New York - Coronavirus COVID-19

I wore a mask for the first time about a month ago. I'm in NYC and have emphysema. I live in a 23-story building, and ran into a good friend in the elevator. He was teasing me about the mask, but I told him that I had to go to the supermarket and since I'm 62 with COPD, I couldn't take the chance. I had worn the mask for approximately one minute at the time, and pulled it down to talk to him. But truthfully, I felt kind of stupid and also found it uncomfortable and difficult to breathe. He told me that his wife (my friend for 30+ years) was begging him to wear a mask, because she is homebound and has severe asthma. Then he told me that he just will not wear a mask (very few in my neighborhood were wearing it then). He works with an optician, has to deal with customers and has to do all the running around because his wife is homebound. It was too inconvenient and silly.
Yesterday, his wife died. She was also 62. He is a good guy who has taken care of his wife for years, and took care of his son when he was young, too. He is pierced to the marrow in case he brought something home to her. It hasn't been determined yet if she had Covid. She only spent two days in the hospital and he doesn't appear to be ill. She wasn't a well person to begin with, so it may be something else that killed her. But every time I think about how maybe it would be different had he worn a mask....
Please, everyone, don't give up on the precautions. One never knows.

I'm bringing my own quote over from the general Coronavirus thread, because it more uniquely applies to those of us in NYC and other places where elevators and lobbies are more common.

This link was posted on the general thread and I thought it should be here too:

Coronavirus in New York: A paramedic's diary

'Like 9/11 every day': A New York paramedic's diary

I cried reading it. Especially when I got to this part:

The seventh call gets to me.

We walk in and there's a woman on the floor. I see this woman doing CPR on her mother. She tells me she stopped breathing and had "the symptoms".

We go to work to try and save her. As the medics are doing their thing I walk over to the daughter and she tells me how it all went down. She says her mum has been sick for the last few days. They couldn't get a test but think she had "it".

I ask "are you the only family here?" She says yes but you guys were here on Thursday and worked on my dad. He had the symptoms as well. He passed away.

She looks numb.

I go back into the other room and hope that the medic will tell me there are signs of life. She looks up and I know the look after 17 years. The medic's eyes say no.

So now I have to tell the daughter that both her parents are dead in a matter of three days.

Her dad's not even buried yet. So this woman is going to have a double funeral, if she's lucky enough to get a funeral, because funerals aren't happening right now.

After that call I go outside and the cool air is what I need. We sit for a minute to try and recoup but we all feel it. Funny, we don't discuss it much. Medics tend to do that.

We have to get ready for the next one. We hit the button.

:(

Covid-19 Contact Tracing

Gov. Cuomo put out a call for volunteers to help with contact tracing for people exposed to the virus who live in the tri-state area. I can’t think of a better group of people to help with this, which requires a degree of detective work. He just said Mike Bloomberg has offered to coordinate this effort, including training.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he will direct insurers to waive copays and deductibles on mental health services for essential workers.

"The mental health services will be free for front-line workers," he said. "There is no cost to get mental health services."

The state is partnering with Kate Spade New York Foundation and Crisis Text Line to provide emotional support services for “frontline healthcare heroes,” he said.

US coronavirus update: Some states have partially reopened

New York City deliberately shut down its subway system for the first time ever early today

For the first time in its history, New York City deliberately shut down its entire subway system early this morning.

The cleanings will now be done on a nightly basis, from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.

US coronavirus update: Latest on cases, deaths and reopening

JetBlue is donating pairs of roundtrip flight certificates for 10,000 healthcare workers at the Mount Sinai Health System, including their Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island campuses, as well as at NYC Health + Hospitals, the largest public healthcare system in the United States with more than 70 locations across the city’s five boroughs.

JetBlue is now calling on customers to thank the healthcare heroes in their life – from doctors and nurses, to pharmacists, therapists, social workers, public health administrators and more – by nominating them for a chance to receive one of 90,000 pairs of roundtrip flight certificates for two to use when the time is right. Starting today through May 15, 2020, customers can submit a brief description of why they are nominating their healthcare hero. For more information and full terms, please visit jetblue.com/healthcarehero.

Info found here: JetBlue to Honor 100,000 Healthcare Workers with Pairs of Roundtrip Flight Certificates

JetBlue will also bring the Clap Because We Care movement to the skies with a three aircraft, low altitude flyover salute above New York City tomorrow at 7 p.m. ET.

NYC-Flyover-Social-Content_050420_694372_IG-Tailfin.jpg

Every night, New Yorkers take to the streets at 7 p.m. to applaud the efforts of healthcare and essential workers near and far. Tomorrow, JetBlue will take the Clap Because We Care movement to new heights by flying its three New York-themed liveries at a low altitude over the Big Apple during the evening clap. The aircraft, I Heart Blue York, co-branded in partnership with Empire State Development with the I LOVE NY; Blue Finest, dedicated to the New York Police Department; and Blue Bravest, honoring the Fire Department of New York, will make an appearance over New York City between 7-8 p.m. tomorrow evening.

The flyover is being operated at no cost to JetBlue. The airline thanks its partners at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, JetBlue Air Line Pilots Association, CarbonFund.org and a fuel provider. JetBlue also thanks NYC Emergency Management, as well as the Federal Aviation Administration for their incredible logistics support to make these flights happen, on top of all of their support of JetBlue during this pandemic.

JetBlue to Honor 100,000 Healthcare Workers with Pairs of Roundtrip Flight Certificates

New York must meet these 7 Andrew Cuomo criteria to reopen amid coronavirus

The seven COVID-19-related benchmarks tied to New York state coronavirus statistics that the Empire State’s 10 regions need to hit to restart their economies include:
  • A 14-day drop in hospitalizations, or fewer than 15 new admissions in a three-day rolling average
  • A 14-day decline in hospital deaths, or fewer than five total deaths across a three-day rolling average
  • A rate of new hospitalizations below two per 100,000 residents, across a three-day rolling average
  • At least 30 percent of total hospital beds unoccupied
  • At least 30 percent of ICU hospital beds unoccupied
  • At least 30 tests for every 1,000 residents per month
  • At least 30 contact tracers retained per 100,000 residents

<snip> Free of Charge Face Coverings

New York City will continue distributing face coverings in parks across the city free of charge through Tuesday, May 12th. Use the map below to find the closest Parks distribution location, date, and time.

All New Yorkers are required to wear a mask or face covering when out in public and in situations where a 6-foot distance from others cannot be maintained.

People with disabilities and seniors who are unable to go out can request face coverings by emailing PPERequest@mopd.nyc.gov.

Face Coverings - Coronavirus

New York must meet these 7 Andrew Cuomo criteria to reopen amid coronavirus

The seven COVID-19-related benchmarks tied to New York state coronavirus statistics that the Empire State’s 10 regions need to hit to restart their economies include:
  • A 14-day drop in hospitalizations, or fewer than 15 new admissions in a three-day rolling average
  • A 14-day decline in hospital deaths, or fewer than five total deaths across a three-day rolling average
  • A rate of new hospitalizations below two per 100,000 residents, across a three-day rolling average
  • At least 30 percent of total hospital beds unoccupied
  • At least 30 percent of ICU hospital beds unoccupied
  • At least 30 tests for every 1,000 residents per month
  • At least 30 contact tracers retained per 100,000 residents

Until last night’s report, coronavirus fatalities in Suffolk County had been climbing at an average of 28 daily deaths for the past week – about half the previous peak of 62 new deaths reported in early April.

In yesterday’s updated data, New York City reported 298 new deaths, more than twice the 129 deaths reported the previous day. Nassau County reported 75 new deaths in the new data, compared to 29 from the previous day.

The new data represents a 497% increase in fatalities in Suffolk County over the day before, a 158% increase in Nassau County, a 131% increase in New York City and a 314% increase statewide.

It is not clear whether this sharp increase is the result of some kind of retrospective adjustment beyond the explanation of new nursing home deaths provided in the state’s Covid-19 tracker.

Suffolk's coronavirus death toll leaps by 227, New York State's by 952 | RiverheadLOCAL

welp, I guess downstate won't be opening for at least 14 more days.

New York Dept. of Health to conduct genome sequencing, Gov. Cuomo says

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said New York State Department of Health is partnering with the New York Genome Center and the Rockefeller University to conduct a genome and RNA sequencing study to better understand the virus.

“We still have a lot to learn about this virus," Cuomo said.

This research will help the state learn more about why young children are getting sick with a coronavirus-related illness that does not present the typical respiratory symptoms.

"The Department of Health is doing everything that they can do. I think it's fair to say that the New York State Department of Health is the first one that has been on this situation. And again, working with the CDC and whatever we find out we'll not only share with the public but we'll also share with other states and other hospital systems," Cuomo said.

“Thank you, thank you,” said a tearful Fey, the host of the Rise Up New York! event Monday evening. The Emmy-winning actress along with other A-list celebrities from Barbara Streisand, Jennifer Lopez and Michael Strahan asked for donations to help relief and recovery efforts.

“Our city is under attack, but we’ve been here before,” Robert De Niro said. “In the last 20 years, both 9/11 and Hurricane Sandy. You can take your best shot but you cannot break our spirit.”
Telethon Raises $115M for New Yorkers Impacted by COVID-19

Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York has issued a new executive order extending “New York State on PAUSE” to May 28. The statewide stay-at-home order, which also closed non-essential businesses and banned social gatherings, initially began in March and was scheduled to expire today.

“Both travel-related cases and community contact transmission of Covid-19 have been documented in New York State and are expected to continue,” Cuomo said in the order.

The new order also extends Cuomo’s emergency powers until June 13, “unless later extended or amended by a future Executive Order.”

Cuomo extends NY coronavirus shutdown to May 28 as some regions begin reopening

The governor says five regions – Central New York, North Country, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier and Mohawk Valley – can begin Phase One of reopening Friday.

The five remaining regions, which include Western New York, the Capital District and New York City, are all in the “red” with four or five benchmarks met as of Friday morning.

Coronavirus In New York: Gov. Andrew Cuomo Extends Stay-At-Home Order Until June 13 – CBS New York

___

“Phase one we’re talking about construction, manufacturing and select retail with curbside pick up,” Cuomo said.

Finance and professional services would be next, then restaurants and hotels, and entertainment and education are last.

“Remember density is not your friend here. Large gatherings are not your friend,” Cuomo said.

But first, regions have to meet a stringent set of requirements which includes

For a region to reopen, it must:
  • According to CDC guidelines, a region has to have at least 14 days of decline in total hospitalizations and deaths on a three day rolling average
  • Regions with few COVID-19 cases can not have 15 new cases or five deaths on a three day rolling average
  • A region must have fewer than two new COVID-19 patients per 100,000 residents per day
  • Hospitals can’t be filled to more than 70% capacity – including ICU beds – leaving 30% available in the event of a surge
  • All hospitals must have a 90 day stockpile of PPE
  • There must be 30 tests per 1,000 residents ready to go
  • Regions must have 30 contact tracers for every 100,000 residents, with additional tracers available based on the projected number of cases in the region
  • A risk/reward analysis of which businesses can reopen, with most essential businesses with lowest risk being prioritized
    • Phase 1: Construction, manufacturing and wholesale supply chain, select retail with curbside pickup
    • Phase 2: Professional services, finance and insurance, retail administrative support, real estate/rental leasing
    • Phase 3: Restaurants/food services, hotels/accommodations
    • Phase 4: Arts, entertainment, recreation, education
  • Businesses must adjust their practices to ensure a safe work environment and track cases
  • There will be a regional “control room” to monitor progress

Last edited:
Cuomo aide: Crowd at LI bar 'stupid' for not wearing masks

This is disgusting. I work for a small business, I know how badly this is all effecting communities. But really? Come on Dublin deck. It’s a crappy bar with apparently crappy patrons. The video in the link has since been deleted from reddit, but there are multiple posts on the Long Island subreddit with videos from the bar.

I assume the patrons are the same type of people who are complaining about still being shut down. As if behavior like this will speed things up. What arrogant morons. Smh.

Cuomo put Covid 19 patients in nursing homes and killed 4600. I hardly think he has room to talk.

Cuomo aide: Crowd at LI bar 'stupid' for not wearing masks

This is disgusting. I work for a small business, I know how badly this is all effecting communities. But really? Come on Dublin deck. It’s a crappy bar with apparently crappy patrons. The video in the link has since been deleted from reddit, but there are multiple posts on the Long Island subreddit with videos from the bar.

I assume the patrons are the same type of people who are complaining about still being shut down. As if behavior like this will speed things up. What arrogant morons. Smh.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back