Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus: All non-essential retail shops can reopen in England from 15 June, PM says

High street shops have been given the green light to start reopening from next week by Boris Johnson as he tries to ease lockdown amid a huge public row over his top adviser.

The prime minister said outdoor markets and showrooms will be able to start trading again in England from 1 June - so long as they keep customers safe.

Plans for all other non-essential retailers - including shops selling clothes, shoes, toys, furniture, books, and electronics, plus tailors, auction houses, photography studios, and indoor markets - can follow suit two weeks later, from 15 June.

Employers will face "spot checks" to make sure they are implementing social distancing and been told to complete a risk assessment after consultation with trade unions and workers.

Firms have been told to consider a number of measures to reassure customers and staff, including:

• Placing a poster in their windows to demonstrate awareness of the guidance
  • Storing returned items for 72 hours before putting them back out on the shop floor
  • Placing protective coverings on large items touched by the public such as beds or sofas
  • Cleaning frequently objects and surfaces that are touched regularly, including self-checkouts, trolleys, coffee machines and betting terminals
Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced the measures at the Downing Street news conference on Monday, nine weeks into the strict "stay at home" measures.

I use the tap feature, too, especially now. The only problem AFAIK is that it is restricted to purchases less than 50 or 100 bucks. That's so someone doesn't steal your card and go on a spending spree, I suppose. I thought under these circumstances they may have lifted that restriction. I don't know first hand since it's been a while since I've tried to tap a purchase over $100.

it's $100 for my bank per transaction with a cumulative limit of $300, and Mastercard & Visa raised their tap limits to $250 during Covid

How do you maintain this extremely limited lifestyle for several more months, years perhaps without going somewhere?

How will we know who these people are? No symptoms but spreaders of the virus? And heaven forbid we should ask one of them to wear a mask.

What if it is my mom’s hair stylist?
The young man at the cash register?
Or a family member of the aide that comes in my parents house?
I hear you. This is a bad situation all the way around. But it's not forever. It will end. We just have to do the best we can to make sure we're among the people still standing when it does.

My personal plan is to delay infection until there is good treatment or herd immunity or vaccine, whichever comes first.

How do you maintain this extremely limited lifestyle for several more months, years perhaps without going somewhere?

How will we know who these people are? No symptoms but spreaders of the virus? And heaven forbid we should ask one of them to wear a mask.

What if it is my mom’s hair stylist?
The young man at the cash register?
Or a family member of the aide that comes in my parents house?
We need access to the N95 masks. I know they aren't 100% protection but they're pretty darn close. If we all had them I think we could go out occasionally without the fear we have without them. Obviously there's places and people we should avoid with or without an N95 but I really think it would help us to get out when we need to.

'A significant milestone': There are no new confirmed deaths from Covid-19 in Ireland today

TODAY IS THE first day since mid-March that there hasn’t been a confirmed death in Ireland from Covid-19.

The latest figures were provided in the daily update from the Department of Health.

The first death from Covid-19 was reported in Ireland on 11 March. Since then, 1,606 people have sadly lost their lives from the virus.

The last day when no death was reported here was 21 March.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said that we had reached a “significant milestone” today and that it was a “day of hope”.

The number of deaths continued to rise sharply along with confirmed cases until mid-to-late April when these figures began to stabilise.

In a statement, the department said that a further 59 cases of coronavirus have also been confirmed here, bringing the total number of cases to 24,698.

Last week, chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan said that the virus had been “effectively extinguished from the community” as the Irish public had adhered to the Covid-19 restrictions in place since March.

Speaking this evening, Holohan said that the zero deaths being reported today is “consistent with our overall pattern of reduction”.

they don't have 'tap' there yet?
that way you're the only one touching your card and you don't sign for anything

I'm confused as to why the US still has people using pens to sign for card purchases. I always assumed, as Visa and Mastercard are American companies, that you'd be way ahead with the technology. I haven't used a pen in a shop for probably 15 years.

This article is from 2014:
Why is the US a decade behind Europe on 'chip and pin' cards? | Heather Long

We need access to the N95 masks. I know they aren't 100% protection but they're pretty darn close. If we all had them I think we could go out occasionally without the fear we have without them. Obviously there's places and people we should avoid with or without an N95 but I really think it would help us to get out when we need to.
My fear is that I come in contact with someone and bring it home to the ones that are in my care.

I'm confused as to why the US still has people using pens to sign for card purchases. I always assumed, as Visa and Mastercard are American companies, that you'd be way ahead with the technology. I haven't used a pen in a shop for probably 15 years.

This article is from 2014:
Why is the US a decade behind Europe on 'chip and pin' cards? | Heather Long
I have to type in my pin if the purchase is over a certain amount but otherwise I just have to slide it in with my chip pointed up. I never have to sign anything.

I think one if the major reasons I am down and out is that I went to my parent's house yesterday to turn on the air conditioner and other things. My dad passed away last summer and my mother is now wasting away in a nursing home. Going into their house, knowing that they will never return to it, always gets me down . I used to go to the local Botanical Gardens after I would go check on their house, but now I am afraid to go. I have let fear rule my life. Even cancelled my hair appointment to get my stupid shag hair cut of the 70's that I did myself fixed. While I am down, I decided to read the news. A big mistake. I will get better, it just needs to run its course. In a few days, I will be back to normal. Still living in fear but not as bluesy. Still scared to leave the house but hopefully some energy will return.

On the bright side, my son is leaving DC on the 30th. Believe me that is a huge bright side.

Thanks everyone for your support, it really helps to get this out of my system.

(((Kensie))) you're dealing with a lot!

As the adage goes, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst MOO

That's what I've been doing since late Jan/Feb.

Yesterday I was in tears though.

Since February, I moved all my flowering plants (lots!) from the backyard to the front yard so I could quarantine at home, yet work in my yard with pots and replanting. And converse with folks walking by and have them pick flowers with children. Met more neighbors than ever before! It's been fabulous!

I had a neighbor share with me yesterday that my yard had too much, perhaps was tacky.. and not allowed.

I was so upset yesterday after it happened I took all of my potted flowers that folks pick etc.. and moved 30 flowers in pots to my backyard in tears that it was perhaps against HOA/POA rules for such, and didn't want to get the letter from the HOA she mentioned.

I was crying and so depressed that my ONE thing that keeps me going during my quarantine keeps me going to be in the yard 3-4 hours a day.

Woke up this am determined to stand up. I had not gotten a letter, she was the only person that thought might be "tacky".... so I wrote a letter with prior photos of my yard with the pots and flowers in the last 3 months that were there until yesterday, asking for approval from the HOA board and committee - although I had never gotten a "letter"

DANG IT... don't be like me and be taken down by others that take your joy in life during this.

I will overcome... yet will wait a couple of weeks to put back out all my pots and flowers in the front.

It.Gives.Me.Joy
People can be so thoughtless. I’m sorry this happened to you.

I think one if the major reasons I am down and out is that I went to my parent's house yesterday to turn on the air conditioner and other things. My dad passed away last summer and my mother is now wasting away in a nursing home. Going into their house, knowing that they will never return to it, always gets me down . I used to go to the local Botanical Gardens after I would go check on their house, but now I am afraid to go. I have let fear rule my life. Even cancelled my hair appointment to get my stupid shag hair cut of the 70's that I did myself fixed. While I am down, I decided to read the news. A big mistake. I will get better, it just needs to run its course. In a few days, I will be back to normal. Still living in fear but not as bluesy. Still scared to leave the house but hopefully some energy will return.

On the bright side, my son is leaving DC on the 30th. Believe me that is a huge bright side.

Thanks everyone for your support, it really helps to get this out of my system.

I don't know if it helps, and I sure don't know the situation at the Botanical Gardens, but being outdoors with social distancing and a mask is pretty safe. Depends on your own age and health too, of course.

I'm finding that I can't stand my N95 mask for very long. So I'm switching to a layered fabric mask with a filter insert - and of course, planning to stay well away from people when I go to the park or beach (which I too am not quite ready for).

Did you drive past the Gardens to see how many were there? That's been my first step.

One park near my daughter's house was remarkably uncrowded - the park we usually go to...is a zoo. It should go back to normal some day. Maybe. If no one is comfortable going back to gyms, I guess there will be more joggers - but there's a lot of empty grass that hopefully will not be crowded.

It is really hard for me to leave the house, too. Even though I know there's virtually no risk to walking around the block (I'm going to do that this afternoon). And I'm trying to find ways to get more steps in the back yard - but many days, I just feel hopeless.

Good news: US death rate has declined significantly (but may bump up a little tomorrow, as weekend data collection is often stalled until the first work day, which is understandable). But still, I think it's generally going down. The new case numbers are still a little worrying, and the states that aren't keeping track are the most worrying.

I'm glad your son is getting out of DC. Big urban areas are just so scary right now.

Adults and their temper tantrums.:rolleyes:

"RALEIGH, N.C. —

Comments made on social media, ahead of Monday's ReOpen NC march, are raising concerns of safety and violence, WRAL-TV reports.

Adam Smith, the husband of ReOpen NC's co-founder Ashley Smith, said reopening North Carolina to protect businesses and constitutional rights are issues some should be willing to kill over.

"Do we want to pick up arms? Do we want to kill anybody? Of course not. Nobody wants to take lives. We don’t want to kill anybody. But, are we willing to kill people? Are we willing to lay our lives down? We have to say yes," he said in a video post.

After seeing the response on social media, Adam said his words were taken out of context."

Comments made ahead of Memorial Day ReOpen NC protests

no idea I'm not from there
I live in Canada where we have it

Apologies, @LadyL. I do of course know you're Canadian but I thought I'd quoted the original post too. Hope you're doing ok since losing your dad.

Glad to see Canada's coronanumbers are coming down nicely. I have two relatives there - central Toronto and rural BC - who have had very different experiences of lockdown but both feel Canada has dealt with it well and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

What a great video for our CoVid time capsule. Unfortunately, rates are not going down everywhere (apparently Arizona and Texas, especially Houston, are having real problems). The beach people don't bother me as much as the boardwalk people. It looked breezy at the beach, so way more dispersion of virions. And pool people are at least surrounded by chlorinated water.

But those people who are out on the boardwalk/in between those buildings - oof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288