Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Suzanne was involved in the landscaping business (or any of the other businesses shown at their address).

If a landscaping company has a FB page, I have noticed they will post pictures showing off their latest work.
Maybe his was just word of mouth or referrals.
Yep, his buddy who likely got him the job and acts as his intermediary while phone-less. I wonder how he feels now after seeing the search? That a tough spot to be put in.

"Radiant" probably means heat mats embedded in concrete ground floors, and radiant air curtains or electric baseboards with a hot water tube in them, producing very comfortable, quiet, economical whole house house heating in mountain areas. This type of heat system is especially compatible with passive solar architectural features. The propane tank is probably for cooking and hot water heater, belongs to the propane supplier, and is located where it is easiest to pull the fill truck in and park. JMO

My husband is in the building trade. We installed radiant floor heating in many areas of our century home. A propane boiler heated the floors.

I'd say things look pretty bad for BLM at the moment, since it is clear there's been a search in a place he's known to have worked (moving dirt). Pretty suspicious.

All the pacing and looking out windows? Suspicious.

The video? Not as suspicious, but shows a man who seems absolutely terrified, but not particularly grief-stricken. Terrified and in denial about whatever it is that just happened.

JMO
Um...because he was.
And who schedules training on a Sunday....during a pandemic.....on Mother's Day no less. Pretty much nobody.

BM must have known that his account of his whereabouts on May 10 would be checked out. Was reported across multiple MSM sites that he'd said he was in Denver attending a fire-training session. See, for example:

"Suzanne’s husband Barry Morphew, 52, has said he was away on a training course for his job as a volunteer firefighter in Denver, Colorado, when she vanished.

On Sunday, he made an impassioned plea for his wife’s safe return in a video released via social media. He has also offered a $200,000 reward."

Quote from Daily Mail and multiple other sites

I don't think ground penetrating sonar or radar imaging work very well when under slab insulation and/or reinforcing steel mesh are covering the target(s). IMO
This is intriguing. If, as you say, these imaging devices aren't very useful detection tools in this set-up (underneath slab insulation, steel mesh, etc), it begs the question, how else might LE have homed in on the particular area that they cut out of the concrete? I suppose one possibility is that someone close to the case could have informed them about a specific location in the concrete to target. Curious about other possibilities ... are there any other high-tech tools that would work in this situation?

I just wish we knew the condition of the bike... o_O

Yep, I’m back to the bike.

We don’t even have a clue about which day she disappeared, unless I missed something.

I think the location and condition of the bike is VERY important.
We've heard reports of it being by a bridge. There are three bridges.........one is a road bridge on CR 225 crossing the S. Arkansas River just below the intersection with US 50. It is visible in the drone-like helicopter footage taken By Channel 4 Denver right after the search ended. If the bicycle had been found there, it would appear as if she was heading away from the house toward somewhere when she became separated from it, but the Ch. 4 video shows no evidence tags on or anywhere near that bridge. The second bridge is also a road bridge, over Fooses Creek on CR 225 below the dam. Since CR 225 only leads to the dam at this spot, if the bicycle had been left there it would appear like she was returning toward her house after her ride. The third bridge is a foot bridge over upper Fooses Creek, on the descent bike trail. It is essentially a high speed, dangerous bicycle bridge, with one way traffic going down (in the direction of her house after completing a ride). Today, we heard scuttlebutt that the bike was found i n a ravine. That third bridge (called Fooses Dam Bridge) is the only one located in a ravine. The Colorado trail, which winds for a good portion along the power line clear cut and/or CR 226, is heavily used by hikers and sightseers, and is very near the mountain bike descent trail at the bridge. Again, if she was separated from her bike at this bridge, she would have been returning to her house at the end of her ride. It is highly unlikely that a perp would have carried bike with locked wheels all the way up Colorado trail to the Fooses Dam Bridge, but it is very likely that a perp could have driven to the road bridge and dumped the bike quickly. IMO

The attached Google Earth Aerial View was generated entirely by Google tools, and shows the location of all three bridges and their relationship to SM's house. The red circle indicates the extent of the second day (big) search, as described by the sheriff in a news conference. I believe it was early in this search when the bike when rumors of a bike being found first arose.

Attachments

• SM Locations - Monarch Pass.jpg
    SM Locations - Monarch Pass.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 66
Sorry if this has already been posted (I haven't seen it )

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE

May 23, 2020
Update: There are no new developments on May 23, 2020.

A search being conducted at a residence on the east side of Salida in connection with the Suzanne Morphew missing person case has concluded for the day. Investigators with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, CBI and FBI plan to return to the site to continue the search on Sunday, May 24, 2020.

To date, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office reports that Ms. Morphew has not been located and there have been no arrests in the investigation.

Original Release from May 22

Based on information developed during the Suzanne Morphew missing person case, investigators with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are conducting a search at a residential property on the east side of the Salida.

The property owner is fully cooperative with law enforcement and is not connected with the disappearance of Ms. Morphew. No details about the search are being released at this time. Additionally, it is not known how long this search will take law enforcement.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

BBM --- Will be searching still tomorrow it seems.

This is intriguing. If, as you say, these imaging devices aren't very useful detection tools in this set-up (underneath slab insulation, steel mesh, etc), it begs the question, how else might LE have homed in on the particular area that they cut out of the concrete? I suppose one possibility is that someone close to the case could have informed them about a specific location in the concrete to target. Curious about other possibilities ... are there any other high-tech tools that would work in this situation?

Excellent question, but I can't answer it. I believe the square hole was a design feature of the slab. It's only use to LE appears to me to be the best place to pound tent states required to erect the tent. That made the floor mats that they brought along useless, so they were tossed out on the concrete pad until time to pack up and go. IMO

Sorry if this has already been posted (I haven't seen it )

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE

May 23, 2020
Update: There are no new developments on May 23, 2020.

A search being conducted at a residence on the east side of Salida in connection with the Suzanne Morphew missing person case has concluded for the day. Investigators with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, CBI and FBI plan to return to the site to continue the search on Sunday, May 24, 2020.

To date, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office reports that Ms. Morphew has not been located and there have been no arrests in the investigation.

Original Release from May 22

Based on information developed during the Suzanne Morphew missing person case, investigators with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are conducting a search at a residential property on the east side of the Salida.

The property owner is fully cooperative with law enforcement and is not connected with the disappearance of Ms. Morphew. No details about the search are being released at this time. Additionally, it is not known how long this search will take law enforcement.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

BBM --- Will be searching still tomorrow it seems.
So they'll be out there Sunday too. They sure are putting a great many man hours into this search. I hope it leads to finding Suzanne.

As an architect, I’ve been involved in projects where portable x-ray equipment was used to identify reinforcing bars in concrete. Such equipment can be brought into the field to find out what’s hidden inside concrete and underneath. I think it might be possible to understand disturbances under the slab with x-ray equipment. As noted previously, GPR may be less useful with a slab crowded with reinforcing and radiant heating cables over insulation. There are also thermal imaging systems that can be helpful.

<modsnip>

We were told by the media and LE that SM disappeared on Mother’s Day.

Then we were told it might have been earlier.

We were told SM was last seen going on a bike ride.

Then we were told she wasn’t seen on her bike.

We were told BM was at a volunteer firefighter training.

Then we were told he was landscaping?

We were told they weren’t searching the house.

But they did start searching the house.

This case is frustrating to follow because LE and the media put out contradictory statements, but why? Why make a statement or report something unless it’s true!?

Maybe it’s a Covid-19 thing, crimes/LE/media are being affected now, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused about the page. How can someone change the beneficiary? I mean for it to go from helping to find suzanne to Berry's mom is just not right. We don't know what happened to Suzanne yet or who was invloved but some of us and some others have opinions. Does anyone know how that works? Can you just change a beneficiary like that? What if people didn't want to donate to his mom?

My husband is in the building trade. We installed radiant floor heating in many areas of our century home. A propane boiler heated the floors.
So the a propane water heater heats the water, which is then piped throughout the house in a closed system? That is a very high quality radiant system, and could well be what is in SM's house. IMO

Not just a landscaping job... but, a landscaping job in Denver.
So... no matter what BLM actually did that day... it was supposed to have taken place in Denver. If he was at the construction job the FBI is now searching... that will look very bad for BLM.
I am speculating he left a wood chipper at a random landscaping site unassociated with him. In "Denver". This would be a variation on "landscaping job in Denver." No one would think twice if he headed to a jobsite with a wood chipper; with my speculation, though, he didn't come home with it.

Last edited:
I am confused about the ******** page. How can someone change the beneficiary? I mean for it to go from helping to find suzanne to Berry's mom is just not right. We don't know what happened to Suzanne yet or who was invloved but some of us and some others have opinions. Does anyone know how that works? Can you just change a beneficiary like that? What if people didn't want to donate to his mom?
I promise I wasn't cussing... I didn't know we can't mention that page. I think y'all know what I am asking about!

As an architect, I’ve been involved in projects where portable x-ray equipment was used to identify reinforcing bars in concrete. Such equipment can be brought into the field to find out what’s hidden inside concrete and underneath. I think it might be possible to understand disturbances under the slab with x-ray equipment. As noted previously, GPR may be less useful with a slab crowded with reinforcing and radiant heating cables over insulation. There are also thermal imaging systems that can be helpful.
Can any of them be pushed back and forth across the concrete by a single person, like a lawnmower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288