Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHO guidance: Healthy people should wear masks only when ‘taking care of’ coronavirus patients

This is why people are confused: The WHO says healthy people should wear masks only when taking care of Coronavirus patients: this is clearly at odds with CDC guidelines.

The way I see it, a mask is a barrier- so if someone sneezes or coughs, their droplets stay in the mask--- so what is the harm in wearing it? If someone is asymptomatic, even breathing on someone for a protracted period of time can spread the virus.

i think the WHO is giving bad advice and i just don't understand it.

Belgian prince tests positive for coronavirus after attending gathering in Spain

Belgian prince tests positive for coronavirus after attending gathering in Spain

By Graham Keeley
2 hrs ago
BARCELONA, May 30 (Reuters) - A nephew of Belgium's King Philippe, Prince Joachim, has tested positive for coronavirus after attending a party in Spain, which Spanish media said broke lockdown rules because of the number of people there.

The prince, 28, tested positive after attending the gathering in the southern city of Cordoba on May 26, a spokesperson for the Belgian Royal Palace said on Saturday.

Chinese Covid-19 Vaccine Expected to Begin Mass Output This Year
BBiuEYL.img

Bloomberg News
7 hrs ago
A front-running Covid-19 vaccine candidate being developed in China is expected to be available as soon as the end of this year, according to a report published in the official Wechat account of the State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission.

The vaccine, jointly developed by the Beijing Institute of Biological Products and China National Biotec Group Co., has completed phase II testing and may be ready for the market at the end of this year or early next year, said the report.

BBiuEYL.img

Bloomberg News
7 hrs ago
A front-running Covid-19 vaccine candidate being developed in China is expected to be available as soon as the end of this year, according to a report published in the official Wechat account of the State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission.

The vaccine, jointly developed by the Beijing Institute of Biological Products and China National Biotec Group Co., has completed phase II testing and may be ready for the market at the end of this year or early next year, said the report.
I don't believe it TBH.

From the link-

"President Xi Jinping has promised to share any successful vaccine globally, but Chinese companies still face challenges. Phase III testing needs to be done in a place where the coronavirus is still spreading rapidly, and China’s cases have dwindled to a handful each day. Also, an effective vaccine needs massive production capabilities in order to meet global distribution demands."

I wonder where they can test it then?

BBiuEYL.img

Bloomberg News
7 hrs ago

I would guess we (the US) won't be invited to that party.

I don't believe it TBH.

From the link-

"President Xi Jinping has promised to share any successful vaccine globally, but Chinese companies still face challenges. Phase III testing needs to be done in a place where the coronavirus is still spreading rapidly, and China’s cases have dwindled to a handful each day. Also, an effective vaccine needs massive production capabilities in order to meet global distribution demands."

I wonder where they can test it then?

I don't trust it. it is too quick for one thing. Just think of all the contaminated medications and other items from China (like Dog food) we have received her in the United States.

India posts record jump in COVID-19 cases, Modi says 'long battle' ahead

India posts record jump in COVID-19 cases, Modi says 'long battle' ahead

By Neha Arora and Rupam Jain
7 hrs ago
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India reported a record daily jump of 7,964 new COVID-19 infections on Saturday, with a recent surge in cases as lockdown restrictions start to ease raising the possibility that Prime Minister Narendra Modi could extend curbs beyond May 31.

Great Australia acted quickly, announcing the Pandemic BEFORE WHO (in earlier posts).

35,000 infections: the cost of a one-week delay in COVID clampdown

35,000 infections: the cost of a one-week delay in COVID clampdown

Kate Aubusson
1 hour ago
Australia's COVID-19 restrictions came just in time to avert disaster, with new modelling showing waiting just one more week risked infections ballooning to 35,000.

Waiting another to introduce border closures and social distancing measuring could have led to a five-fold increase in Australia's current infections.

That's the finding of a new paper analysing the pattern of coronavirus infections using a technique dubbed "back projecting".

Mortality rates, hospitalisations and ICU admissions would rise by the same magnitude, said study author Professor Ian Marschner at the University of Sydney's Faculty of Medicine and NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre.

The death toll that currently stands at 103 could instead have been over 500. On Sunday, the national tally of confirmed cases was 7185.
The federal government received some criticism for the strong measures it took in February and March, including from the World Health Organisation which initially disagreed with Australia's border controls.

sorry if already posted..
May 29, 2020
Monkeys escape lab with COVID-19 samples in ‘Planet of the Apes’ breakout
''India is grappling with an incident straight out of a movie after several monkeys escaped from a laboratory with COVID-19-tainted blood samples in hand.

The incident happened at a medical college in Meerut, a city in the Uttar Pradesh area of northern India on Tuesday, according to officials.

“Monkeys grabbed and fled with the blood samples of four COVID-19 patients who are undergoing treatment,” Dr. S. K. Garg, a top official at the college, told Reuters. He added that it’s unclear whether the tubes of blood had been spilled.''

''The monkeys attacked a lab technician before they escaped, the Times of India reports. One of the monkeys was seen eating a surgical glove, according to NDTV.''

WHO guidance: Healthy people should wear masks only when ‘taking care of’ coronavirus patients

This is why people are confused: The WHO says healthy people should wear masks only when taking care of Coronavirus patients: this is clearly at odds with CDC guidelines.

The way I see it, a mask is a barrier- so if someone sneezes or coughs, their droplets stay in the mask--- so what is the harm in wearing it? If someone is asymptomatic, even breathing on someone for a protracted period of time can spread the virus.

I agree. I think they need to update and revise their guidance on mask use.

WHO also recommends wearing a mask if you are coughing or sneezing, but this ignores people who have the virus but are presymptomatic:
  • "If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
  • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
  • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly."
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

CDC's recommendations (BBM):
"CDC continues to study the spread and effects of the novel coronavirus across the United States. We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms. This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms. In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

It is critical to emphasize that maintaining 6-feet social distancing remains important to slowing the spread of the virus. CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

The cloth face coverings recommended are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators. Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance."

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Baker’s 3-foot social distancing discrepancy - CommonWealth Magazine

“Welcome to the coronavirus.”

GOV. CHARLIE BAKER indicated on Friday that he is willing to accept the fact his administration generally advocates for six feet of social distancing in most public spaces while the MBTA is using the World Health Organization’s three-foot standard when assessing crowding on subways and buses.

“I think it depends on the circumstances and the situation,” Baker said at a State House press conference. “I think if you’re going to be in a place for a long time indoors, the six feet issue is the right way to go. But if the WHO thinks three feet on public transportation, as long as you’re wearing a mask and everything else, I’m not going to argue with them.”
When it was pointed out that the US Centers for Disease Control recommends six feet of social distancing on public transit, Baker threw up his arms and said:
“Welcome to the coronavirus.”
more at link/Massachusetts

Can someone explain the antibody test for Covid? I understand basically what it means to have antibodies but how does one have a false positive? Don’t they look for specific antibodies? Either you have them or not? I am sorry is this has been explained. TIA.

Answering @margarita25 bat call....

Most of the time, it's due to cross reactivity with another protein or some interference that you get a false positive. Test specificity (vs. sensitivity where you look at for false negatives) range from 85% up that I've seen tested at https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.25.20074856v1.full.pdf .
85% specificity is baaaaaaaaaad. That means 15% are false positives.

Could also be reader error, as sometimes there negatives which the reader would incorrectly call a "weak" positive.

There are a LOT of bad tests on the market right now MOO. Hopefully, your doctor is using THE test with the highest sensitivity at this time in the pandemic.

Most importantly, and get ready to be blown away when you understand (ha, after watching two times) Prevalence determines positive and negative predictive values. Positive/negative predictive value calculation...This is what is most important as to how to interpret from a clinician and epidemiological viewpoint.

Start at about 2 minutes in to understand false positives for antibodies.

There is new information from the CDC that COVID 19 antibody testing in populations with a low prevalence of infection results in a high number of false positives (even if the test has a specificity of 95%). Dr. Seheult illustrates why the positive predictive value (and negative predictive value) are generally more helpful than sensitivity and specificity alone (This video was recorded on May 28, 2020)

ETA: Good update from CDC Information for Laboratories about Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Last edited:

That article is referencing a report the WHO put out in March. IMO at that time there was still a public effort to conserve masks (n95s) for health care workers. Now that there are cloth and surgical masks available, the advice has been updated to "yes, wearing masks helps reduce transmission even if it doesn't block the virus 100%".

So I lay the fault in this instance on Fox News for republicizing obsolete advice in a fluid situation where expert advice is changing week to week. IMO MOO

AAMC Statement on U.S. Withdrawal from World Health Organization

AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges) Chief Scientific Officer Ross McKinney, Jr., MD, issued the following statement on President Trump’s announcement to end the United States’ relationship with the World Health Organization (WHO):

“The AAMC is extremely disappointed in the president’s decision to withdraw the United States from the WHO. In the midst of the global COVID-19 pandemic, countries of the world should be working together to improve the health of all people. This decision is counter to that goal.

Since its foundation in 1948, the WHO has been at the center of international efforts to fight for better health, and the United States has been a key partner in the organization and its success.

The president’s decision to leave the WHO is very troubling, in both the short- and long-terms, and we hope the decision is soon reversed. The world needs a collaborative effort now, more than ever, to resolve our ongoing crisis and prepare for future global health emergencies.”

Exactly.

Just as an example China (population 1,439,323,776) contributes $50 million dollars, approx the same as Canada, that has a population of only 37 million. UK ( population 67 million) contributes $230 million while the US contributes $400 million.

How is the World Health Organization funded?
That article is referencing a report the WHO put out in March. IMO at that time there was still a public effort to conserve masks (n95s) for health care workers. Now that there are cloth and surgical masks available, the advice has been updated to "yes, wearing masks helps reduce transmission even if it doesn't block the virus 100%".

So I lay the fault in this instance on Fox News for republicizing obsolete advice in a fluid situation where expert advice is changing week to week. IMO MOO

Thanks- i looked at the date of the article it was May 28-so Fox is at fault for republishing
an old article

Five-month-old Brazilian baby survives coronavirus after 32 days in coma - CNN

Sao Paulo, Brazil (CNN)After spending a month in an induced coma due to Covid-19, Dom, a 5-month-old Brazilian baby, gets to go home and celebrate his 6-month birthday.
A few months after he was born, Dom was diagnosed with Covid-19 at the Pro-Cardiaco hospital in Rio de Janeiro.
He spent 54 days in the hospital -- 32 of them in an induced coma and connected to a ventilator, Dom's father, Wagner Andrade, told CNN.
More at link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member