MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So instead of focusing on George Floyd and showing the video of his horrendous murder over and over again, the media is focused on riots and people looting.

Way to get a message out!! (Sarcasm)

Well...should they show his murder over and over again? I wouldn't keep showing the video. It's disrespectful and maybe desensitizing - like movie violence. Plus, I'm sure there are some who actually enjoy watching it. But mostly, it's just disrespectful and agonizing to the family, and traumatizing to the rest of us. As for the riots, they represent immediate danger that could spread. If I lived near them, I would want to know what's going on. JMO.

Well...should they show his murder over and over again? I wouldn't keep showing the video. It's disrespectful and maybe desensitizing - like movie violence. Plus, I'm sure there are some who actually enjoy watching it. But mostly, it's just disrespectful and agonizing to the family, and traumatizing to the rest of us. As for the riots, they represent immediate danger that could spread. If I lived near them, I would want to know what's going on. JMO.
I agree that they shouldn't show the video, but it would be great if there were more stories about what people are doing to peacefully protest, or what some are doing to honor his memory, like the article about the people in Italy.

Last edited:
Call to EMTs was 8:30 and they arrived in 6 minutes. There was no way that they would be able to save Mr. Floyd.

“Please, I can’t breathe,” he said.

“Get up, get in the car,” one of the cops is heard saying while Floyd remains pinned down by Chauvin.

“I will, I can’t move,” Floyd responds.

He then stops moving altogether.

Police called EMTs around 8:30 p.m. and they arrived in six minutes to find an unconscious and unresponsive Floyd, according to Hennepin County Healthcare EMS Chief Marty Scheerer.

Paramedics and police eventually flipped Floyd over while he was still cuffed, placed him on a gurney and into an ambulance, where a responder released his hands.

Their decision to “load and go,” rather than triage Floyd on the spot, was likely based on their race against time, Scheerer said, adding that responders were likely unaware of how severe the situation had become.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/28/everything-we-know-about-the-death-of-george-floyd/

I think the chief's words are apt saying his department contributed to a "deficit of hope" in the city. The question remains about why there weren't further steps taken prior but the sentiment seems to be genuine.

The chief of the Minneapolis police on Thursday apologized to the family of an unarmed black man who died this week after a white officer pinned him down with a knee to the neck, a fatal encounter that has triggered two nights of violent protests.

Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said his department had contributed to a “deficit of hope” across the Minnesota city even before the death of 46-year-old George Floyd on Monday.

“I am absolutely sorry for the pain, devastation and the trauma that Mr. Floyd’s death has left on his family, his loved ones and our community,” he said.

Minneapolis police chief apologizes to George Floyd's family

The video is horrific and sickening to most people. It angers them (black, white, purple whatever people). Like when we were all watching 911 coverage. As a nation we responded.

But now, I actually heard someone say, "OMG, they done looted a Dollar General" followed by a bunch of laughter.

When Kelly Thomas was murdered, real changes were made as far as how LE deal with the mentally disabled. No, his killers were not punished but at least progress was made. But in that case there were no looters or rioters. Real issues were addressed and changes were made.

Call to EMTs was 8:30 and they arrived in 6 minutes. There was no way that they would be able to save Mr. Floyd.

“Get up, get in the car,” one of the cops is heard saying while Floyd remains pinned down by Chauvin.

Police called EMTs around 8:30 p.m. and they arrived in six minutes to find an unconscious and unresponsive Floyd, according to Hennepin County Healthcare EMS Chief Marty Scheerer.

Paramedics and police eventually flipped Floyd over while he was still cuffed, placed him on a gurney and into an ambulance, where a responder released his hands.

Their decision to “load and go,” rather than triage Floyd on the spot, was likely based on their race against time, Scheerer said, adding that responders were likely unaware of how severe the situation had become.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/28/everything-we-know-about-the-death-of-george-floyd/
Just to add to that, it was 8:25 when he appeared to stop breathing and they found no pulse, and another three minutes that the officer kneeled on his neck without even glancing at him or showing any signs of concern. They waited five minutes until they called for help, and didn't even give them accurate information about his status.

Imo

The video is horrific and sickening to most people. It angers them (black, white, purple whatever people). Like when we were all watching 911 coverage. As a nation we responded.

But now, I actually heard someone say, "OMG, they done looted a Dollar General" followed by a bunch of laughter.

When Kelly Thomas was murdered, real changes were made as far as how LE deal with the mentally disabled. No, his killers were not punished but at least progress was made. But in that case there were no looters or rioters. Real issues were addressed and changes were made.
I see your point. Well said.

Yes, apparantly they tried several times to put him in the police car but he told them he was claustrophobic and couldn't breathe. He apparently resisted by refusing to get in the car and by falling down.

From the complaint.

It was at that point they should have called for medical assistance instead of forcing him to the ground, kneeling on his neck and mocking him for saying he couldn't breathe.

That he resisted several times is not the issue, what is relevant is that he was senselessly murdered.

Imo
It says they got him in the passenger side of the car but then pulled him out. Why did they pull him out after getting him in? Is that explained anywhere?

The defendant pulled Mr. Floyd out of the passenger side of the squad car at 8:19:38 p.m. and Mr. Floyd
went to the ground face down and still handcuffed. Kueng held Mr. Floyd’s back and Lane held his legs. The
defendant placed his left knee in the area of Mr. Floyd’s head and neck. Mr. Floyd said, “I can’t breathe”
multiple times and repeatedly said, “Mama” and “please,” as well. The defendant and the other two officers
stayed in their positions.

[If GF was IN THE CAR, why did DC remove him from the car?]

Last edited:
I do not agree with 3rd degree murder.

I feel he should be charged with first degree or no less than second degree murder.

The other officer checked George's pulse, and he had none, and told the suspect yet he still kept his knee on his neck.

No way should this be manslaughter. Imo the facts as known doesnt support the lower charge.

Jmhoo
@oceanblueeyes I totally agree. I was very shocked to see 3rd degree murder. I thought it was obviously 1st degree murder. I think this charge was a slap in the face to a lot of people.

It really, really pisses me off that the original statement from the Minneapolis PD (among other inaccuracies) tried to obfuscate exactly when GF had the health issue that required them to call EMS.
Investigative Update on Critical Incident - Minneapolis Police

@oceanblueeyes I totally agree. I was very shocked to see 3rd degree murder. I thought it was obviously 1st degree murder. I think this charge was a slap in the face to a lot of people.
Based on their charging document, the autopsy did not reveal a link between DC's actions and Mr. Floyd's death wrt strangulation. I think that is what the DA meant when he made that comment the other day about the evidence. I agree with you that DC's actions warrant a higher charge, but I want him to be found guilty. If that requires 3rd degree charge, then I guess that'll have to do. I just can not stand to see another ex-cop walk free.

It really, really pisses me off that the original statement from the Minneapolis PD (among other inaccuracies) tried to obfuscate exactly when GF had the health issue that required them to call EMS.
Investigative Update on Critical Incident - Minneapolis Police

It makes me wonder how many other cases got this whitewash treatment. Just to see how ridiculous this statement by the PD was versus the truth of what we saw on video:

On Monday evening, shortly after 8:00 pm, officers from the Minneapolis Police Department responded to the 3700 block of Chicago Avenue South on a report of a forgery in progress. Officers were advised that the suspect was sitting on top of a blue car and appeared to be under the influence.

Two officers arrived and located the suspect, a male believed to be in his 40s, in his car. He was ordered to step from his car. After he got out, he physically resisted officers. Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress. Officers called for an ambulance. He was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center by ambulance where he died a short time later.

At no time were weapons of any type used by anyone involved in this incident.

It says they got him in the passenger side of the car but then pulled him out. Why did they pull him out after getting him in? Is that explained anywhere?

The defendant pulled Mr. Floyd out of the passenger side of the squad car at 8:19:38 p.m. and Mr. Floyd
went to the ground face down and still handcuffed. Kueng held Mr. Floyd’s back and Lane held his legs. The
defendant placed his left knee in the area of Mr. Floyd’s head and neck. Mr. Floyd said, “I can’t breathe”
multiple times and repeatedly said, “Mama” and “please,” as well. The defendant and the other two officers
stayed in their positions.

[If GF was IN THE CAR, why did DC remove him from the car?]
Good point. It sounds like he yanked him out of the car just so he could throw him on the ground and abuse him. Another officer asked if they should turn him over and the officer said no. I would think it would have been easier to breathe on his back, without his chest pushed down against the pavement.

I don't know why the officer wasn't charged with murder with intent and premeditation.

Has anyone posted his mugshot yet? I haven't seen it.

Good point. It sounds like he yanked him out of the car just so he could throw him on the ground and abuse him. Another officer asked if they should turn him over and the officer said no. I would think it would have been easier to breathe on his back, without his chest pushed down against the pavement.

I don't know why the officer wasn't charged with murder with intent and premeditation.

Has anyone posted his mugshot yet? I haven't seen it.

mugshot here:

Derek Chauvin, officer arrested in George Floyd’s death, has a record of shootings and complaints | TribLIVE.com

5C014311-B7FE-44EC-BAE6-8304056E385B.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member