from her family came out and said they couldn't get a hold of her and then presumably contacted the neighbor (versus the neighbor being told she was going for a ride and she didn't check back in or seeing her bike on the road and getting concerned, etc). I agree that no one can get a hold of her.

We don't know for sure why the neighbor contacted 911.

Wow!!! Great first post. I am also fairly new to this and haven't watched dateline in years...LOL!(but always liked the show) Seems a very strong possibility... "prior was brushed off at the time - deemed not credible to her " They really haven't lived here that long and it is an isolated location. I would guess LE checked into previous threats if any documented threats existed from IN, but not at all sure.

KRDO sat down with former Pueblo County Sheriff Dan Corsentino to explain what goes into an investigation like this.

Without much to go off of, he says his past in law enforcement leads him to believe there are unusual circumstances.

"This case is going to be something more than I think a family-related case. That's just my gut instinct," Corsentino said."

Source: KRDO

Any guesses where the press photo of divers was taken? It doesn't seem to be near the South Arkansas River.

Photo source: Suzanne Morphew search: Residents near Salida asked to save video cam recordings
Chaffee_morphew_dive.jpg

This looks like the South Arkansas River. It looks different at some areas as it gets a little tougher in some areas where the river gets tighter.

My mind tends to go this way - but not because of Dateline, but because I taught for several years at a police academy and got to hear lots of stories. When someone goes missing, obviously, statistically, we know that family members are often responsible. However, business associates, lovers, people to whom money is owed, etc., are all statistically relevant as well.

Somewhere, early on, I thought we heard that she was going for a long bike ride, but that now seems to have evaporated, as several stories on this case have done (from pages that may or may not legitimate "local" reporting). The nephew said some stuff, but I didn't personally hear his interview (wasn't he on Dateline? Does anyone have a transcript?)

It would certainly explain why LE doesn't act as if there is a "general predator" or serial kidnapper on the loose. Instead, it's someone known in some way to Suzanne or to her family or to the neighbor or to the husband - to someone. There's at least good reason to have suspicions of someone who is not a serial killer.

BBM. I missed this. Who has stated they were not able to get a hold of her?
<modsnip: rude>Since the neighbor called 911 I (presume again) it was stated, maybe someone called SM and could not reach her. It only would make sense they would call the neighbor to check on her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I was hoping to check in and find some good news dang it!!

Regarding the house and isolation.... I would wager that there are some guns in that home because it appears that the husband enjoyed hunting IMO. Now whether or not she used them is a different story, but we happen to live on a lake in a secluded location and I absolutely love it. I also know how to shoot, and we have 3 dogs LOL.

One thing (among many) that I find curious is LE asking for tips, but not even giving information as to elicit someone’s memory. Suppose, as some posters mentioned, someone may have been fishing or hiking in the area. How would that person even know what might be relevant? I just find this very curious. MOO

<modsnip: rude>Since the neighbor called 911 I (presume again) it was stated, maybe someone called SM and could not reach her. It only would make sense they would call the neighbor to check on her.

Yes, I have read every thread. You stated: "Since they could not get hold of her," and I was asking who is they? You made it sound like it was a verified fact that someone has come out and stated they were not able to get a hold of her. After that, you said you presume the husband or whomever may have contacted the neighbor. I thought you had read somewhere that for sure, a family member was not able to get a hold of her, when I had not read that anywhere. For all we know, the neighbor may have called 911 because s/he came upon her bike in some disturbing state on the road. The family may have not even been involved in the 911 call (unless you saw otherwise somewhere). We just don't know for certain. I was just asking for clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:
from the article above :

Although Corsentino says the FBI's involvement does bring out some clues.

"The sheriff of Chaffee County would say that he has information that is pertinent to something beyond Chaffee County and they want the FBI to search outside Chaffee County," he said.

bbm ....what does "would say" mean? To me, it implies a hypothetical probability, not that the sheriff actually said that. imo

I think "would" as the opposite of "would not".

Well, I was hoping to check in and find some good news dang it!!

Regarding the house and isolation.... I would wager that there are some guns in that home because it appears that the husband enjoyed hunting IMO. Now whether or not she used them is a different story, but we happen to live on a lake in a secluded location and I absolutely love it. I also know how to shoot, and we have 3 dogs LOL.

One thing (among many) that I find curious is LE asking for tips, but not even giving information as to elicit someone’s memory. Suppose, as some posters mentioned, someone may have been fishing or hiking in the area. How would that person even know what might be relevant? I just find this very curious. MOO
This is one of the many things I’ve found so...curious...about this case. No description of clothing or personal items, height, hair color, nothing. No guidance on if you were in xyz area on this date around these times and saw anything please call. This is very unusual, in a true missing person’s case.

Geraldine Largay’s Wrong Turn: Death on the Appalachian Trail

There was an incident a few years ago where a middle aged lady got lost during a hike on an Appalachian trail and died from exposure and starvation. She wasn't found for 2 years. Very sad. I've been thinking about this poor lady while I've followed this case.

Then there was serial killer Cary Stayner who killed 4 women around Yosemite National park.
Indeed, that case of Gerry is what brought me to WS. Such a sad senseless loss of life. Lots of mixed signals and crossed wires on that one. Poor cell phone service being a big one.

In Gerry's case, she was hiking in an unknown, remote wilderness far from her home (the AT in Maine). Whereas Suzanne (if biking) was close to home, so I IMO doubt that she became lost. She did however, become separated from her bike for some reason, voluntarily or not.

Is it possible that she stopped to pick a flower or sit by the lake? Or pee? Definitely possible. The search, though, has been fairly thorough, using searchers on foot, dogs, divers, drones, aircraft and all with a starting point of the bike's location, wherever that may be. Plus an additional and supposedly separate location of personal item(s). Seems that the bike and the personal item(s) were not found together. I IMO don't believe she is missing due to an accidental fall or slide for these reasons.

What other scenarios are possible?
*She left on her own.
*Husband seems to believe (from his video) that someone has her and will return her for money.
*Sheriff is asking for local citizens to save surveillance video footage over a 5 day period, implying some things as to timing and other locations. SOP - yes probably.
*She was attacked randomly on a bike trail, possibly killed and bike left behind. Maybe she even got off her bike and ran for help.
*Everything was staged through a planned crime..a stalker, a worker, a "friend."

We could go down any of these trails and find some way to support as well as dispute. The mystery remains for now. JMO

This is one of the many things I’ve found so...curious...about this case. No description of clothing or personal items, height, hair color, nothing. No guidance on if you were in xyz area on this date around these times and saw anything please call. This is very unusual, in a true missing person’s case.

Yeah, I keep coming back to that, and the only explanation I can think of is that they either already know all that, or know the situation is such that they don't need to know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288