Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because maybe LE doesn’t think the bike figures into the scenario at all. Maybe she never took a bike ride that day. Just a possibility. MOO
I quite agree with this scenario. Much has been discussed about the lack of information that has been given to the public concerning her disappearance. That leads me to believe that LE knows exactly who is responsible and also that LE was given credible, convincing evidence perhaps even before they arrived on the scene, as to who is responsible. The fact that LE was so reticent to even discuss her bike being found appears to indicate that they were aware from the start that it was staged and refused to give even one iota of credence to that theory. That also could send a loud and clear message to the person who did the staging, that LE is not buying that ploy, and indeed, knows who is responsible. I have confidence in the way LE is handling the investigation and I could interpret the silence of her family as an indication that they do too. Of course all of this is only my opinion, which may change should evidence emerge that contradicts.

The bike.

I've moved here in the past year. Bikes are gold here as we've found. You must keep your garage closed at all times. If you chain your bike it can't be with a basic chain as it will just be cut and gone. SM had a very nice bike - the kind that would be of big value. I'm no longer on "team she was on a bike ride" that bike would never sit on a trail bridge in Colorado unattended long. Even if it was damaged for some reason. Zero chance. IMO

Do you know what kind of bike she has/had? Where did you get that information? That would be important to know.
I am a cyclist and as some have mentioned, I have many bikes. If someone came to my home they would never know which, or if any were gone. IMO

I also have faith in the cycling subculture, they look out for one another and IMO they would leave it thinking someone had just stepped off trail. If it sat and they saw it multiple times, likely they would step off and look around and then decide to engage LE or strap it on their back as a score. I have some faith in this group, IME they have been helpful and kind.

Oh my goodness it just hit me: do you think someone staged this whole thing to look like a mountain lion attack and just thought everyone would go along with it? Like tell family and friends “it looks like her bike crashed and a mountain lion ate her.” And since this someone might be a respected businessman / public servant, he thought he’d just tell LE that’s what happened too and they’d believe him and not investigate?

In my day job I’m always shocked by how stupid very rich and successful people can be. You just assume these rich people have to be really smart to have gotten where they are. But something like this sounds just like something someone would make up.

And this email to the Indiana Church members was sent Monday, May 11 -- I can't believe the Church members were anything but in shock! This was two days before we heard nephew TN announce the husband's $100,000 reward and separate crowd campaign fund for search efforts. The husband was still unidentified when these announcements made. I just remember being dismayed at how quickly the family spokesperson got their message out. MOO

Oh my goodness it just hit me: do you think someone staged this whole thing to look like a mountain lion attack and just thought everyone would go along with it? Like tell family and friends “it looks like her bike crashed and a mountain lion ate her.” And since this someone might be a respected businessman / public servant, he thought he’d just tell LE that’s what happened too and they’d believe him and not investigate?

In my day job I’m always shocked by how stupid very rich and successful people can be. You just assume these rich people have to be really smart to have gotten where they are. But something like this sounds just like something someone would make up.

I think you may be onto something. The email to the church in Indiana was super odd. Maybe someone thought they could just explain it all
away, and things would just work out.

The reward money just seems so odd to me. If there's anyone out there who could provide information on SM's safe return at this point in time, they would move to the front of the line in terms of a POI, IMO. It's a dead end, a diversion.

In terms of the bike. The nephew infers there was specific damage to the bike but no one has clarified any information regarding the condition of the bike. Damage from what? A wipe out on a trail? Bent wheel? Broken spokes? A collision with a vehicle? Bent frame? Blood evidence? Paint transfer? LE hasn't even really identified where the bike was found, in what condition, and whether it was visible to a casual observer or whether it was discovered by the initial individuals who searched for SM based on the premise she went biking, perhaps on some trail.

So we don't really know what's going on with the bike, whether it played an instrumental role in SM's disappearance or whether it was just a diversion.

We don't know what the 'personal' item was. When I think of serious bike riders I tend to classify items they take with them as either personal or equipment. A helmet would be equipment, a lone shoe would be a personal item. Her Camelback would be equipment, a phone would be a personal item.

Suzanne battled a deadly illness, twice, which means she was strong, mentally, physically, and spiritually so she wasn't a stupid woman. If she endured all the things that entail cancer treatment she wouldn't be cavalier when it came to her safety. She would wear a helmet for safety, she would take a Camelback for hydration and she would be circumspect enough to take a phone with her when she went biking, especially since she was home alone, presumably. So to me the whole bike thing is a diversion.

We have no idea how long SM was alone in the house after her girls went on a camping trip. She may have been gone days before the alert went out. We don't know. And no-one's clarifying that information for us. Not the family nor LE.

In Indiana signing a diversion agreement when charged with an offense means you don't get a conviction on your record if you are a first offender. You do community service or some other type of activity within a time frame and you have your record expunged. You can move anywhere with a clean slate.

Indiana and Colorado divorce laws regarding community property are very similar but there are provisos that could alter what the traditional breadwinner could be entitled to in Colorado.
https://www.hg.org/divorce-law-colorado.html

https://www.hg.org/divorce-law-indiana.html

My speculation here, but I don't think what happened to SM happened in a vacuum. There is someone out there who suspects something or someone but will remain quiet because to voice a suspicion means suspicion will be cast upon them. MOO
I completely agree that there is no way SM would have left on a solo bike ride without a phone and/weapon. It’s simply not reasonable IMO

Yep - exactly - pieces of a puzzle are perhaps coming together IMO

I think that the family was part of a faith based community who wanted to rally around one of their own and get together in prayer and help in any way they could. Someone may have hastily put together an email based on a few things they were told or had heard and sent it out to start a prayer chain and gather forces together to assist.
As far as the fire training in Denver, I do wonder if sloppy reporting by the DM started that. A source may have told them BM had a work thing in Denver and they looked at his listed occupation in social media and next thing you know...

Do you know what kind of bike she has/had? Where did you get that information? That would be important to know.
I am a cyclist and as some have mentioned, I have many bikes. If someone came to my home they would never know which, or if any were gone. IMO

I also have faith in the cycling subculture, they look out for one another and IMO they would leave it thinking someone had just stepped off trail. If it sat and they saw it multiple times, likely they would step off and look around and then decide to engage LE or strap it on their back as a score. I have some faith in this group, IME they have been helpful and kind.
Agreed! I too am part of the cycling community in Colorado. It was many threads back that someone was clever enough to figure it out the model of bike from the MSM pics. I know the bike subculture is amazing so if a bike was just sitting any other biker that passed they would have gone to look and make sure they were ok. Many things can go wrong. It takes a community. IMO. Also I bike every day. If I'm slow and have to even rest they stop to make sure I'm ok. BM choose the wrong story. IMO

It would be hard for me at 49 years old. But she was fairly close to Denver and probably got referrals from her medical team in IN.
So what drove the move then ? Retirement ? No jobs that I can find - having had a terminally ill relative with some potential for a life After treatment, I personally never-not even once- considered moving away from the medical team who previously kept that wonderful life going - I wouldn’t do it unless I myself had a compelling reason to pack up and leave -but that’s just me jMO

The bike.

I've moved here in the past year. Bikes are gold here as we've found. You must keep your garage closed at all times. If you chain your bike it can't be with a basic chain as it will just be cut and gone. SM had a very nice bike - the kind that would be of big value. I'm no longer on "team she was on a bike ride" that bike would never sit on a trail bridge in Colorado unattended long. Even if it was damaged for some reason. Zero chance. IMO
What kind of bike did she have? Do you have a link to a photo, or news report that mentioned the kind of bike? I have searched and haven’t been able to find out what kind of bike she had.

Also could be a local news story heard (over & over in Denver) the day after SM went missing for BM to just add to an existing story IMO

Mountain lion attacks resident, deputy west of Loveland before being shot, killed
And if only he'd kept reading!

Mountain lion attacks against people “are not very common at all,” Duncan said.

An attack in February 2019 made national headlines when a jogger strangled a mountain lion that attacked him on a trail at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space west of Fort Collins.

There were three reported mountain lion sightings in Loveland last year, according to Clay. A mountain lion was seen in west Loveland near Mehaffey Park in June.

PUBLISHED: March 11, 2020 at 4:07 p.m.

I completely agree that there is no way SM would have left on a solo bike ride without a phone and/weapon. It’s simply not reasonable IMO
A phone, yes, but I wouldn’t say that all cyclists necessarily carry weapons. I did carry bear spray when I rode in Alaska but not when riding in Colorado.

If a cyclist is riding solo in an area without cell coverage, sometimes they carry a personal locator beacon. But obviously she wasn’t carrying a beacon or she would have been located.

So what drove the move then ? Retirement ? No jobs that I can find - having had a terminally ill relative with some potential for a life After treatment, I personally never-not even once- considered moving away from the medical team who previously kept that wonderful life going - I wouldn’t do it unless I myself had a compelling reason to pack up and leave -but that’s just me jMO
Exactly. And SM was a teacher which is a very social and respected position in a small town.

Last edited:
I may have missed this info somewhere but did they say if she had her phone? It already seems weird to me that on Mothers day her Kids were not their, her husband was gone and if she went on her bike without a phone I think that would be a huge red flag.

What drove the move? Excluding the husband's role which was likely the force, I'd say a selfless mom wanting to keep her family together during a time she felt her role as a mother and wife was being threatened. Her firstborn was there (i.e., Colorado), maybe she told her mom she was scared *about the cancer and wanted to come home. I could see SM telling her no, stay in school, we will move to you.

ETA: *cancer

Last edited:
And this email to the Indiana Church members was sent Monday, May 11 -- I can't believe the Church members were anything but in shock! This was two days before we heard nephew TN announce the husband's $100,000 reward and separate crowd campaign fund for search efforts. The husband was still unidentified when these announcements made. I just remember being dismayed at how quickly the family spokesperson got their message out. MOO
Trying to control what people are speculating on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member