Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I am completely mystified that some people want to return to "normal" when normal is what got us into this mess in the first place.

I want to get back to "normal," but obviously with safeguards like masks, partitions, rules, etc. We don't have a choice. If we don't return to "new normal," then we will get hit so hard with suicide, alcoholism, drugs, ruin, bankruptcy, spousal abuse, violence, robbery, burglary, etc. People are always going to die. We try to minimalize it, using common sense.

We must put power back with the people, not in the hands of a small group of governors, who make arbitrary, capricious decisions, not always based on reality. No one said it is going to be easy, but we have to make this transition back, or we will pay a dear price in other ways. It has to happen sooner than later.

I think we all want to return back to normal, but it unlikely to happen any time soon, unless we get a quality vaccine. Which likely won't happen any time soon either, because of all the trials that need to be done to figure out if vaccine is safe and effective.

Coronavirus: People urged to stay away from UK beaches over bank holiday weekend

With temperatures set to reach highs of 26C (79F) over the bank holiday weekend, councils with responsibility for beaches and beauty spots are warning people to keep away.

Pictures of crowds flocking to beaches in Brighton and Southend in recent days have raised concerns over social distancing.

Following the easing of some lockdown measures last week, there are no restrictions on how far people can travel to get to the countryside, National Parks and beaches in England.

Councillor Carmen Appich, from Brighton & Hove City Council, urged anyone thinking of travelling to the city "to consider very carefully how their journey will impact on others".

Hastings Borough Council said the area is "closed to visitors from outside the town".

Holidaymakers are being told that the "clear advice" from the Isle of Wight Council is they should stay away.

People are similarly being advised not to visit Blackpool and Morecambe Bay to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

After pictures showed crowds at Southend in Essex earlier this week, the council's leader said the easing of lockdown restrictions has put the council in a "very difficult position".

Councillor Ian Gilbert said on Friday: "For many weeks we ran a successful Don't Visit Southend campaign, but the government's lifting of restrictions have put us in a very difficult position as day trips and sunbathing are allowed, and takeaways can be open for business."

"Wish you weren't here!" is Sefton Council in Merseyside's take on the picture postcard message it is sending to people thinking of travelling to its beaches from across the North West.

In Cornwall, council leaders warned there is no lifeguard cover and a large coastal swell and spring tide will bring hazardous sea conditions over the weekend.

Rob Nolan, cabinet member for environment and public protection at Cornwall Council, said people should not be holidaying in Cornwall and must return to their "principle residence" each night.
I think we will have to have a "Don't visit UK" message for a month or two as well.

I think we all want to return back to normal, but it unlikely to happen any time soon, unless we get a quality vaccine. Which likely won't happen any time soon either, because of all the trials that need to be done to figure out if vaccine is safe and effective.

So, we can't get back to normal without a quality vaccine. I am not a medical guy, but aren't there plenty of diseases that kill many people, where we have no vaccine, but we live with the #s, living our normal lives? What is the difference between COVID and these other diseases? The high mortality rate?

When did you predict that 96,000 ? That does look like it may be close. It all depends if the summer reduces the virus naturally at all I think.

ETA already passed that figure, now at 97,655 :-(
according to worldometers.

Sadly, it looks like it will hit 100k before the end of the month.
And, people are acting like this is over. It is not.

Hate sourcing these guys: *clothespin over nose*

What happens if a coronavirus vaccine is never developed? - CNN

What life without a vaccine looks like
If a vaccine can't be produced, life will not remain as it is now. It just might not go back to normal quickly.
"The lockdown is not sustainable economically, and possibly not politically," says Neal. "So we need other things to control it."
That means that, as countries start to creep out of their paralyses, experts would push governments to implement an awkward new way of living and interacting to buy the world time in the months, years or decades until Covid-19 can be eliminated by a vaccine.
"It is absolutely essential to work on being Covid-ready," Nabarro says. He calls for a new "social contract" in which citizens in every country, while starting to go about their normal lives, take personal responsibility to self-isolate if they show symptoms or come into contact with a potential Covid-19 case.

Not yet in PA, but in a few weeks. I would hope elective procedures start back up, or they will go under and people will get furloughed, fired, cut. Did you ever consider people dying from not getting cancer screenings, colonoscopies, cardio appointment, etc? If you take away all the revenue streams, you take jobs and NONCOVID people die too.

Are you from outside the US under a different system?

In New York, they brought in a military ship, and it went mostly unused. They OVERPREPARED.
so true... i keep resheduling my colonoscopy, and it keeps getting postponed... the backup is going to be tremendous in coming months.

Ive told my saga here before about quitting hardware store , Ohio, in March because of age, caring for mom, lack of PPE etc. (no unemployment because this was “essential” work and I was not laid off. Apparently they kept me on as an employee but today received a “return to work or apply for leave” order.
Ohio is, understandably, forcing people to return to get the large percentage of population off unemployment. Fear of returning is not an excuse so I formally quit (although I thought I had already lol). And ofc will still not qualify for unemployment. My “medical and dental benefits will cease” HA! Never had those either being part time.

Can’t see returning. The majority of staff except for the 2 and only full time managers are kids with no hardware experience. Phone rings constantly with online/curbside orders that can’t be fulfilled since inventory is so messed up. The owners have “put into effect” sanitation procedures which there is no time to follow. Staff shares phones, computers. There are no windows to open, air filters haven’t been changed in at least 6 years.Carts aren’t wiped down, restrooms not cleaned. Only staff, not customers need to wear masks.
Some customers are happy about this, they can go about coughing and sneezing and handing the items to the cashier with their cash (awesome). Some customers have threatened to stage a protest outside that all people inside should wear masks.

I liked my little PT job and was good at it but the risks and workload and stress far out way the slightly above minimum wage reward. Oh well
Oh, my, I'm glad you quit. Take care.

When one person can infect numerous people, as soon as you start opening up, the numbers will go up. Because we didn't contain covid, unlike China.

Keep in mind ... a lot of the US is not closed and having to work daily. Healthcare, call centers, LE, Fire, EMS, meat/poultry/snack food/vegetable plants, Amazon, all mail/package /food delivery services, medical manufacturing, LABS that run test, grocery/retail/gas stores, banks/processing centers, Media/newspaper printing and deliver. our farmers/workers, insurance/CMS claims processing centers, the military/national guard, the list is endless. We have thousands that are working everyday and most are forced by employers to confirm to new ways of working.

Somebody has to do these jobs or our future will fail. Yes, as restrictions are lifted we will see arise in cases, especially for those that choose to not conform. Yes, it scared me, for my family/friends, kids going to school, the violence, I worry constantly.

Yes, China did a "better job" of containment, but at a cost. They physically removed folks from their homes, placed in containment centers, armed guards in the streets, physicians and media arrested never to be heard from again. If, the US and other countries resorted to these measures we could see a major revolt, civil unrest and possibily civil wars. Some in a free society will not be suppressed without force/imprisonment.

I so, want to click my heels in the magic red shoes and go home to Auntie Em in Kansas...

MHO...

And, despite trying, after 30 years, there is no vaccine for HIV. So, what are the chances for a COVID-19 vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆