MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the UK so we don't get to hear about all police brutality/murder. I'm glad that bloke got his his just desserts though

It was international news because he killed a woman from Australia. Her name was Justine Damond--maybe that rings a bell?

One thing that does concern me about this case is Noor only got 12.5 years. If this guy is convicted, I hope he gets way more than that.

Not necessarily. Muhammad Noor got convicted in MN.

Yes, Noor was convicted and got a fairly light sentence. I am not so sure that this murder would have gotten the same treatment. Besides her race, she was the one who called police and the situation seemed so egregious. However, if like many cases of men of color it was reported that Mr. Floyd resisted and being of a larger size, I think it would have been id'ed by many as a justified take down. JMHO

Yes, Noor was convicted and got a fairly light sentence. I am not so sure that this murder would have gotten the same treatment. Besides her race, she was the one who called police and the situation seemed so egregious. However, if like many cases of men of color it was reported that Mr. Floyd resisted and being of a larger size, I think it would have been id'ed by many as a justified take down. JMHO

Considering the reaction from the people of MN, I have to disagree.

given how liberal Minneapolis is (and overall MN) its really disturbing how much racial injustice there is within the criminal justice system here. Of course its a systemic issue in every state but the gap here is so overwhelming and painful. Feels like every year we have similar injustice and then protest and NOTHING IS CHANGING
imo it feels like this may be the "straw that broke the camels back"
...or the devil that broke the black man's neck *barf*
sorry my emotions have been running really high...

How many times have we heard about people who have been killed by police that "if they only would have complied....". I am so sick of that BS statement. Guess what, people don't comply. They don't for various reasons - impairment, injustice, whatever the reason, they sometimes don't comply. It is exactly the job of the police to deal with people who don't comply. It is in their d*mn job description. What is going on in this country that police cannot be properly trained to apprehend people without them ending up dead? People don't comply in other countries as well, yet somehow, they live.

EZDDpO6XkAElEWL

It doesn’t sound like he died later at the hospital as was stated. According to EMS he didn’t have a pulse at the scene. IMO

Minneapolis mayor wants officer charged; all 4 cops in George Floyd's death ID'd; Trump comments: What we know

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/public/@mpd/documents/webcontent/wcmsp-224680.pdf (link taken from above article) snipped from EMS report.

E17 was started code-two to assist EMS on a call, then updated to code-three. Pre-arrival info stated only that pt had trauma to his mouth. E17 arrived at Cup Foods (38th & Chicago) with multiple squads on scene and small crowd of citizens. As 17s attempted to locate the patient, the crew overheard and was told by several people that the police 'had killed the man.' Bystanders were upset but not unruly. No clear info on pt or location was given by either initial pd officers or bystanders. Crew finally located an officer inside the store who stated HCMC medics had loaded the patient and relocated from the scene. E17 encountered an off-duty firefighter who had witnessed the end of the struggle and witnessed the pt go from struggling to unresponsive on the ground while handcuffed and subdued by PD. Dispatch notified E17 that medics needed Fire code-three, and E17 relocated to 36th & Park Ave.

Two crew members got in ambulance. Medics had Lucas device working on an unresponsive, pulseless male. Pt had advanced airway secured; E17 took over ventilations and also assisted medics getting IV and meds prepared. Crew accompanied medics to HCMC STAB room, continuing w/ ministrations. Medics performed pulse checks several times, finding none, and delivered one shock by their monitor. Pt's condition did not change. E17 helped get pt into STAB room, continuing ventilations until relieved by ER staff.

Black man dies in Minneapolis police custody, four officers fired

In Minneapolis, kneeling on a suspect's neck is allowed under the department’s use-of-force policy for officers who have received training in how to compress a neck without applying direct pressure to the airway. It is considered a “non-deadly force option,” according to the department’s policy handbook.

A chokehold is considered a deadly force option and involves someone obstructing the airway. According to the department’s use-of-force policy, officers are to use only an amount of force necessary that would be objectively reasonable.
He'll probably get away with it. They mostly do.

Considering the reaction from the people of MN, I have to disagree.

The people I refer to are the officials in the department, the officials in power, people who stand by LEO and state that non-compliance was met with justified force. But for this video, we can see that it would have been white-washed in the re-telling. It had already started in the reports and all the initial official responses began to look like all of the other ones.

The people of MN are another story. I think people of color and allies are sick of it. Many in the community are also probably sick of it. But.......so far no major changes have really occurred. Maybe this time? Hopefully, but there is always outrage that is usually followed by apathy. I am just a little skeptical and bitter about the lack of change.

It doesn’t sound like he died later at the hospital as was stated. According to EMS he didn’t have a pulse at the scene. IMO

Minneapolis mayor wants officer charged; all 4 cops in George Floyd's death ID'd; Trump comments: What we know

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/public/@mpd/documents/webcontent/wcmsp-224680.pdf (link taken from above article) snipped from EMS report.

E17 was started code-two to assist EMS on a call, then updated to code-three. Pre-arrival info stated only that pt had trauma to his mouth. E17 arrived at Cup Foods (38th & Chicago) with multiple squads on scene and small crowd of citizens. As 17s attempted to locate the patient, the crew overheard and was told by several people that the police 'had killed the man.' Bystanders were upset but not unruly. No clear info on pt or location was given by either initial pd officers or bystanders. Crew finally located an officer inside the store who stated HCMC medics had loaded the patient and relocated from the scene. E17 encountered an off-duty firefighter who had witnessed the end of the struggle and witnessed the pt go from struggling to unresponsive on the ground while handcuffed and subdued by PD. Dispatch notified E17 that medics needed Fire code-three, and E17 relocated to 36th & Park Ave.

Two crew members got in ambulance. Medics had Lucas device working on an unresponsive, pulseless male. Pt had advanced airway secured; E17 took over ventilations and also assisted medics getting IV and meds prepared. Crew accompanied medics to HCMC STAB room, continuing w/ ministrations. Medics performed pulse checks several times, finding none, and delivered one shock by their monitor. Pt's condition did not change. E17 helped get pt into STAB room, continuing ventilations until relieved by ER staff.

He was clearly dead before they got there.

Hennepin County Attorney's Office statement:
"In order to bring charges and obtain a guilty verdict, there are very specific parts of the law which must be met in prosecuting any crime of violence. The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is working as quickly as possible to gather the necessary evidence and we will expeditiously review the case when we receive the case file and make our decision."
Hennepin County Attorney's Office on Twitter

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman response to Mayor Jacob Frey calling for an arrest of the officer:
"This office is aware of Mayor Frey's comments. We are working with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and the Hennepin County Medical Examiner to expeditiously gather and review all of the evidence in the tragic death of Mr. George Floyd.

The videotaped death of Mr. Floyd, which has outraged us and people across the country, deserves the best we can give and that is what this office will do."

upload_2020-5-27_19-1-21.png

Theo Keith on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members