Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly 300 Massachusetts long-term care facilities have had COVID-19 deaths

The coronavirus has led to deaths at nearly 300 long-term care facilities in Massachusetts, accounting for more than two-thirds of all COVID-19 deaths in the state.

The latest release of data comes as the state records 4,041 total COVID-19 deaths in long-term care facilities. They account for more than two-thirds of the state’s 6,547 deaths from complications linked to the coronavirus.
However, the report appears incomplete. The list of 319 does not include state-run facilities such as the Holyoke Soldiers’ Home or the Chelsea Soldiers’ Home. EOHHS did report in separate updates on Wednesday that the COVID-19 death toll at the Holyoke facility stood at 76, while the tally at the Chelsea facility remained at 31.
Massachusetts/much more at link

Last edited:
Someone on Nextdoor posted this article by Dr. James Stein, a cardiologist at the University of Wisconsin. I thought it was good and worth sharing. I added some bold font. It's a bit lengthy!

How to manage COVID-19 risk as you leave your cocoon

Many people are experiencing intense but expected anxiety as they prepare to leave the shelter of their homes during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a cardiologist in Madison, here is my perspective on managing risk:

The COVID-19 we are facing now is the same disease it was two months ago. The “shelter at home” orders were the right step to make sure we flattened the curve and didn’t overrun the health care system, which would have led to excess preventable deaths. It also bought us time to learn about the disease’s dynamics, preventive measures and best treatment strategies.

But all of our social distancing did not change the disease, which is still here and is not going away anytime soon. We have to learn to live with it and do what we can to mitigate risk. That means being willing to accept some level of risk to live our lives as we desire. I can’t decide that level of risk for you — only you can make that decision.

Pandemic risk management comes with few certainties, other than some people will die, some people in low-risk groups will die, and some people in high-risk groups will survive. It’s about probability.

In these challenging times, our local businesses need your support. Find out how to get food, goods, services and more from those remaining open.

Below is my guidance — my point of view (not my employer’s). And I’m not judging yours.

1. People older than 60 are at higher risk of severe disease — people over 70, even more so. They should be extra careful and willing to take greater precautions than people under 50. People over 60 and those with heart or lung disease should continue to be very vigilant about limiting exposures if they can.

But not seeing family can take a serious emotional toll, so I encourage people to be creative and flexible. In-person visits are not crazy — especially if you have been isolated and have no symptoms. Families can decide how much mingling they are comfortable with — if they want to hug and eat together, distance together with masks, or just stay apart and continue using video conferencing and the telephone to stay in contact.

If you choose to intermingle, remember to practice good hand hygiene. Don’t share plates, utensils or cups. Don’t share towels, and don’t sleep together.

2. Social distancing, not touching your face, and washing and sanitizing your hands are key to prevention. They are vastly more important than anything else you do. Wearing a fabric mask is a good idea in crowded public places, such as a grocery store or public transportation.

3. Be a good citizen. If you think you might be sick, stay home. If you are going to cough or sneeze, turn away from people, block it and sanitize your hands immediately after.

4. Try to dial down the anxiety. If you are taking a walk and someone walks past you, that brief interaction is so low of a risk that it doesn’t make sense to get scared. Smile at them as they approach, turn your head away as they pass, move on. The smile will be more therapeutic than the passing is dangerous. Similarly, if someone bumps into you at the grocery store, don’t stress. That is a very low-risk encounter, too — as long as the person didn’t cough or sneeze in your face.

5. Don’t be obsessive. You don’t need to go crazy sanitizing items that come into your house from outside, such as groceries and packages. If you want to have a staging station for 1 or 2 days before you put things away, sure, no problem. You also can simply wipe things off before they come into your house. That is fine, too. For an isolated family, doorknobs, toilet handles and commonly trafficked light switches could get a wipe off each day. But you don’t need to create a sterile, operating room-like living space.

6. Nothing is absolute. So please get comfortable accepting some calculated risks. Otherwise, you might be isolating yourself for a really, really long time. Figure out how you can be in public and interact with people without fear.

We are social creatures. We need each other. We will survive with and because of each other. Social distancing just means that we connect differently. Being afraid makes us contract and shut each other out. I hope we can fill that space created by fear and contraction with meaningful connections and learn to be less afraid of each of other.

Stein, of Madison, is a cardiologist and serves on the faculty at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health.

Dr. James Stein: How to manage COVID-19 risk as you leave your cocoon

Someone on Nextdoor posted this article by Dr. James Stein, a cardiologist at the University of Wisconsin. I thought it was good and worth sharing. I added some bold font. It's a bit lengthy!

How to manage COVID-19 risk as you leave your cocoon

Many people are experiencing intense but expected anxiety as they prepare to leave the shelter of their homes during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a cardiologist in Madison, here is my perspective on managing risk:

The COVID-19 we are facing now is the same disease it was two months ago. The “shelter at home” orders were the right step to make sure we flattened the curve and didn’t overrun the health care system, which would have led to excess preventable deaths. It also bought us time to learn about the disease’s dynamics, preventive measures and best treatment strategies.

But all of our social distancing did not change the disease, which is still here and is not going away anytime soon. We have to learn to live with it and do what we can to mitigate risk. That means being willing to accept some level of risk to live our lives as we desire. I can’t decide that level of risk for you — only you can make that decision.

Pandemic risk management comes with few certainties, other than some people will die, some people in low-risk groups will die, and some people in high-risk groups will survive. It’s about probability.

In these challenging times, our local businesses need your support. Find out how to get food, goods, services and more from those remaining open.

Below is my guidance — my point of view (not my employer’s). And I’m not judging yours.

1. People older than 60 are at higher risk of severe disease — people over 70, even more so. They should be extra careful and willing to take greater precautions than people under 50. People over 60 and those with heart or lung disease should continue to be very vigilant about limiting exposures if they can.

But not seeing family can take a serious emotional toll, so I encourage people to be creative and flexible. In-person visits are not crazy — especially if you have been isolated and have no symptoms. Families can decide how much mingling they are comfortable with — if they want to hug and eat together, distance together with masks, or just stay apart and continue using video conferencing and the telephone to stay in contact.

If you choose to intermingle, remember to practice good hand hygiene. Don’t share plates, utensils or cups. Don’t share towels, and don’t sleep together.

2. Social distancing, not touching your face, and washing and sanitizing your hands are key to prevention. They are vastly more important than anything else you do. Wearing a fabric mask is a good idea in crowded public places, such as a grocery store or public transportation.

3. Be a good citizen. If you think you might be sick, stay home. If you are going to cough or sneeze, turn away from people, block it and sanitize your hands immediately after.

4. Try to dial down the anxiety. If you are taking a walk and someone walks past you, that brief interaction is so low of a risk that it doesn’t make sense to get scared. Smile at them as they approach, turn your head away as they pass, move on. The smile will be more therapeutic than the passing is dangerous. Similarly, if someone bumps into you at the grocery store, don’t stress. That is a very low-risk encounter, too — as long as the person didn’t cough or sneeze in your face.

5. Don’t be obsessive. You don’t need to go crazy sanitizing items that come into your house from outside, such as groceries and packages. If you want to have a staging station for 1 or 2 days before you put things away, sure, no problem. You also can simply wipe things off before they come into your house. That is fine, too. For an isolated family, doorknobs, toilet handles and commonly trafficked light switches could get a wipe off each day. But you don’t need to create a sterile, operating room-like living space.

6. Nothing is absolute. So please get comfortable accepting some calculated risks. Otherwise, you might be isolating yourself for a really, really long time. Figure out how you can be in public and interact with people without fear.

We are social creatures. We need each other. We will survive with and because of each other. Social distancing just means that we connect differently. Being afraid makes us contract and shut each other out. I hope we can fill that space created by fear and contraction with meaningful connections and learn to be less afraid of each of other.

Stein, of Madison, is a cardiologist and serves on the faculty at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health.

Dr. James Stein: How to manage COVID-19 risk as you leave your cocoon

Great information--thanks for posting it!!!!

New Texas coronavirus cases and deaths continue to drop as reopening slowly continues. Great news!

Deaths and new cases are the lowest reported in almost two months. (Deaths and new cases have dropped even lower since this article was published on May 25th.)

It still may sound like a lot, but Texas has a population of almost 30 million. Anyway, cautiously hopeful and optimistic!

D586C950-8FC6-4DDA-8FBD-9BFCE592D150.jpeg
The two days make up the lowest two-day total of new cases since April 19-20 when 1,273 cases were reported.

The deaths were the lowest two-day total reported in the state since March 31-April 1 when the daily death rate jumped from the low single digits to two consecutive days in the teens.

Statewide Weekend COVID-19 Cases, Deaths Lower as Reopening Continues in Texas

Such good news. Now, with reasonable and stringent controls on travel, it could stay very low (possibly even zero).

I do wonder how both New Zealand and Australia are going to handle these issues (quarantine all incoming persons for 2 weeks seems to be the popular method in some places).

In a presser a few days ago, our Prime Minister (Scott Morrison) said "the hard task was not the closing of our borders, the hard task is how we are going to re-open them" ... or words to that effect.

We feel quite safe in our little contained bubble, but we cannot stay isolated forever. Aussies are not allowed to travel to any international destination at the moment.
(Aussies currently returning from overseas on govt-arranged flights must isolate for 14 days.)

They are anticipating that our travel between Australia and New Zealand will open by September - possibly extending that travel soon after to include a few Pacific islands.

Australia-New Zealand travel bubble could be in place by September, expert group says

Last edited:
New Texas coronavirus cases and deaths continue to drop as reopening slowly continues. Great news!

Deaths and new cases are the lowest reported in almost two months. (Deaths and new cases have dropped even lower since this article was published on May 25th.)

It still may sound like a lot, but Texas has a population of almost 30 million. Anyway, cautiously hopeful and optimistic!

View attachment 248946
Statewide Weekend COVID-19 Cases, Deaths Lower as Reopening Continues in Texas
Depends on where in Texas you check. I have a San Antonio connection and have checked this area many times. 45 NEW cases (May 27)

Coronavirus IRS stimulus payments on prepaid debit cards arriving: What to know

About 4 million people can expect to receive their stimulus cash on the preloaded Visa cards, which are being sent in the mail in plain envelopes marked “Money Network Cardholder Services.” They differ from typical debit cards because they are not linked to bank accounts and instead just come preloaded with an individual’s allotted stimulus payment amount.

The debit cards, issued by the Treasury Department’s financial agent MetaBank, are being sent to some individuals instead of paper checks if they don’t have direct deposit information on file with the tax agency.

More at link.

I don't have a link for it right now, but Tyson has already had 3 outbreaks in Iowa since April. Columbus Junction, Perry, and Waterloo. I have talked about it alot previously with links. Columbus Junction and Waterloo were each closed for around 2 weeks if IIRC. Again IMO because of no links.

Virginia has two large outbreaks at Tyson chicken plants, Eastern Shore and Central VA. Also, Mongram foods (beef jerky, all kinds of meat type snacks). Governor won't let the plants close.

Coronavirus: People in Scotland allowed to meet outdoors in groups of 8 from Friday

People in Scotland will be allowed to meet outdoor in groups of up to eight from tomorrow.

The gatherings can only involve people from two households on the same day and social distancing must be adhered to, Nicola Sturgeon said.

Revealing the nation was moving to phase one of its four-step plan to ease out of lockdown, the first minister said members of the public would be able to gather at distance in a garden or park.

The Scottish Government strongly recommends people do not meet with more than one other household a day, although this will not be legally enforceable.

She said changes could now be made as a downward trend in the spread of the virus was "sustained and unmistakable".

Ms Sturgeon added that people would also now be allowed to sit and sunbathe in local parks.

While no legal limit will be placed on how far people will be allowed to travel for recreation, she said the "strong advice" of the Scottish Government was to stay within five miles.

She added: "We simply don't want, in this phase, large numbers of people at tourist hotspots or beauty spots.

"Crowds of people, even if they're trying to social distance, bring more risk than we judge is acceptable at this point."

This is still so very sad to me, yet a reminder that life does go on despite tragedy. I have also seen this on a personal level lately--my 91 year old neighbor and an 8 month old baby at our church both died in the last week. Our world is diminished because of the loss of both of these precious ones. My heart breaks for both of their families. Yet, life does and must go on. My neighbor leaves behind a wife, daughter, several grands & great-grands. The tiny baby has 3 siblings, Mom, Dad, and grandparents. I'm learning many life lessons through this pandemic, many of them very painful.
Opinion | ‘Dead Inside’: The Morgue Trucks of New York City

After enduring ventilators, body aches, fever, coronavirus survivors say states shouldn't be reopening

Rick Jervis and Kameel Stanley, USA TODAY
May 27, 2020, 6:43 PM EDT

AUSTIN, Texas – Ron Wilkins endured 37 days on a ventilator, a failed kidney, medical paralysis and a mountain of medical bills.

As he slowly recovers from a near-death bout of COVID-19, the disease brought on by the coronavirus, at an acute care hospital near San Antonio, Wilkins and his loved ones face a new worry: states pushing to reopen stores and economies.

"People don’t really understand how serious this is until they know somebody who's going through it," said Rebecca Patterson, Wilkins' longtime girlfriend. "It's only a matter of time before everyone in the country knows someone."

She added, "I don’t know what the solution is, but I don’t think hurrying to open things up is it."

This is interesting. The people I know are selling them, presumably because they see travel as a bad idea right now. Of course, it’s also a somewhat safer way to travel as you have your own facilities.

Edited to remove old post. I sure wish WS would fix the double posting issue!

We have never owned an RV but having your own toilet available would be a major attraction, IMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks