Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi: i would like to ask your opinion about something: my husband and I are going back to Michigan next weekend: we are presently in Florida- in any event my husband is on a golf league in Michigan and the plan is for the golf league to begin playing beginning June 1. I am concerned about potential exposure to the virus. they obviously will be outdoors: no indoor dining or drinks: it will be strictly golf. All of the golfers are seniors like my husband. They will not be wearing masks and they may share a cart. I am concerned about potential exposure to my husband in that situation. I don't want to be a wet blanket but it seems a little risky to me. What do
ya'all think? Thank you in advance for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.
Your husband is a senior. Perhaps you are as well. How important is playing golf to your husband? How important is his health to him? How important is your health to him?

Well, the US is working on it. 900 deaths per day.

I am optimistic. We heard some very dire predictions at the beginning that did not come true. Lots of places are upgrading their colored codes. Florida seems to be doing ok with a lot of places open, after the media was ready to run the governor out on a rail. I see no value in the every day pity, and much more value in hope in recognizing all the positives. We are coming back, and it is going to be glorious!

Most of our protests in California in the past few years have been very intimidating. Marchers chanting intimidating slogans, about owning the streets, and literally surrounding cars, shutting down intersections, shutting down freeways, lighting trash cans on fire, smashing police cars, breaking windows, looting.

Often they go to a politician's home, and surround it, screaming and chanting.

It has happened over and over again, with little to no arrests.

Like last night jumping atop the police cars, shutting down the freeway. I don't get it because they DO have a legitimate cause which is only lessened by their dangerous behaviors.

I am optimistic. We heard some very dire predictions at the beginning that did not come true. Lots of places are upgrading their colored codes. Florida seems to be doing ok with a lot of places open, after the media was ready to run the governor out on a rail. I see no value in the every day pity, and much more value in hope in recognizing all the positives. We are coming back, and it is going to be glorious!
The 900 deaths per day is now. It is not a prediction.

One person with COVID-19 symptoms attends funeral, leads to 21 new cases, Dobbs says

"JACKSON, Miss. —

A person who was showing symptoms of COVID-19 attended a funeral last week in Mississippi, exposing dozens of people to the deadly virus, state health officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs said.

Dobbs released additional information about the incident during a news conference Wednesday.

“It happened in northeast Mississippi. A funeral. An event that was indoors, not at a church,” Dobbs said. “Over 50 people indoors. Within that group, there was one symptomatic person, and now there are 21 cases.”
Symptomatic? What the heck?
What is it going to take for people that have symptoms to not be around others and stay home?
I just don’t get it.

Hi: i would like to ask your opinion about something: my husband and I are going back to Michigan next weekend: we are presently in Florida- in any event my husband is on a golf league in Michigan and the plan is for the golf league to begin playing beginning June 1. I am concerned about potential exposure to the virus. they obviously will be outdoors: no indoor dining or drinks: it will be strictly golf. All of the golfers are seniors like my husband. They will not be wearing masks and they may share a cart. I am concerned about potential exposure to my husband in that situation. I don't want to be a wet blanket but it seems a little risky to me. What do

I'd ask your husband to pick a partner to ride in the cart with, consistently - one whom he knows to be social distancing in a reasonable manner (isn't visiting sick people in hospitals, jails or care homes, isn't in regular contact with anyone who is). Or if you can prevail upon him to be in a cart by himself...because to me, the only risk factor in this outdoor scenario is the face-to-face closeness of the cart - and the fact that it may exceed the recommended time for a face-to-face conversation without a mask, outside one's household.

Here's another idea, too. While I know he doesn't want to wear a mask, can you maybe get him to wear wrap around sunglasses or ones with a shielding shape (there are some nice sporty ones) and maybe a neck gaiter? He could just casually pull it up and it would provide a little protection if he's near someone who is coughing or sneezing (or in a cart with someone). It's not as great as the best mask, but it's better than nothing - and you can get some fairly spiffy ones, they're usually double weight fabric.

Michigan is not going to be done with this virus by June 1, and of course, many are still going to be silent carriers (although I'd think many seniors would be symptomatic - are you both okay with the stress of knowing that someone could become symptomatic within the group? and prepared to spring into action if either of you become symptomatic?)

Most of all - you need to figure out how you feel about this. Takes 2-7 days for symptoms to show up, so if he's golfing weekly or more often, you'd have to decide how much distance you want within your own household and how you'll feel about the possibility of either of you being silent transmitters.

If he could only avoid the golf cart closeness, I'd feel so much better (if it were my husband).

Now, where have all the disinfectants gone?
"The study, which was published in BMJ Global Health on Thursday, showed that wearing a mask at home was 79% effective at preventing the spread of the virus -- but only when family members started wearing masks before symptoms emerged in the first person infected. Cleaning the house frequently with bleach or disinfectants was almost equally effective at 77%."
Wearing a mask at home could help stop coronavirus spread among family members, study says - CNN

Reckoning With The Dead: Journalist Goes Inside An NYC COVID-19 Disaster Morgue

gettyimages-1227105658_wide-2840a0a790c11f85a4f3ae941aff7b4d7836ffde-s1700-c85.jpg

The Statue of Liberty is visible behind refrigeration trucks that function as temporary morgues at New York City's South Brooklyn Marine Terminal. "If you're driving by ... you might just assume that this was some sort of distribution hub," Time reporter W.J. Hennigan says. "But they are each filled with up to 90 bodies apiece."
Noam Galai/Getty Images

Editor's note: This interview contains graphic details that some readers may find upsetting.

Of the roughly 100,000 Americans included in the official COVID-19 death count, 20,000 died in New York City in a period of two months. Time magazine reporter W.J. Hennigan recently spent several weeks looking into the practical challenge of how a city deals with so many bodies suffused with a deadly pathogen.

Though he spent years as a war reporter, covering conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, Hennigan says, "Nothing really prepared me for the level of devastation and the amount of death" in New York.

"When you walk into a major U.S. city and you see the sorts of things that they're dealing with — racks of corpses and industrial warehouses full of people dedicated to processing the dead — it's not something that comes natural," he says. "The scale of it is incomparable to anything that we've seen."

More at:
Reckoning With The Dead: Journalist Goes Inside An NYC COVID-19 Disaster Morgue

‘We Do This for the Living.’ Inside New York’s Citywide Effort to Bury Its Dead

Symptomatic? What the heck?
What is it going to take for people that have symptoms to not be around others and stay home?
I just don’t get it.

For a lot more people to get it. And then have to tell healthcare professionals all their recent community activities, so that if the transmitter is still out there, asymptomatically transmitting, they can be found and notified. Maybe getting calls from public health workers to be told they're exposed and/or a transmitter.

Even then, since it's mostly the over 80's who are dying, it won't change the behavior of the under 50's much. Estimates on how much this will affect overall life expectancy vary, of course, but it's estimated the average 60 year old may end up living 5-9 years less than they would have (which will be measured by studying overall demographics and LE, of course). Men will lose a year more than women based on what we know right now.

But really, since only about 20% of people who get CV19 will have serious to severe symptoms, and only a tiny fraction overall will die, it may just become endemic and a common way for people over 75 to die. At the same time, promising treatments seem to be lurking here and there, so that younger people, especially have less to fear from this disease than they did.

Reasons the predictions of dire consequences didn't come true include massive efforts to find treatments and ventilators for everyone who needed them, and of course, the radical social distancing. Most places in the US have been spared high numbers of cases this late winter.

It'll slow during the summer (still lots of shut down measures) and then, we shall see. Care home residents are certainly still at risk.

My biggest fears are the toll it's already taken on healthcare workers, and it still hasn't rolled through more rural areas, where services aren't as strong. However, that won't produce the big media interest that NYC and NJ did, the sheer numbers are still absolutely mind-boggling.

I wish I shared your optimism. However, as a restaurant owner in California, I cannot.
Personally at least in this State, I forsee a blood bath of independent businesses closing for good.
We will probably be one of them.
We cannot earn money at 50% occupancy. We are losing money at 50% occupancy.
Hubby and I refuse to put anymore of our savings into this business or any other business in California.
It's an upside down world at the moment, and actually has been for a long-time here.
<modsnip: politicizing>

Last edited by a moderator:
We are keeping our social circle small - family only (and not even the entire family at this time).

Friends will be later and then there will need to be frank conversations about their work environment and how wide their circle is plus other factors.

Golfing - They are people known to you (not strangers) - right? Probably ok if they social distance and carry wipes to use throughout their time together - also they agree on those things and are on the same page regarding safety/health concerns. That conversation has to happen before going - not once on the golf course.
That’s just my opinion!

Last edited:

That's a long drive. I'd be concerned about exposure enroute, which could become a danger for others if you or your husband becomes infected and then he joins a golf tournament before he develops symptoms.

No masks? Sharing a cart? It seems that there is a potential for caution to be breached.

Having said that, I hope that you have an excellent trip and that all goes well.

Not sure how to feel and I need advice. My daughter and I are on again , off again. She calls me today and says can we have lunch tomorrow?? I tell her that we are in a safer at home order until 7/3. She then states that she really needs to talk to me in person. I told her that I would go to her house on Saturday. I don't mind seeing her at all and am glad that she called but I am not sure how proactive she has been isolating with this virus. I am full of mixed emotions. What do you think???? I will more than likely go because I have not seen her in months. I guess we could sit outside and talk weather permitting. On a side note, my son leaves DC on Saturday. I just hope he can drive the U-Haul 15 hours without having to spend the night anyplace .

On another note, my state is seeing more and more cases.
Alabama Department of Public Health is ‘extraordinarily concerned’ over spike in COVID-19 cases

Last edited:
For a lot more people to get it. And then have to tell healthcare professionals all their recent community activities, so that if the transmitter is still out there, asymptomatically transmitting, they can be found and notified. Maybe getting calls from public health workers to be told they're exposed and/or a transmitter.

Even then, since it's mostly the over 80's who are dying, it won't change the behavior of the under 50's much. Estimates on how much this will affect overall life expectancy vary, of course, but it's estimated the average 60 year old may end up living 5-9 years less than they would have (which will be measured by studying overall demographics and LE, of course). Men will lose a year more than women based on what we know right now.

But really, since only about 20% of people who get CV19 will have serious to severe symptoms, and only a tiny fraction overall will die, it may just become endemic and a common way for people over 75 to die. At the same time, promising treatments seem to be lurking here and there, so that younger people, especially have less to fear from this disease than they did.

Reasons the predictions of dire consequences didn't come true include massive efforts to find treatments and ventilators for everyone who needed them, and of course, the radical social distancing. Most places in the US have been spared high numbers of cases this late winter.

It'll slow during the summer (still lots of shut down measures) and then, we shall see. Care home residents are certainly still at risk.

My biggest fears are the toll it's already taken on healthcare workers, and it still hasn't rolled through more rural areas, where services aren't as strong. However, that won't produce the big media interest that NYC and NJ did, the sheer numbers are still absolutely mind-boggling.

Yes, the numbers are mind-boggling. Have you seen this really neat moving graph visual at the link below?
Source: Global Burden of Disease study, Worldometers populations, Johns Hopkins COVID repository

Global Deaths Due to Various Causes and COVID-19

I wish I shared your optimism. However, as a restaurant owner in California, I cannot.
Personally at least in this State, I forsee a blood bath of independent businesses closing for good.
We will probably be one of them.
We cannot earn money at 50% occupancy. We are losing money at 50% occupancy.
Hubby and I refuse to put anymore of our savings into this business or any other business in California.
It's an upside down world at the moment, and actually has been for a long-time here.
<modsnip: politicizing>

So sorry KALI. If I was near you, I would order from your restaurant everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a long drive. I'd be concerned about exposure enroute, which could become a danger for others if you or your husband becomes infected and then he joins a golf tournament before he develops symptoms.

No masks? Sharing a cart? It seems that there is a potential for caution to be breached.

Having said that, I hope that you have an excellent trip and that all goes well.

Thank you: I am very concerned about contracting this virus en-route through 6 states but I am trying to calm down and think rationally. My plan is to have a bag with paper towels, sanitizer, gloves and masks. When my husband gets gas he will use a glove, then properly dispose of it. When we go into the gas station to use the rest room we will be masked. I don't plan to wipe every surface I touch: this is too overwhelming. I think the important thing is to wash and scrub my hands really well, use lots of hand sanitizer and don't touch my face. We will have to get fast food and eat in the car. I will remain a nervous wreck until we get home and then I will remain a nervous wreck for at least 5 days after we get home!!! I am dreading this trip.

We are keeping our social circle small - family only (and not even the entire family at this time).

Friends will be later and then there will need to be frank conversations about their work environment and how wide their circle is plus other factors.

Golfing - They are people known to you (not strangers) - right? Probably ok if they social distance and carry wipes to use throughout their time together - also they agree on those things and are on the same page regarding safety/health concerns. That conversation has to happen before going - not once on the golf course.
That’s just my opinion!

I would prefer he not golf with these guys for the reasons that you mention: To my way of thinking, this is no team for "buddies": this is a time to try and survive: we are both in our 70's and in that vulnerable category. What kind of wipes are you describing? there is no way to get Clorox wipes- are there any other kind i could get at Walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021