Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
South Korea coronavirus spike stirs second wave concern, social distancing crackdown

"SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea reported 79 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, the most in nearly eight weeks, triggering the return of tougher social distancing curbs amid the spectre of a second wave of disease in a country praised for containing the first outbreak.

At least 82 cases this week have been linked to a cluster of infections at a logistics facility run by Coupang Corp, one of the country’s largest online shopping firms, in Bucheon, west of Seoul, the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said.

About 4,100 workers, including 603 delivery people, at the warehouse were believed to have not properly followed social distancing and protective measures, such as mask wearing, KCDC deputy director Kwon Jun-wook told a briefing."

Iowa numbers today: May 28: Iowa hits 500 COVID-19 deaths, over 10,000 recoveries
246 new confirmed cases and 15 more have passed away for a total of 18,502 confirmed cases and 500 passed away. 10,148 have recovered.
* Also, the IDPH did confirm in the governor's pc just a couple of minutes ago that Tyson in Storm Lake does have an outbreak of 555 "so far" out of 2,400 employees. No link yet. IMO-they do expect the number to rise.

Last edited:
One person with COVID-19 symptoms attends funeral, leads to 21 new cases, Dobbs says

"JACKSON, Miss. —

A person who was showing symptoms of COVID-19 attended a funeral last week in Mississippi, exposing dozens of people to the deadly virus, state health officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs said.

Dobbs released additional information about the incident during a news conference Wednesday.

“It happened in northeast Mississippi. A funeral. An event that was indoors, not at a church,” Dobbs said. “Over 50 people indoors. Within that group, there was one symptomatic person, and now there are 21 cases.”

Please, please forgive my jumping in. I haven’t stayed up on this thread.

Can anyone give me specific examples of that age group getting blood clots first with no other symptoms? I’ve heard reported, but haven’t found many details on it. Working on a differential dx for my child and wondering about this.

edit— sorry, I edited my post before posting and left out — college aged kids!

Last edited:
We have never owned an RV but having your own toilet available would be a major attraction, IMO!
With families wanting to escape for a weekend - pools aren’t open and if they do, it’s going to be vastly different. I can see the allure of an RV.
Pack up the kids and park on the beach.
Swim, do a little fishing, grill out, etc.

San Diego, California has 250 deaths, with a population of 3.5 million. I have no idea why it's so low compared to other populous areas. I can say that most everyone is wearing masks.

With families wanting to escape for a weekend - pools aren’t open and if they do, it’s going to be vastly different. I can see the allure of an RV.
Pack up the kids and park on the beach.
Swim, do a little fishing, grill out, etc.
I think it's a great idea. Every state has something to see and enjoy IMO. Endless possibilities for all ages.

When a doctor starts being political, and use their professional credentials for a political agenda, they have sold their soul. INMO.

But, my issue, is that Dr. Fauci can't say, "There won't be a second wave.". Because he really doesn't know this. How can he say that?

That's not what he said. He said that a second wave is not inevitable. That doesn't mean "can't ever happen." That means we can prevent it with proper action. Which, IMO, is true (although perhaps unlikely given what's happened over the past few days - we'll know more soon).

If we have 1500 deaths in the US in one day (yesterday, Wednesday), then the first wave is still sloshing through - we may never get off the "tail" of this thing (although it sure looks like some states, individually, are getting there).

I'm hoping we go back to being below 1000 soon.

That's not what he said. He said that a second wave is not inevitable. That doesn't mean "can't ever happen." That means we can prevent it with proper action. Which, IMO, is true (although perhaps unlikely given what's happened over the past few days - we'll know more soon).

If we have 1500 deaths in the US in one day (yesterday, Wednesday), then the first wave is still sloshing through - we may never get off the "tail" of this thing (although it sure looks like some states, individually, are getting there).

I'm hoping we go back to being below 1000 soon.

"Not inevitable"? Is that a double negative? I don't know.

But, I still stand with my original statement. He doesn't know what will happen. And he has given out information, then changed course in this. Granted, this is an unprecedented situation.

If you have Hoopla, or Audible a book came out from the "Great Courses" on Infectious Diseases. Amazing information. Highly recommended.

San Diego, California has 250 deaths, with a population of 3.5 million. I have no idea why it's so low compared to other populous areas. I can say that most everyone is wearing masks.

California did shut down early, so that closed some main vectors. Obviously, the masks are working to cut transmission by 50% or perhaps more, if combined with social distancing.

Also, there seems to be a modest effect of warmth + humidity on CoVid transmission. Since restaurant A/C is also a suspected vector, the fact that so many of your wonderful restaurants are partly outdoors/use outdoor air and your weather is so mild...may all be in your favor.

I do wish you well, with what you're going through in reopening. It has to be nerve-wracking.

San Diego may not have as many interior corridor apartment buildings as Los Angeles County (or as many nursing homes). I don't know. But I do know that Santa Barbara County has also fared pretty well (especially if the federal prison figures from a remote part of the county are excluded).

Anyway, given the complexities of how different California counties are, one of my worries going forward is how different each state in our union is. One size fits all may not work for CoVid. I'll be watching with interest to see what approach San Diego City and County take regarding education.

@diggndeeperstill , I found this article and this text pulled from it:

Although typically considered a lung infection, COVID-19 has been found to cause blood clots that can cause severe stroke.

Experts say that this can happen in any patients regardless of age, and even in those with few or no symptoms.
Although typically considered a lung infection, COVID-19 has been found to cause blood clots that can cause severe stroke.

Experts say that this can happen in any patients regardless of age, and even in those with few or no symptoms.
What to Know About COVID-19 and Strokes

So, yes, it could happen in college-age people as an initial symptom, but seems to be very rare. Do you suspect a blood clot in your child? If so, an ER or Dr. visit is in order, IMHO.

Russia's head of coronavirus information says alarm over the virus is 'bullsh-t'

Russia's head of coronavirus information says alarm over the virus is 'bullsh-t'

James Pasley
5 hrs ago
  • On Wednesday, Alexander Myasnikov, Russia's head of coronavirus information, dismissed fears about the virus, saying they were: "bulls---."

• Myasnikov previously said it would be "impossible" for the coronavirus to reach Russia. His role includes battling fake news about the virus and keeping the public informed about prevention and treatment.

• Last week, he celebrated Russia's official low death rate, which has been questioned by experts, by calling it a "Russian miracle."

• "The infection will take its toll and we'll all get it," he also said. "Those meant to die will die. Everyone dies."...
  • "It's all bulls---," he told Sobchak, according to The Moscow Times. "It's all exaggerated. It's an acute respiratory disease with minimal mortality." "Why has the whole world been destroyed? That I don't know," he added.
As of May 28, Russia has the third most cases in the world after Brazil and the US, with 370,680 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 3,968 deaths, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

I'm a healthy 34-year-old who spent 17 days in a coma after contracting COVID-19. Now I'm trying to keep my barbershop in business.

I'm a healthy 34-year-old who spent 17 days in a coma after contracting COVID-19. Now I'm trying to keep my barbershop in business.

Miles Martinez
4 hrs ago
When I first started feeling sick, I didn't even realise it was COVID-19.
I had no pre-existing health conditions.
But after about five days, I realised that I couldn't ignore my high fever and continuous coughing any longer.
I was transferred to the cardiac ICU to be intubated and put on a ventilator for 17 days. From what I've been told (although I wasn't aware when it was happening), my path during this time took many twists and turns. There were many days that the doctors and my family thought might be my last, and it became increasingly difficult to identify what was making me so sick.

Ultimately, it turned out that my immune system was overreacting and a cytokine storm was taking place in my body - which is when the body starts to attack its own cells and tissues rather than just fighting off the virus.

I want people to know that COVID-19 can seriously affect even young, healthy people who think they're invincible.
This experience has also taught me, as a business owner, the importance of being prepared (both financially and logistically) for any situation. Anything can happen, and it's the ability to adapt that can make or break the future of a business.

One chart shows a noticeable correlation between how late a country started its coronavirus lockdown and the number of excess deaths

One chart shows a noticeable correlation between how late a country started its coronavirus lockdown and the number of excess deaths

Mia Jankowicz
5 hrs ago
  • A Financial Times analysis of the excess death rates of 13 countries compared to when they imposed a lockdown has shown a close correlation between the two factors.
  • The data suggests that the less widespread the virus was when a country locked down, the lower the excess death rates.
  • For example, the UK waited until later in the severity of its outbreak before locking down, and now shows a high excess death rate. The opposite is true of Germany.

CDC guidelines on office reopenings. Includes lots of information related to HVAC systems and air circulation in offices. Suggests keeping windows open when possible in order to dilute internal air that is circulating. Other issues addressed as well, including social distancing in workplace parking lots, etc.

Amid coronavirus, CDC offers guidelines on office reopenings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member