GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former PD and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prosecutor is playing a dangerous game here.

False Imprisonment | Georgia Criminal Lawyer

Closer Look at the Law Behind False Imprisonment in Georgia After Family Violence Incident in Hall County | Georgia Criminal Lawyer

False imprisonment in Georgia is only applicable if it can be proven that the victim had no other reasonable means of escape.

The video shows Arbery running towards the redneck’s truck, and not in any number of directions away from the road and where no vehicle could even go because of the trees and brush. He was not even close to legally confined under any definition or case law in the state.

RSBM. He may not have had anywhere to go if there were other cars/people who were involved from this neighborhood. It seems like this thorough investigation is shining a bright light on this case. I wonder who else participated in texts, conversations, or chats. It might have been false imprisonment with more involved. JMHO.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this.

I was thinking that a .357 (GM's weapon) was meant for a longer shot with the shotgun being more for intimidation purposes. (much longer range, up to 125 yards)

I agree. I think the plan was that the killer son would try to intimidate Mr. Arbery and provoke a violent reaction. Then, the killer father would shoot to protect his son and make it so Mr. Arbery would be fleeing a "felony" that these killers witnessed. IMHO.

What good news that Roddy has at least been charged, whatever comes next. No absolute impunity for him at the very least.

I am no fan of Georgia's murder laws. Not all murders are equal, and to allow prosecutors to charge capital (felony) murder without having to prove or even argue intent gives way too much power to prosecutors/the State, IMO.

But- GA law is the law and what it is, and I have no sympathy whatsoever for Roddy. Roddy's participation deprived AA of an escape route, and within minutes, of his life. May Roddy be held accountable to the fullest extent GA law allows.

Closer Look at the Law Behind False Imprisonment in Georgia After Family Violence Incident in Hall County | Georgia Criminal Lawyer

False imprisonment in Georgia is only applicable if it can be proven that the victim had no other reasonable means of escape.

The video shows Arbery running towards the redneck’s truck, and not in any number of directions away from the road and where no vehicle could even go because of the trees and brush. He was not even close to legally confined under any definition or case law in the state.

All in all, looking at past case law it seems like a difficult case to make. An acquittal is exactly the kind of event that could make the prosecution‘s case against the other defendants significantly more difficult and would become a key part of the defense’s case. This is assuming his case goes before their trials, and it seems highly likely it would.

First of all, it's the GBI who did a careful and thorough investigation that laid the grounds for Roddy's arrest, despite intense ongoing public pressure to make that arrest long ago.

There are no "games" being played here, much less a "dangerous" game by "prosecutor." Roddy was arrested because GBI's investigation into AA's murder yielded probable cause that Roddy committed felony murder.

Last edited:
URGENT- PLEASE HELP TO KEEP WEBSLEUTHS RUNNING ...
  1. Right now there are over one hundred members online and 445 guests . I know that @Tricia is too polite to keep asking but I’m bumping this post because WEBSLEUTHS is an amazing site and just its presence in my life at a difficult time, got me through! I was able to lose myself in WS . Like the 445 guests right now, I was a lurker , a watcher and see what happens for a long time before I took the courage to sign up. Guys and Gals - WE DO NOT WANT TO LOSE THIS SITE . Please, only if you are able, consider donating. Every $1 matters and if all 445 of you lurkers only ever gave this $1 right now, you are still having WS in your life for as long as you want it. Even if you can’t afford anything because of the extraordinary circumstances that the world finds itself in right now, that’s ok. But because of COVID 19, this beloved site is at critical because of lost revenue yet @Tricia still has to pay the bills . So please if you are able to afford anything at all, no matter how large or small , please consider donating. One member mentioned that the link to donate wasn’t the preferred method. If that’s the case then post on here for Tricia’s or a mods attention or message them . But either way, please , if you can , help WS to stay up and running. We are a community here , almost family like . I for one couldn’t not have WS in my life. Peace to all and stay safe

4 minutes agoEditReport
    + QuoteReply
< Prev123
    • Indent" class="redactor_btn_indent" unselectable="on" tabindex="-1" style="color: rgb(34, 37, 230); border: 1px solid transparent; border-top-left-radius: 3px; border-top-right-radius: 3px; border-bottom-right-radius: 3px; border-bottom-left-radius: 3px; box-sizing: border-box; display: block; line-height: 0; cursor: pointer; zoom: 1; outline: none; text-indent: -9999px; width: 24px; height: 24px; background-image: url("https://www.websleuths.com/forums/styles/default/xenforo/editor/icons.png?redactor"); background-position: 3px -1309px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;">
Write your reply...
Is there a donate button or a Patreon? I tried searching for something that resembles it on the website, but wasn't able to find it.
go to Tricia’s name and you will see the link

AA's mother has gone public saying that she wants all three men (even before Roddie was arrested) to face a death penalty sentence. I sincerely hope that prosecutors will not be swayed into a death penalty trial when it might be difficult to even win a felony murder verdict. This kind of pressure on the DA makes me nervous due to the influence of public uproar, and the need for the DA to right a wrong in the delay in laying charges. I just want to see justice done with a jury that can make a verdict based on a logical charge. jmo

I agree. I think the plan was that the killer son would try to intimidate Mr. Arbery and provoke a violent reaction. Then, the killer father would shoot to protect his son and make it so Mr. Arbery would be fleeing a "felony" that these killers witnessed. IMHO.

I think they just wanted Arbery to stop weirdly creeping their neighborhood and, for some inexplicable reason, he wouldn't. jmo

AA's mother has gone public saying that she wants all three men (even before Roddie was arrested) to face a death penalty sentence. I sincerely hope that prosecutors will not be swayed into a death penalty trial when it might be difficult to even win a felony murder verdict. This kind of pressure on the DA makes me nervous due to the influence of public uproar, and the need for the DA to right a wrong in the delay in laying charges. I just want to see justice done with a jury that can make a verdict based on a logical charge. jmo

Absurd, imo. I hope they go for the death penalty.

All in all, looking at past case law it seems like a difficult case to make. An acquittal is exactly the kind of event that could make the prosecution‘s case against the other defendants significantly more difficult and would become a key part of the defense’s case. This is assuming his case goes before their trials, and it seems highly likely it would.

Prosecutor is caving to the "social justice" mob. We've seen how this turns out. And everyone will act all shocked. jmo

eta: at best, they're hoping he'll cave to the pressure and throw the other defendants under the bus. Which he probably will, imo. Look at English, already.

IMHO, he changed his tune because he was probably being doxxed. Like the MM's and like ole Roddy was and probably ever single neighbor on either side of the road.

Moo.

Given that it's in the United States, specifically, Georgia, the vic was a POC, and charges weren't even brought against them for weeks, the chances of an acquittal are pretty high. You're right, we weren't there, so murder or manslaughter? Thank you for agreeing that they made poor judgment when they pursued him.

Those aren't the only possible charges or outcomes.

I think they just wanted Arbery to stop weirdly creeping their neighborhood and, for some inexplicable reason, he wouldn't. jmo

I didn't realize that their streets were private roads. They have road services I assume. Their roads are paved by the city/county. They don't pay for the upkeep, except through taxes. This is not a gated community where trespass can be just waling within the community. As far as I knew they are public streets, no?

Mr. English's property was private. Mr. Arbery and anyone else who went on the property were indeed trespassing. Mr. English had not asked the neighborhood vigilante to run off, arrest or take action. It is his property, not the 3 killersI. Mr. English is the man who can make the complaint and get his justice if people are trespassing on his property.

I don't think that jogging in a neighborhood is "weirdly creeping" at all. Are you saying that Mr. Arbery was didn't belong in their neighborhood? What makes it so one doesn't belong in a neighborhood? And, if by a resident declaring that someone doesn't belong that means that you can then follow them, restrict their movement, and kill them, I would say there could be a whole lot of killing going on if that is the standard. The idea that someone can declare their dislike or discomfort with a person on the street means that the freedoms we all enjoy will quickly disappear and be replaced by vigilante justice that doesn't resemble our established laws.

I didn't realize that their streets were private roads. As far as I knew they are public streets, no?

Mr. English's property was private. Mr. Arbery and anyone else who went on the property were indeed trespassing. Mr. English had not asked the neighborhood vigilante to run off, arrest or take action. It is his property, not the 3 killersI. Mr. English is the man who can make the complaint and get his justice if people are trespassing on his property.

I don't think that jogging in a neighborhood is "weirdly creeping" at all. Are you saying that Mr. Arbery was didn't belong in their neighborhood? What makes it so one doesn't belong in a neighborhood? And, if by a resident declaring that someone doesn't belong that means that you can then follow them, restrict their movement, and kill them, I would say there could be a whole lot of killing going on if that is the standard. The idea that someone can declare their dislike or discomfort with a person on the street means that the freedoms we all enjoy will quickly disappear and be replaced by vigilante justice that doesn't resemble our established laws.

Repeatedly entering a neighborhood you don't live in and a vacant property in that neighborhood you have no apparent reason to be in, is weirdly creeping. If someone was doing that in a vacant house on my street, I'd have a BIG problem with it. And I really can't understand how anyone would think that's no big deal. STAY OUT of other people's property. Not complicated. jmo

Repeatedly entering a neighborhood you don't live in and a vacant property in that neighborhood you have no apparent reason to be in, is weirdly creeping. If someone was doing that in a vacant house on my street, I'd have a BIG problem with it. And I really can't understand how anyone would think that's no big deal. STAY OUT of other people's property. Not complicated. jmo

People are always in my neighborhood. I don't see it as creeping. I have a nice park nearby and the roads are nicely paved-- good for walking and jogging. They don't live here. It is not creepy.

Someone in a house that is not their own is trespassing. Mr. English didn't seem to care too much. In fact, despite people continually entering his property he still did not secure it. The neighbors should have talked to him about keeping his property unsecured if they felt that it was a nuisance. Or, call the county/city if he did not. Many people entered that property and the problem is the owner as well as those going onto the property.

THe issue of people going on the property is a LE issue, not a neighborhood vigilante group issue. The police were called. The police should have handled it. The killers wouldn't be in jail. And, if Mr. English decided to press charges, then anyone caught trespassing would be having their day in court--not being lowered into the ground because of vigilantes who took the law into their own hands.

People are always in my neighborhood. I don't see it as creeping. I have a nice park nearby and the roads are nicely paved-- good for walking and jogging. They don't live here. It is not creepy.

Someone in a house that is not their own is trespassing. Mr. English didn't seem to care too much. In fact, despite people continually entering his property he still did not secure it. The neighbors should have talked to him about keeping his property unsecured if they felt that it was a nuisance. Or, call the county/city if he did not. Many people entered that property and the problem is the owner as well as those going onto the property.

THe issue of people going on the property is a LE issue, not a neighborhood vigilante group issue. The police were called. The police should have handled it. The killers wouldn't be in jail. And, if Mr. English decided to press charges, then anyone caught trespassing would be having their day in court--not being lowered into the ground because of vigilantes who took the law into their own hands.

I can see we'll never ever agree on this. And that's fine. Cheers :)

Facts: 2 armed men in a truck pursued him for aprox 4 minutes. His attempts to get away were unsuccessful. TM had his finger already on the trigger. The two white men initiated the confrontation. TM chose to shoot him.

I'm missing a lot of information. Can you share please where you arrive at the 4 minute pursuit? TIA

Facts: 2 armed men in a truck pursued him for aprox 4 minutes. His attempts to get away were unsuccessful. TM had his finger already on the trigger. The two white men initiated the confrontation. TM chose to shoot him.

I'm missing a lot of information. Can you share please where you arrive at the 4 minute pursuit? TIA

So what would you have done if this was happening on your street?

I think they are public roads, but check out Satilla Shores on google earth/maps. Interesting geography. A small middle class hamlet of five streets, some along the water, across the bridge from Brunswick, which I think tends to be poorer. I get the feeling that some Satilla Shores people didn't like it when outsiders crossed the moat into their territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998