Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is if my husband were missing, I would do everything possible to keep his face in the news. I would want people to keep a look out for him. I would be down at the police station and constantly checking with them to see what if anything that they were doing.

I would cooperate in any way that I could to clear my name and to get them seriously looking for him. If I felt that they were not doing enough, I would organize my own search party.

I can't understand why the family isn't doing this, especially, the husband. Why are the daughters speaking out?

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. So, to me, the more media attention, the more pressure for the police to solve this disappearance, one way or the other.

Also, can anyone find Suzanne's name in NAMUS? I thought Colorado Missing Person's procedures call for local LE to make that entry into NAMUS. Maybe I'm just not finding it - so if anyone with more experience or an account at NAMUS can check, please post. I don't think she's there. This is, IMO, a criminal investigation and not a missing person's case.
I've been checking everyday...nothing yet.

One would think, but obviously it's not always the case. This is what I find so fascinating about cases where the perp looks like one of my friends - what is it that leads them to committing such an act, with the end result being life in prison - usually as a first offense.

IMO narcissism, they believe they are more intelligent and will outsmart and escape LE. MOO

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, as it sometimes hard to keep up, even though I'm sitting right here, lol.

In any case, it's really not such a great idea to take as gospel, as it were, the items mentioned in/on/around the house listing from 2 years ago.
At the time it was listed, it had this, that and the other.
Once new owners take possession, in this case the Morphew family, there is no reason to automatically assume they left everything exactly how it was, when it was for sale.

When we bought our house a few years back, we changed a LOT of things that were key selling points, and mentioned in the listing.
For us, they were there then, but they're not here now.
It's entirely possible the same holds true for the Morphew family home.

Just something to consider.

I'm not sure what kind of equipment BM owns. 9News posted aerial video footage of his home. The video shows a flatbed trailer and a Bobcat skid-steer loader parked on the property. Various attachments can be used with the Bobcat, making it useful as landscaping equipment. This equipment may or may not be his, we don't know yet.

Video:
I have the feeling that those two pieces of equipment and his big pick-up to pull that trailer, just might be BM's whole business operation .......Does he have a town business office location ? Did Suzanne work there with him ?.....moo

Does BM own his delivery trucks for the heavy equipment? Does he own the heavy equipment?
Otherwise he would have to pay for the drops and pick ups. So, if a piece of heavy equipment was used there would be a record of which location it was dropped at. If he owns his own trucks for this that's another story.
But still, a great big truck with heavy equipment on it is very noticeable driving down the road.

Good question.
We don't even know the name of his landscaping company in Colorado, so good luck finding out the answers to those questions.

Agreed, especially when you couple this with TNs pleading early on for the public to ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike. I've always wondered why that was so important to TN early on, and if this was the same narrative TN was hearing (bike crashed, potential animal attack) it would make sense. Also, our tight-lipped CCSO made a point to publicly say an animal attack was "very unlikely" - which could have been a way to address this narrative without tipping his hand re: evidence. Within a couple of days, the narrative emerged of a possible kidnapping for ransom (per the reward and video plea from BM).

JMO, I think it's a reason why the details about the bike ride, condition of the bike, timeline, etc. haven't been shared even though this is still a missing person case. If we assume the animal attack narrative came, directly or indirectly, from BM (which, I think is a reasonable assumption, albeit one that we can't know for sure) and the changing narrative is due to changing assumptions that were made in good faith, that's one thing. But if the changing narrative is due to lies that were being told early on (that were quickly refuted), I think this becomes a big problem for the person who was driving the narrative. MOO.

BM could have supplied TN with the narrative ....

One would think, but obviously it's not always the case. This is what I find so fascinating about cases where the perp looks like one of my friends - what is it that leads them to committing such an act, with the end result being life in prison - usually as a first offense.

100% selfishness, fueled by 100% evil.
No matter how charming the outer package may appear, a person who can murder their loving, devoted spouse, is just selfish and evil.

jmo

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, as it sometimes hard to keep up, even though I'm sitting right here, lol.

In any case, it's really not such a great idea to take as gospel, as it were, the items mentioned in/on/around the house listing from 2 years ago.
At the time it was listed, it had this, that and the other.
Once new owners take possession, in this case the Morphew family, there is no reason to automatically assume they left everything exactly how it was, when it was for sale.

When we bought our house a few years back, we changed a LOT of things that were key selling points, and mentioned in the listing.
For us, they were there then, but they're not here now.
It's entirely possible the same holds true for the Morphew family home.

Just something to consider.

*security system, security cameras... i am sure they have them, but would be interested to know if they were disabled at anytime...

I feel TN got dragged into a family situation and offered his professional services with the best intentions. I think he thought his expertise with media and advertising and video could provide a relative with much needed help and get the word out. Then things got weird. So what is he supposed to do-go public against his relative or just quietly stop helping and let LE do their job? I feel bad for him.

I feel TN got dragged into a family situation and offered his professional services with the best intentions. I think he thought his expertise with media and advertising and video could provide a relative with much needed help and get the word out. Then things got weird. So what is he supposed to do-go public against his relative or just quietly stop helping and let LE do their job? I feel bad for him.
I'm inclined to agree with this.
I feel sorry for him, as I do think he was just trying to help, then became the butt of jokes and getting the stink-eye by a few, wondering what his alibi was, or if there is some hinky stuff going on.
Ugh, welcome to social media where kindness and courtesy is in dreadfully short supply.

In a couple of words, people lose it. They lose their dam' minds.

We're not supposed to derail threads with personal anecdotes, so I'll just say I have both personal and professional experience to support that. There's also a small literature of interviews with domestic violence perps and murderers. A good place to start is the classic book Murder and Madness by Donald Lunde. Every one of the perps he interviewed (murderers) were friends with someone, although you'll see right away that one of his categories of murderer is the one who exhibits increasingly odd behavior, but seems harmless enough.

"He was a nice, quiet man" is often said by friends and neighbors in cases where there's been a murder within the family.

Also, "They kept to themselves, we waved hello," comes up a lot. And even "We just saw them at church. They both seemed fine." (That was said by fellow congregants of a 50-something neighbor of mine, who murdered his brother and then killed himself, possibly during a sudden argument).

But in DV murders, when a woman is pregnant, she's more at risk. When she's making moves to leave, she's more at risk. And of course, if either partner is having an affair, she's more at risk. Men are more likely to be killed by non-spouses, and when women kill inside the family, it's more likely to be a child.

However, women do kill their husbands and if the sexes were reversed in this case and the circumstances similar, we would be discussing the wife (and so would LE). The woman in my county who considered killing her husband (to punish him for an affair) ended up killing their two small sons. They were very well-off, he was a doctor, she was a former teacher. After she learned about the affair, she became very paranoid and controlling, and demanded he come home precisely at certain times. When he failed to do so and was overdue by many hours, that's what she figured she should do and what she did. Paranoia and a controlling nature are real and they are a *advertiser censored*.

This is different from the man in New York who (a chef and a wine snob) beat his wife to death with an unopened bottle of wine, because she didn't like the first bottle of wine he opened (his account of events, obviously). He says he just "lost it." I figure he'd had some pretty negative thoughts about a wife he considered too picky or too ignorant about wine before.

100% selfishness, fueled by 100% evil.
No matter how charming the outer package may appear, a person who can murder their loving, devoted spouse, is just selfish and evil.

jmo

Re charming. Even the most educated and intelligent can be fooled by a smart sociopath. If a person doesn't have experience with one of that ilk they can be manipulated, even if they don't realize or acknowledge it.

The one in my life has absolutely everyone fooled, except his six children and ex wives who saw the real personality behind the public facade. The sociopath boasted how easy it was to charm (ie: control) a newly qualified doctor friend of ours. He chuckled as he told me "All I have to do is call him "Doc" and he puffs up". Putty in his hands, but may have considered himself too intelligent to be so easily manipulated.

Yes evil, but with a charming mask. A wolf in sheep's clothing.

Not saying this is the case with BM. Don't know the man.

MOO. JMO.

My family members do various things, not necessarily at the same time - but for roughly for the same time each time. If a bicyclist typically goes for a 2 hour ride and they're gone for 4 hours, I'm going to start pacing. If the day is drawing to a close and they've been gone for 5 hours, yep, I'm calling LE if I'm not there to search myself. Biking is not without risk, all by itself. The idea that my family member could be lying in a ditch would be too much for me to not take some action. In the Morphew case, one would expect that the daughters would call upon Dad to go look for Mom - but he wasn't home, either. He wasn't that far away, according to his story (Denver - maybe 2.5 hours) but obviously, the daughters had a sense of urgency great enough that they called someone who was closer.

Perhaps they knew their mother frequently biked on Sundays, typically when it was cooler, in the morning (or something like that). They start calling her, no answer, by 2 pm. They know it's really unusual that she'd be gone for hours and hours on a bike ride. Whatever it is, the daughters became worried as the day drew to a close. Sounds like a typical, caring family action to me.

On Mother's Day, one can assume the daughters wanted to call their mom. Someone had had a text from her the day before, and the daughters were winding up a camping trip (apparently). I doubt theycalled just one time. I doubt that Suzanne typically biked all day long. At any rate, by late afternoon, they were worried enough to activate an elderly neighbor to go check.

It doesn't matter what my family (or yours) is like though. In the Morphew family, the daughters thought their mother's absence was significant enough for them to undertake action (we don't know all their actions obviously). We do know that until yesterday, they were kept out of the family home and that one of Suzanne's relatives thought they were "under protection." It will be interesting to see what happens next. One wonders why they didn't stay in the same nearby place as their dad, and why they did not physically try to undertake a search for their mother. If LE wanted them to stay away, there has to be a reason. Perhaps it's CoVid, perhaps not.

As it turns out, Suzanne is still missing, so the daughters' intuition about something being amiss was correct. I believe that's because a series of events on May 9-10 made them worried and uneasy. Even if Suzanne took bike rides at completely random times, her absence (from the daughters' point of view) was significant enough that they initiated a search for her.

What @Dave F. said above was very apropos, IMO.
I agree... I was just speculating that there might be more to the “fear” that caused the urgency. Had it been days since they spoke vs hours ... were they aware of some family problem or issue going on?
We were that way with my older mother who was in bad health, but my kids are not that way with me, I spent a lot of time reading and writing ... and obviously on Websleuths :rolleyes:- sleuthing at times when I’m not outdoors - kayaking on my pond, walking, mowing, or on a tractor. My kids got me an Apple Watch because I don’t answer my phone ... but they don’t call 911. I’m several years older than SM, so I just think there’s more to the fear and urgency. Maybe not, people have their own way of doing things.

Re charming. Even the most educated and intelligent can be fooled by a smart sociopath. If a person doesn't have experience with one of that ilk they can be manipulated, even if they don't realize or acknowledge it.

The one in my life has absolutely everyone fooled, except his six children and ex wives who saw the real personality behind the public facade. The sociopath boasted how easy it was to charm (ie: control) a newly qualified doctor friend of ours. He chuckled as he told me "All I have to do is call him "Doc" and he puffs up". Putty in his hands, but may have considered himself too intelligent to be so easily manipulated.

Yes evil, but with a charming mask. A wolf in sheep's clothing.

Not saying this is the case with BM. Don't know the man.

MOO. JMO.
Yup. Ted Bundy fooled Ann Rule, who was in LE before she became a crime writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam