I am looking for answers for my sister..

@CuriousLittleKitty , if you & your sibs were in the custody of the State, there should have been a Guardian Ad Litem or a court appointed attorney for you.

http://childlaw.unm.edu/assets/stor...child with perf stand June 2014 REV FINAL.pdf

A copy of any court document about your case should have this attorney's name. Your GAL or that attorney's files should have information for you.

You might also try the Children's Rights Advocacy group, link provided in this article:

New Mexico

Best, Laughing

There is an institution called Namaste Child and Family Development Center in New Mexico. According to Namaste Child and Family Development Center ,this institution was founded in 1989. You can check further details from the above link. I mentioned this place because you said that you called that place 'Da Masta' which is strikingly similar to 'Namaste' . Not much information is available about this place on the internet. Hope this helps.

I found this article about Namaste. Apparently it closed as a residential treatment facility in 2007, but they kept the house. I wonder if you might recognize the house @CuriousLittleKitty, assuming a photo is available.

TOME—At the far reaches of Hob Road, nestled at the foot of Tomé Hill is a house that looks much like every other house in that rural neighborhood.

If all goes according to plan, instead of being a home to just one family, in the near future it will be a home for several children in need of help and healing as a shelter and group home operated by La Familia-Namaste.

The name Namaste should have some familiarity to Valencia County residents since the house was the Namaste Child and Family Development Center, a residential treatment foster care home until it closed its residential services in 2007.

Namaste continued, offering outpatient services and programs to foster children before merging with La Familia in 2012. La Familia began as an adoption and treatment foster care agency in 1988.

Group home for children to soon open

This man, Chris McCaffrey, was a founder of the Namaste Treatment Center.

He was a co-founder of two successful residential treatment centers specializing in the treatment of children suffering from reactive attachment disorder and relationship difficulties, Namaste Child and Family Development Center and Sandhill Child Development Center both in Los Lunas, NM.

https://www.awakeawareabq.com/chris-mccaffrey/

@CuriousLittleKitty, I neglected to tell you how very sorry I am about what happened to your sister and to all of you. :( I hope you can get enough information to gain insight into your sister.

It seems that Namaste had a number of “treatment centers” if you scroll down the list I’ve linked...

Residential Treatment Centers in New Mexico | Alcohol, Drugs, Depression

The Hob Rd Los Lunas location mentioned in the article in my previous post was built in 1995. Does that fit the timeframe @CuriousLittleKitty? Here is a link with a few photos in case you might recognize it. Would Los Lunas be a long drive from your childhood home?

40 Hob Rd, Los Lunas, NM 87031 - realtor.com®

It’s hard to tell who owns it now, but I don’t think the shelter mentioned in the article I posted above ever happened. I’ve seen it listed as a school, drug treatment center and a therapist’s location, but it’s impossible to tell the dates. If y0u google the address you can see all this, but I don’t want to post more here to protect the privacy of whoever is there now.

One other thought is that I noticed “reactive attachment disorder” (RAD) listed as something Namaste dealt with, according to the info about one of the founders (McCaffrey) that I posted. While this is a legitimate clinical diagnosis, sometimes a very controversial treatment called “holding therapy” is used. It is also used for autism in some settings. It can be traumatic for a child and has resulted in several deaths. Of course, there is no way of knowing if Namaste used it, or if your sister experienced it, assuming she was there. But it could explain her trauma.

http://www.researchautism.net/interventions/71/holding-therapy-and-autism?print=1

Yes some of my moms first cousins were and are still scientologist. These are some of the family members my mom was closest with for a decade.
That is interesting that your mom had ties thru family. I have never been involved but have followed stories and read memoirs of ex-members (some of who spent time at "the ranch"). Leah Remini also covered the ranches in her show(aftermath) :
https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news/leah-remini-scientology-aftermath-child-scientology/or

5-6 would be very young based on my minimal knowledge of the school, but Scientology believes children are just "little adults"so it is possible they took on a younger child. There are lots of active forums of ex members who can offer a lot more information on the ranches (there was one in NM and one in CA)if you want to pursue this as a possibility. Good luck!

@CuriousLittleKitty , if you & your sibs were in the custody of the State, there should have been a Guardian Ad Litem or a court appointed attorney for you.

http://childlaw.unm.edu/assets/stories/flow-chart-of-child-abuse-and-neglect-cases/story_content/external_files/CW chapter 06 GAL for child with perf stand June 2014 REV FINAL.pdf

A copy of any court document about your case should have this attorney's name. Your GAL or that attorney's files should have information for you.

You might also try the Children's Rights Advocacy group, link provided in this article:

New Mexico

Best, Laughing
Our attorneys were neglectful or overwhelmed and never showed up to their appointments or made contact with us. I've given up on trying to find information through the state at this point in my life but, thank you it is a good suggestion.

That is interesting that your mom had ties thru family. I have never been involved but have followed stories and read memoirs of ex-members (some of who spent time at "the ranch"). Leah Remini also covered the ranches in her show(aftermath) :
https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news/leah-remini-scientology-aftermath-child-scientology/or

5-6 would be very young based on my minimal knowledge of the school, but Scientology believes children are just "little adults"so it is possible they took on a younger child. There are lots of active forums of ex members who can offer a lot more information on the ranches (there was one in NM and one in CA)if you want to pursue this as a possibility. Good luck!
Yes, it is very young its unbelievable to me my mom was able to ship her off somewhere so young to be honest with you. I don't feel she was treated the way a child should have been.

@CuriousLittleKitty, I neglected to tell you how very sorry I am about what happened to your sister and to all of you. :( I hope you can get enough information to gain insight into your sister.

It seems that Namaste had a number of “treatment centers” if you scroll down the list I’ve linked...

Residential Treatment Centers in New Mexico | Alcohol, Drugs, Depression

The Hob Rd Los Lunas location mentioned in the article in my previous post was built in 1995. Does that fit the timeframe @CuriousLittleKitty? Here is a link with a few photos in case you might recognize it. Would Los Lunas be a long drive from your childhood home?

40 Hob Rd, Los Lunas, NM 87031 - realtor.com®

It’s hard to tell who owns it now, but I don’t think the shelter mentioned in the article I posted above ever happened. I’ve seen it listed as a school, drug treatment center and a therapist’s location, but it’s impossible to tell the dates. If y0u google the address you can see all this, but I don’t want to post more here to protect the privacy of whoever is there now.

One other thought is that I noticed “reactive attachment disorder” (RAD) listed as something Namaste dealt with, according to the info about one of the founders (McCaffrey) that I posted. While this is a legitimate clinical diagnosis, sometimes a very controversial treatment called “holding therapy” is used. It is also used for autism in some settings. It can be traumatic for a child and has resulted in several deaths. Of course, there is no way of knowing if Namaste used it, or if your sister experienced it, assuming she was there. But it could explain her trauma.

http://www.researchautism.net/interventions/71/holding-therapy-and-autism?print=1
I noticed that too, I wonder if that is the type of classification she fell into. As far as holding therapy we have all experienced this including me and yes it was awful but, I think there was something else that went on because holding therapy was normalized to us.

I noticed that too, I wonder if that is the type of classification she fell into. As far as holding therapy we have all experienced this including me and yes it was awful but, I think there was something else that went on because holding therapy was normalized to us.

Words fail me! I can’t imagine what your childhood must have been like for all of you to have experienced holding therapy. Terrifying!

Are you thinking that the “something else” that went on may have been sexual abuse? I hate to even ask, but it’s sort of the “elephant in the living room.” Y0ur sister was clearly traumatized at that facility...perhaps even by older residents, if not staff.

Thank you everyone for writing, this is a heavy subject so I haven't been as consistent as I intended to be.

You’re very brave to be here at all. Hugs!

No appologies are required here. Take your time and come back with questions or answers or both or neither. Websleuths.com is a lovely place to be there's always lots going on.
There are probably forums of folks with Autism or somewhere on the spectrum. If not that then something else. Browse the forums. I feel certain you will find like minded people here.

No appologies are required here. Take your time and come back with questions or answers or both or neither. Websleuths.com is a lovely place to be there's always lots going on.
There are probably forums of folks with Autism or somewhere on the spectrum. If not that then something else. Browse the forums. I feel certain you will find like minded people here.
I look forward to it, thank you for being so welcoming. I really love mysteries and true crime so I think this is a really cool place.
Words fail me! I can’t imagine what your childhood must have been like for all of you to have experienced holding therapy. Terrifying!

Are you thinking that the “something else” that went on may have been sexual abuse? I hate to even ask, but it’s sort of the “elephant in the living room.” Y0ur sister was clearly traumatized at that facility...perhaps even by older residents, if not staff.

You’re very brave to be here at all. Hugs!

Don't worry I'm not offended, it is definitely off limits for us to ask her that. I've had suspicions about it also. I have no idea what happened there when she was with out me or my other sister to be honest though. That is why I was trying to find any shred of information. I didn't expect them to be so private online. At least someone was able to track the place down.
Thank you for you support and kindness I am fine now if it makes you feel better to know. We are all away from that sort of situation now and in full control of our own lives.

I look forward to it, thank you for being so welcoming. I really love mysteries and true crime so I think this is a really cool place.

Don't worry I'm not offended, it is definitely off limits for us to ask her that. I've had suspicions about it also. I have no idea what happened there when she was with out me or my other sister to be honest though. That is why I was trying to find any shred of information. I didn't expect them to be so private online. At least someone was able to track the place down.
Thank you for you support and kindness I am fine now if it makes you feel better to know. We are all away from that sort of situation now and in full control of our own lives.
Beautiful words from a beautiful soul. I hope you stick around.

If it is something you like to do, come to the nightly podcast for Websleuths .It is on every night at 10:00 pm eastern time.

Last edited:
I'm not a doc, this is just my opinion. You say you want to help your sister and understand where she's coming from by trying to go back to the learn about the place she was put long ago? To learn what's upsetting to her? Your sister is still alive and you want to help her cope?

I hope I'm understanding you correctly. What you describe is something very traumatic, like PTSD, flashbacks, just the mention you said of the name gets to her :( That's horrible I'm so sorry.

There's never really a way to understand another's trauma, except to be compassionate and have patience. Taking into account the timeline and what those types of places were like, wow just gives me shivers. She experienced that as a child, wow.

Don't bring it up. Look to other ways to help her, where she may of fallen/not up to things. Do the shopping, laundry, bring a pizza, clean up, just sit there do nothing but be there. That's what I would do for my sister.

Again, I'm so sorry :( I look forward to hearing better news <3

I'm not a doc, this is just my opinion. You say you want to help your sister and understand where she's coming from by trying to go back to the learn about the place she was put long ago? To learn what's upsetting to her? Your sister is still alive and you want to help her cope?

I hope I'm understanding you correctly. What you describe is something very traumatic, like PTSD, flashbacks, just the mention you said of the name gets to her :( That's horrible I'm so sorry.

There's never really a way to understand another's trauma, except to be compassionate and have patience. Taking into account the timeline and what those types of places were like, wow just gives me shivers. She experienced that as a child, wow.

Don't bring it up. Look to other ways to help her, where she may of fallen/not up to things. Do the shopping, laundry, bring a pizza, clean up, just sit there do nothing but be there. That's what I would do for my sister.

Should we apologize to you for showing her compassion and acceptance.
She obviously is doing what she thinks is best.
Why do you want to bring something positive down?
I am probably gonna be in trouble for stating MOO. Its worth it.

@CuriousLittleKitty (I love your name by the way!)...It sounds like you all have overcome tremendous odds to get to this point. Be sure to give yourselves lots of credit! I’m glad we’ve been able to help find some answers to your family mystery so that you can have a bit more insight into your sister so that you can give her whatever support she needs and wants.

I agree with @ogls suggestions below. Being a steady non-judging presence in your sister’s life is the best healing you can give her. Anything more is kind of “above your pay grade” as her sister, since you are not her therapist and PTSD is tricky to treat. I’m guessing she’s in her mid-20’s by now and has “compartmentalized” what happened so that she can manage her life. She may not want to “rock the boat” by seeking therapy. So she may continue to live with her understandable trust issues unless or until she decides she needs help.

I’m going to offer a little unsolicited advice, since you clearly want to ease your sister’s pain and help her. You don’t mention whether she has ever worked with a therapist as an adult. I think you have standing as her sister to suggest it, but only if she is not coping well with her current life because of her traumatic past and is unloading on you excessively or if she’s in crisis. If you let her confide in you as her ongoing informal “therapist” she won’t ever see the need to talk to a professional...and you will burn out. I’m not saying that’s what you’re doing at all, but just a heads up that taking on that role can actually prevent her from getting help. That’s the only bit of advice I’d add to what @ogls said. I hope I haven’t overstepped.

Your sister is very fortunate to have someone as loving as you in her life. I wish you all every happiness. :)

Great post!

Last edited:
Should we apologize to you for showing her compassion and acceptance.
She obviously is doing what she thinks is best.
Why do you want to bring something positive down?
I am probably gonna be in trouble for stating MOO. Its worth it.

Not in “trouble” @Dsasleuth. :) You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. But I have a more positive take on it and I hope @CuriousLittleKitty does too. I read the post as @ogls reflecting back to CLK what ogls understood CLK was saying her purpose and goals were regarding her sister. Reflecting is a method commonly used to insure clear communication and understanding. That way if ogls got something wrong, CLK could correct her misunderstanding. I didn’t see it as criticizing her at all, unless I missed something. Then ogls proceeded to offer a comment about PTSD and then suggestions for how to help her sister without discussing her experience, since her sister doesn’t want to talk about it. I think we’re all on the same page here.

Not in “trouble” @Dsasleuth. :) You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. But I have a more positive take on it and I hope @CuriousLittleKitty does too. I read the post as @ogls reflecting back to CLK what ogls understood CLK was saying her purpose and goals were regarding her sister. Reflecting is a method commonly used to insure clear communication and understanding. That way if ogls got something wrong, CLK could correct her misunderstanding. I didn’t see it as criticizing her at all, unless I missed something. Then ogls proceeded to offer a comment about PTSD and then suggestions for how to help her sister without discussing her experience, since her sister doesn’t want to talk about it. I think we’re all on the same page here.
I read it very differently. I am pretty open minded, I will consider your interpretation and apologize if I got it wrong.
Thank you for being kind.
I realize even now that my reponse was not very kind. For that I humbly apologize.

I read it very differently. I am pretty open minded, I will consider your interpretation and apologize if I got it wrong.
Thank you for being kind.
I realize even now that my reponse was not very kind. For that I humbly apologize.

And if you still read it that way, it’s perfectly fine. You may be right. You’re sweet to apologize. I wouldn’t mind having a nickel for all the apologies I’ve needed to make on these threads. :D We care deeply, so we sometimes jump in without weighing our words. There are some who don’t care that they’ve been unkind, but you do, and for that I thank you! :)

And if you still read it that way, it’s perfectly fine. You may be right. You’re sweet to apologize. I wouldn’t mind having a nickel for all the apologies I’ve needed to make on these threads. :D We care deeply, so we sometimes jump in without weighing our words. There are some who don’t care that they’ve been unkind, but you do, and for that I thank you! :)
Same. Peace and love!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back