Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surge coming I fear. Many in the younger generations have not experienced a severe recession/depression so they have no worries. And, many have not yet figured out jobs hit by coronavirus will have a different look and may not be returning. While I hope for the best, I still think this disease will have a second coming, and high unemployment will again hit. Looks like many are completely unaware and unprepared. Then, maybe I'm over-reacting.

As the adage goes, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst MOO

That's what I've been doing since late Jan/Feb.

Yesterday I was in tears though.

Since February, I moved all my flowering plants (lots!) from the backyard to the front yard so I could quarantine at home, yet work in my yard with pots and replanting. And converse with folks walking by and have them pick flowers with children. Met more neighbors than ever before! It's been fabulous!

I had a neighbor share with me yesterday that my yard had too much, perhaps was tacky.. and not allowed.

I was so upset yesterday after it happened I took all of my potted flowers that folks pick etc.. and moved 30 flowers in pots to my backyard in tears that it was perhaps against HOA/POA rules for such, and didn't want to get the letter from the HOA she mentioned.

I was crying and so depressed that my ONE thing that keeps me going during my quarantine keeps me going to be in the yard 3-4 hours a day.

Woke up this am determined to stand up. I had not gotten a letter, she was the only person that thought might be "tacky".... so I wrote a letter with prior photos of my yard with the pots and flowers in the last 3 months that were there until yesterday, asking for approval from the HOA board and committee - although I had never gotten a "letter"

DANG IT... don't be like me and be taken down by others that take your joy in life during this.

I will overcome... yet will wait a couple of weeks to put back out all my pots and flowers in the front.

It.Gives.Me.Joy

Last edited:
Memorial Day even more poignant as veterans die from virus

ATLANTA (AP) — One was a 94-year-old veteran of World War II who was the first of his 11 brothers to enlist in the military. One was a Vietnam veteran who lost his leg overseas and was always touched when people thanked him for his service. Another was drafted into the military at 18 and was awarded a Purple Heart.

'I'm looking for the truth': States face criticism for COVID-19 data cover-ups

Another article today, discussing how some of the states have mislead in the data they are presenting to the public. Georgia, in particular, FL, AZ and others. Why CDC is not more clear to get this stuff straight is also a head scratcher... we really do deserve to know what the accurate data is....

In one of Dr. John Campbell's video's from Saturday, he outlines cities/states in the US that he projects as new hot spots. Not always sure where he gets his data...but he has been pretty accurate all the way through this. we shall see....
Hot Spots:
Alabama
Dallas
Houston
Tennessee
Florida

Since February, I moved all my flowering plants (lots!) from the backyard to the front yard so I could quarantine at home, yet work in my yard with pots and replanting. And converse with folks walking by and have them pick flowers with children. Met more neighbors than ever before! It's been fabulous!

I had a neighbor share with me yesterday that my yard had too much, perhaps was tacky.. and not allowed.

I was so upset yesterday after it happened I took all of my potted flowers that folks pick etc.. and moved 30 flowers in pots to my backyard in tears that it was perhaps against HOA/POA rules for such, and didn't want to get the letter from the HOA she mentioned.

I was crying and so depressed that my ONE thing that keeps me going during my quarantine keeps me going to be in the yard 3-4 hours a day.

Woke up this am determined to stand up. I had not gotten a letter, she was the only person that thought might be "tacky".... so I wrote a letter with prior photos of my yard with the pots and flowers in the last 3 months that were there until yesterday, asking for approval.

DANG IT... don't be like me and be taken down by others that take your joy in life during this.

I will overcome... yet will wait a couple of weeks to put back out all my pots and flowers in the front.

It.Gives.Me.Joy

People are so mean. I hope you march out there and put those beautiful flowers right back where you had them. Karen needs to pull her panties out of her rear. Jmo

Woke up this am determined to stand up. I had not gotten a letter, she was the only person that thought might be "tacky".... so I wrote a letter with prior photos of my yard with the pots and flowers in the last 3 months that were there until yesterday, asking for approval from the HOA board and committee - although I had never gotten a "letter"

It.Gives.Me.Joy
You enjoy them! My garden is my happy place. Dont let one sour jealous person spoil it for you

Woke up this am determined to stand up. I had not gotten a letter, she was the only person that thought might be "tacky".... so I wrote a letter with prior photos of my yard with the pots and flowers in the last 3 months that were there until yesterday, asking for approval.

It.Gives.Me.Joy

Had I been in your shoes I think she'd have been picking herself up off the ground if not for social distancing. I know that's not the right attitude but sometimes you just have to push back. If you get approval to put them back, buy some more and add to them. Just a little :p

It.Gives.Me.Joy
wow!!! I am certainly doing the same thing that you are doing!!!! Hours and hours every single day in my yard, gardens, dirt. I have a few acres and no HOA.....so I can do whatever I want. But I had ignored everything for the previous 18 months, before and after my husband died.......so I had pots everywhere, broken ones, faded out ones....especially in the front of my property. So the first thing I did was paint all my pots; But I decided to move everything to the back of my property!! Much larger fenced in area for my pup...so I am planting every climbing vegetable I can at the bottom of all these fences, as well as every pot!! Creativity and Growth....... a must right now. I "see" your pots out front soon!!!! It. Absolutely. Gives. Us. Joy.... Love in the Time of Covid.

Thank you, so much for this article!!!! I learn so much from you. I. bet you are a fabulous teacher and well admired !!!! Your unique ability to breakdown highly technical information for me ..the average lay person, is superb!!!

I thank you!!

Thank you! In rereading what I wrote, I realized I should have said there is one tiny difference between DNA and RNA that makes RNA smaller. But the two fit together like hand in glove.

BTW, your post on Virginia has had me sitting here for 10 minutes, just pondering. I figured there were some states/counties that were not doing their absolute best at counting cases, but it's shocking to hear about packing plants (the snack factory) and call centers, where cases are so high.

It must be really frustrating to watch cases and deaths go up and so little testing done - please stay safe!

And what's up with Virginia adding almost 1500 new cases? Is this catch up?

United States Coronavirus: 1,688,709 Cases and 99,348 Deaths - Worldometer

Who knows, its daily "funny numbers" game.

The state is split into three. Northern VA complying their own numbers, press conferences, major testing, and NOT open. The Eastern/southern coast, wide open for business, drive by testing and major outbreaks in the chicken plants. The entire middle to western part, is wide open, has major outbreaks, testing only by doctor order, <.05% testing, major outbreaks in food plants, a large chicken plant, NH without point prevalence testing.

Oh, and notice we have 1000s of test of "out of town" and city county "unknown", counted in total number of tested but not in the number of positive.

Who knows .....

Last edited:
It is interesting to talk to my kids and their friends, all in their 20's. They all feel like their lives have "stopped", and not sure what to do next.
1. One planned on graduate school next year. Not sure what will happen, if it is worth starting.
2. Another planned trips to South America, with a season spent working at a ski resort. That plan is stalled.
3. My son decided to just shelve his career as a chef, for now.

Weddings, buying a house, changing jobs, planning a baby, traveling, all stopped for now. I feel for those kids.

@dixiegirl1035 mean people...I say put as many pots outside in your front yard as possible. And get a few pink flamingos too. I have a gnome with his pants down on our front porch...a silly gift for my husband, who looks like a gnome anyway, get one of those too! Kiss My Grits!

Last edited:
The US this weekend seems like party city USA. I fear we are in for a resurgence unlike we've never seen before. Also seems like the younger generation absolutely does not care about those who have given much to society. Instead of partying, they should recognize Memorial Day for what it is: a time to remember veterans who have died to keep them safe and free.
I wish the media would show the youngers who are taking it seriously but they can't because those kids are in their houses and yards social distancing. I think there are a lot of them but we don't see them. I've got 5 grandchildren ages 13 - 16. They haven't left their property since mid March. They haven't seen any of their friends or family. My 21 year old grandson is social distancing while he repairs electrical problems in people's homes. My 19 year old granddaughter is social distancing while serving our country in the Air Force. I'm proud of them.

IMO plenty are out there doing the right thing we just don't see them. We're only seeing the actions of (I hope) the minority of their generation.

It.Gives.Me.Joy

I would like to give that mean neighbour a piece of my mind, but instead I will *try to* feel compassion for them. Can you imagine what a desperately sad, small life they must lead to enjoy making somebody unhappy? Enjoy your beautiful plants, @dixiegirl1035 - don’t let one person bring you down. ❤️

Due to the holiday, reporting by every county and state is not available today, but US deaths yesterday dropped below 1000 (to 612, with almost 20,000 new cases). I'm hoping that the upcoming week consistently sees deaths below 1000, nationwide. But I'm worried that the case number will continue to climb.

It's going to be a different demographic, over the next month or two. I think the very elderly in nursing homes are a bit safer than they were at the beginning of this crisis, and many nursing homes still have strict rules on who can visit, etc. I think healthcare workers now have PPE most places, and that the case load is lower, so they will have more time to suit up and to follow procedures. There's less intubation than before, which is a risk to the doctors that do it.

Many of the newer cases in SoCal are being sent home to convalesce, mostly in the under-50 age group. It's worrying that on May 21, we have our second highest day of new cases in California, as we begin opening up. The tool I'm using doesn't have total data for May 22-24.

If the US has a whole has about 20,000 new cases a day, it'll be interesting to see if the overall mortality changes (as the patients will, I think, be younger and therefore it stands to reason fewer deaths).

But as @HongKongPhooey says, this disease is no joke. In those states where testing is already low, we may never know exactly what the longterm consequences for health may be in younger people.

(I'm using worldometer for data)

So...what is this secondary phenomena we're seeing? Where people are fighting, shooting at each other, blocking traffic on purpose, going places in higher numbers than usual even for Memorial day - and now this kind of stuff?

Too many people, no preparedness for unprecedented wave of people out in public?

It's amazing and fascinating and in two weeks we'll know a lot about the effects of this weekend. Heck - by Tuesday-Wednesday, we may see hospitalizations go up.

We are seeing that already, in Texas (Houston area). There were pictures of early "opening up" doings in the region.
It's called ignorance IMO.

Last edited:
"Egypt's top medical union on Monday warned of a "complete collapse" of the country's health system, accusing the health ministry of negligence in failing to protect healthcare workers from coronavirus.

"The syndicate is warning that the health system could completely collapse, leading to a catastrophe affecting the entire country if the health ministry's negligence and lack of action towards medical staff is not rectified," the Egyptian Medical Syndicate said in a statement.

COVID-19 has killed 19 doctors and infected more than 350, according to the EMS, a body representing thousands of Egyptian doctors.

"The EMS holds the health ministry entirely responsible for the mounting deaths and infections among doctors due to its negligence... that is tantamount to death through a dereliction of duty," it added."

Top Egypt medical union warns of health system 'collapse' - France 24

I would like to give that mean neighbour a piece of my mind, but instead I will *try to* feel compassion for them. Can you imagine what a desperately sad, small life they must lead to enjoy making somebody unhappy? Enjoy your beautiful plants, @dixiegirl1035 - don’t let one person bring you down. ❤️
Jealous of your beautiful plants and the attention they and you were getting probably @dixiegirl1035 so take no notice.

It.Gives.Me.Joy

Sounds like you have a bitter, cruel neighbor (we had one too - we got a note that one of our low creeping plants was about 3-4 inches onto the sidewalk and destroying her ability to walk on this 3 foot wide area). It looked better being "natural" and not hacked back to the sidewalk line, but we did comply. But now we do focus more on the backyard.

Most people here have been turning their front yards into lava rock and gravel, with a few succulents or cacti. We live on rich riverine soil and once a tree is established, it needs little water. I find all the gravel that is now on the sidewalk to be more of a hazard that a plant with tiny leaves that barely touches the sidewalk, but...some people just like to spoil things.

There are several people whose cars and/or trailer hitches are way out into the sidewalk, to the point that people in wheelchairs can't use the most convenient path to the store. Most of the people doing this park their cars right at 5 pm, when parking enforcement ends and move them in the morning when they go to work. Since CoVid, the cars are there most of the time. So most people walk on our side of the street - and we get lots of compliments about our wildflowers and our redwoods.

Snarky people just can't help themselves. I hope you get to put your pots back soon - and it's awful that this person "shared" with you (you told the story so politely!) As my granddaughter would say, "She's just jealous."

It is interesting to talk to my kids and their friends, all in their 20's. They all feel like their lives have "stopped", and not sure what to do next.
1. One planned on graduate school next year. Not sure what will happen, if it is worth starting.
2. Another planned trips to South America, with a season spent working at a ski resort. That plan is stalled.
3. My son decided to just shelve his career as a chef, for now.

Weddings, buying a house, changing jobs, planning a baby, traveling, all stopped for now. I feel for those kids.

@dixiegirl1035 mean people...I say put as many pots outside in your front yard as possible. And get a few pink flamingos too. I have a gnome with his pants down on our front porch...a silly gift for my husband, who looks like a gnome anyway, get one of those too! Kiss My Grits!

I too feel so badly for the young people. My daughter has no word about whether or not student teaching in her credential program will be allowed in Fall. Probably not. It's the last thing she has to do before she can get a real job teaching. She's trying to be a trooper and not complain, but it's been a long road for her and she is so motivated to get it done.

Yeah, ski resort would scare me as a place of employment next winter. And all those college kids who used to spend summers in the national parks...will there be jobs for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks