Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the response Otto, but nothing posted above “rules out “ voluntary missing, an accident (animal/otherwise) or kidnapping.
I realize that the odds of who did this are in agreement with the 99% commenters here, but there sure isn’t much evidence available to back that up.
Furthermore, I think the quick departure of the dig site and return of the homestead to BM means that LE might be back to the drawing board.
That said, I currently think:
50% BM
20% Abduction - Known
20% Abduction - UnKnown
10% Accident/Ran Off

Sure, it's possible that she is voluntarily missing. There's no evidence to support this and neither investigators nor family have suggested it, but it's possible.

Accident has been addressed, where someone other than investigators associated accident with wild animal. Investigators have ruled out wild animal. That leaves accident. Where is the body? Where is an injured Suzanne if she had a dreadful bike crash that left her at the bottom of a ravine, on the side of the road, or elsewhere? Surely she didn't wander off. Even so, waterways and areas surrounding the bike location have been thoroughly searched.

Kidnapping means that the bike was staged and she was grabbed. No one has come forward to claim the no-questions-asked money, so that pretty much implies murder. It is possible that the 49 year old cancer survivor is alive and held somewhere for some odd reason, but unlikely.

Murder? If she was kidnapped, it's likely she was murdered.

Not really. They've lived there 10 years. We're lived here 30. The husband clears our driveway when it snows. Their kids tricker-treat at our house. They shoot off fireworks and clean our driveway afterward. We exchange cookies at Christmas time. iow, neighborly activities.

JMO
What a different world! I don't even know my neighbors names and would'nt recognize them in a store.

Claims that she cycled every Sunday morning before church (relayed through the fire chief ???) don't make sense. It was cold during the month of April. Avid cyclists in cold Winter environments put bikes on trainers until the weather is warm.

It snowed April 12. When did she pick up the Sunday morning cycling habit? May 3 and 10 were good for mountain biking.

Gunnison, CO Weather Calendar | Weather Underground
SM disappeared on May 10, 2020. Temp hit 71 degrees that day.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/salida/81201/may-weather/332185

I think if his phone had been turned off, LE would name him as a POI because his alibi would be in question.

JMO
I don't think LE would name any POI's or suspects at this point. They have been very careful not to reveal any information about the investigation, other than where they are searching.

Letecia Stauch wasn't named a suspect until she was arrested, but it was pretty clear from the start that she was.

Just because one member says it reminds them of the XYZ case does not give other members licence to derail the thread with discussion about the XYZ case.

This thread is dedicated to discussing the Suzanne Morphew case.

Please stay on topic.

I think if his phone had been turned off, LE would name him as a POI because his alibi would be in question.

JMO

Patrick Frazee and Letecia Stauch were never labeled POI’s before their arrests. This, despite overwhelming evidence against them at the time.

Likewise, they almost certainly would not deviate from that in this case. Many law enforcement agencies have also adopted this tactic.

@MsBetsy Jinx

I don't think LE would name any POI's or suspects at this point. They have been very careful not to give out any information about the investigation, other than where they are searching.

Letecia Stauch wasn't named a suspect until she was arrested, but it was pretty clear from the start that she was.
Exactly. There is no reason to rush this case or start the clock ticking on a trial.

They’re working hard to find her body, compile evidence and lab results, and have their sights set on who they believe may be responsible.

A rushed case is a disaster in the making.

I am so far behind at this point but the most telling thing for me is the lack of Barry and family doing really anything at all. If he truly thought she was kidnapped, why is he not printing off missing posters and hanging them all over the neighborhood and all throughout the town and all the towns nearby? Instead, there’s nothing. Nothing about what she was wearing, things to look out for, nothing at all. If that were my family member I wouldn’t stop until she was home. It’s pretty obvious she was never kidnapped.

And also, if Barry thinks she’s kidnapped, how did the story of a possible mountain lion attack grow legs? IMO that’s something he would have told someone from back home and they went with it. So which is it Barry, was it a mountain lion or was she kidnapped?

Last edited:
Patrick Frazee and Letecia Stauch were never labeled POI’s before their arrests. This, despite overwhelming evidence against them at the time.

Likewise, they almost certainly would not deviate from that in this case. Many law enforcement agencies have also adopted this tactic.

@MsBetsy Jinx
I beat you, for once!

The church received information that there was a bike crash and a wild animal event. The Sheriff said there was no wild animal event, so we know that information did not come from the Sheriff.

She wasn't found with her bike, so we know there wasn't an accidental bike crash.

Kidnapping is where she would be grabbed off the road. There's a $200,000 reward for the kidnapper, no questions asked. Why hasn't the kidnapper arranged to get the money and return Suzanne?
BBM. Could it because MB is already dead and the family is engaged in wishful thinking in order to hold out hope for their loved one?

I do believe all the church members were told is that there was a wild animal sighting. That's a far cry from claiming there was "a wild animal event." If she wasn't found with her crashed bike, that is an indication that foul play was involved. It is not evidence her husband was in any way involved.

JMO

No, because the media already knows the neighbor reported SM went on a bike ride. I think the daughters received that information directly from MB, not via their dad. My kids all called me directly on Mother's Day, they didn't first call their dad.

JMO
Your response is confusing. What are you talking about re the media already knows? Who is MB?

Your kids called you directly, but if they couldn't reach you all day, who would they call? Your mailman, your tax guy? If you're married to their Father they would call him, is that so far fetched?

Yes, if the neighbor actually saw her riding her bike I can't think of any reason why LE wouldn't include something like, "last seen around 10:00 am wearing a blue windbreaker and a green helmet", on the missing persons page if they believed she went missing during or after a bike ride. Even if the neighbor couldn't remember what she was wearing they would at least state the time. Jmo

Besides them possibly not knowing what she wore that day, hence no description, the only other thing that I can think of is that maybe that's something they're hoping to trip up the suspect(s).

That's all I got.

I pretty much never go alone anywhere.
Maybe the grocery store and park up close by the cameras.
So maybe there's a different attitude in the country?
However, i don't believe she went on a bike ride that day
Personal items were found 2,000 feet from her own house. If I park in in about the center of the parking lot of my Costco store, select some cookies from the bakery, swing back to see if they have Charmin T/P in stock, veer into the fresh veggies to check the asparagus and possible artichokes, go through the checkstand and back to the car, I've walked 2000 feet.
The scariest part of this case is that whatever happened to her was no more distance from her house than a short shopping experience in Costco. IMO

If I knew that my family member had been self-isolating except for a routine bike ride, and they had not come back by their usual time - yes, I would call 911.

Further, having lived in some isolated places and still keeping track of crime in the place I used to live, I'd be even more likely to do so. However, the Morphews hadn't been there that long (according to BLM's MSM information he became a volunteer fireman in August 2018, but they didn't buy the house until December - so presumably, they had only had about 17 months of local residency).

There were virtually no other humans living near their house, IMO. There's no place to "just stop by," IMO, except the neighbor whose house was called. However, it would be strange indeed for a woman who had been battling cancer and is probably still on some medication to risk breaking quarantine.

Ending up having dinner? During self-isolation? In that case, Suzanne would indeed be an extreme risk taker and if I were her spouse, I'd want to know what she was up to, that she'd risk her incredible health progress for dinner. Anyway, if we're just going to use our own notions about common sense, I'd say that yes, a spouse should be concerned if their spouse is out and about, in an unexpected manner, during CoVid self-isolation.

You can look up the residency situation of the other buildings in that little area where she biked. If she had completed her ride, it's my opinion that she would have encountered no more houses - only campsites.

I'll add one more risk factor, just in case other people don't worry about such things. Being one of the richest people in an area (as judged by locals eyeing your digs) is not the safest position on the social pyramid.

Keep in mind that it was the daughters who called the neighbor. Clearly, they expected to talk to their mother on Mother's Day (IMO). Then the neighbor for whatever reason (missing bike? finding the bike?) calls 911. The neighbor knows way more about the situation than we do.

Gannon...you bring up very good points!
While BM, as the husband, is the most likely suspect, there are many red flags for me.

Devil’s advocate; I attend a very small church, and have for 35 years. While there is a stable, core group, we always welcome new members. Over the years, we have had at least one sexual offender, and one person, who told such extravagant lies(bs), he chose to try his scam elsewhere...

I am bothered by the “was known to take bike ride on Sunday morning”
Known by “who”? or how many whos?
I am sure that cancer took some of her vitality away, but based on the old fb photos, she is a very attractive woman.

The remoteness of the 1.5 m house, makes it an excellent target! Security Alarms? We have a monitored system required by insurance company, we have accidentally set it off numerous times, w/ calls, codes, etc.
I assume this is somewhat dependent on the
area and remoteness...we even came home once to have my 80 yo mother tell us about the nice policeman( deputy) who stopped by to check on her? lol

JMO, and this is just a slim possibility...
It is quite possible BM is a horrible husband
who never realized what a vulnerable position he left his wife in...ie, We rarely armed our alarm until I believe someone came in to my kitchen while I was downstairs in basement...the guilt may be for not taking care of his wife...and shock.

I feel free to speculate, as I am not LE, and have no pressure to be right, and take every step carefully, in order to have justice served...

Personal items were found 2,000 feet from her own house. If I park in in about the center of the parking lot of my Costco store, select some cookies from the bakery, swing back to see if they have Charmin T/P in stock, veer into the fresh veggies to check the asparagus and possible artichokes, go through the checkstand and back to the car, I've walked 2000 feet.
The scariest part of this case is that whatever happened to her was no more distance from her house that a short shopping experience in Costco. IMO
I think that whatever happened to her, was no more distance from her house, than her house.

It's impossible for anyone to make a 911 call if they are not in the 911 calling jurisdiction. The only thing they could do is call the Sheriff's Office directly.

Neighbors don't have to be "good friends" to look out for one another as neighbors. Our neighbors have the access code to our home yet we have never socialized as "friends." I don't believe SM told her neighbor she was going on a bike ride. I believe she told either her husband or one of her children and the neighbor was called to do a "well-being" check at the house. Those homes are large acreages and I doubt it is possible for the neighbor to see their property from her own home.

JMO
That's true but calling 911/Emergency services in another area is not so unusual today. Last I checked I have a total of 7 ER numbers in different counties, states, and country in my phone. Two of the locations are supported by "Text-to-911" service. You can receive an update from the FCC every month for added locations supported by 911 text.

(I must give credit to where credit is due: Our fav reporter Sam Kraemer introduced me to "Text- to- 911" service. He added it for his parents in WI when he moved to Co).

She might have been in the house with the helmet on, getting ready for a bike ride. Like, half way out the door. So someone might be giving a sort of truth. Also, she might have just plonked the helmet on without doing it up while she got the rest of her stuff together, just so she knew where it was and didn't leave it somewhere.
So, there may be an element of truth in every detail. It's just that someone could be manipulating how we are to perceive it.
But WHO would know that? Supposedly there was no one home with her that morning. So who would have seen her 'getting her stuff together' and plonking it on her head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck