Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the most interesting aspect of BM's Facebook plea is that he did it in the first place. I've never seen another missing person's case where someone close to the victim produced and released his own video. Have you?

That would be an attractive, possibly irresistible, option for someone with a controlling nature. Chose your set, clothing, and script. Also telling, IMO, is how brief the clip is. Perhaps a wise choice to call "cut" before the dry and unconvincing crying begins?

How many takes before the Director's Cut was released?
bbm
I know you weren't trying to be humorous ... but -- that last sentence gave me a chuckle. :D
So thank you. :)

I'd really like to know the timing of the emailed mountain lion hypothesis related to the first mention of the kidnapping hypothesis. If kidnapping was only brought up after the wild animal theory was dismissed, that's interesting. I'll check our map and see if I can find that. MOO
Also, a thought occurred to me. If there were rumours locally of a lion, why didnt Suzanne know of them?

This.

We probably don't know 99.9% of what LE knows. Yet we have people in here criticizing how they are handling the case and that they appear to be focusing on the husband.

We, part of the public, absolutely don't know but a mere fraction of what exists in this case. That will continue to be true to a large extent. I opined yesterday there is often a phase in criminal cases when frustration and emotions run rampant, and anger, blame and condemnation of LE emerges. There have been times LE has been weak, but there's nothing in this case to indicate that. There is always a segment of case followers who feel absolutely entitled to know every bit of information and become incensed that LE is not telling them what they want to know.

Of course LE is focusing on the husband--they have their reasons. The intimate partner of a missing person is usually looked at closely and statistics have long shown a connection when a wife and mother suddenly goes missing. It's investigation 101. Watch any random Dateline episode and you'll see this very thing.

Common sense would tell you this is because they have strong evidence that points this way. Just because they aren't sharing what they know with us, doesn't mean they are "fumbling" the investigation.

As I learned in many ways, common sense isn't really all that common. We humans want to see and experience and know. We live in a society of instant gratification, and if something isn't shown then it must not exist. So, if LE isn't sharing information it's because they don't have any info or evidence, and they don't have any info or evidence because they're incompetent, is how that logic goes. It's just one of the many vagaries of following a case.

Last edited:
That's very kind of you. I will think about it. I've just recovered from a very serious bout of COVID-19 - ill for 10 weeks in total, including pneumonia. I know I'm lucky to be alive. I'm still thoroughly wiped out (and can't yet climb one flight of stairs without having to sit down to get my breath back). Ihave COVID antibodies whizzing around my body, which is great, and I'm packing to go look after a close relative who is dying and doesn't want palliative care from the local hospice. My life priorities have turned upside down and I don't ever like committing to something I can't carry through. It suits me to be an occasional lay-person right now.
Love and respect to all those who are suffering from COVID-19, and for their loved ones too. Sorry to go off-piste!

It is highly unusual to not want to do something together with the police earlier on. Initial appeals are as much about jogging the public's memory as they are about appealing to a specific person or persons. Memories fade/become distorted and therefore time is of the essence in gathering as much evidence as early as possible. I'd have to see BM's usual facial expressions when distressed to make a call on what you've asked me. One way you might want to explore your idea further is to watch the footage in 2 halves. Pick out the times when, on first glance he looks the most distressed (as you say, his forehead is furrowed) and make a note of them. Then play that footage again with the upper part of the face occluded, so you can't see his eyes or brow. Repeat the exercise, again noting the timings of when you think he is most distressed, as expressed by his mouth/lower face muscles. Then compare the timings. Do they correlate? Look at other instances of footage where people are genuinely distraught. There's plenty of examples - say after natural disasters, plane crashes, etc. There are some universal expressions that occur irrespective of multiple variables such as race, sex etc. Do you see anything different when you look at the lower half of the face of people in emotional or psychological pain?
Compare instances where there have been similar cases to what we are discussing on this thread and where the person making the appeal is subsequently proved innocent. Those activities may answer your questions.

Just want to say - there's no commitment. We are just grateful to have people verified and have them stop by once in a while.

Sorry to hear about your bout with CoVid - you take care of yourself. Websleuths can be very...distracting, for people who like medical or psychiatric mysteries. This particular case has the air of a psychiatric drama, IMO. (Regardless of who did it).

I've now watched the video in several phases and I have gone back to my reference files of "genuinely distraught" people (I've got cross-cultural funeral videos, as well as "person just got killed right in front of someone" videos, from at least 4-5 cultures). There are definitely universals to grief, although of course lots of cultural variation. I do not see those things in BLM, which is why I wanted your specific opinion. If he's the kind of person who disassociates under stress and doesn't function well (reduced affect) without sleep, I'm adjusting my expectations. But I truly believe this 27 seconds was taken from a larger piece. If someone else is there (let's say, someone who believes every word spoken by BLM), that makes a difference to me, too. From his steady stare at the camera and the lack of personal expression in his eyes and eye area, I think he's talking directly to a camera. Alone.

So the audience is himself.

He should have used the time to say when she was last seen, who last talked to her, create a sense of urgency. Was she perfectly cheerful last he talked to her?

Is the reason he switches from talking to Suzanne that he absolutely can't face talking to Suzanne? Can't talk to Suzanne or even imagine it? And so, instead, imagines talking to abductors. He does return to talking to Suzanne at the end, but mostly on behalf of the daughters.

The setting makes it look as though he's at his own house, but it seems pretty clear that he was not at the house, but staying nearby.

That's very kind of you. I will think about it. I've just recovered from a very serious bout of COVID-19 - ill for 10 weeks in total, including pneumonia. I know I'm lucky to be alive. I'm still thoroughly wiped out (and can't yet climb one flight of stairs without having to sit down to get my breath back). Ihave COVID antibodies whizzing around my body, which is great, and I'm packing to go look after a close relative who is dying and doesn't want palliative care from the local hospice. My life priorities have turned upside down and I don't ever like committing to something I can't carry through. It suits me to be an occasional lay-person right now.
Love and respect to all those who are suffering from COVID-19, and for their loved ones too. Sorry to go off-piste!

I’m glad you’re recovering, and I’m sincerely sorry about your loved one. Just know that becoming verified on WS puts you under no obligation at all. Peace.

This is fascinating IMO -
It's the case that occasionally we see the behaviour of a sociopath as it is being played out. Harold Shipman - the GP in the UK - who murdered hundreds of his patients- is a case in point. We were watching, in real-time, his supreme omnipotence. He became more cavalier and careless with progressive murders, and his interviews with the press and police are chilling to watch. He wasn't in denial; he was disgusted with authorities who questioned him, having nothing but contempt for them. He did believe that his far superior intellect (sociopathy and narcissism) would outwit all the dullards around him.
And, unfortunately, as too often happens, the early clues were there, decades before he began killing on a regular basis.

One thing I don’t understand is why SM and BM’s daughters aren’t staying with their dad. God forbid my husband went missing I would need my children and they would need me more than ever for comfort. I hope more than anything SM is found safe. If she isn’t I pray BM didn’t have anything to do with it.

It was mentioned Barry's mother is out there and then there is the friend who also put up 100K. If they suspected Barry in the least they would never do this. How many people have a friend that puts up 100K!

BBM. If the family or friends suspect Barry was involved then they also know it is unlikely the money will ever be dispersed. iow, a pretty safe bet.

JMO

Agreed.

The police DO NOT NEED PUBLIC’S HELP.

The Sheriff has repeatedly asked local public, particularly those in the geo area near SM/BM to please call in with any information or tips or sightings, and they continue to ask for this and provide the dedicated tip line. But you're right in that the general public's assistance is not needed (or wanted).

Just want to say - there's no commitment. We are just grateful to have people verified and have them stop by once in a while.

Sorry to hear about your bout with CoVid - you take care of yourself. Websleuths can be very...distracting, for people who like medical or psychiatric mysteries. This particular case has the air of a psychiatric drama, IMO. (Regardless of who did it).

I've now watched the video in several phases and I have gone back to my reference files of "genuinely distraught" people (I've got cross-cultural funeral videos, as well as "person just got killed right in front of someone" videos, from at least 4-5 cultures). There are definitely universals to grief, although of course lots of cultural variation. I do not see those things in BLM, which is why I wanted your specific opinion. If he's the kind of person who disassociates under stress and doesn't function well (reduced affect) without sleep, I'm adjusting my expectations. But I truly believe this 27 seconds was taken from a larger piece. If someone else is there (let's say, someone who believes every word spoken by BLM), that makes a difference to me, too. From his steady stare at the camera and the lack of personal expression in his eyes and eye area, I think he's talking directly to a camera. Alone.

So the audience is himself.

He should have used the time to say when she was last seen, who last talked to her, create a sense of urgency. Was she perfectly cheerful last he talked to her?

Is the reason he switches from talking to Suzanne that he absolutely can't face talking to Suzanne? Can't talk to Suzanne or even imagine it? And so, instead, imagines talking to abductors. He does return to talking to Suzanne at the end, but mostly on behalf of the daughters.

The setting makes it look as though he's at his own house, but it seems pretty clear that he was not at the house, but staying nearby.

I think his presentation is edited and is therefore a selective production. There were early suggestions that a member of the family who owns/works for some kind of recording company helped him put it together. I don't have any evidence to substantiate this - so it's nothing more than hearsay.
I can't immediately bring to mind another example where a video has been recorded and publicised so unilaterally.
If you go back to the recording, look at what he's saying when he begins double/treble blinking. The narrative links up.

One thing I don’t understand is why SM and BM’s daughters aren’t staying with their dad. God forbid my husband went missing I would need my children and they would need me more than ever for comfort. I hope more than anything SM is found safe. If she isn’t I pray BM didn’t have anything to do with it.
The families' have been pretty quiet and I suppose we won't know the 'whys' unless there are new developments from LE.

Yes, we've heard various things about the bikes condition and where it was found but this is the first I've read that it was "crashed." Apparently it was described this way early on.

At least we know a little more about BM. He was described by Parsons as not as friendly as Suzanne and "standoffish."

Imo
I worked with a friend who was very devout in her chosen religion. She once told me her husband attended with her regularly, however, it was more of a social thing and he enjoyed the “networking.” I think we all know who the spiritual partner was. MOO

Last edited:
Bloodhound Man-Trackers inc.
May 23 at 6:51 PM ·
Bloodhound Man-Trackers
Assisted Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of investigation and the Federal Bureau of investigation today. It is a great honor to assist these hard working, caring, dedicated law enforcement professionals, stay safe and well. A special thank you to K-9s Radar, Jynx and Carlene for your hard work.

My post links to their facebook page. Here's their 'about' comment. Beautiful dogs!

SrOIIjACERD.png

Mission
Man Tracking &
Human Decomposition Detection to help find the
Lost & Missing
and to help bring
Criminals to Justice.

In your opinion is much weight placed on the fact he took so long to publicly appear/plea for her return? Definitely a novice here, but I thought his eyes were just too steady. Scrunched up in "pain" satisfactorily, but completely steady as though in an acting class. Or maybe you already noted that, lol. I was thinking if I were in that situation I would cycle through bafflement to pain, but he showed no bafflement. IMO
When we see impassioned pleas from parents or spouses for their loved one, we (or a least me) cry along with them because the “depth” of the emotion is heart wrenching. We literally feel their pain.

BM....no depth, no gut wrenching pain. All that plea instilled in me was suspicion. MOO

Well if BM is afraid that a big bad abductor could capture SM right from under his nose, I imagine he has the MM's in protective custody. I believe SM's relative that spoke to Crimeonline alluded to the same. MOO

Long time lurker, first time poster.

We’ve followed countless missing persons investigations on here, and regardless of who conducting the investigation, we generally see the same things:

A physical description (clothing, height, weight, etc).

The time and date the person was last seen.

Public searches, daily press conferences, and appeals from the family.

Here, the FBI and CBI were on scene very quickly, and searches were conducted by law enforcement. They did not ask for public help in that regard.

That tells me that they knew a crime had been committed, and had a very good idea that the perpetrator was close to home.

We know how the CBI and FBI operate, and how they handle certain situations. I’m convinced this is a murder investigation with a strong suspect.

Not a stranger abduction. Not a runaway wife. Not an accident. Not an animal attack. Not a lost woman.

This could take a while.
Ha! About time you stopped lurking!
Yes it’s almost like they had their solid evidence before they had a victim. Razor sharp focus now.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

We’ve followed countless missing persons investigations on here, and regardless of who conducting the investigation, we generally see the same things:

A physical description (clothing, height, weight, etc).

The time and date the person was last seen.

Public searches, daily press conferences, and appeals from the family.

Here, the FBI and CBI were on scene very quickly, and searches were conducted by law enforcement. They did not ask for public help in that regard.

That tells me that they knew a crime had been committed, and had a very good idea that the perpetrator was close to home.

We know how the CBI and FBI operate, and how they handle certain situations. I’m convinced this is a murder investigation with a strong suspect.

Not a stranger abduction. Not a runaway wife. Not an accident. Not an animal attack. Not a lost woman.

This could take a while.

<modsnip: off topic>

I agree. There has been a laser focus in this case on one particular thing.

Unfortunately (MOO) I think this going to prove to be a cliche case of exactly who think did it and why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member