Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t read anything to indicate she was sighted riding her mountain bike Sunday morning. Just a thought, most of the homes in the mountain community of Salina are not close to each other. The size of the town is extremely small. If she had been seen by more than one person I believe LE would have reported it. What she was wearing that Sunday morning. It all very vague about where she was last seen riding.

BBM:

If SM had been seen by even one person riding her bike that day, LE would have reported where and when she was last seen on her bike.

They did not do so.

There's a logical inference that can and should be drawn from that.

If LE has no credible, specific sightings of SM riding her bike that day, they can't help but be vague in their descriptions.

MSM needs to stop with all the "went missing during a bike ride" headlines.

That's a bunch of garbage.

"Fake News."

JMO.

Last edited:
Scott Peterson voluntarily allowed police to search his home the night Laci was reported missing. They found nothing. Kelsey Berreth's family allowed LE to search Kelsey's home and they found nothing. Do we know why BM isn't living in the marital home?
BM isn't living there because the residence is just one of many areas of on going focus as part of this open investigation.
The residence is being held by LE.

Search For Suzanne Morphew: Sheriff Says Search Warrant Is Sealed

Search for Chaffee County woman at Salida scene ends after 3 days

On 13 May, LE announced via press release a factual finding (‘investigation has revealed’) that Suzanne did take the bike ride and did not return home. It isn’t simply ‘she was reported to…’ It’s been determined to be a fact by LE, after 48 hours. I've not seen where that's changed. To investigate and arrive at a such a finding, I'd certainly hope there's a witness or something on camera, but that hasn't been shared.

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

“On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.”

BBM:

If SM had been seen by even one person riding her bike that day, LE would have reported where and when she was last seen on her bike.

They did not do so.

If LE has no credible, specific sightings of SM riding her bike that day, they can't help but be vague in their descriptions.

That's garbage.

It ain't even true.

JMO.

Last edited:
My biggest surprise of the day was learning that Suzanne's family supposedly didn't even know who TN is ... the family spokesperson about their daughter's disappearance and possible/probable murder.
I find this odd, as well. I know of the nieces and nephews of many cousins, SIL’s, BIL’s and other family members. It just comes up in conversations about graduations, weddings, etc... or just in visits to In-laws.

What has always puzzled me is how fast LE sprung into action right after the neighbor called to report Suzanne missing. Within what, an hour or so after she was reported missing, searches began, then other agencies got involved, etc.

Makes me wonder if the perp didn't expect that LE would be called so soon?
Makes me wonder if the daughters didn't pass on more relevant information to the neighbor.

I disagree. It is the very first thing my parents wanted when my brother was killed. I was 19 and my younger brother was 16. They needed to see us, keep us close for quite a while afterwards. So I read a lot into this ...
bbm
So did I. Regardless of how old my children were, it would be very difficult for me to let them out of my arms and then out of my sight. Hold tightly to what you love.

Releasing the home back to BM is one issue. LE can't hold onto the house indefinitely.

Legally BM has a right to know what was seized as part of the search warrants executed. In your example the wording would be: 1 <length> x <width> section of carpet from <name of room>.

They're not going to say in the search warrant why they collected those specific items, only that they collected specific items and the items will be identified. The search warrant spells out the gist of what LE is looking for right up front. The only people who will know what was collected will be LE, the DA's office, the judge who signed the search warrant order, the owner of the home (BM). The public will not find out until such time a search warrant is unsealed or at trial.

And the suspect (BM in this case) won't find out what actual *evidence* the state has to prove the case until he's arrested and charged. If he's never arrested and charged he'll never know.
Stepping on a carpet tack will be a rude awakening. :confused: moo

Police and FBI wrap up search at property where missing mom Suzanne Morphew's husband worked | Daily Mail Online

I’m adding to my post upthread regarding the bike rack that carries the aqua-colored bike and the bike with the red handlebars.That kind of bike rack usually has the two bikes facing opposite directions. And they’re designed that way, to take up less room, keep the components and back hubs from banging against each other. You’d mess something up if you put them on wrong. Yet, from what I can tell, these two bikes are facing the same direction....

On 13 May, LE announced via press release a factual finding (‘investigation has revealed’) that Suzanne did take the bike ride and did not return home. It isn’t simply ‘she was reported to…’ It’s been determined to be a fact by LE, after 48 hours. I've not seen where that's changed.

“On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.”

Posted in: Press Releases by Chaffee County Sheriff | 0 Comment
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 18, 2020

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.

Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.

On Monday, 18, investigators continued to review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office. There have been more than 150 calls to the tip line since the phone line was activated last week. There were no targeted searches conducted on Monday.

Continued from yesterday’s update: Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th thru May 12th.

Citizens are only being asked to preserve the video at this time. Please do not send these videos to the sheriff’s office or call the sheriff’s office. As search areas are identified, investigators will contact residents in those locations to collect any camera footage within that May 8-12 window.

PLEASE DO NOT CALL CHAFFEE COUNTY DISPATCH WITH QUESTIONS.

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office asks the public to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

I disagree.

I went back and reviewed the CCSO investigation updates.

After the May 13th release you quote in your post. Not a single update mentions a bike ride or bike. Not one!

IMO, the bike ride was part of the initial report because that was what dispatch and deputies were told by the reporting party.

JMO, but that was quickly dispelled by LE and the reason it is not repeated in any official update after May 13th.

Last edited:
BBM:

They did not do so.

That's a bunch of garbage.

"Fake News."

JMO.

The Sheriff's Office is releasing NO information about the investigation of this case other than what is absolutely necessary to inform the public, such as notification of road closures for searches. In the May 16th bulletin, they said:
"While Saturday’s efforts didn’t involve a large-scale search similar to the one that took place on US Highway 50 on May 15, investigators continued to follow-up on tips and conduct targeted searches in the area based on information provided to those working the case.
To date, there have been more than 100 tips reported to the dedicated phone line as part of Ms. Morphew’s Missing Person case. "

Essentially, LE has told the public that they will not be sharing any information that they have received, but in four days the amount of tips they had received (100) was equivalent to one-half of the population of Maysville (197), where SM lives.
In my opinion, LE is saying "don't expect us to share any information that we have learned" and "we've talked to a helluva lot of witnesses" . I don't see how that becomes "Nobody saw a thing, guaranteed!"
IMO
Search continues for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff
Search continues for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

On 13 May, LE announced via press release a factual finding (‘investigation has revealed’) that Suzanne did take the bike ride and did not return home. It isn’t simply ‘she was reported to…’ It’s been determined to be a fact by LE, after 48 hours. I've not seen where that's changed.

I see where you're coming from but I'm not sure we should actually extrapolate that much out of one sentence in one of their first pressers. These statements are carefully crafted but they are far from something like an affidavit of fact or official legal document. Sometimes they're imprecise, contain errors, or reflect positions that investigators no longer hold as the case evolves. The SO is under no real obligation to keep the public updated on every single development or change in their theory of the case, and very often it's in the best interest of the investigation that they don't.

On 13 May, LE announced via press release a factual finding (‘investigation has revealed’) that Suzanne did take the bike ride and did not return home. It isn’t simply ‘she was reported to…’ It’s been determined to be a fact by LE, after 48 hours. I've not seen where that's changed. To investigate and arrive at a such a finding, I'd certainly hope there's a witness or something on camera, but that hasn't been shared.

The language has changed, but I don’t believe that it is indicative of law enforcement being sold on the bike ride narrative. In fact, everything they have done seems to point away from that.

I subscribe to the philosophy that you should “focus on what they do, and not what they say,” especially when the two diverge.

In the Gannon Stauch case, law enforcement said that it wasn’t a criminal investigation. Their actions however, told us that not only was it a homicide investigation, but they had a prime suspect.

Likewise, the press releases saying that she “reportedly” went for a bike ride, followed by the language you shared, doesn’t jibe with their actions:

Searching the house

Digging at a construction site

Seizing BM’s phone and car

Not sharing any of the typical details that are usually shared in an abduction case

A bike ride changes the game, yet we aren’t seeing the things we would see if they actually believed that.

If she went on a bike ride, I’ll eat my hat.

Last edited:
LE would not make such a request. If it's been taken down it was done by him. LE would never cut off a potential source of evidence. Perps have hurt their cases by posting things on FB. One example: Tammy Moorer, who was convicted and sentenced to 30 years for conspiracy and kidnapping of victim Heather Elvis, posted so much stuff and some of it made its way into her trial where it helped get her convicted.
When LE serves a search warrant on FB, it is generally for all content, both public and private. In recent times, I believe FB has been removing search warranted pages from public view, to preserve the information as it was delivered by them to LE. I further think that a "stub" remains listing only the name, and residences locations, which is still in the search base but difficult to find. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member