GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former PD and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The person taking the video was also involved in trying to trap him and block him in. That was what was behind him.

This lasted 4 minutes, he had tried evasive maneuvers.

I don't agree he should have ran into yards or near houses. That would have just given justification for shooting him.

I'm not saying what he should have done. I wouldn't have been clear headed in the situation at all. I am curious as to how running away from them would have justified their shooting him? They'd have had to shoot him in the back from a distance of many yards.

The video clearly shows AA was moving towards the truck with at least 20 yards or so to see that the driver was standing outside the cab holding a long gun. He definitely had time to consider “what do I do now?” He could stop. He could turn around. He could turn left or right and get off the street altogether. He could even run wide around the truck as it looked like he might do. Charging the man holding a gun wasn’t his only option.
Arbery had already tried turning around and running in another direction. Maybe when he saw that they both had guns he believed they intended to shoot him.

He may have thought disarming him and fighting him off was his only chance of surviving. If he had just kept running he could have been shot in the back. I doubt if he just ran around the truck they would have stopped chasing him.

The McMichaels had time to think of other options, too. They could have just waited for the police.

Imo

Facts: 2 armed men in a truck pursued him for aprox 4 minutes. His attempts to get away were unsuccessful. TM had his finger already on the trigger. The two white men initiated the confrontation. TM chose to shoot him.
TM didn't "choose" to shoot him until Arbery attacked him and grabbed at his gun. What other good choice did TM have at that stage?

Facts: 2 armed men in a truck pursued him for aprox 4 minutes. His attempts to get away were unsuccessful. TM had his finger already on the trigger. The two white men initiated the confrontation. TM chose to shoot him.

More than one video exists. More than one narrative exists. All of our discussion is based only upon the small portion of information we have at this time. We're just speculating. I'm going to wait until the trial to draw conclusions. I can't make heads or tails of the only video I've seen. I'll wait to see validated information at trial.

The question isn't whether these 2 made a terrible judgment call in pursuing AA. I think we can all agree on that. The question is does their behavior rise to the level of murder? That remains for a jury to decide based on all of the information, which we do not have.

Can you please point out in that very grainy, unstabalized video, where exactly TM "had his finger already on the trigger"?

The video clearly shows AA was moving towards the truck with at least 20 yards or so to see that the driver was standing outside the cab holding a long gun. He definitely had time to consider “what do I do now?” He could stop. He could turn around. He could turn left or right and get off the street altogether. He could even run wide around the truck as it looked like he might do. Charging the man holding a gun wasn’t his only option.

My point is I don't think AA should have even have been put in the situation and having to make those decisions in the first place.

The McMichaels also had options. The option to not pursue in the first place. The option to not grab a gun. The option to not continue pursuit for 4 minutes. Many options.

But apparently AA was the one who made the wrong decision.

MOO

More than one video exists. More than one narrative exists. All of our discussion is based only upon the small portion of information we have at this time. We're just speculating. I'm going to wait until the trial to draw conclusions. I can't make heads or tails of the only video I've seen. I'll wait to see validated information at trial.

The question isn't whether these 2 made a terrible judgment call in pursuing AA. I think we can all agree on that. The question is does their behavior rise to the level of murder? That remains for a jury to decide based on all of the information, which we do not have.

Given that it's in the United States, specifically, Georgia, the vic was a POC, and charges weren't even brought against them for weeks, the chances of an acquittal are pretty high. You're right, we weren't there, so murder or manslaughter? Thank you for agreeing that they made poor judgment when they pursued him.

Can you please point out in that very grainy, unstabalized video, where exactly TM "had his finger already on the trigger"?

From MsBetsy's post:

But they weren't just standing on the road holding a shotgun. They admitted they were chasing him and had already attempted to cut him off twice.
Travis also admitted that his finger was on the trigger before pointing the gun towards him. His father was standing in the back of the truck holding a gun.

They were fully prepared to use deadly force, which in this situation, is illegal.

Imo

TM didn't "choose" to shoot him until Arbery attacked him and grabbed at his gun. What other good choice did TM have at that stage?
He chose to grab a gun and attempt to detain him. The fact that they were pursuing him with guns to begin with shows that they were ready to use deadly force.

After chasing him around for several minutes, one would think they would realize he wasn't going to stop. They both knew the police were on their way, why not just let them deal with it?

The best choice would have been to stay in the truck until police arrived.

What made Travis think he had the skills or experience to handle a situation like that?

Imo

I have a question for those who have said they've entered a residential construction site as a home was being built-without the permission of the builder or owner. Did you walk through the house or observe from just outside of the structure? Did you explore the construction during daylight hours our after dark?

We go in the new construction sites in our neighborhood all the time while out for a walk. We don't enter if an obvious entrance point isn't visible, but we've gone in the backyards of fully finished, yet-to-be-moved-into homes to look around. We've seen teens entering fully finished houses to do whatever it is teens do. I wouldn't be suspicious of anyone on foot entering a new construction home on their own. I feel like most people enjoy looking around stuff like that.

Hopefully someone can find the link. TM said he had his finger on the trigger.
It's in the police report and also in Barhill's letter that Travis had his finger on the trigger. I don't know where in the thread it was posted, or which news source it's from but I've seen it here a few times. Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa