GUILTY NC - Man took family to lunch, left table and drove car into restaurant, killing 2, May 2018

Sounds like in this case it was something more. I mean there are people who kill their whole families and themselves due to deep depression but this seems different
Brain or neurological- I’ve thought from the start. Jmo. Lewy Body Dementia- and many other conditions - cause unexpected violent outbursts.
Lewy body dementia - Symptoms and causes

From my hometown newspaper......
A routine court hearing leading up to an expected August double murder trial for Gaston County businessman Roger Self was punctuated with the father of one of two slain women shouting in court in an expression of grief and frustration.

Father's grief expressed during Roger Self court hearing

I haven't been following this case, but if he took antidepressants I can see how this happened! They have caused people to commit violent acts, kill and suicide. They make a balanced mind unbalanced. If this guy was on them this is not his fault.

Since I don't have access to N.C. court site - I shall post this - maybe a video conference hearing?

Monday, April 27th:
*Status hearing (re competency) (@ am ET) – NC – Katelyn Self (26), daughter & Amanda Self (35), daughter-in-law (May 20, 2018, Bessemer City) – *Roger Glenn Self (62/now 64) arrested & charged (5/20/18) & arraigned (5/13/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder (after allegedly plowing his Jeep into a restaurant where his family were sitting) & assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. And charged, indicted & arraigned (5/13/19) with 2 counts of attempted 1st degree murder & 2 counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill or inflict serious injury. Plead not guilty. $1M bond.
Josh Self (38), his son, was injured and remained in critical but stable condition Monday (5/21/18). Roger Self's wife, Diana (53), was also among the injured and she remained in critical but stable condition Monday (5/21/18).
Trial is set to begin in August, 2020 (no date given).

5/21/18: Made 1st appearance, denied bond. Next appearance on 5/13/19 to serve Self 2 grand jury indictments (issued 6/4/18) each for attempted first-degree murder & assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. Trial is scheduled for Feb. 2020.
5/13/19 Update: Self was served Monday with two counts of attempted first degree murder & two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill or inflict serious injury charges. Those charges relate to Self’s wife Diane & son, Josh. Plead not guilty. 5/13/19: Next hearing on 8/8. And hearing on 12/25/19. 12/25/19: Next hearing is scheduled for Feb. 24, 2020.
2/24/20 Update: Court hearing dealt with procedural issues, mostly related to prosecutors having access to psychological records from defense experts expected to testify about Self’s mental health. Self’s attorney, Rick Beam, told District Attorney Locke Bell and Superior Court Judge Robert Ervin the person examining his client’s mental state has at least one more meeting scheduled with him, but that the report should be completed and available for review by mid April. Bell was agreeable to the timetable and Ervin set the next court hearing over the issue for April 27. Trial is scheduled in August (no date).

Bumping up for maybe @Soulmagent - if you can access the court site? Any updates for court hearings before trial starts in August - maybe?

TIA!
coucouy.gif

Man who drove car into Gaston Co. restaurant, killing family members pleads guilty

Jan. 25, 2021
BESSEMER CITY, NC (WBTV) - A man accused of driving a vehicle into a Gaston County restaurant killing two and injuring multiple family members in May 2018 pleaded guilty to his charges in court Monday.

Roger Self pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree murder.

Before he was taken away, Self yelled at his family, “I love you, you’re my hero.”

Self’s sentencing has not been determined.
[.....]
He entered a guilty plea under the Alford plea, which essentially means he pleads guilty without specifically admitting to the guilt itself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back